FIRE THE CASTING DIRECTOR FOR THOR!

I AM SCI-FI

http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2009/11/idris-elba-joins-marvel-studios-thor-natalie-portman-kenneth-branagh.html

Idris Elba to play Heimdall

This PC CRAP has gone TOO far!

Norse deities are NOT of an African ethnicity!

Cultural deities usually look like the people that worship them.

The best actor should be able to act well AND look the part. If you have either an actor that can act well but doesn't look the part, or looks the part but can't act well, then, either way, you DON'T have the FULL character.

• Like 2

<coff> It's only a movie--or did you forget that part?

It's the principle of the matter. It's about respecting the integrity of the source material, both comics and Norse mythologies.

I don't even like Thor. I don't care for any of the mythological gods turned heroes in the comics.

• Like 1

I agree with you man.

I am hoping that somehow they will just be using his voice. There is no way that Heimdall or any of them should be black.

The only black characters should be humans, from earth.

I was kinda hoping that Marvel was finally going to try to continue to make serious movies after the success of Ironman and Dark Knight... Kenneth Branaugh also would make you think they were going to make Thor a serious movie. But having a black guy play one of the Norse Gods throws that credibility away.

Heimdall is the "White God". Or the Whitest of the Gods. And hes being played by a black man... For some reason this dosnt bother me. Im thinking this will be his "Human" form. Or maybe Loki has a hand in his pigmintation. Since they are supposed to have an epic battle at Ragnarok and all. Maybe Loki is just playing mind games with him while hes on earth? But then as far as I have heard Thor is the only God to come to earth. But there is a lot about this movie we havnt heard yet. Hogun is of asian dessent, so its possible that they may be making Heimdall african. BUt then Hogun isnt of the Aesir and Heimdall is. But honestly who knows what they are doing with this. Ill take a wait and see approach.

• Like 1

Nothing against Idris Elba I'm sure he's a great actor but he doesn't look like a Viking, period! Now if they decided to replace Chistian Bale with Jamie Foxx in the next Batman movie or cast Channing Tatoum as Luke Cage or Jada Pinket Smith as Wonder Woman then I would hear some serious whining from the people around here. Well guess what? it's the same thing just because it's a small character doesn't mean they should f#*k it up. I agree with Clam I thought this movie was going well but if they can't get one simple fact right they're losing points fast.

Times are changing and color is becoming less of a factor to alot of people. I can see if this was about a movie of historical origins but it's just about fictional comic book characters that will always change with the times. Yes, it's about Norse gods (myths) and what not and yes they were white but if some people of color get sprinkled in the FICTIONAL movie so what. That's why they're called actors and actresses. Hey Robert Downy Jr.(white) played a black man in a movie and some people got upset. I thought it was funny myself because I knew he was an actor playing a part and getting paid for it. People get too hung up on color.

• Like 1

These characters aren't from Earth. They're extradimensional beings born to other extradimensional beings in...another dimension. It isn't like they have "Norse genes" to make them all blonde haired and blue-eyed. This also isn't "Mythological" Asgard. It's Marvel-Asgard, which is a whole different animal (which is why I scoff at all the people complaining about "But they don't look like real vikings!" THEY'RE NOT REAL VIKINGS. People need to lose this hangup on everything being "mythologically accurate" really damn fast, or they're definitely going to be setting themselves up for massive disappointment. Marvel's version of the Nordic Pantheon has never been terribly accurate, and includes a multitude of characters that never existed in the mythology as prominent supporting characters (The Warriors' Three) and antagonists (Amora the Enchantress and Skurge the Executioner, among others).

Given the well-known attraction of white supremacists to Nordic Mythology, throwing a little color into the Norse Pantheon is probably an example of political correctness done right, not political correctness run amok. But I'm sure the closet racists (and the not-so-closet racists) will join right in with the rabid fanboys and decry the whole movie as crap because of the casting one one minor supporting character.

• Like 1

Idris Elba is awesome. Stringer Bell? Charles Miner? Great actor.

I didn't hear anyone complain that Hugh Jackman didn't look exactly like Wolverine.

Both Hugh Jackman and Wolverine are white. ^_^

Wolverine is generally drawn around 5 feet, 3 inches. Hugh Jackman is listed at IMDB.com as 6 feet, 2 inches. Does that seem accurate to you?

• Like 1

Nothing against Idris Elba I'm sure he's a great actor but he doesn't look like a Viking, period! Now if they decided to replace Chistian Bale with Jamie Foxx in the next Batman movie or cast Channing Tatoum as Luke Cage or Jada Pinket Smith as Wonder Woman then I would hear some serious whining from the people around here. Well guess what? it's the same thing just because it's a small character doesn't mean they should f#*k it up. I agree with Clam I thought this movie was going well but if they can't get one simple fact right they're losing points fast.

You're so right, I mean The Dark Knight was such a piece of trash film. Take the Joker for example. Instead of being true to the Batman mythology and having him be a failed comedian that fell in a vat of acid that made his skin white and hair green, he's just a crazy guy with a semi-Glascow smile who rubs makeup on his face. I can't believe that film made any money whatsoever.

Oh, and uh, I don't know if you've ever seen Chris Hemsworth before but he doesn't look like a Norse God either.

You're so right, I mean The Dark Knight was such a piece of trash film. Take the Joker for example. Instead of being true to the Batman mythology and having him be a failed comedian that fell in a vat of acid that made his skin white and hair green, he's just a crazy guy with a semi-Glascow smile who rubs makeup on his face. I can't believe that film made any money whatsoever.

Oh, and uh, I don't know if you've ever seen Chris Hemsworth before but he doesn't look like a Norse God either.

You're completely missing the point, it's not about being completely accurate I mean I don't expect that when there's a casting for the Thor movie a man with a big beard, a viking outfit, the exact same height as Heimdall who also happens to be a great actor to walk in the set and get the part. My point is I don't expect the casting or the movie to be 100% accurate but the race of the character in this case it's important because if it does turn out that Idris is playing Heimdall not in human form or providing voice but full god Heimdall; it's gonna look pretty strange to put a black man in a nordic god pantheon. As for the Dark Knight I'm not an expert on the Joker but I don't ever remember the Joker being black. Now Lucius Fox is black in the comics and he was perfectly cast and portrayed by one the best actors in our generation who also happens to be black. Same with Commissioner Gordon now does any of these guys look in the movies exactly like they do in the comic books, not but that's all right because like I said there's always gonna be changes. But what me and everyone is trying to voice here is an opinion that when the Thor movie comes out and you have a bunch of bearded white guys running around in viking outfits there's gonna this one black dude among them looking kind of out place. That doesn't mean the might not do well God willing it will be a blockbuster but that one particular aspect is gonna look wrong in the movie or it might not who knows??

• Like 2

I'm with SCI-FI here thats as bad as that merlin show having an african american in midevil europe WTF

I guess whites are officaly a minority now huh if the confederacy could see all us honkey's now eh

I'm with SCI-FI here thats as bad as that merlin show having an african american in midevil europe WTF

I guess whites are officaly a minority now huh if the confederacy could see all us honkey's now eh

Well to start with it'd just be an "African" in Medieval Europe, since America didn't exist at the time.

Secondly, Africans were coming to Europe a lot earlier than Merlin was supposed to be taking place. (See: The Carthaginian Wars). The Romans had trade links as far away as Ethiopia. So in all truth, a black man in medieval Europe isn't nearly as unfathomable a thing as you seem to think it is.

• Like 2

I didn't hear anyone complain that Hugh Jackman didn't look exactly like Wolverine.

:rolleyes:

dumbest statement in a long time

Times are changing and color is becoming less of a factor to alot of people. I can see if this was about a movie of historical origins but it's just about fictional comic book characters that will always change with the times. Yes, it's about Norse gods (myths) and what not and yes they were white but if some people of color get sprinkled in the FICTIONAL movie so what. That's why they're called actors and actresses. Hey Robert Downy Jr.(white) played a black man in a movie and some people got upset. I thought it was funny myself because I knew he was an actor playing a part and getting paid for it. People get too hung up on color.

if they color Elba's skin white or use some special effects to make it look white, I won't complain

if they color Elba's skin white or use some special effects to make it look white, I won't complain

I agree. I doubt they'll do it, though. But, with Robert Downey Jr. playing black in TROPIC THUNDER I guess they might try it.

• Like 1

It really isn't. Skin color/race is pretty much as insignificant as height. One person mentioned Jaime Foxx being cast as Batman. Well, if you can prove to me he'd do a good job I'm all in. Next thing you'll tell me is Korean John Cho sucked as Sulu because the character is supposed to be Japanese.

Michael Clarke Duncan is the best example of this. What did you expect them to do, bring back John Rhys Davies for the role? They couldn't have picked a better actor for that role.

It really isn't. Skin color/race is pretty much as insignificant as height. One person mentioned Jaime Foxx being cast as Batman. Well, if you can prove to me he'd do a good job I'm all in. Next thing you'll tell me is Korean John Cho sucked as Sulu because the character is supposed to be Japanese.

Michael Clarke Duncan is the best example of this. What did you expect them to do, bring back John Rhys Davies for the role? They couldn't have picked a better actor for that role.

I believe we feel that was a dumb statement because when Hugh Jackman was originally cast people DID complain about him being too tall. In fact, people STILL think he is too tall. Very few deny Hugh had the characterization down, and performed the part brilliantly, but he is still too tall.

Also, there were a lot of people saying Liev Schreiber wasn't big, or ferocious looking, enough to play Sabretooth. He looked NOTHING like Sabretooth in the first X-Men movie. Sure, he performed the part great, but there wasn't a big enough size difference between him and Wolverine.

Well to start with it'd just be an "African" in Medieval Europe, since America didn't exist at the time.

Secondly, Africans were coming to Europe a lot earlier than Merlin was supposed to be taking place. (See: The Carthaginian Wars). The Romans had trade links as far away as Ethiopia. So in all truth, a black man in medieval Europe isn't nearly as unfathomable a thing as you seem to think it is.

yes but the black women in question is Guinevere. I don't remember her ever being African in any Arthurian legend I've read. but that doesn't matter because shes a freaking servant in the show anyway... hey thats kinda racist ... the only black person is the servant @hmmm@

He actually played a white guy that got skin pigmentation surgery. He was supposed to be a play on Heath Ledger like he seriously gets into his roles and such. And I think we all understand norse gods are myths, but these myths are derived from ancient scandinavian legend, and, unless my history is COMPLETELY wrong, there weren't any africans up in Norway fighting alongside the vikings. I honestly do not know who Idris Elba is, but he appears to be a good actor, which is fine, but accuracy is what we aim for in movies based from comic books.