Playmates line put on hold

Illinoisguy1

Anyone know if Playmates has the license for Star Trek 2 as well? Give it to Hasbro! They put out some pretty good product in 2010 - the Star Wars figures were great, and the Marvel stuff showed massive improvement. If the Star Trek figures had been as good as the Iron Man 2 figures, I'd own every single one.

Then, they could do what Hasbro did with IM2 - sneak some "classic" figs in with the movie stuff. That builds collector buzz, which I happen to think is crucial these days.

Yes my friend...that is the dream for me. I sooo wish Hasbro would do a line of 3-3/4" Star Trek figures, especially from the new films. Last April Fool's Day I read an announcement saying they had snagged the rights, and of course it turned out to be an April Fool's joke. I was so very disappointed. (lol)

And speaking of the Iron Man 2 line...I've always been somewhat of an Iron Man fan, but I never bought the comics or figures or anything, although I loved the first movie. But I've recently been introduced to the new toys by my nephew. I'd go to my mom's and he'd have a couple laying around, and I'd think they were so cool. The first time I found his classic War Machine figure lying in the floor, and I was so impressed with it I went straight to Wal-Mart on the way home and bought myself one. (lol) Then earlier this evening, I was there and my nephew was wearing his new Mark VI Iron Man figure around his neck with a rubber-band (lol), and it too was very cool. Then he told me he had dropped his other Iron Man figure down under the pool deck, and when I got it for him, it was the classic stealth armor version, and I was just so intrigued with it. I probably played with it as much as he did. (lol) Long story short, I agree that the Iron Man 2 line is very well done, and I'm seriously considering collecting it.

What...this is the Star Trek boards? Oh yeah...sorry. (lol)

Yeah, they just did everything right with the IM2 stuff. And I do think it's relevant, because we're talking about the ways that the Playmates line failed. Hasbro beat Playmates by having better character selection (mostly movie, some "classic"), better articulation (the hip balls mostly), better paint, and cooler accessories.

Playmates didn't utterly fail, not at all. They did include stands, had pretty decent artic (just not as good as IM2), and a few of the face sculpts were pretty good (Spock).

How old is that young man with the improved superhero necklace? Sounds like a fun crew to pal around with, for sure. Kids make me feel happy when they're having fun being a kid.

It's really easy to condem a line after the fact but I think Playmates did a good job of focasing on what they wanted tio do at the time. They had a "NEW" Star Trek movie to promote and they created toys that went with the movie. The big problem was that kids just weren't that interested and collectors are looking for something "more" out of toys. I think the quiality and price point for the toys were pretty good and that if any other company would have got them that the figures would have been two or three dollars more and the two playset we got, well we either wouldn't have gotten them or the price would ahve been above $30 abd probably closer to $40.

Star trek just hasn't been a big seller for quite a while and fans can pick apart a line really fast. Hopefully well get stuff for the next movie and hopefully Playmates (if they do anything or still have the rights) will have learned from there mistakes.

It's really easy to condem a line after the fact but I think Playmates did a good job of focasing on what they wanted tio do at the time. They had a "NEW" Star Trek movie to promote and they created toys that went with the movie. The big problem was that kids just weren't that interested and collectors are looking for something "more" out of toys. I think the quiality and price point for the toys were pretty good and that if any other company would have got them that the figures would have been two or three dollars more and the two playset we got, well we either wouldn't have gotten them or the price would ahve been above $30 abd probably closer to $40.

Star trek just hasn't been a big seller for quite a while and fans can pick apart a line really fast. Hopefully well get stuff for the next movie and hopefully Playmates (if they do anything or still have the rights) will have learned from there mistakes.

And hopefully if/when they do Playmates and DST work closely together in developing the new line. Let Playmates do a retail line in 3 3/4" and DST tackle the 7" scale. I'm not condemning the Playmates line I loved it, but I would have loved it more with a little more attention to details. It would have been a little better if they would have been closer to 4" with more innovative articulation and details. I am definately keeping my fingers crossed for more from Playmates in the future. I hope they will do a proper bridge playset next time and include some of that electronic voice captures like they did with The Simpsons: World of Sprinfield playsets.

Yeah, they just did everything right with the IM2 stuff. And I do think it's relevant, because we're talking about the ways that the Playmates line failed. Hasbro beat Playmates by having better character selection (mostly movie, some "classic"), better articulation (the hip balls mostly), better paint, and cooler accessories.

Playmates didn't utterly fail, not at all. They did include stands, had pretty decent artic (just not as good as IM2), and a few of the face sculpts were pretty good (Spock).

How old is that young man with the improved superhero necklace? Sounds like a fun crew to pal around with, for sure. Kids make me feel happy when they're having fun being a kid.

I think somehow the IM2 figures look kinda cheap in the packaging (at least to me sometimes), but it's completely deceptive. They're great when you have them in-hand. I'd love to get my hands on a few more of 'em.

And speaking of the Spock figure from Playmates' Star Trek line having a great sculpt, I bought a couple at Big Lots back in the spring, and I was very impressed with the head-sculpt they sported. They really seemed painted better and more detailed than the first one I bought; it's almost as if they did two different head sculpts, because the initial figure I got earlier when they first came out seemed to have a paler skin tone. These newer ones look great. No, I loved this line. I didn't see it as a complete failure personally either.

And h3llfish, my nephew's probably six or so. He absolutely loves anything superhero-related. First it was the Hulk, then Spider-man, then it was Batman, and now he's moved on to Iron Man. He really could have been my son, he loves action figures and video games so much. All of my nieces and nephews have a way of making me feel like a big kid even moreso than I already do sometimes. They're the true fountain of youth. (lol)

Now that would be awesome if Hasbro could create an all encompasing line as Playmates once had!! I don't know if I'd want such small figures, but if they were made with the kind of attention to detail as they do with Star Wars figures, it'd be awesome!!!

Imagine h3llfish if we could get as many background characters as Hasbro likes to do in Star Wars, man they'd surpass the old Playmates line easily!!

Now that would be awesome if Hasbro could create an all encompasing line as Playmates once had!! I don't know if I'd want such small figures, but if they were made with the kind of attention to detail as they do with Star Wars figures, it'd be awesome!!!

Imagine h3llfish if we could get as many background characters as Hasbro likes to do in Star Wars, man they'd surpass the old Playmates line easily!!

Over in the forums at trektoy.com we have an good thread going on about this very subject. Please feel free to come over and add some more input into the thread. I'm hoping that enough of us can gather and show Hasbro that interest in a Hasbro Star Trek line is there. You can check the ongoing thread out here:

http://www.trektoy.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3872&st=80&start=80

• 2 weeks later...

Did they ever release the 12inch 2009 movie figure of Nero or Scotty, or Uhura? I was able to complete the 12" series CHEAP from toys R Us and Tuesday Morning but was not able to find any info on these 3? Anyone?

Thankspost-19646-12795039412804_thumb.jpgpost-19646-12795039493807_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I think somehow the IM2 figures look kinda cheap in the packaging (at least to me sometimes), but it's completely deceptive. They're great when you have them in-hand. I'd love to get my hands on a few more of 'em.

And speaking of the Spock figure from Playmates' Star Trek line having a great sculpt, I bought a couple at Big Lots back in the spring, and I was very impressed with the head-sculpt they sported. They really seemed painted better and more detailed than the first one I bought; it's almost as if they did two different head sculpts, because the initial figure I got earlier when they first came out seemed to have a paler skin tone. These newer ones look great. No, I loved this line. I didn't see it as a complete failure personally either.

And h3llfish, my nephew's probably six or so. He absolutely loves anything superhero-related. First it was the Hulk, then Spider-man, then it was Batman, and now he's moved on to Iron Man. He really could have been my son, he loves action figures and video games so much. All of my nieces and nephews have a way of making me feel like a big kid even moreso than I already do sometimes. They're the true fountain of youth. (lol)

If you still are looking for these figures we have tons of them at my Big Lots, might even still have the Bridge playset as well for $10 We also have the figures for $3 each at the Family Dollar stores out here in MA

Thanks for the heads-up Storetrooper. I think there are still quite a few left around here. I can't think of any I really need right now, unless your Big Lots or Family Dollar has Wave 2. Then I'd really be interested. (lol)

I can't believe it I wen into TRU yesterday my first time in a while and they still have the Trek figures at the clearance of $5 they were first marked down to almost 6 months ago plus the transporter and bridge.

Why in the world are TRU so stingy when i9t comes down to markdowns?

They have a $30 Transformer that has been there like a year not selling and still at regular price

I can't believe it I wen into TRU yesterday my first time in a while and they still have the Trek figures at the clearance of $5 they were first marked down to almost 6 months ago plus the transporter and bridge.

Why in the world are TRU so stingy when i9t comes down to markdowns?

They have a $30 Transformer that has been there like a year not selling and still at regular price

Sounds like my local K-Mart.