Bulky, overly geared up Joes

Viper Hunter

I'm not really into these types of figures like this, with all the two tons of gear hangin' on them. They've come out with a few already, and I just saw this one (that's coming out) and had to make a funny on it. ^_^

joeso.jpg

it totally depends for me. I think that would make a nice toxo-viper type guy ( i have no idea what this driver is even called) Standard troops or most individuals though should move fluidly.

Hmm...I kind of like the look of that figure. Who or what is it? I like the look, but much like the Halo viper (can't recall the name right now), it sucks that the gear totally sacrifices playability. Or pose ability. ;)

On a slightly different note, toiletmonkey1, do you still do your little comedic dio stories anymore? Those were always pretty awesome when I'd come across them. =D

I'm not really into these types of figures like this, with all the two tons of gear hangin' on them. They've come out with a few already, and I just saw this one (that's coming out) and had to make a funny on it. happy.gif

joeso.jpg

Aw c'mon... I like this guy happy.gif . When I read the topic of this thread I thought it was going to be about Para-Viper or the Ripcord coming out in POC.

Each of them have enough gear for three people.

Who is this guy? I haven't seen him before... "Lava-Viper" sounds a bit lame, but it makes sense as a hostile environment/CBRN trooper.

Like the recent Ice-Viper, that really is how you look like when you put on that sort of gear, whether it be CBRN or extreme cold weather. Same with the Para-Viper. I like that they're going for that kind of realism, to be quite honest.

Actually, that is one of the figures I'm most looking forward to, lol. I want like 15 of those. Anyone who buys a Lava-Pod and thinks the Volcano viper is too bulky, let me know. I will take the bulk off your hands. The customizing possibilities are endless.

I love all the stuff they have.. gives it a more realistic look, vests that actually look like vests and not tank tops.. grenades that look like they can come off(even if they can't, it's a lot better than just molded on bumps)... all that adds to the realism to me... and it's not all of them, only certain ones, that if you ask me, need it. Para-Viper.. basically Cobra's HALO jumper who needs all his stuff from the get go(jumping out of a plane).. so it's needed(same with the new Ripcord coming out)... Ghetto-I mean Ice-Viper.. look at where he's going to be, he needs it.. same with this "lava" viper.. If I'm gonna be swimming in a vat of lave, I'd want a pair of shiny metallic FUBU pants and matching Jacket, jut makes sense to me... Of course, isn't it funny, they're trying to be a little more realistic and the female figures all look the same in their tight matrix-style pleather pants and jacket?

If I'm gonna be swimming in a vat of lave, I'd want a pair of shiny metallic FUBU pants and matching Jacket, jut makes sense to me...

I'm so tired of hearing stuff like this!

Haven't any of you done winter warfare or fire training before? Those clothes ARE bulky!!!

haven't even opened the elite-viper I got because of all the gear hecame with (two mp5 submachine guns, an axe, a stand and an over sized launcher that no toy can hold)might open him and my general hawk sometime this upcoming week though because I don't really like having carded or boxed toys because they take up to much space

Haven't any of you done winter warfare or fire training before? Those clothes ARE bulky!!!

Its not Winter Warfare or anything, but I'm stationed in Northern Wisconsin in the Coast Guard. In the winter months our boats are pulled but we still do Ice Rescue. (Due to all the Ice Fisherman up here) It gets pretty cold up here (30 below with the wind chill sometimes) Anyway, when I first got up here they sent me to Ice Rescue school in Michigan.....we have to get in the water to pull people out......(We're way more prepared than any fire department) We're not just pulling dogs out of the Ice......we prepare for the worst.

Anyway, the gear we have to wear is out of control......its like 15 pounds of extra stuff we have to put on to go onto the Ice. Granted, we can jump in freezing water and sit for hours at a time. Every year they make us wear MORE stuff.....its for our own safety but still.

I'm sure the Army and Marines have similar suits.....

ice.jpg

It's not a matter of accuracy to reality in the necessity of the gear or uniform. It's just an aesthetic thing. They end up more like little statuettes, and that's just not my thing. ^_^ I'm not a hardcore completist, so if the figure loooks boring, bland or not much fun to play around with and POSE (key element here) then I'm more inclined to pass on it.

Its not Winter Warfare or anything, but I'm stationed in Northern Wisconsin in the Coast Guard. In the winter months our boats are pulled but we still do Ice Rescue. (Due to all the Ice Fisherman up here) It gets pretty cold up here (30 below with the wind chill sometimes) Anyway, when I first got up here they sent me to Ice Rescue school in Michigan.....we have to get in the water to pull people out......(We're way more prepared than any fire department) We're not just pulling dogs out of the Ice......we prepare for the worst.

Anyway, the gear we have to wear is out of control......its like 15 pounds of extra stuff we have to put on to go onto the Ice. Granted, we can jump in freezing water and sit for hours at a time. Every year they make us wear MORE stuff.....its for our own safety but still.

ice.jpg

That's awesome. I would love to see a PoC Lifeline based on this pic.

ice.jpg

That's awesome. I would love to see a PoC Lifeline based on this pic.

roc-polar-sharc-with-ice-storm-pkg.jpgnot "Lifeline... but close...

Oh, and Doc..

poc-tru-exclusive-arctic-threat-doc.png

:D

I both agree AND disagree! : O

On one hand, I think that while the removable vests have allowed alot of creativity in the Joe line, sometimes they go a little too far (Arctic Snake Eyes, Neo Viper) where they're not form-fitting or the right size... just big jackets the toys wear.

On the other other hand, sometimes (especially in the US Army) we loaded ourselves up with 'standard' equipment that we HAD to have on us, then doubled up with reliable, personal gear. So, when I see a figure with a big rig, I just go "well, that's normal." XD

Tom

I do like the heavily-outfitted figures b/c they are something different in the line. They offer a bit more realism (compared to lycra and chrome for instance) and all the extra equipment seems like Hasbro's answer to no Accessory Packs. I mean, they may not be able to make money on a stand-alone accessory pack anymore, but everyone has so much stuff, you'll never be short of weapons and other gear for all your figures.

It seems a little inconsistent (to me anyway) to jump from reactive impact armor or accelerator suits, sleek and tight, back to winter or fire outfits being big and bulky? These figures (in question) aren't made to be presented without the gear they come with, especially the vests, as they're plain molds (no details) underneath, so removing the stuff to allow for more poseability isn't really an option.

These bulky outfits remind me of poor ol' Charlie Brown...

charliebrown.jpg

^_^

I don't mind all the "extra" gear. Kind of better to have too much then not enough sometimes.

I think the key factor is if the gear is APPROPRIATE.

The guy in the pic, it depends on his job but as pointed out he might make a good Toxo-Viper.

One of the main problems, for me, with the ROC and post ROC figures is they don't HAVE any background. I mean who cares that the Eel's preferred weapon is the "M.A.R.S. Industries UA-series harpoon and SMART torpedo launcher". Show me which weapon in the package that is, or am I to assume it is the bigass missile launcher that all the figures come with?

You don't really get the "feel" for the character like with the old filecards. The point of all that was to say that that "feel" is what gives us the sense that their gear is appropriate. Otherwise they are just "some guys with some stuff".

Its like the 94 figures how they all came with weapons on those plastic trees and it was the same weapons for everyone.