FIRE THE CASTING DIRECTOR FOR THOR!

I AM SCI-FI

Who here rose hell when they cast whiter than white Kristen Kreuk to play Chun Li????? Bastards!!! @smilepunch@

is Kristen Kreuk that hot girl from smallville.never saw the new street fighter movie

Who here rose hell when they cast whiter than white Kristen Kreuk to play Chun Li????? Bastards!!! @smilepunch@

is Kristen Kreuk that hot girl from smallville.never saw the new street fighter movie

Haaha....I don't think a lot of people did.

probably the same reason I didn't wasn't spending 8 bucks to see some lame-ass kung fu flick suprised anyone wants to see that ninja assasin movie how long do you think it took them to come up with the idea of a ninja being an assasin @loll@

this isn't about the actual norse mythology. it is about Marvel's norse mythology.

Marvel's norse mythology does indeed stay true to most of the real stuff.

Marvel's norse mythology depicts all the Gods as VERY white

You are forgetting that Hogun the Grim has always been drawn with both a somewhat Asiatic face, and a Mongolian head gear and outfit--so there's been some "ethnic" variety right from the start. Besides, Asgard is a realm of magic, and so the "normal" rules need not always apply.

what you are saying doesn't matter because Hogun is not one of the AESIR. He is not a god. He is just some dude that hangs out there, so he doesn't need to be white.

what is funny is that Heimdall is known as "The White God" in norse mythology, or the "whitest of the gods." but now he is black. Certainly seems to be a PC move

Maybe it's supposed to be ironic.

Hey Everyone,

I was thinking about the Heimdal character... I'm not a big Thor Fan but i agree with most of the criticism of this PC move by marvel. BUT what if (since these gods are supposed to be white or the whitest of white) that the Director is planning not to make them with flesh tones but make-up that is white or some special affect that would make the actor's skin color irrelevent?

Just a thought.

regards

joshua

No one complained that Raiden in Mortal Kombat 1-3 games and the various live aciton adaptions are protrayed by white actors despite he is an actual japanese deity

Seems like no ones cares when an character who is asian in the comics, in real life, or whatever is made into a white character just to have better ticket sales

Race change is different for each race. If the character is white and is not a lead character, he will be change into a minority (Harvey Dent was black in the TB movies, that one german weapon x guy is asian in the recent origins movie, etc)

lf it is a minority that isn't black in the cartoons or comics and he is the main character, he will be white.

(Goku, kyo from king of fighters, the students and teachers in that MIT gambling movie, (imo, speed racer does not count since he was basically white in the dubbed ver of speed racer)

I think once the God of War movie is filming, people are goin to complain that Krato isn't white

nobody complained because those movies were jokes. They were completely stupid. They didn't stay true to the source material, but that only added to the suckness of them.

Now, that is exactly what we are complaining about here, we are hoping that the Thor movie won't be a joke. And you are off to a bad start when you do stuff like this

I never said I like the movies listed and I do believe your statement on the movie being a joke is why no one is complaining is an excuse. I am no fan of DBZ, but I am aware it has a rather massive fanbase in the US. Also, Mortal Kombat did well and was hyped as a good movie, yet no one complained about Raiden.

We can all agree that Catwoman is S#%t even when the movie wasn't release, yet people here have had a problem of Catwoman, despite there being a black catwoman in the past and that the one Halle Berry plays isn't Salina Kyle.

I am just saying that I think some ppl have a problem of some white characters being black in movies, regardless whether or not the movie sucks. What if the god in Thor was black and changed to white similar to the race change Al Simon's friend received in the Spawn movie? I doubt people expect Spawn to be a joke.

I don't know, but some of you guys sound as if one minor character receiving a race change will make the movie garbage or something. It is not as if they are making Thor african american and they are gods, so appearances aren't really important to those who can shape change; I have no idea if the thor character in question can change his appearance.

I think the problem is that we are so used to seeing american actors that we don't care if they replace a minority, but if a minority plays a character who is white in the source material, we get all $#@#$## about it because the character in question is probably a favorite character or something. Race change is usually done so that the audience can relate to the characters better or to sell more tickets.

According to various websites, no one since Chun-li was originally going to be Jessica Biel, whom ppl were offended by. As a result, they cast Kreuk who is half chinese.

probably the same reason I didn't wasn't spending 8 bucks to see some lame-ass kung fu flick suprised anyone wants to see that ninja assasin movie how long do you think it took them to come up with the idea of a ninja being an assasin @loll@

It was said that Ninja Assassin was originally a live action Ninja Scroll movie.

It was said that Ninja Assassin was originally a live action Ninja Scroll movie.

I can tell by the trailer it has nothing to do with ninja scroll and the main character in ninja assassin is named rain where as ninja scroll's main character is jubei originally a ninja scroll movie maybe but still ninja scroll like hellsing should stay in animated form Nuff said

• 2 weeks later...

Im not into race switching with characters either. I didnt like that they went with Jessica Alba (Mexican) to play Sue Richards (one of the many problems with those horrible movies), the Kingpin I grew up with was white, not black (although I like Duncan as an actor). I think its ok to take certain liberties with characters (like wolvies height) but to make a nordic god black is kinda dumb. Im not white by the way.

I'm honstly sick of race switching first they have nick fury and ripcord when there's already how many black joes and now black nordics,pretty soon all the colored people are going to throw us whites in a camp and call us caucies or wheaties

http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2009/11/idris-elba-joins-marvel-studios-thor-natalie-portman-kenneth-branagh.html

Idris Elba to play Heimdall

This PC CRAP has gone TOO far!

Norse deities are NOT of an African ethnicity!

Cultural deities usually look like the people that worship them.

The best actor should be able to act well AND look the part. If you have either an actor that can act well but doesn't look the part, or looks the part but can't act well, then, either way, you DON'T have the FULL character.

Thor in the original myth is supposed to have red hair and a red beard. So liberties have already been taken with the source material. Why is hair color unimportant, and skin color important?

I'm not saying that I totally disagree with you. It is a bit of an eyebrow-raising choice. But you just seem far too upset over it, and that makes me wonder what kind of issues you've got percolating under the surface. Get mad about something that matters, ya know?

The irony here is that there is a Thor regular who could have been black. Hogun the Grim is not an Asgardian. He's from a nearby land that was taken over by some evil force (specifics elude me). I get that they want to have someone of color have a speaking part in the movie (they wanna sell tickets to non-white folks too!), but it would have made more sense to have Elba as Hogun.

So why no furor over casting Ray Stevens as Volstagg? A non fat person playing a fat person!?!?! Is he going to wear a fat suit? Isn't that the equivalent to a white person performing in "blackface"? My vulcan blood is boiling!!!!!!111111

See how silly it all is?

Just so you know, I am black and I HATE when they change characters from one race to another. Norse God's are white, their very name represents white people (Nordic). Its not about being racist, its just accurate. Didn't like the Kingpin being black either, it is so forced its annoying.

I gotta disagree with you about the Kingpin. There was just no important reason for him to be white. It's a really different situation from Heimdall, in my book. They maintained the essence of the character with Kingpin (sorta fat and buff at the same time, dressed well, intelligent, ruthless). The skin color was superficial there.

Can you think of a well known white actor who was better suited for Kingpin?

Just so you know, I am black and I HATE when they change characters from one race to another. Norse God's are white, their very name represents white people (Nordic). Its not about being racist, its just accurate. Didn't like the Kingpin being black either, it is so forced its annoying.

I gotta disagree with you about the Kingpin. There was just no important reason for him to be white. It's a really different situation from Heimdall, in my book. They maintained the essence of the character with Kingpin (sorta fat and buff at the same time, dressed well, intelligent, ruthless). The skin color was superficial there.

...they could have found one but Kingpin is a well established WHITE criminal, so why make him black? because blacks are criminals and whites are heroes? If these characters are established in fiction as a certain race they should stick to it in film. Granted minority heroes are vastly underrepresented in comics but that shouldn't force hollywood to change the race of decades old characters. Instead, they should start using more minorities in other films as leading roles, but lets not start making Wally West black or Blade white.

...they could have found one but Kingpin is a well established WHITE criminal, so why make him black? because blacks are criminals and whites are heroes? If these characters are established in fiction as a certain race they should stick to it in film. Granted minority heroes are vastly underrepresented in comics but that shouldn't force hollywood to change the race of decades old characters. Instead, they should start using more minorities in other films as leading roles, but lets not start making Wally West black or Blade white.

h3llfish is on the money. For all the geniuses out there who are still bitching about Michael Clarke Duncan playing Wilson Fisk we're still waiting for you to name one white guy with the body type to play him. That's why Duncan was chosen. Or maybe they should have gotten Gimli to reprise the role.

Not a single one of you has gone apeshit over Sam Jackson as Nick Fury. And don't tell me that abomination called the Ultimate Universe is representative of Marvel. Whoever started this thread should be just as pissed at that as they are about Idris Elba playing Heimdall.

If he guards the Bifrost Bridge he's still Heimdall, regardless of what he looks like.

h3llfish is on the money. For all the geniuses out there who are still bitching about Michael Clarke Duncan playing Wilson Fisk we're still waiting for you to name one white guy with the body type to play him. That's why Duncan was chosen. Or maybe they should have gotten Gimli to reprise the role.

Not a single one of you has gone apeshit over Sam Jackson as Nick Fury. And don't tell me that abomination called the Ultimate Universe is representative of Marvel. Whoever started this thread should be just as pissed at that as they are about Idris Elba playing Heimdall.

If he guards the Bifrost Bridge he's still Heimdall, regardless of what he looks like.

...probably would have had to cast an unknown for a white Kingpin, just like they did with the first Superman movie and that turned out pretty well.

Or how about Jake Gillenhall as "The Prince of Persia"? No one is bawling about that, either.

no one was bawling cause it's a lame video game movie and those never do well in theaters

Idris Elba is awesome. Stringer Bell? Charles Miner? Great actor.

I didn't hear anyone complain that Hugh Jackman didn't look exactly like Wolverine.

i hated hugh jackman as wolverine, way to tall period! i hated clark duncan as king pin, that was jus horrible period!

...they could have found one but Kingpin is a well established WHITE criminal, so why make him black?

Why not make him black?

because blacks are criminals and whites are heroes?

No. That's something that only a racist would say.

If these characters are established in fiction as a certain race they should stick to it in film.

Why?

Granted minority heroes are vastly underrepresented in comics but that shouldn't force hollywood to change the race of decades old characters.

I don't believe that anyone did "force" Hollywood to change anything. They just wanted to do it because they value diversity.

Instead, they should start using more minorities in other films as leading roles, but lets not start making Wally West black or Blade white.

You haven't said one word yet about why it's so important to you that the white folks stay white. Why? It's just skin color. It doesn't matter too much to me. It seems like it's pretty important to you. Why?

...probably would have had to cast an unknown for a white Kingpin, just like they did with the first Superman movie and that turned out pretty well.

Doing that would have damaged the commercial viability of the project in two ways. First, by having no people of color in a major role, the movie could be seen as less attractive to that segment of the target audience. Secondly, having an unknown would have deprived them of viewers who were fans of Duncan from Green Mile or other pictures.

You're certainly correct that unknowns have worked in the past in super hero pics, and Warner did do just that again with their recent Superman pic. But if you can get someone that to me was perfect for the role, and has a great reputation, it just seems nuts to me to say no thanks, because you have the wrong skin color.

Idris Elba is awesome. Stringer Bell? Charles Miner? Great actor.

I didn't hear anyone complain that Hugh Jackman didn't look exactly like Wolverine.

i hated hugh jackman as wolverine, way to tall period! i hated clark duncan as king pin, that was jus horrible period!

I'm with you on Hugh Jackman. Too tall, and did not have a Canadian accent. Those are two key features of the character to me. This one should have gone to an unknown, even though it is a huge role, just because there is no one famous who captures the essence of the character.

Consider this: how often has Wolverine's shortness or Canadian-ness been remarked on in the books? Pretty often, I'd say. The fact that he is Canadian is pretty essential to his whole back story. But how often was Wilson Fisk's whiteness remarked on? Was it really central to who he was? I would argue no. It's inconsequential in this case.

It's obvious totally subjective, this notion of who really makes a good Wolverine, or Kingpin, or Forbush Man, or whatever. And it's totally valid to say that you don't like someone for a role. But when your sole reason for not liking the choice is "he's black", that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

...they could have found one but Kingpin is a well established WHITE criminal, so why make him black?

Why not make him black?

because blacks are criminals and whites are heroes?

No. That's something that only a racist would say.

If these characters are established in fiction as a certain race they should stick to it in film.

Why?

Granted minority heroes are vastly underrepresented in comics but that shouldn't force hollywood to change the race of decades old characters.

I don't believe that anyone did "force" Hollywood to change anything. They just wanted to do it because they value diversity.

Instead, they should start using more minorities in other films as leading roles, but lets not start making Wally West black or Blade white.

You haven't said one word yet about why it's so important to you that the white folks stay white. Why? It's just skin color. It doesn't matter too much to me. It seems like it's pretty important to you. Why?

I just like the comic characters I grew up with to be as close as possible to the source material, skin color included. It is my preference and although actors like Duncan may be able to pull off a Kingpin he was not "the" Kingpin as represented in comics. I feel the same way when they drastically alter a traditional costume...and no I didnt hate Clarke's Kingpin because he was specifically black, I didnt like that he wasn't white if that makes sense.