Question about G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra Cover Girl

mako

For ROC fans...

Okay, I've been holding onto this question since I saw the movie for the first time (first matinee, day one baby!), until everyone who was gonna see it had.

Not so much looking for an answer, I have my own, as gathering opinions...

Did Cover Girl die at Zartan's hand? Yes or No? Reasoning?

The way I see it no she didn't die. I have two reasons. . .

A. She was hot, and that would suck.

B. If you caught the little exchange between Zartan and Storm Shadow, you saw Zartan hold Cover Girl up while looking at Storm Shadow as if waiting for something (for Stormy to make the final cut, maybe). When Stormy ignores him, Zartan come back with "Oh yes, you don't kill women...," then he lets Cover Girl fall. Could mean she lived. Zartan might have even left her alive, but brutally injured, as a warning/example to the joes.

So what do you guys think?

she was stabed in the stomach so she probably lived for a while allowing zartan to lift her up to annoy storm shadow but with a big curved blade in her belly after awhile her entralls would fallout plus the third time I watched the film I swore I heard a cracking noise when zartan drops her the subtitles didn't mention the crack but I swear it was there

For ROC fans...

Okay, I've been holding onto this question since I saw the movie for the first time (first matinee, day one baby!), until everyone who was gonna see it had.

B. If you caught the little exchange between Zartan and Storm Shadow, you saw Zartan hold Cover Girl up while looking at Storm Shadow as if waiting for something (for Stormy to make the final cut, maybe). When Stormy ignores him, Zartan come back with "Oh yes, you don't kill women...," then he lets Cover Girl fall. Could mean she lived. Zartan might have even left her alive, but brutally injured, as a warning/example to the joes.

She's dead.

She's a nobody character in the movie with a nothing story about her, and there's no reason to have her back in the sequel. She was cannon fodder, just another face in the crowd. If it had been important to have her kept alive, there would have been a shot of her in a hospital bed. And since the Joes were too busy trying to track their attackers, no time to mourn the dead in the morgue either.

When he said to Storm Shadow, "Oh yes, you don't kill women.." the unspoken implication is that Zartan has no such qualms and will, in fact, kill a woman - as he just demonstrated.

Unless she's a Highlander, she's dead.

Seriously though, the other point is valid as well. She never had any characterization beyond basically, "This is Covergirl".

For ROC fans...

She's dead. The only reason Zartan says "That's right, you don't kill women" is because Storm Shadow was looking at him in disgust. Zartan would not only kill a woman, he took a sick pleasure in it, which is obvious when he says "Goodbye sweetheart" or whatever it is he said.

Zartan is a sadistic #$##.

Could go either way. The crack could have been the computer she was hold either falling on the ground or her falling on it. Heck if it's possible Storm Shadow lived then it's possible for Cover Girl to have.

that's what me and some of my friends keep arguing over is storm shadow dead I honestly think he escaped because he fell in water and in the scene where you see the first destro's mask fall to the water there is a pod thing in the background plus it's very possible he had been augmented with nano-mites which would heal his wounds(but if he had the nano-mites in his system he should have been able to beat snake-eyes unless he didn't want to kill snake-eyes so maybe he joined up with MARS to find the true assassin(zartan) that killed their master like in the comics

First off Storm Shadow did survive your not gonna tell me that they just killed him off for and thats that for him and Snake Eyes. He fell in that ice cold water so he won't bleed to death which would give a Viper enough time to pick him up real quick they never tell you how many MARS/Cobra troops escaped so it is likely he will be in the sequal. Secondly for Cover Girl its again possible if not more probable she could have survived yes she was stabbed through the back/stomach, but if the blade wasn't removed she wouldn't bleed out and would have a much better chance of living depending on how many of her vital organs he hit with the blade. But considering its Zartan he probably would take his blade and if the blade is anything like the one that comes with the toy i think it has a couple teeth on it that are sure to cause even more damage upon removal of it. On the other hand maybe it was stuck because of the computer she had and he left it, I will bet she is dead though cause lets face it they never showed Cyclops' body but they said he was dead for almost the entire X-Men Last Stand Movie its like a confirmed/unconfirmed death.

In the commentary for the movie I seem to recall Sommers and Company stating she was dead . . . doesn't mean that the film itself didn't leave an opening for retcon but as of now she is supposed to be dead. There is also some interesting info regarding the final battle between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow if you listen to the commentary.

• 2 months later...

In the commentary for the movie I seem to recall Sommers and Company stating she was dead . . . doesn't mean that the film itself didn't leave an opening for retcon but as of now she is supposed to be dead. There is also some interesting info regarding the final battle between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow if you listen to the commentary.

i think she's still alive. i mean they could just use nanomites on her body and bring back and nobody did she her get buried. and i really want to see her in the sequel. if they put shipwreck in the second film, they could make them lovers. i also want to talk about snake eyes stabbing storm shadow. he also stabbed a knife into him and then he fell into the arctic water. if storm shadow is still alive then what makes you think cover girl isn't. think about it.

• Like 1

if storm shadow is still alive then what makes you think cover girl isn't. think about it.

Because Storm Shadow's character brings something to the story--there's plenty of reasons( dramatic conflict) for the character to return.

What the reason for Cover Girl to return? To hold or file away the papers that General Hawk hands her?? What does the character bring to the story besides that?

Anything??

She's dead and will not be coming back.

I know I'm comparing apples and oranges here, and after all we are talking about make-believe movies, where anything can happen, but...what about when Mystique was stabbed by Wolverine's adamantium claws in X-Men; she survived that. But who's to say as a mutant she didn't have some kind of healing factor working in her favor as well? I personally always interpreted that scene with Zartan in ROC that he did indeed kill Cover Girl by the way he talked to both her and Storm Shadow. I think her death was implied by those two little exchanges. But hey...like I said, it's the movies and anything can happen. I happen to personally think that having Zartan kill Cover Girl showed just how sick, cold-blooded, and dangerous he is. But maybe that's just me...

I know I'm comparing apples and oranges here, and after all we are talking about make-believe movies, where anything can happen, but...what about when Mystique was stabbed by Wolverine's adamantium claws in X-Men; she survived that. But who's to say as a mutant she didn't have some kind of healing factor working in her favor as well?

In the case of Mystique,it was made clear the character would return because of the shot of a "her" as a security guard with the puncture wounds was the tip-off.

That is the clear storytelling point--after a mortal wound, and seeming "death"--if they revisit the character before the end of that specific story, then there is an intent to bring the character back, most likely in the next story. That is part of dramatic structure, and the tip-off sets that up.

Cover-girl had no tip-off scene. She was not considered important in the story, and so there is no need to bring her bag. Some times cannon fodder is just cannon fodder.

if storm shadow is still alive then what makes you think cover girl isn't. think about it.

What the reason for Cover Girl to return? To hold or file away the papers that General Hawk hands her?? What does the character bring to the story besides that?

Anything??

Cover Girl should come back to divert Ripcord's attention away from Scarlett, which, leaves an opening for Snake-Eyes to swoop in and claim his redheaded prize.

Unfortunately, yeah, she's dead.

it also depends where he stabbed her also it didn't look like it hit her heart though it looked pretty serious enough to be fatal and it did evidently go through her spine somost likely her spinal cords were severed

• 1 month later...

Because Storm Shadow's character brings something to the story--there's plenty of reasons( dramatic conflict) for the character to return.

Anything??

that's not true. she has a lot to offer. there are only a few gi joe female charcaters. and besides scarlett, lady jaye, zarana, baroness, jinx,agent helix and the female dial tone, she is one of the three female joes in the movie.

plus they can always change her hair red.

and when the sequel comes out they can give her a bigger role and make her more apart of the team. maybe we'll see her in a action sequence riding in a helicopter or driving a tank firing at cobra.

Anything??