For those that collected the Super Powers line as kids;

Lady Jaye

I posed this question in the GI JOE board a while back, everyone seemed to have enjoyed it!! I think we need a nice reminiscing thread to bring up good memories of days gone by!! So....for those that collected the Super Powers line, what stores did you pick yours up in???

For me, it's kind of funny, the only figures I got I picked up mainly at Mervyns, back when they existed and back when they had a toy department!! Man those were good times, when a kid could take off from the parents and head to the toy section while they shopped for clothes!! I remember the very first 2 Super Powers figures I got were Batman and Superman, obviously the best of the DC Universe!! #US1# I remember I really wanted Batman and Robin, bur for some reason, I could not find Robin that day, so after not finding him at other stores, I settled for Supes!! Ha ha ha!!

Of course part of being a kid in the 80's was looking at the back of the packages to see what else was available!! Man I could sit there forever just looking at everything I wanted. Kind of like the catalogs we would get as well!! Remember those!!

Anyhow later on I picked up the two main villains IMHO, for Supes and Bats, Joker which I picked up at Montgomery Wards in Capital Plaza and then later on Darkseid again in Mervyns off of Research Blvd!!

So where and when did you pick up your Super Powers!!

Oh and if you want, post where you got your other DC toy lines, such as Mego or the Toy Biz ones of the 90's, and Total Justice, etc!!!

Super Powers were my major toy influence as a kid

first figure was Flash back in 84, so I was four and remember him being the only one on the pegs at Kmart

all the rest were bought at Kiddie City except the following:

Wonder Woman was bought at JC Penny's when they had department stores and had toy sections

Superman and Martian Manhunter were also bought at JC Penny's, I had multiple Superman's from either Kiddie City or JC Penny's

Clark Kent was delivered in 6 to 8 weeks, I had 2 of them ordered within my life time, I still remember having my mother save those point all over again because I lost the first one.

Darkseid and Joker were purchased at a comic book store

I always passed on Desaad, Parademon, Mantis, Steppenwolf as a kid, they were peg warmers and I didn't care about them, never remember seeing Wave 3

• Like 1

I still have all the original figures, vehicles and Super Powers playsets from my childhood and their original boxes and some even have the original price sticker on them from before the age of the barcode. My dad got a lot of them from Toys Plus, I remember he got Green Arrow Martian Manhunter Red Tornado Dr Fate and Parademon at Kay Bee Toys in Victoria TX--I remember this day because they held them but before we could go there my dad was trying to purchase a new car and we had to mess with that first, got Firestorm Mantis Desaad from a TRU in Corpus Christi, found Kalibak in a Wool's worth and to top it off we stopped off at Corn Dog 7--for a young kid you can't beat finding a figure, a a corn dog and a day with dad, Batman, Flash Green Lantern Joker Brainiac The Penguin(c'mon Mattel do a SP Penguin) at Albertsons Groceries, Wonder Woman & Robin at a TG&Y store, Mr Miracle, Samurai, Golden Pharoah at a Walmart in Ft Stockton Texas, one Xmas my dad ordered from Sears Xmas catalog a bundle set of Mr Freeze Tyr and the hard to get Cyborg. I was thrilled when I got that Cyborg because it was such a hassel to find but leave it to my dad to move heaven and earth to get me one. I also sent in the proof of purchases for two of the Clark Kents and also have the mail-in Steppenwolf as well as the carded version that came later.

The Super Powers and MOTU(most of these I got from Toys by Roy and Toys Plus) were the big things in my childhood and if it weren't for my dad I wouldn't have ever got into collecting and still wouldn't have all the originals--everytime we moved he would carefully pack them up and bring them along never once contemplating selling them in a garage sale. I also have the original She-Ra figures that came out when there was the crossover He-Man/She-ra cartoon film came to theatres, all the Jem dolls, the Secret Wars marvel stuff.

In fact, if it weren't for the nostalgia I might not have taken up collecting DCUC. And everytime I get a new set of them I remember my dad and how it is too bad he isn't around to enjoy them with them like when I was a kid. Those were some of my favorite memories.

a store called toysn wheels I think... its where I went to get most of my stuff it was just a little toy store int he mall!

I miss that store! @loll@

This is kind of funny all my Superpowers I got came from friends I never got them at the store minus Brainiac I got him at Knott's Berry Farm a theme park of chourse I don't have him anymore his arm broke off with in two days after I got him and he was the second Brainac I got and the samething happen to him. I still have all of them but Joker his leg broke in half so don't have him. Here is the ones I have.

Green Lantern

Aquaman

Wonder Woman

Hawkman= minus one wing I never got his other wing when a friend gave me him and I lost his mase

Robin

Superman

Flash

Green Arrow

Mr. Freeze

Steppen Wolf

Kalibak

Dr. FATE

Mantis

Firestorm

Red Tornado

Lex Luthor

Martian Manhunter

This is all I have of them.

Both my Secret Wars figures and my Super Powers figures came from K-Mart.

I think the only Super Powers Figure that I purchased in a store was Aquaman.

Later on down the line I went to a garage sale and picked up Lex Luthor, Kalibak , The Lex Soar and that weird yellow ship. The figures were in pristine condition.

A few years back I picked up the figure that I had been really wanting and that was Martian Manhunter. Someone had him in a comic shop and he was opened and I couldn't resist. For some crazy reason, whenever I see a Martian Manhunter or Dr. Fate figure I have to buy it.

Hmmm ... I am going to have to go check for Dr. Fate on ebay. =)

• Like 1

I bought all of wave three figures at the local K-Mart for, get this, $1.48 a piece. Talk about your bargins!

Captain, that is so cool because it is very similar to a story I was going to share! I found them on clearance (I guess?) at a Kmart too, but I couldn't get them lol

I can't remember the exact price. I want to say it was $1.19, but it may have been the same as what you found at $1.49. They were in one of those square basket like displays with the metal grill like edges that they dump stuff in in the middle of the aisles, not too far from the jewelry dept., I think. I had gotten most of Series One and Two earlier in the years they were released (all but Desaad and the Parademon) and the Batmobile and the Supermobile. I never did get the Hall of Justice but I wanted it a lot.

I can't remember for sure if they had all of Series Three in there, and it may have included some Series One and Series Two figures mixed in (there might even have been figures in there from other toy lines) but I remember wanting Shazam and Plastic Man. But my parents wouldn't get me any that dayguitar.gif I think they said something like, "You've already got all the main ones, you don't need all that other mess"biggrin.gif It also might have had something to do with the fact that they were in the bin. I think they might have thought they were junk or something lol So that's not really good memories of days gone by for me at all!guitar.gif I'm pretty sure that was the only time I saw any Series Three in stores. I was eight, nine, something like that. I've often wondered if they were in fact on clearance and if it was the same year Series Three was supposed to be released or later. It doesn't make a lot of sense for them to be clearanced out if they were just put out, unless that's just how stores did stuff back then?!? On the other hand, that is how I found most of the last of the new Toy Biz Marvel stuff a few years ago.

However, a few years later I found a Orion and Mr. Freeze still moc as well as a POTF R2-D2 with pop up lightsaber still moc with the coin (although the packaging was in very rough shape) at a dusty old flea market for a dollar apiece, so that was pretty coolbiggrin.gif I remember the old man that was selling them referred to them all as space men! He was right on two counts, but the Super Powers Mr. Freeze did in fact look like a space man!

In the late eighties or real early nineties at a discount store I found an assortment that had, I think, Flash, Hawkman, Martian Manunter, Darkseid, Desaad and Kalibak. It seems like they had a lot more of Flash and Kalibak than the others. I didn't care much at the time, but I wish I had bought them all now of course!

@loll@ All this talk makes me want to go in my closet and get out my old Superpowers figures. But I have no place to put them at.

I only had a few Super Powers as a kid. I know I bought the Batmobile, a Batman and Joker at Lionels Play World with my birthday and Christmas money (my birthday is in January), as I think the only time I ever went there was for my birthday. Man I loved that Batmobile, I think it’s one of the 10 greatest toys from the 80's, good times. That bad boy killed many a Cobra and blew up the Deathstar at least twice. I think it even saved my friends castle Greyskull on at least one occasion from a nasty invasion of cheap bendy easter bunnies. I have to say I had one heck of an imagination as a kid. Funny I never had a Robin as a kid, can’t remember why, maybe I couldn’t find him. That Batmobile also had the coolest commercial, I miss those old commercials.

I also had Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Superman, Flash and Darkseid. I think I bought most of them at Service Merchandise, Sears and Gemco as that was where my family shopped. I do remember my Grandfather bought me Green Arrow and Captain America at JC Penny.

I also remember always wanting Hawkman, he looked so cool. But for some reason around me at least I could never find him when I had money. Oh how he mocked me at stores when I didn’t have enough allowance, and my mom would never buckle. If I didn’t save my own money then no matter how much I whined it was always no. I think around this time I was also into the old LJN D&D line, so that and Joes took my pitiful allowance every week...lol. AT 3.00 a week it was hard not to just buy a Joe and skip the more expensive LJN or Super Powers toys that would take me 2 weeks to save for.

thats funny you mentioned mervyns. I remember when they were discounting the SW POTF coin figs for .97! Han Carbonite, Amanaman, all the expensive ones now. I passed on getting a few I wanted because we were gonna go back the next day. But someone came in and bought them all for like .25 on the dollar. I did eventually get most of them though.

As for super powers, I dont remember getting my first one but I just remember getting most from kmart. I remember contemplating to buy tyr or mr.freeze, I choose freeze. always wanted plasticman, never got it. at one time I had almost the whole collection but traded great figs like doc fate & green arrow for the old SW dolls. I had never seen them before.

I did pick up a few secret wars but I didnt know what they really were. I bought baron zemo cause I thought it was spidey in a different suit. the only marvel exposure I had then was spidey w/firestorm & iceman.

That's exactly what it should be called!! Larry, you're thinking of MOMC, which means Mint on Mint Card!! That's when the figure and the cardback are mint!! As long as the figure is in the package, no matter the condition of the package, the figure itself is considered mint!!

I remember having Batman, Robin, Penguin, Joker, Cyclone, Green Lantern, and Kalibak I think..... not sure where I bought them. I was not into them as much as GI JOE or Star Wars. My love for comic figs came much much later @loll@

Draven

Well early today before I when to work I found all my Superpowers figures and here is who I got.

2980098180099253773S425x425Q85.jpg

I had almost all of them--was missing only Cyborg, Clark Kent and Golden Pharaoh. Bought them all over the Vancouver BC and Seattle area, between 1986 and about....1989. Found most on card, in various places, usually on discount. One place that served me well was a consignment store in Vancouver, bought some of the figures there loose--and in good shape.

Gave them all away--except Green Lantern-- years ago.

They were great for their day, but I think DCUC has bettered them, and the new line is getting close to doing updates of all the original characters.

I think I like Kalibak better in Brown outfit then green what do you guys think?

I think I like Kalibak better in Brown outfit then green what do you guys think?

I know I got a Steppenwolf from a Kresge, a subsidiary of K-mart here in New Haven.

My sister got a Wonder Woman that day too.

I know I had Green Lantern, Flash, Hawkman, and a Darkseid but I do not remember from where.

I also got a Superman for christmas from a Bradlees.

My first two were Superman and Batman. Then I remember getting Lex Luthor and Brainiac from Sears; they were a two pack. During Christmas I got the Supermobile, Lexsoar 7, Robin, Hawkman, Aquaman and Joker. After the holidays I used a bit of Christmas cash to buy a Doomcycle. I used the cycle for Batman & Robin. I remember my cousin broke his Brainiac because he was squeezing the arms to hard. so I knew better when I got mine. I ordered my Steppenwolf from the Kenner promotion. I eventually got the rest of them in different places throughout the rest of the year.

Chopz

I went through the stores entire supply of wonder woman figures because she would fall apart the second we would open it... I think someone at the store talked me into trying another character.... think I got green lantern that way ... win win imo! @loll@