FIRE THE CASTING DIRECTOR FOR THOR!

I AM SCI-FI

Okay, I don't really care enough to read the whole thread, so sorry if this has already been mentioned, but Marvel's Asgard is NOT accurate to the "source material" at all.

I mean, they speak English. Like characters from Shakespeare.

And they've existed long before the Vikings, they're not actually Norse themselves. Those were just the people who worshipped them.

These extraterrestrials that became the Norse gods of the Marvel Universe based themselves off of the people and religion. Having a black man play a Norse god isn't a stretch considering many scholars believe there were African travelers/tribes/sailors that lived among/interacted with Vikings. There is a pretty fair amount of evidence to back the claims up. Also, geographically speaking, north Africa isn't that far away from north Europe considering the Vikings managed to make it to North America.

I'd prefer we stick to the race on this one (but i'll admit kingpin didn't bother me) but it won't make or break for me.

It's true that marvel's verse isn't accurate, and it's a good thing! The real myths have Thor having red hair (not so bad) and Loki fornicating with a horse (very bad)

These extraterrestrials that became the Norse gods of the Marvel Universe based themselves off of the people and religion. Having a black man play a Norse god isn't a stretch considering many scholars believe there were African travelers/tribes/sailors that lived among/interacted with Vikings. There is a pretty fair amount of evidence to back the claims up. Also, geographically speaking, north Africa isn't that far away from north Europe considering the Vikings managed to make it to North America.

extra terrestrials as norsegods this isn't stargate were talking about :P

this isn't about the actual norse mythology. it is about Marvel's norse mythology.

Marvel's norse mythology does indeed stay true to most of the real stuff.

Marvel's norse mythology depicts all the Gods as VERY white

Just to clarify I really don't care all that much because it's Heimdall. But I did not know that little fact about scholars believeing the whole africans interacted with vikings thing, in which case, that would be a pretty cool movie. But I digress, I just like to see comic-to-film accuracy when dealing with a comic book film. I think many of you would care if they had a black Reed Richards or a white Luke Cage or Cloak or something. It's not the popularity of the character, the fact that most people have no clue who Heimdall is, I just think it's the principle of the matter.

Some Marvel comics imply that the Asgardians are indeed alien beings.

this isn't about the actual norse mythology. it is about Marvel's norse mythology.

Nick Fury...just sayin'

Nick Fury...just sayin'

there are two versions of Nick Fury in Marvel comics. The real Marvel version is white, the Ultimate version is black.

they chose to go with the Ultimate version for the movies, I am guessing so that they could use Sam Jackson. There is no other reason that they would choose to go with any inferior Ultimate version of a Marvel character.

Yet, black Nick Fury is an established character.

there has never been any black Heimdall

Some Marvel comics imply that the Asgardians are indeed alien beings.

true enough

Nick Fury...just sayin'

there are two versions of Nick Fury in Marvel comics. The real Marvel version is white, the Ultimate version is black.

they chose to go with the Ultimate version for the movies, I am guessing so that they could use Sam Jackson. There is no other reason that they would choose to go with any inferior Ultimate version of a Marvel character.

And the Iron Man suit in the movie is not from the comics.

And Abomination never looked like he does in the movie.

Soooooo...what was your point again?

Ultimate U is not the same as 616. Movie U is not the same as 616 or Ultimate.

Nick Fury...just sayin'

And the Iron Man suit in the movie is not from the comics.

And Abomination never looked like he does in the movie.

Soooooo...what was your point again?

Ultimate U is not the same as 616. Movie U is not the same as 616 or Ultimate.

the Ironman suit is close enough to looks that Tony has had. And it is just a suit that he designed. It's still an armor suit, still red and gold. It's great. No problem.

But you have proven my point with Abomination. He looked terrible. Whoever designed him should have been fired, and so should anybody that decides Heimdall should be black.

We can also look at most of the changes done to marvel characters in movies and see that they were mistakes. The people who did those changes helped to ruin movies. So that is where this is all coming from, whoever is making these changes is hurting the movie. After Marvel has made good progress, they don't need hollywood tinkering with their properties and making crappy movies again (all the X-men flicks, Deadpool in XOW, daredevil, Ghost Rider's villains, Absorbing man, Abomination, etc etc etc.

Personally, I think anytime anyone chooses to play "swap the race" with one of thier characters, it's almost always done as a PC move. Whether it's Nick Fury, Kingpin, Heimdal, or Ripcord! This is Hollywood. They need a nice mix of ethnicities to please everyone (ie, get everyone's money). Also notice that these are all second-teer and/or periphrial characters at best. This will never be done with major characters like Spider-Man or Batman, so fear not.

Yes, it's lame that they do it, it's more PC BS, but this will probably not make or break the Thor movie either way.

(PS, Jackman was a great Wolverine regardless of his height.)

• Like 1

Personally, I think anytime anyone chooses to play "swap the race" with one of thier characters, it's almost always done as a PC move. Whether it's Nick Fury, Kingpin, Heimdal, or Ripcord! This is Hollywood. They need a nice mix of ethnicities to please everyone (ie, get everyone's money). Also notice that these are all second-teer and/or periphrial characters at best. This will never be done with major characters like Spider-Man or Batman, so fear not.

Yes, it's lame that they do it, it's more PC BS, but this will probably not make or break the Thor movie either way.

As I mentioned earlier: I suspect this move is at least partially to thumb their noses at the white supremacists who are attracted to the Norse religion because of its' "all white" nature. In those instances, I tend to think of it as "PC done right" as opposed to "PC crap." Political correctness/inclusiveness has a place, it's just often overused and abused. As long as they throw a few black extras into the general Asgardian population, it'll be all good (and won't require any hoop-jumping to explain Heimdall).

As I mentioned earlier: I suspect this move is at least partially to thumb their noses at the white supremacists who are attracted to the Norse religion because of its' "all white" nature. In those instances, I tend to think of it as "PC done right" as opposed to "PC crap." Political correctness/inclusiveness has a place, it's just often overused and abused. As long as they throw a few black extras into the general Asgardian population, it'll be all good (and won't require any hoop-jumping to explain Heimdall).

I'm not racist but it should be all whites in asgard because vikings were all white as was there gods if there's a scene on earth then add a few african americans in there. you know I can handle gijoe the rise of cobra making rip-cord black and nick fury becoming african and even spectacular spider-man making roderick kingsley an african american perfume seller but Thor should have just whites because it is a marvel movie but is highly based on the history of nordic mythology

I'd love for them to make a luke cage movie & have him be white :D You can bet all the people who are just going "meh" to this topic would be up in arms about it too @smilepunch@ & so would... others... lol @loll@ Oh I read someplace as well they are going to be making thor gay @smilepunch@

@loll@

You are forgetting that Hogun the Grim has always been drawn with both a somewhat Asiatic face, and a Mongolian head gear and outfit--so there's been some "ethnic" variety right from the start. Besides, Asgard is a realm of magic, and so the "normal" rules need not always apply.

You are forgetting that Hogun the Grim has always been drawn with both a somewhat Asiatic face, and a Mongolian head gear and outfit--so there's been some "ethnic" variety right from the start. Besides, Asgard is a realm of magic, and so the "normal" rules need not always apply.

what you are saying doesn't matter because Hogun is not one of the AESIR. He is not a god. He is just some dude that hangs out there, so he doesn't need to be white.

what is funny is that Heimdall is known as "The White God" in norse mythology, or the "whitest of the gods." but now he is black. Certainly seems to be a PC move

what you are saying doesn't matter because Hogun is not one of the AESIR. He is not a god. He is just some dude that hangs out there, so he doesn't need to be white.

what is funny is that Heimdall is known as "The White God" in norse mythology, or the "whitest of the gods." but now he is black. Certainly seems to be a PC move

now Heimdall will be known as the I don't know what my skin color is.god @loll@

No one complained that Raiden in Mortal Kombat 1-3 games and the various live aciton adaptions are protrayed by white actors despite he is an actual japanese deity

Seems like no ones cares when an character who is asian in the comics, in real life, or whatever is made into a white character just to have better ticket sales

Race change is different for each race. If the character is white and is not a lead character, he will be change into a minority (Harvey Dent was black in the TB movies, that one german weapon x guy is asian in the recent origins movie, etc)

lf it is a minority that isn't black in the cartoons or comics and he is the main character, he will be white.

(Goku, kyo from king of fighters, the students and teachers in that MIT gambling movie, (imo, speed racer does not count since he was basically white in the dubbed ver of speed racer)

I think once the God of War movie is filming, people are goin to complain that Krato isn't white

i remember when X3 was out, a few people were complainin' that Psyclocke was casted as an asian rather than a white person in da movie. However, once other ppl have told them that she is ''japanese'' in the comicbookz, people then complained that the actress is flippino and not japanese.

What the sweet fa does that have to do with anything.

No one complained that Raiden in Mortal Kombat 1-3 games and the various live aciton adaptions are protrayed by white actors despite he is an actual japanese deity

Seems like no ones cares when an character who is asian in the comics, in real life, or whatever is made into a white character just to have better ticket sales

Race change is different for each race. If the character is white and is not a lead character, he will be change into a minority (Harvey Dent was black in the TB movies, that one german weapon x guy is asian in the recent origins movie, etc)

lf it is a minority that isn't black in the cartoons or comics and he is the main character, he will be white.

(Goku, kyo from king of fighters, the students and teachers in that MIT gambling movie, (imo, speed racer does not count since he was basically white in the dubbed ver of speed racer)

I think once the God of War movie is filming, people are goin to complain that Krato isn't white

nobody complained because those movies were jokes. They were completely stupid. They didn't stay true to the source material, but that only added to the suckness of them.

Now, that is exactly what we are complaining about here, we are hoping that the Thor movie won't be a joke. And you are off to a bad start when you do stuff like this

Gotta love the fan mentality...where the casting of one supporting character that probably has five or less total lines in the movie is suddenly a disaster in the making even when virtually everything else that's been announced has been good-to-great.