Playmates line put on hold

Illinoisguy1

I would have been shocked had the line continued. It was one of the most stagnant toy lines I have ever seen. Not really sure why. It wasn't a bad line. Just a little plain. I do hope they find a way to get the other bridge peices to us

I'm sorry KD i realy have to disagree the line was plain awful. They were barely articulated, had wonky proportions and poor actor likeness. this line deserved to bomb, they were simply bad toys.

Yeah, I would like to think movie studios would stop going to the cheapest bidder for some of this stuff. I'm sorry, but Playmates makes lousy figures. They were pretty good in the mid-nineties, but it's 15 years later and they seem to be using virtually the same techniques. Horrible, horrible figures.

Their vehicles aren't bad - I noticed that article talked about the cancellation of the Terminator line as well and that had a couple of interesting toys (paint aps aside). I've seen the A-10 and the Harvester in Mexico, but I guess those are going there to die.

The only sad spot for me is I was really hoping for a USS Kelvin to go along with the Enterprise. Beyond that, I wonder how long before this license expires so Diamond Select can start making stuff from the film?

I agree with Rev, these and the TS stuff was some of the crappiest toys I have ever seen...... Hardly any stores cary them and the ones that did clearanced them.... it tool the stuff to go 75% at my Target to clear out.

Draven

Its really funny back in 1992 when Playmates had the Trek license the figures did pretty well.Of course they were 6 inches at the time but the line chuged along till 1998 when Star Trek Inseretion came out then Playmates lost the licence.I was suoprised that Playmets didn't try to duplicate the detail on the new Trek figures as they did in the past.I was hoping for the shuttle craft.

Its really funny back in 1992 when Playmates had the Trek license the figures did pretty well.Of course they were 6 inches at the time but the line chuged along till 1998 when Star Trek Inseretion came out then Playmates lost the licence.I was suoprised that Playmets didn't try to duplicate the detail on the new Trek figures as they did in the past.I was hoping for the shuttle craft.

Yeah, that old line was great! There were just so many figures and great playsets too. Too bad there's no Star Trek line like it now adays.. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I had hoped for TOS or even TNG figures in this line, but sadly no. I agree with the sentiments that the figures lacked in articulation and general appearance, but they are figures, and they do fit in fairly well with my other ~4 inch stuff. I wouldn't have paid full price for the movie based stuff, and as it is I've managed to get everything but the bridge for 50% off or better.

• 3 months later...

I may be in the minority here, but I'm truly disappointed over this line being put on hold. And what makes it worse is the fact that Wave 2 is still being displayed on the Playmates main website. *sigh* These figures looked great in my humble opinion...

Now I know this toy line wasn't perfect by any means; Kirk and Scotty's head-sculpts weren't great, in either the 3-3/4" or 6" scales, some of the figures have a very limited range of motion in their knees and elbows, and many had either legs that were warped or too close together right out of the package. But to me there are way more positives than negatives.

First of all, the plastic used for these figures is alot better than you might expect. They just feel very solid and constructed very well when you have them in-hand. I was really suprised by that when I opened the first one.

Second, most if not all of these figures have alot better detailing than at least I expected judging by what they looked like in the packaging. I think that may have been at least one of the reasons why this line failed; the packaging doesn't showcase these figures as well as say, Hasbro does with their figures. Their packaging is usually eye-catching with a bright background that makes the figure stand out very well. And also, I don't think figures being posed in the package works well. If anything, it points the flaws out in a given figure. I think the wonky legs and awkward elbow and knee angles are much more apparent since these figures are pre-posed in the packaging. Perhaps this is another reason why they didn't sell so well, apart from the relatively high price point; you could easily see the flaws of the figures in the packaging, which maybe is a good thing for discerning collectors...

Now me personally, I don't mind the packaging. I actually like it, but I would have prefered there be a brighter background graphic behind the figure, like maybe have beaming graphics behind it to make it stand out more. I think something like that would have made a world of difference in catching buyers' attention.

Also, I think all of the figures should have at least had the same elbow articulation as the "cadet" figures. I really like them. They seem to have great articulation and alot of detail. To me they are really almost on par with Hasbro's figures in terms of quality. I think that's what's so disappointing for me, to know how cool the line could have been across the board had they all been as nice as the cadet figures. And really, I didn't think the Spock Prime and Nero figures were anything to sneeze at either. Even the so-called "bad" figures like Kirk have some great details in their hair and legs. I'm just not sure what they were thinking with the face-sculpt; it's not too awful bad (as long as you just look at it head-on) (lol), but it definitely doesn't look like Chris Pine. And poor Scotty looks like an angry, sun-burned Cabbage Patch Doll in the face. (lol)

One last thing; I like the accessories. I had read in other reviews that this was one of the line's strong points; the weapons are nicely detailed, painted well, and they fit in their respective figure's hands perfectly. And their not rubbery or warped like even Hasbro's are at times. You can even see the stitching in the phaser/communicator belt that some figures come with, and they fit snugly and perfectly around their waists.

I would have been completely happy and satisfied to get Wave 2, along with maybe a "yellow-shirt" Chekov. There's just some great figures in that wave, and now we may never see them produced, leaving a great big gaping hole in our collections. *sob*

And y'know, I would have also loved to see Spock Prime in his "jellyfish-ship" clothes, and wouldn't it have been cool to have some two-packs, like Spock Prime and Kirk in their Delta Vega "snow-clothes", along with a Federation Outpost two-pack with Scotty and his little friend? Or how about Cadet Kirk and Officer(?) Spock in their Federation hearing uniforms? Kirk and McCoy in their training uniforms? Maybe they could do a captain of the Kelvin and George Kirk two-pack. Gah...so much potential. I wish another proven company would see the potential in this line and restart a new 3-3/4" line. One can only hope...

• 3 weeks later...

Damn I wish I knew this before I went out and bought the playsets and the figures. Here in Australia, we didnt get the playset pieces with our figures so I had to buy them from the US. I got the playsets at about 60% off from our local store and picked up the figures (minus the pieces) at around 80% off (it was too good a bargain to pass up and I figures I could sell them on E-Bay for a little more and make enough to buy the better ones).

Then I got excited as I read about the second wave of figures, but having just learned about them not coming out now I wonder how I am going to be able to complete the playsets. I doubt they will be released here in Australia.

I may be in the minority here, but I'm truly disappointed over this line being put on hold. And what makes it worse is the fact that Wave 2 is still being displayed on the Playmates main website. *sigh* These figures looked great in my humble opinion...

Now I know this toy line wasn't perfect by any means; Kirk and Scotty's head-sculpts weren't great, in either the 3-3/4" or 6" scales, some of the figures have a very limited range of motion in their knees and elbows, and many had either legs that were warped or too close together right out of the package. But to me there are way more positives than negatives.

First of all, the plastic used for these figures is alot better than you might expect. They just feel very solid and constructed very well when you have them in-hand. I was really suprised by that when I opened the first one.

Second, most if not all of these figures have alot better detailing than at least I expected judging by what they looked like in the packaging. I think that may have been at least one of the reasons why this line failed; the packaging doesn't showcase these figures as well as say, Hasbro does with their figures. Their packaging is usually eye-catching with a bright background that makes the figure stand out very well. And also, I don't think figures being posed in the package works well. If anything, it points the flaws out in a given figure. I think the wonky legs and awkward elbow and knee angles are much more apparent since these figures are pre-posed in the packaging. Perhaps this is another reason why they didn't sell so well, apart from the relatively high price point; you could easily see the flaws of the figures in the packaging, which maybe is a good thing for discerning collectors...

Now me personally, I don't mind the packaging. I actually like it, but I would have prefered there be a brighter background graphic behind the figure, like maybe have beaming graphics behind it to make it stand out more. I think something like that would have made a world of difference in catching buyers' attention.

Also, I think all of the figures should have at least had the same elbow articulation as the "cadet" figures. I really like them. They seem to have great articulation and alot of detail. To me they are really almost on par with Hasbro's figures in terms of quality. I think that's what's so disappointing for me, to know how cool the line could have been across the board had they all been as nice as the cadet figures. And really, I didn't think the Spock Prime and Nero figures were anything to sneeze at either. Even the so-called "bad" figures like Kirk have some great details in their hair and legs. I'm just not sure what they were thinking with the face-sculpt; it's not too awful bad (as long as you just look at it head-on) (lol), but it definitely doesn't look like Chris Pine. And poor Scotty looks like an angry, sun-burned Cabbage Patch Doll in the face. (lol)

One last thing; I like the accessories. I had read in other reviews that this was one of the line's strong points; the weapons are nicely detailed, painted well, and they fit in their respective figure's hands perfectly. And their not rubbery or warped like even Hasbro's are at times. You can even see the stitching in the phaser/communicator belt that some figures come with, and they fit snugly and perfectly around their waists.

I would have been completely happy and satisfied to get Wave 2, along with maybe a "yellow-shirt" Chekov. There's just some great figures in that wave, and now we may never see them produced, leaving a great big gaping hole in our collections. *sob*

And y'know, I would have also loved to see Spock Prime in his "jellyfish-ship" clothes, and wouldn't it have been cool to have some two-packs, like Spock Prime and Kirk in their Delta Vega "snow-clothes", along with a Federation Outpost two-pack with Scotty and his little friend? Or how about Cadet Kirk and Officer(?) Spock in their Federation hearing uniforms? Kirk and McCoy in their training uniforms? Maybe they could do a captain of the Kelvin and George Kirk two-pack. Gah...so much potential. I wish another proven company would see the potential in this line and restart a new 3-3/4" line. One can only hope...

Well said. I wish this line would have done better because I was really hoping for an all inclusive 3 3/4" Star Trek line. We truly would have had the best of both worlds with TOS wave that were in development. DST had a hand in the design work. I only hope that after 2010 these come out of hiatus. A small release of TOS and maybe TNG would be cool in 2011. Hopefully in 2012 Playmates will finish the 2009 line as well. Or maybe Hasbro will make a grab and start it all over. Just with a proper bridge/Enterprise ship/playset and shuttlecraft and don't forget the Kelvin!

• 2 weeks later...

I was dissapponted in this line the moment I saw it in stores. This and the Terminator line were abyssmal and I cringe anytime I see Playmates getting a toy license. They can go out of business anytime as far as I'm concerned.

• 1 month later...

The only figure I got at close to retail, during a sale was Spock!! Finally got Sulu at clearance!! But the rest just suck, awry

ul, awful, likenesses!!

Man I miss the 90's Playmayes line, so expansive with figures based on characters with such limited screen time!! A background character lovers treasure trove!!

I agree, Lady Jaye, the awesomeness of the old Playmates line was not in how great the figures were, but in how many characters they ended up being able to do. Although, the figures were pretty good, for the time.

The big question for Trek toys is, what now? There is another movie coming, we know that. So given the fact that the movie was basically a winner, and the toys seemed to fall short... now what?

Anyone know if Playmates has the license for Star Trek 2 as well? Give it to Hasbro! They put out some pretty good product in 2010 - the Star Wars figures were great, and the Marvel stuff showed massive improvement. If the Star Trek figures had been as good as the Iron Man 2 figures, I'd own every single one.

Then, they could do what Hasbro did with IM2 - sneak some "classic" figs in with the movie stuff. That builds collector buzz, which I happen to think is crucial these days.

I'm pretty sure that Playmates have the rights for a while and wouldn' be surprised to get figures for ST2, but that could change at a moments notice. I never see Hasbro haveing the rights, I think that they would feel that it might conflict with the SW line.

Anyone know if Playmates has the license for Star Trek 2 as well? Give it to Hasbro! They put out some pretty good product in 2010 - the Star Wars figures were great, and the Marvel stuff showed massive improvement. If the Star Trek figures had been as good as the Iron Man 2 figures, I'd own every single one.

Then, they could do what Hasbro did with IM2 - sneak some "classic" figs in with the movie stuff. That builds collector buzz, which I happen to think is crucial these days.

Yes my friend...that is the dream for me. I sooo wish Hasbro would do a line of 3-3/4" Star Trek figures, especially from the new films. Last April Fool's Day I read an announcement saying they had snagged the rights, and of course it turned out to be an April Fool's joke. I was so very disappointed. (lol)

And speaking of the Iron Man 2 line...I've always been somewhat of an Iron Man fan, but I never bought the comics or figures or anything, although I loved the first movie. But I've recently been introduced to the new toys by my nephew. I'd go to my mom's and he'd have a couple laying around, and I'd think they were so cool. The first time I found his classic War Machine figure lying in the floor, and I was so impressed with it I went straight to Wal-Mart on the way home and bought myself one. (lol) Then earlier this evening, I was there and my nephew was wearing his new Mark VI Iron Man figure around his neck with a rubber-band (lol), and it too was very cool. Then he told me he had dropped his other Iron Man figure down under the pool deck, and when I got it for him, it was the classic stealth armor version, and I was just so intrigued with it. I probably played with it as much as he did. (lol) Long story short, I agree that the Iron Man 2 line is very well done, and I'm seriously considering collecting it.

What...this is the Star Trek boards? Oh yeah...sorry. (lol)

I have my doubts about Playmates getting the line again. I liked the 2009 toys, but was hardly blown away by them. If you ask about them on playmatestoys.com they are really good about responding back, but as far as future Star Trek products coming from Playmates, even their feedback isn't looking to favorable. I'd love to see Hasbro take a shot at the whole Star Trek franchise. I've been hoping for Star Trek in 3 3/4" scale ever since Galoob had a run of Star Trek: The Next Generation figures way back in 1989! The sculpts on those were way better than the Playmates 2009 line. Twenty years and no evolution for Star Trek figures. I think that was Playmates' biggest failure. The ironic thing about Galoob, is they were bought out by Hasbro. So maybe some of the design department currently employed with Hasbro worked on the 1989 Star Trek line!

I'm pretty sure that Playmates have the rights for a while and wouldn' be surprised to get figures for ST2, but that could change at a moments notice. I never see Hasbro haveing the rights, I think that they would feel that it might conflict with the SW line.

Yeah that is a good point, about conflicting with SW. Hmmm... still, DB and I are gonna hope it happens anyhow!

If Hasbro really wants to get a lot of my money, they can have it by creating both a 4" and 6" super-poseable Star Trek line. It probably better that it doesn't happen; I'd have to get a second job.