Top DC figures YOU DON"T WANT in the DCUC line

Superpowers1980

I don't mind them *making* just about anybody, so long as they do it in a way that doesn't really 'force' me to buy them.

Cyclotron, for instance...I'm fine with him since from what I understand he will come with the stand for that wave rather than a CnC piece. When they trot out Golden Pharaoh and Samurai and whoeverelse, I'm hoping that remains true.

I love this topic, because my biggest problem with wave lineups when there being done is, why a character who is so obscure, The Guardian or 80's Vigilante instead of a possible villian for the B-lister in the wave. A sample would be for wave 8 instead of the Vigilante, how about "The Shade" JSA villian to Hawkgirl, Mr. Terrific, and Dr. Fate (all JSA Members) or wave 9 instead of The Gaurdian minus the News Boys? You could have used an GA Villian, like Rainbow Archer, the Red Dart, Clock King, Merlyn the Archer, Ozone, Printer's Devil. It's a stretch I admit but make a couple of line ups that make some kind of sense, like wave 3 or wave 11. Nightwing or Robin V Deathstroke, GL v Sinestro Perfect!

Green Lanterns John Stewart or Katma Tui or even Kilowog v Shark or Cyborg Superman Hank Henshaw.

I have no problem with figures like Mantis (if you can find him) as a new god addition or Robotman if your gonna add future Doom patrol Members, but I'm just frustrated when I see Guardian being made before

Martian Manhunter

Professor Zoom

Vixen

Ra's Alghul

Shinning Knight

Circe

Hawk and Dove

GL Kyle Rayner or Guy G.

Any Blackest Knight Characters?

Ravager

Jericho

I could go on and on, but I digress.

I don't mind them *making* just about anybody, so long as they do it in a way that doesn't really 'force' me to buy them.

Cyclotron, for instance...I'm fine with him since from what I understand he will come with the stand for that wave rather than a CnC piece. When they trot out Golden Pharaoh and Samurai and whoeverelse, I'm hoping that remains true.

Yeah, I really want the wave 12 Darkseid CnC, but the only fig I want from the set is Mary Baston.

I agree with Soul Talonbender

No more Supes or Bats

I love this topic, because my biggest problem with wave lineups when there being done is, why a character who is so obscure, The Guardian or 80's Vigilante instead of a possible villian for the B-lister in the wave. A sample would be for wave 8 instead of the Vigilante, how about "The Shade" JSA villian to Hawkgirl, Mr. Terrific, and Dr. Fate (all JSA Members) or wave 9 instead of The Gaurdian minus the News Boys? You could have used an GA Villian, like Rainbow Archer, the Red Dart, Clock King, Merlyn the Archer, Ozone, Printer's Devil. It's a stretch I admit but make a couple of line ups that make some kind of sense, like wave 3 or wave 11. Nightwing or Robin V Deathstroke, GL v Sinestro Perfect!

Green Lanterns John Stewart or Katma Tui or even Kilowog v Shark or Cyborg Superman Hank Henshaw.

I have no problem with figures like Mantis (if you can find him) as a new god addition or Robotman if your gonna add future Doom patrol Members, but I'm just frustrated when I see Guardian being made before

Martian Manhunter

Professor Zoom

Vixen

Ra's Alghul

Shinning Knight

Circe

Hawk and Dove

GL Kyle Rayner or Guy G.

Ravager

Jericho

not trying to start a fight, but that seems to be a "cry baby" list. Lord knows we all have them!

1.) youre mad that the shining knight wasnt made before gaurdian? i mean, arent they a tie in the "popularity" dept?

2.) blackest night? c'mon! with all of the things that happened in the DC universe pre-dating that arc, you wont be seeing any BN characters for a while.

3.) kyle and guy....kyle and guy....theyre lanterns! i.e.....anchors. we all know what anchors are for.

4.) vixen. she's a given! females dont even make up one third of the DC universe, so spacing them out makes sense.

5.) hawk and dove. theyre a given as well. maybe in a two pack, or maybe in a later wave, but theyre coming!

6.) good 'ole martian manhunter. we allknow that that b*stard's coming in some wave, so whats the rush?

again, im not trying to "bash" your opinion. if you feel that the characters that you named should be made into figs, thats your right. i just think that replacing "lesser known" or "C" or "D"-listers with "A" or "B"-listers is a sure way to kill the line. and even though i know that matty (like every company) is going to throw in a bunch of variations of the "heavy hitters," (some needed, some not) it'll be nice to have a line that didnt do what marvel legends did, and fill every wave with some form of their "big guns." i also like the fact that we can complete a whole team for once.

• Like 1

Martian Manhunter

Professor Zoom

Vixen

Ra's Alghul

Shinning Knight

Circe

Hawk and Dove

GL Kyle Rayner or Guy G.

Ravager

Jericho

not trying to start a fight, but that seems to be a "cry baby" list. Lord knows we all have them!

1.) youre mad that the shining knight wasnt made before gaurdian? i mean, arent they a tie in the "popularity" dept?

2.) blackest night? c'mon! with all of the things that happened in the DC universe pre-dating that arc, you wont be seeing any BN characters for a while.

3.) kyle and guy....kyle and guy....theyre lanterns! i.e.....anchors. we all know what anchors are for.

4.) vixen. she's a given! females dont even make up one third of the DC universe, so spacing them out makes sense.

5.) hawk and dove. theyre a given as well. maybe in a two pack, or maybe in a later wave, but theyre coming!

6.) good 'ole martian manhunter. we allknow that that b*stard's coming in some wave, so whats the rush?

again, im not trying to "bash" your opinion. if you feel that the characters that you named should be made into figs, thats your right. i just think that replacing "lesser known" or "C" or "D"-listers with "A" or "B"-listers is a sure way to kill the line. and even though i know that matty (like every company) is going to throw in a bunch of variations of the "heavy hitters," (some needed, some not) it'll be nice to have a line that didnt do what marvel legends did, and fill every wave with some form of their "big guns." i also like the fact that we can complete a whole team for once.

Boo hoo

Martian Manhunter

Professor Zoom

Vixen

Ra's Alghul

Shinning Knight

Circe

Hawk and Dove

GL Kyle Rayner or Guy G.

Ravager

Jericho

Boo hoo

got that right!

Martian Manhunter

Professor Zoom

Vixen

Ra's Alghul

Shinning Knight

Circe

Hawk and Dove

GL Kyle Rayner or Guy G.

Ravager

Jericho

Boo hoo

got that right!

Just asking for more figures, wow touchy

Martian Manhunter

Professor Zoom

Vixen

Ra's Alghul

Shinning Knight

Circe

Hawk and Dove

GL Kyle Rayner or Guy G.

Ravager

Jericho

Boo hoo

got that right!

Just asking for more figures, wow touchy

funny. you view that as me being touchy, instead of me agreeing with you.(in a vague way)

I love your post, what other crappy characters don't deserve plastic?

Thank you. Since you ask, there are a couple of other characters I never want to see clutter up DCUC waves...

1. Kamandi: There! I said it! I know it's heresy to besmirch the name of Kirby but the King wasn't batting all home runs during the 70's and given DCUC's preoccupation with anything he created, we have to stop this one while we can. While I'm okay with Kamandi as a character... He was actually one of the high points of DC's recent Wednesday Comics series... but I'm not ready to shell out fifteen bucks for a figure of a shirtless boy with ripped jeans and Fabio hair. He's too close to a Barbie doll for my comfort.

2. The Newsboy Legion: With the inclusion of the Guardian in Wave 9, I strongly feared this pack of street orphans would get the New Gods treatment where each wave would include one of these dated cliched newsies. I have no use for Big Words, Flippa Dippa, and the rest.

3. The Tattooed Man: Green Lantern actually has a decent, very underrated rogue's gallery... Sinestro, Doctor Polaris, Goldface, Evil Star, the Manhunters... but this steroid-mongering Popeye clone with his ability to touch himself and animate his body art tested even my tolerance for the absurd!

4. The Red Firestorm: Clearly John Ostrander fell in love with the Watchmen's Dr. Manhattan because thats what he turned Firestorm the Nuclear Man into right down to his emotionless personality and his bare feet. Although a promising storyline initially, Ostrander crushed any charm this book had as quickly as he squelched Firestorm's personality. This was a definite jump the shark moment for Stormy. The book became boring and the character unlikable from there on. Unbelievably, the character would never be fixed again!

5. The Super Twins: No. Not the Wonder Twins. The Super Twins! "Who?" you ask? Well, part of John Byrne's slow decline included a seemingly endless stint writing and illustrating Generations, about three mini-series dealing with the initially promising premise of what if Superman and Batman had aged normally right after their first appearances in the late 30's. Let's face it. If Byrne has any artistic niche left, it's drawing in a faux simplistic style that evocative of a fusion between C.C. Beck, Dick Sprang, and Joe Shuster. Although engaging at first, the series would not go away and eventually felt like Byrne was writing self-indulgent fan-fiction about the off-springs, sidekicks and endless variations of Superman, Supergirl, Batman, Batwoman, Robin I, Robin II, etc. etc. I'd be disappointed to see figures made of Byrne's "Mary Sue's"... BJ Wayne, Joel Kent, the Super Twins and all of their endless variants.

6. Gypsy: A definite low-point for the venerable Justice League, I would honestly entertain a Vibe figure before I'd even look at this low rent Kitty Pryde knock-off.

7. Looker: DC has some of the BEST super hero costume designs out there... Kid Flash, Green Lantern, Cockrum's Lightning Lad... and then it also has one of the WORST! Gentlemen... I give you Looker! I love the original Batman and the Outsiders and the great, late Jim Aparo, but like great parents who mysteriously raise a serial killer, they gave us Looker, an empath dressed in a black, white and pink color scheme adorned with a big bow! Bleh!

8. Pied Piper: The Flash definitely has a rich cast of villains and even though many beg the question, "How does THAT guy go up against the Fastest Man Alive?" many of them... Captain Cold, Weather Wizard, The Trickster, Professor Zoom... remain very popular and frequently requested figures. The bottom of that list for me would be the flute-playing Pied Piper who suffers from a dumb look as well as a dumb gimmick that once again tests the boundaries of even my tolerance for dumb ideas. Throw in all musical menaces like the Fiddler as well.

9. Risk: When a super-team as been around as long as the Teen Titans, there are bound to be low points. Risk is one of those members that if you remember him at all, then you've probably read too many lousy comics from the 90's. Last I heard of Risk, he'd had BOTH arms gruesomely ripped off by Superboy-Prime. Let's hope writers finally show some restraint and leave him in limbo. Throw in other forgettable Titans like Mal, Gnark, Kole and Azrael!

10. Rampage: I know John Byrne's Superman has its fans but once Byrne started the regular Superman series, it just read like unending filler stories. There was an interesting Luthor story here and there and that mass execution of the Phantom Zone villains but after his house-cleaning, Byrne brought very little to the Man of Steel other than a slew of very forgettable villains like this Hulk-She-Hulk mash, Rampage. I mentioned Bloodsport last time so let's just throw in Skyhook and Host while we're here.

• Like 1

Thank you. Since you ask, there are a couple of other characters I never want to see clutter up DCUC waves...

1. Kamandi:

Yes Kamandi sucks big time, someone requested him on another website and I was like wtf...who even cares, you said it a shirtless boy, with cut off jeans with salon style hair....ummm ok, no thanks

2. The Newsboy Legion:

Again, who even cares about some plain clothes kids

3. The Tattooed Man:

This is one, I don't mind so much, yes he sucks but not as bad as the shuckin and jivin Amazing man....

4. The Red Firestorm:

I think I know which one you are talking about, though I wouldn't mind this one down the line

5. The Super Twins:

I read the Generations storyline, started off good and went total nuts. dark haired supergirl, and Superman's son in a Lex outfit, no thanks

6. Gypsy:

I am torn, she isn't very superish in the least

7. Looker:

I thought the chick who makes crystals had a terrible costume, well she has met an even partner in the Looker

8. Pied Piper:

Yeah, I don't mind some silly villains but he takes the cake

9. Risk:

?

10. Rampage:

She is the daughter on Mongul right, I don't mind her much either, but I understand your point...lol

you guys are bringing up characters I totally hate but forget about...lol

• Like 1

1. Kamandi: There! I said it! I know it's heresy to besmirch the name of Kirby but the King wasn't batting all home runs during the 70's and given DCUC's preoccupation with anything he created, we have to stop this one while we can. While I'm okay with Kamandi as a character... He was actually one of the high points of DC's recent Wednesday Comics series... but I'm not ready to shell out fifteen bucks for a figure of a shirtless boy with ripped jeans and Fabio hair. He's too close to a Barbie doll for my comfort.

2. The Newsboy Legion: With the inclusion of the Guardian in Wave 9, I strongly feared this pack of street orphans would get the New Gods treatment where each wave would include one of these dated cliched newsies. I have no use for Big Words, Flippa Dippa, and the rest.

3. The Tattooed Man: Green Lantern actually has a decent, very underrated rogue's gallery... Sinestro, Doctor Polaris, Goldface, Evil Star, the Manhunters... but this steroid-mongering Popeye clone with his ability to touch himself and animate his body art tested even my tolerance for the absurd!

4. The Red Firestorm: Clearly John Ostrander fell in love with the Watchmen's Dr. Manhattan because thats what he turned Firestorm the Nuclear Man into right down to his emotionless personality and his bare feet. Although a promising storyline initially, Ostrander crushed any charm this book had as quickly as he squelched Firestorm's personality. This was a definite jump the shark moment for Stormy. The book became boring and the character unlikable from there on. Unbelievably, the character would never be fixed again!

5. The Super Twins: No. Not the Wonder Twins. The Super Twins! "Who?" you ask? Well, part of John Byrne's slow decline included a seemingly endless stint writing and illustrating Generations, about three mini-series dealing with the initially promising premise of what if Superman and Batman had aged normally right after their first appearances in the late 30's. Let's face it. If Byrne has any artistic niche left, it's drawing in a faux simplistic style that evocative of a fusion between C.C. Beck, Dick Sprang, and Joe Shuster. Although engaging at first, the series would not go away and eventually felt like Byrne was writing self-indulgent fan-fiction about the off-springs, sidekicks and endless variations of Superman, Supergirl, Batman, Batwoman, Robin I, Robin II, etc. etc. I'd be disappointed to see figures made of Byrne's "Mary Sue's"... BJ Wayne, Joel Kent, the Super Twins and all of their endless variants.

6. Gypsy: A definite low-point for the venerable Justice League, I would honestly entertain a Vibe figure before I'd even look at this low rent Kitty Pryde knock-off.

7. Looker: DC has some of the BEST super hero costume designs out there... Kid Flash, Green Lantern, Cockrum's Lightning Lad... and then it also has one of the WORST! Gentlemen... I give you Looker! I love the original Batman and the Outsiders and the great, late Jim Aparo, but like great parents who mysteriously raise a serial killer, they gave us Looker, an empath dressed in a black, white and pink color scheme adorned with a big bow! Bleh!

8. Pied Piper: The Flash definitely has a rich cast of villains and even though many beg the question, "How does THAT guy go up against the Fastest Man Alive?" many of them... Captain Cold, Weather Wizard, The Trickster, Professor Zoom... remain very popular and frequently requested figures. The bottom of that list for me would be the flute-playing Pied Piper who suffers from a dumb look as well as a dumb gimmick that once again tests the boundaries of even my tolerance for dumb ideas. Throw in all musical menaces like the Fiddler as well.

9. Risk: When a super-team as been around as long as the Teen Titans, there are bound to be low points. Risk is one of those members that if you remember him at all, then you've probably read too many lousy comics from the 90's. Last I heard of Risk, he'd had BOTH arms gruesomely ripped off by Superboy-Prime. Let's hope writers finally show some restraint and leave him in limbo. Throw in other forgettable Titans like Mal, Gnark, Kole and Azrael!

10. Rampage: I know John Byrne's Superman has its fans but once Byrne started the regular Superman series, it just read like unending filler stories. There was an interesting Luthor story here and there and that mass execution of the Phantom Zone villains but after his house-cleaning, Byrne brought very little to the Man of Steel other than a slew of very forgettable villains like this Hulk-She-Hulk mash, Rampage. I mentioned Bloodsport last time so let's just throw in Skyhook and Host while we're here.

Other then Gypsy I have never hear of any of these characters so it wouldn't bug me if they didn't do them. Not saying that I want Gypsy cause I don't.

10. Rampage:

She is the daughter on Mongul right, I don't mind her much either, but I understand your point...lol

No. Rampage was Kitty Faulkner, a S.T.A.R. Labs scientist, who through some lab accident/ experiment gone awry was turned into a giant hulking savage-minded monster with yellow skin and red or purple mohawk. As the savage Rampage, Rampage went on a rampage through Metropolis until Superman put a stop to her. At the end of her first appearance, Rampage was cured and Kitty Faulkner became a recurring scientist at S.T.A.R. Labs. On occasion though, different circumstances would cause her to revert to her Rampage form. I don't know where she is nowadays.

Rampage could occasionally be seen in the background during the Legion Of Doom scenes in JLU's final season. As far as I know, she never made an appearance on the Superman animated series.

10. Rampage:

No. Rampage was Kitty Faulkner, a S.T.A.R. Labs scientist, who through some lab accident/ experiment gone awry was turned into a giant hulking savage-minded monster with yellow skin and red or purple mohawk. As the savage Rampage, Rampage went on a rampage through Metropolis until Superman put a stop to her. At the end of her first appearance, Rampage was cured and Kitty Faulkner became a recurring scientist at S.T.A.R. Labs. On occasion though, different circumstances would cause her to revert to her Rampage form. I don't know where she is nowadays.

Rampage could occasionally be seen in the background during the Legion Of Doom scenes in JLU's final season. As far as I know, she never made an appearance on the Superman animated series.

Sounds like one of the less inspired ideas from Byrne's Superman relaunch. Those were some of the first comics I ever read. I think my parents bought me a three pack that had Superman numbers 19, 20 and 21 in it, and I tried to continue reading from there back when you could still find those comics display racks at convenience stores. I doubt I had any idea at the time before reading them that those Superman stories were supposed to be a drastic rewrite of what had come before, much less what a Crisis On Infinite Earhs was.

I like some of what he did with the Superman mythos such as the introduction of the Matrix version of Supergirl. But what is it with John Byrne naming characters Kitty?

1-WENDY & MARVIN

2-RIMA THE JUNGLE GIRL

3-THE PRANKSTER

4-John Byrne's TOYMAN

5-SPIDER JERUSALEM or any other obscure VERTIGO character

6-GYPSY

7-BAT-MITE

8-Alan Moore's MR. MXYZPTLK

9-RAINBOW BATMAN

10-BIBBO

11-TITANO

12-TURTLE-MAN (THE FLASH ROGUE or JIMMY OLSEN'S)

13-CAPTAIN CARROT & THE ZOO CREW

14-THE HACKLER

15-MADAME XANADU

THEY WOULD BE A WASTE OF PLASTIC & SPACE.

Sounds like one of the less inspired ideas from Byrne's Superman relaunch. Those were some of the first comics I ever read. I think my parents bought me a three pack that had Superman numbers 19, 20 and 21 in it, and I tried to continue reading from there back when you could still find those comics display racks at convenience stores. I doubt I had any idea at the time before reading them that those Superman stories were supposed to be a drastic rewrite of what had come before, much less what a Crisis On Infinite Earhs was.

I like some of what he did with the Superman mythos such as the introduction of the Matrix version of Supergirl. But what is it with John Byrne naming characters Kitty?

This was a sad time to be a Superman fan. Sadly, it never got any better.

As a long time Superman fan, the Superman of the Silver Age even with all its silly trappings, remains my favorite incarnation of the Man of Steel. By 1986, though, many critics of the time claimed that Superman had become bogged down by his own history or those very light-hearted Silver Age aspects of his mythology. This wasn't really the case. The writers of his books just weren't doing anything interesting with him. Whether this was due to their own creative limitations or excessive editorial intervention, the Superman books were just churning out single issue stories that lacked consequence or direction. In fact, the Superman book was putting out too ten page stories while Action Comics had almost turned into Ambush Bug Comics as the popular pest appeared so regularly he seemed to be displacing the Man of Steel himself.

When John Byrne was announced as spearheading a major revision of Superman and his titles, it was a very welcome announcement. It was also a huge shock! Of the two major comic book companies, Marvel and DC, DC absolutely had a well-earned reputation as being far more conservative and highly protectived of it's characters' status quos. After Crisis On Infinite Earths, though, all bets were off! DC was like a sheltered Catholic school kid who tried crack for the first time and really, really liked it. They were taking a shotgun to all their characters' histories left and right! Many of us expected that same creativity and direction Byrne had infused the Fantastic Four and the X-Men with over at Marvel. We were looking for Byrne to "Marvel-ize" Superman. His revamp of the Superman origin in the Man of Steel mini-series was an all-too drastic dismissal of Superman's established mythology in favor for an approach that was a little less fantastic but also far less interesting. A lot of the fun aspects of Superman's world were amputated. Krypton was no longer an interesting, flashy, wonderous civilization. Lana Lang was a neurotic stalker. Superman couldn't exist in space. He had no Fortress of Solitude. There were no other Kryptonians for him to interact with. (Some see this as a plus, but I missed Supergirl, Krypto, the Kandorians, and especially the Phantom Zone Villains.)

While Man Of Steel left me lukewarm, I still looked forward to Byrne's work on the regular Superman titles. Surely once he sank his teeth into the monthly books, we'd see a direction and a rebuilding of the vast wondrous Superman universe. Again I was let down. We had a mildly interesting re-introduction of Metallo (a bit too Terminator influenced for me but I'll take him.) and Luthor's re-invention usually delivered (Credit goes to Marv Wolfman for Luthor. Just prior to Byrne's revamp, Wolfman had been doing with Vandal Savage what would be done with Luthor post-revamp.) Beyond that though, the regular Superman books really felt like a string of filler issues and a continuation of those single issue done-in-one stories that had preceded the revamp. The only difference was that these were drawn by Byrne. I couldn't say if perhaps Byrne just didn't know where to take the character or whether he suffered from to much intervention from the higher-ups at DC or Warners. He did have to suffer through clumsy forced tie-ins with two clunky crossover events, Legends and later the truly God awful Millenium mini-series. Both events may have derailed or at least rattled Byrne's own plans. Finally, Byrne had to wrestle with Superman's fiftieth anniversary and all of the corporate intervention involved with that milestone. By his own account, this is what prompted him to leave Superman all together.

All told, Byrne's tenure was a little over two year. In the end, his run feels like a building contractor who demolished a house but quits the job before he finished rebuilding it. Sadly, Superman never really recovered from this.

I read something somewhere about Mattel making Kamandi

That would be great!

Kamandi was an awesome comic series and the figure would be fairly unique. Not to mention some of his supporting cast of characters. Lots of crazy awesome going on in that series.

Folks are really forgetting that despite what you think that "crappy character" is somebody's favorite character.

Don't want it in the DCUC line?

How about you just don't buy it?

Worked for me and Killer Moth. Nothing against his fans. ;)

• Like 1