DC Universe Classic Wave 13 Figures

synch

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=10&itemid=15182

Here is a look at Mattel's 13th wave of 6" DC Universe Classic figures wave. Included in this wave are the following:

- Donna Troy

- Blue Devil

- Blue Beetle (Modern)

- Superboy (Clone)

- Classic Cheetah

- Modern Cheetah

- Cyclotron (w/removable faceplate)

- Bandaged Negative Man

- Unbandaged Negative Man

Each figure will come with a "Collect-To-Connect" part to build a Trigon figure. You can pre-order these now at http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=1504&category=5894

• Like 3

Ever since TNI posted pictures of the wave 13 figures I've been thinking a lot about them. As much as I like the line (despite how hard they are to find sometimes) this wave just doesn't grab me. Yeah, there are certain figures in the wave that I want for my collection, and for those certain figures the horsemen really came through, but for other figures they could have done a lot better. Don't get me wrong ALL of the figures are sculpted beautifully, but I guess my biggest problem is I wish they(Mattel) had done certain characters before others. I mean there is a huge fan base out there for the Super Powers line but Cyclotron, really?? and then you have, Superboy in, what I believe, is his worst costume of all time. Mattel couldn't have done a variant/chase of the modern Superboy costume?? And I guess for me the list goes on but I won't drag this topic on with my gripes.

I will reluctantly be picking up this wave (hey how else am I gonna build my Trigon?... and don't say eBay!! hehe) in hopes that the next wave announced will have a better, more appealing cast.

• Like 1

Again Mattel annoys the living snot out of me, why is Negative man a variant, shouldn't DC Universe figures start coming with alternate heads instead of same bodies different heads...it is such a waste and with the cost of these per figure you would think they would reduce the number per wave. MOTUC is in the same price range and they get multiple heads, shouldn't DC figures start. I have never seen a more idiotic company in all my life. Now overall I like the Wave, except for the waste of the variant.

• Like 2

Again Mattel annoys the living snot out of me, why is Negative man a variant, shouldn't DC Universe figures start coming with alternate heads instead of same bodies different heads...it is such a waste and with the cost of these per figure you would think they would reduce the number per wave. MOTUC is in the same price range and they get multiple heads, shouldn't DC figures start. I have never seen a more idiotic company in all my life. Now overall I like the Wave, except for the waste of the variant.
Choose the one you want, if you don't want to buy both. I never buy both versions if the difference is unmasked/not. Norman Osborne, Terry McGinnis, Wolverine, Slade Wilson. I always choose one. This time, I'm gonna go Negative Man. Larry Trainor doesn't appeal to me because he only did that ONCE way back in the sixties. I plan on painting Negative Man's uniform to match DCUC Beast Boy.

Hmmm,...I love this wave myself and as far as the variants go if you can wait a little most of the time you can get the variants at regular price also. Since Trigon isn't on the nomal publics top ten want list and most people have never even heard of him I'm sure he'll be cheap in no time. Unlike a rare Metalo or Grundy who are more well known.

• Like 1

Choose the one you want, if you don't want to buy both. I never buy both versions if the difference is unmasked/not. Norman Osborne, Terry McGinnis, Wolverine, Slade Wilson. I always choose one. This time, I'm gonna go Negative Man. Larry Trainor doesn't appeal to me because he only did that ONCE way back in the sixties. I plan on painting Negative Man's uniform to match DCUC Beast Boy.

I am somewhat of a completist, so my OCD usually kicks in and I usually buy 1 variant and keep MOC, but it is a waste, tell me wouldn't it just of been better to have him as a head swap.

• Like 1

I am somewhat of a completist, so my OCD usually kicks in and I usually buy 1 variant and keep MOC, but it is a waste, tell me wouldn't it just've been better to have him as a head swap.
I never said I wouldn't prefer one figure with interchangeable heads. Deadpool had it; why can't everyone else?

Also, don't take this personally: the Grammar Nerd in me needs to point out that you used the word "of" improperly. You meant to use apostrophe-V-E ('ve) to show that the ommited word was "have." It's an exceptionally common error. Rorschach, from Alan Moore's and Dave Gibbon's Watchmen, makes it in his journal. It was done intentionally to show he's been poorly educated.

• Like 1

Like most waves there are some I really am excited about and have been waiting a long time for to be done in action figure form or done better like classic Cheetah and a few that I'm lukewarm on like Negative Man. I love the Super Powers line so I'm thrilled to see Cyclotron being done. Superboy is a nice addition to the Reign of Superman. BD and BB are cool figures visually on the shelf. Negative Man is okay but I would have preferred the energy tranlucent variant of him over the one we are getting here. Trigon is the first BaF I'm not that crazy about since Atom Smasher.

I think wave 12 is a tad bit stronger.

I can see this wave as being particularly divisive. Even the widely praised Waves 9 and 11 have their Guardians, who aroused a big "Who?" and "Why?" from many fans and the Shark, who gets a big "Why him?" so no wave ever got a hundred percent approval from everyone but Wave 13 is really all over the place in it's level of appeal. Much of it is due not just to character selection but the choice of which version of the character was selected.

Here are my thoughts...

Donna Troy:This is one of the figures I'm looking forward too in this wave and this is the version I wanted. The Titans have been all over the place in this line. We get a Classic Cyborg, a boyish Kid Flash, and a modern Nightwing and Beast Boy. The George Perez era is my favorite so I'm happy to see a classic Wonder Girl. A modern star-pattern garbed Donna Troy should've been a natural variant and probably would've satisfied more fans.

Blue Devil: Either you like Blue Devil or you don't. Most likely this character's appeal depends on whether or not you enjoyed his early comic book appearances. He's almost a completely unrecognizable character now in the comics. I was there for Blue Devil. I love the character and I'm looking forward to this figure. Visually he's spectacular and I'm certain the Four H did a great job with him.

Blue Beetle: Visually interesting, but I have no interest in this character or his figure.

Superboy: I could've lived without a Superboy figure. I would've been thrilled if this had been the Silver Age Superboy who was the young Superman, but I have no real love for this super clone particularly in this tacky 90's look that was already ridiculously dated when it was new! I might've been able to talk myself into it if it had been the black t-shirt version, but this... no. This one would hurt my eyes every time I saw it up on my self.

Classic Cheetah: Like many fans of the Legion Of Doom, I'm looking forward to this one too.

Modern Cheetah: This is one of the few instances in this line where I can see myself buying both versions of a character.

Cyclotron: An interesting figure visually, but honestly, I could live without this guy. I love the old Super Powers line too but there are many, many characters I'd like to see before Cyclotron... and by this wave, we're probably looking at a solid fifteen bucks per figure so I know I'll be picking and choosing and I won't be choosing this guy.

Negative Man: I love the Doom Patrol. I hope one day to find a Robotman and I'll happily stand this guy alongside him.

Variant Negative Man: I love the Doom Patrol but not enough to drop fifteen bucks on this fairly useless variant. I have to agree with the oster who suggested that this should've been an interchangeable head included with the regular figure instead of an entirely separate figure. I might've entertained the black energy version of N-Man, but not this one.

Trigon: Trigon looks great and I'd LOVE a Trigon C&C. I'm really going to have to wrestle with the decision of whether or not this Trigon is worth buying Superboy and Blue Beetle. Thankfully Mattel took pity on us and isn't strong-arming us into buying Cyclotron as he comes with a base I believe.

I'll probably pick up most of these - but I'll likely wait until I can score a good deal on them. IE - Entertainment Earth had a couple of waves at heavily discounted prices lately.

That said, the figures I'm most interested in are:

- Superboy (Clone)

- Modern Cheetah

This line is mediocre for me at best.

I will only be getting

Donna Troy (maybe)

Blue Devil

Superboy (Clone)

Modern Cheetah

For someone who says its mediocre you're getting half the wave right there :D @loll@

• Like 2

Hey everyone,

I'm glad for this wave, the baf is useless to me, I'm not interested in new versions of characters, and i don't care for Doom Patrol or whatever negative man is from.

The superboy figure will end the reign of superman scene for me. The classic Cheetah is one more closer to completing the legion of doom, (what's left? Toyman and a descent Riddler in tights, maybe a scarcrow redo?). The Donna Troy is fine for my Teen Titans version from the early 70's. I'm not raving about the Cyclotron, so maybe i'll pick him up on ebay in a year for like $3.00.

All in all, i see this wave bringing me closer to completing what i'm looking for in this toyline: Kirby 4th world, Classic Jla and JSA, Legion of Doom, and classic Teen titans. Other than those, I can wait to pick off for much less then the 15.00 retail price.

regards

Joshua

why is Negative man a variant, shouldn't DC Universe figures start coming with alternate heads instead of same bodies different heads...it is such a waste and with the cost of these per figure you would think they would reduce the number per wave.

I could not agree more. This is the exact same thing I thought about Deathtroke. And Deathstroke is a much more popular character than Negative Man. So if I thought that about Deathstroke, then I definitely think that about the Negative Man variant.

They should have instead done a Wonder Girl variant in the more modern version of the black costume. That seems to be a figure that people actually want. Maybe they thought two females with variants of each in the same wave was a bad idea. But if that is the case, why didn't they simply place Wonder Girl in a different wave? lol Weird decisions they make sometimes.

[quote name='LarryKoopa'

Also, don't take this personally: the Grammar Nerd in me needs to point out that you used the word "of" improperly. You meant to use apostrophe-V-E ('ve) to show that the ommited word was "have." It's an exceptionally common error. Rorschach, from Alan Moore's and Dave Gibbon's Watchmen, makes it in his journal. It was done intentionally to show he's been poorly educated.

It's ok, I am use to pretentious weaselettes correcting grammar on TNI

Also I didn't say you wouldn't want an alternate head, I was asking the question of which would you prefer,

why is Negative man a variant, shouldn't DC Universe figures start coming with alternate heads instead of same bodies different heads...it is such a waste and with the cost of these per figure you would think they would reduce the number per wave.

I could not agree more. This is the exact same thing I thought about Deathtroke. And Deathstroke is a much more popular character than Negative Man. So if I thought that about Deathstroke, then I definitely think that about the Negative Man variant.

They should have instead done a Wonder Girl variant in the more modern version of the black costume. That seems to be a figure that people actually want. Maybe they thought two females with variants of each in the same wave was a bad idea. But if that is the case, why didn't they simply place Wonder Girl in a different wave? lol Weird decisions they make sometimes.

Mattel is a shitty company with poor critical thinking skills, they can't even make figures with heads that go up and down anymore, like its the hardest thing to do. Your right with Deathstroke, I totally forgot about that, in that case the same deal goes for Big Barda. If MOTUC figures come with alternate heads and they are prices 5-4 bucks more, then so should DCUC.

Your right with Deathstroke, I totally forgot about that, in that case the same deal goes for Big Barda.

Big Barda too, man. I forgot about her, myself, when making that comparison. And arguably both Deathstroke and Barda are more recognizable characters than Negative Man. But in both of those cases it was an embarassing waste of resources, and it does seem even moreso with Negative Man. It's too bad he's not easily customizable. I'd still feel like it was ridiculous to buy Negative Man twice just because he has a different head, even if I wanted it, but at least I'd have a base body I could easily customize into another character. I think Negative Man's body is sculpted in such a way that it would be difficult to turn him into anybody but him.

Moving on to other aspects of Wave 13, I think the Superboy will be great. I understand the design might not appeal to everyone, but I like the Reign of the Supermen stuff. He's the only one I consider essential to me from this assortment.

I like both of the Cheetahs.

Blue Devil is a character who is, to me, like someone like the Creeper. I love the oddballs, but I'm not sure how many from Wave 13 I will actually try to get.

Cyclotron is... Cyclotron. I admit I'd like to have all of the Super Powers collection figures in DCUC format, but if it wasn't for that I would have no interest whatsoever in this figure. And at $15 or more per figure, it makes it less and less essential.

Blue Beetle looks to be a great addition with his new articulation.

Wonder Girl is a great character but I'm not sure if I consider the figure an essential purchase yet.

Trigon, I'm not the biggest fan, but I agree it makes sense from other fan's perspective of wanting the main Teen Titans villain.

It's ok, I am use to pretentious weaselettes correcting grammar on TNI
ZING!
Also I didn't say you wouldn't want an alternate head, I was asking the question of which would you prefer,
From context, it's clear that I would prefer one figure with alternate heads, but I can cope with choosing between variants when I can't get my way.