I'm done!!

Lady Jaye

Hey Everyone,

I was reading the thread and i agree with Lady Jaye completely. Toy lines should not be this hard to find, I can imagine one figure now and again, but entire waves? It's really not worth the money traveling and the time calling for weeks and still end up with something or maybe 1 of the 7 you're looking for.

I've stopped hunting at the stores because of the costs of searching as well as the increase in prices, exclusives ect...

I'm a loose collector, and unless there's a baf i like there's no need for me to buy it new. Ebay and some of these messege boards are good enough to find the figures loose at about half the cost. In 10 years all these figures will be worth much much less and i can pick off the htf ones then. Patience is the key with this, last week i was able to purchase a Joker MOC for $12.50, and a loose forager for 8.50. (I bet if I wait a year or 2 i can pick these up in a lot for 7.00; just look at Marvel Legends).

Mattel doesn't get to dictate the terms that I buy figures. If they want to keep increasing their prices, and limiting the distribution then this line will die. And I'm sure they're not concerned about that because in the meantime look how much they're getting for the figures, almost 8.00 more than just a few years ago.Well, i've just about stopped buying them in the store, when i used to buy almost full waves. That's a pretty smart business plan, don't you think?

regards

Joshua

Hey Everyone,

I was reading the thread and i agree with Lady Jaye completely. Toy lines should not be this hard to find, I can imagine one figure now and again, but entire waves? It's really not worth the money traveling and the time calling for weeks and still end up with something or maybe 1 of the 7 you're looking for.

I've stopped hunting at the stores because of the costs of searching as well as the increase in prices, exclusives ect...

I'm a loose collector, and unless there's a baf i like there's no need for me to buy it new. Ebay and some of these messege boards are good enough to find the figures loose at about half the cost. In 10 years all these figures will be worth much much less and i can pick off the htf ones then. Patience is the key with this, last week i was able to purchase a Joker MOC for $12.50, and a loose forager for 8.50. (I bet if I wait a year or 2 i can pick these up in a lot for 7.00; just look at Marvel Legends).

Mattel doesn't get to dictate the terms that I buy figures. If they want to keep increasing their prices, and limiting the distribution then this line will die. And I'm sure they're not concerned about that because in the meantime look how much they're getting for the figures, almost 8.00 more than just a few years ago.Well, i've just about stopped buying them in the store, when i used to buy almost full waves. That's a pretty smart business plan, don't you think?

regards

Joshua

I'm not sure wave 10 has been hard to find. I think people are impatient. It looks like distribution of this wave has increased. My wally had gotten at least 6 cases on different occasions (once they got 2 I think). The other day they got 4 or 5 cases at once.

If there's room for them, then eventually you should find them. The problem here in the Austin area is that we're inundated with the crappy best of cases and waves 6 and 7, the sorry figures from that bunch!! This is why we aren't getting jack or squat when it comes to wave 10!!! @grumpy@

But anyhow, that's old news. This line is dead to me, and several deals are already in the works!! It would have been nice to see all those figures on my shelf! But oh well, perhaps it's time to move on!! When toys cost more than the minimum wage, something's not right!!!

• Like 1

For all of those who are saying, "I found ten cases, I found a dozen cases, etc" I think your finds are the exception, and not the rule.

Lady Jaye, I think I agree with the idea behind some of what you're saying, but DCUC aren't exactly the only consumer product out there with an inflated price. Compact disks still cost more than minimum wage, don't they? DC Direct figures have always cost more than minimum wage.

• Like 2

True, but just a lil over a year ago, they were 11 dollars with tax!! Now they're reaching 14 dollars and when they enact the price hike, 15 bucks without tax!! That's a damn shame!!! I do think they're trying to set it up so that they can take the sales online!!! @grumpy@ But yeah, they have always been over minimum wage, it was just that before it wasn't that much over!!!

Believe me, I don't have anything to gain from Mattel's increasing prices. But it's not like it used to be in the eighties. Figures aren't a billion dollar industry anymore that primarily caters to parents buying toys for their children. That was before Nintendo, and not everybody even had an Atari yet. They (figures) are more and more of a collectible item sold to adults. And that means that companies will try to charge as much as they think they possibly can under the pretense of them being "valuable collector's items". Mattel could be testing their consumer base to see just how much they can charge. But it didn't work out so well for Dark Knight Movie Masters at $20 each. And I think that just about everybody knew that it wasn't going to.

If there's room for them, then eventually you should find them. The problem here in the Austin area is that we're inundated with the crappy best of cases and waves 6 and 7, the sorry figures from that bunch!! This is why we aren't getting jack or squat when it comes to wave 10!!! @grumpy@

This is the case around here. You can only have so many aquamans, booster golds and kid flash hanging on the pegs taking ALL the room.

For all of those who are saying, "I found ten cases, I found a dozen cases, etc" I think your finds are the exception, and not the rule.

I agree, Down here we received very little at first then one or two cases BUT not at every store.

There are still a couple Wal Marts that don't have any wave 10.

True, but just a lil over a year ago, they were 11 dollars with tax!! Now they're reaching 14 dollars and when they enact the price hike, 15 bucks without tax!! That's a damn shame!!! I do think they're trying to set it up so that they can take the sales online!!! @grumpy@ But yeah, they have always been over minimum wage, it was just that before it wasn't that much over!!!

Don't you think the current price IS the price hike?

Lately, a lot of figure lines have increased to around 15 and more

IMO, because of the decrease among the younger demographics and the increase among us collectors, toy companies are increasing the $ of toys. I know that this isn't the sole reason of a price hike, but I am sure toy companies are dishing out higher prices in products such as DCUC because it is supported by Toy collectors who can afford collecting every figure in a wave.

If I am not mistaken, the larger Avatar (the James Cameron cat aliens m0vie, not the nickloden cartoon/movie) figs are 15 bucks. I wouldn't be suprised when most figures will cost around 14.99 retail; IMO, 14.99 is the new 9.99

its a sad day when a standard action figure is 15 bucks. Wasn't it wonderful when they were 4-5 bucks. I rememeber when they were around 6-7 bucks, I was like whoa...now look where we are.

Might want to look again.

The average toy - just got back from Wal-Mart (grabbed a Manbat for a friend) is priced from $7-10 (Spiderman, DCIH, Marvel line, Batman, Star Wars, etc.). G.I.Joes are now slashed down to $5 a pop. :D

its a sad day when a standard action figure is 15 bucks. Wasn't it wonderful when they were 4-5 bucks. I rememeber when they were around 6-7 bucks, I was like whoa...now look where we are.

The average toy - just got back from Wal-Mart (grabbed a Manbat for a friend) is priced from $7-10 (Spiderman, DCIH, Marvel line, Batman, Star Wars, etc.). G.I.Joes are now slashed down to $5 a pop. :D

I think Superpowers was referrin' to the 6 inch figures as standard figs and he is correct. Stuff like Gi joe were priced around 3 dollars back then, but are now around 7-12 bucks (before clearance.)

I went to Walgreens today and was shocked that the movie is 11.99. I am aware the cost of toys are expensive at drugstores, but before the figures were on clearance, they were 7-9 bucks.

Regardless, stuff like Gi joe, batman, Marvel(the 3 3/4 series,) star wars, etc.. are in a smaller scale and are priced less than a larger six inch fig, which ppl refer to as "standard."

It is said that when wave 11 hits, DCUC will cost 14.99 per fig. Even though most figs are currently priced around 12.99 for a six inch (TF deluxe which has had a recent price increase of 12-15 bucks, DCUC, etc,) a lot of them will jump in price in the next couple of months

I think Superpowers was referrin' to the 6 inch figures as standard figs and he is correct. Stuff like Gi joe were priced around 3 dollars back then, but are now around 7-12 bucks (before clearance.)

I went to Walgreens today and was shocked that the movie is 11.99. I am aware the cost of toys are expensive at drugstores, but before the figures were on clearance, they were 7-9 bucks.

Regardless, stuff like Gi joe, batman, Marvel(the 3 3/4 series,) star wars, etc.. are in a smaller scale and are priced less than a larger six inch fig, which ppl refer to as "standard."

You've got to account for inflation as well:

$3.00 in 1983 had about the same buying power as $6.46 in 2009.Annual inflation over this period was about 3%.

I've got a bunch of the movie related Joes, and I don't believe I spent over $7 on any of them. Picked most up when TrU ran a 2 for $10 sale. As with any consumer item, you've got to shop smarter these days.

The Batman and Spiderman cartoon figures are slightly larger than 3 3/4th though. It's odd though, 6" figures just seem to be on the way out. Looking at stuff like DCIH, Marvel Universe line, and the others. 3 3/4th seems to be coming back into fashion.

It is said that when wave 11 hits, DCUC will cost 14.99 per fig. Even though most figs are currently priced around 12.99 for a six inch (TF deluxe which has had a recent price increase of 12-15 bucks, DCUC, etc,) a lot of them will jump in price in the next couple of months

Inflation does blow; but since I've been focusing primarily on this line and the fact that DC Direct Figures cost significantly more and offer less articulation I still find the DCUC stuff to be acceptable. Just wish I didn't need to go to such lengths to track them down. @hmmm@

The Batman and Spiderman cartoon figures are slightly larger than 3 3/4th though. It's odd though, 6" figures just seem to be on the way out. Looking at stuff like DCIH, Marvel Universe line, and the others. 3 3/4th seems to be coming back into fashion.

Ooh, yer just a' askin' fer a -1 with kind of talk, buddyguitar.gif

Ooh, yer just a' askin' fer a -1 with kind of talk, buddyguitar.gif

Oh yeah, forgot the recent Wolverine movie figures, Star Trek line also had small figures, and that new X-Men line.

Who wants to take bets Iron Man 2 toys will be 3 3/4th? :P

That's already been confirmed. But there will be some Marvel Select IM2 figs.

The average toy - just got back from Wal-Mart (grabbed a Manbat for a friend) is priced from $7-10 (Spiderman, DCIH, Marvel line, Batman, Star Wars, etc.). G.I.Joes are now slashed down to $5 a pop. biggrin.gif

You got my point,

I was also thinking about giving up on the line but no because of availability but more so character selection and dare I say sculpting. Others probably have issue with the QC but mine is more general design. Power Girl looks awful in Wave 10 by putting these unsightly notches on the figures body compared to her 13" DCD incarnation. Makes her look less "human" and more like Robotman's bride to be. And Black Canary is another travesty. They messed the paintjob on her hair and then another strike for not giving her articulation with the body. The same body will be reused on Wave 13 Donna Troy. Some of the liberties that the 4H take with this line is confusing at times. I guess part of it also has to do with the cost effectiveness of cheap, reusable parts for the figures so Mattel can continue churning these things out on a regular basis.

On to the topic of character selection. They are delving deep in the 2010 Waves after I heard about some rumored lineups for Waves 14-16 from a leaked Wal-Mart computer list and seeing many Doom Patrol and Metal Men along with the usual suspects but I still can't find anything interesting next year to buy other than Spectre. And this comes after singling out characters rather than going after entire waves for the C2C.

Well I liked and wanted the Power Girl figure!! The only way I would ever come back to the line now, is if they lowered the friggin price, 11 bucks is fine!! And if they came out with Wild Dog!!! #US1# If he came out, then I'd surely get back in for him. Oh and for Hawk and Dove. But the price is a big factor!!

Well I liked and wanted the Power Girl figure!! The only way I would ever come back to the line now, is if they lowered the friggin price, 11 bucks is fine!! And if they came out with Wild Dog!!! #US1# If he came out, then I'd surely get back in for him. Oh and for Hawk and Dove. But the price is a big factor!!

Don't forget a Captain Truimph figure....

Wild Dog? This was a character that I had buried in the back of my mind... until I moved to New Jersey. He was a cult hero in the comic book shops. Every week... Wild Dog this and Wild Dog that. It was maddening.

BUT for my main reason for chiming in... POWER GIRL. She didn't sell too well on this Black Friday as there were pegs and pegs of this line at every Walmart that I went to. Hopefully we'll see some nice clearance prices this year.