I am out of room and I don't know what to do

DRS

So I used to have an entire room dedicated to my collection. I got married in July and had too take all of my figures off the walls when we had family come and stay with us. (they covered every inch of wall space in the room) and put them in the closet (a walk in closet that also had every inch of wall space covered). I don't know if I want to hang everything up but I don't want too just keep my collection piled up and locked away in the closet, any suggestions on what I can do to display my toys without totally overtaking the room?

So I used to have an entire room dedicated to my collection. I got married in July and had too take all of my figures off the walls when we had family come and stay with us. (they covered every inch of wall space in the room) and put them in the closet (a walk in closet that also had every inch of wall space covered). I don't know if I want to hang everything up but I don't want too just keep my collection piled up and locked away in the closet, any suggestions on what I can do to display my toys without totally overtaking the room?

Do what I did: buy a bigger house.

kill the extra family =___=

This is always a problem, if you collect arrow is right the only thing to do is buy alarger house right from the getgo ... I'm currently saving up for one my self! & yeah you either got to sell some off or start being more picky with what you pick up...

Somehow I thought I would get advice that was a bit more creative and useful........thanks anyway.

Somehow I thought I would get advice that was a bit more creative and useful........thanks anyway.

Yes, I was flippant, but really what else could you expect?

Toys take up real estate in a room, and unless you display on shelves, in a stacked manner....well, you'll not be able to see everything ( which defeats the purpose of displaying them).

The only option is to spill out the display to other parts of the house......which then threatens to raise the ire of the spouse. That or you rotate the display , putting some items in storage, and displaying others and changing things every few months as you like.

But if you really want to display it all......

The only other possible solution, as insane as it sounds, is to increase the space in the house. To do THAT you either do a reno, or buy a bigger home.

And just as an aside, I bought a house about 10 years ago, with a 900 sq foot finished basement--which was all mine. I was able to display EVERYTHING in my collection, for the time we were in the home. It was glorious.

I now have about a 150 sq foot room/office/studio space for my working area and toy display. Its a work in progress and I still have as much stuff, if not more than I had in the other home--yet I'm confident that onces its set up with bookcases, I'll be able to display about 75% of what I have.

Display them at my house. @firedevil@

sorry guys you may as well stop trying there is clearly no ideas here he has not thought of him self in which point I don't see why he is even asking expecting us to pull some magic answer out of our asses @hmmm@

What you gotta do is pick out a certain amount of space you want to dedicate to your toys and do NOT let them spread beyond that space.

My GI Joes have a walk in closet dedicated to them. I picked the ones I wanted to display and the rest are packed away neatly. They can't all be displayed at once, so every once in a while I'll rotate them. Now a lot of the time I want to set them up outside of the closet and into other areas of my bachelor pad (:) ) but I know that will just open up the flood gates so NOTHING comes beyond that.

It also depends on what kind of displayer you are. Some people like to stand up every figure side by side in one huge mass or army of figues to the point where if one guy happens to fall over, they all go down. (Personally I think that method ends up looking like clutter) but you can get most of your figues stood up and out of the box that way.

I personally like to have some kind of order to my display, maybe pose one or two of them, which requires more space but looks better overall IMO. Less cluttery looking. I'd love to have my 1982-1994 figures but I can't fit them ALL without looking like a mess of toys. So bottom line, you have to, at some point, make a decision about what gets displayed and what doesn't. I'm to that point to, believe me!

I'd definitely agree that the easiest and least expensive idea would be to rotate the collection. I have one bedroom dedicated to my collection and use some of my in-house office space to display my newest acquisitions and 1 or 2 collections at a time. While it does mean you have to put some stuff in storage or in a closet, you get to rotate things around and enjoy setting up your display and creating new setups.

I'd definitely agree that the easiest and least expensive idea would be to rotate the collection. I have one bedroom dedicated to my collection and use some of my in-house office space to display my newest acquisitions and 1 or 2 collections at a time. While it does mean you have to put some stuff in storage or in a closet, you get to rotate things around and enjoy setting up your display and creating new setups.

I like this idea, I however use thumbtacks on my walls so I have to find a something that won't put a bunch of holes in my walls every time I switch things around. I'm not completely against covering up the walls again but another problem that I have is that I use this room as a band practice area too and sometimes the guys tend to elbow the figures around them when they play. I know that I should move them out of there if I want them to be safe.

Serious Answer: My grandfather was a toy collector and he eventually just built a toy room (detached) in the back yard just for his toys.

And his train set was on a pulley system in the garage which he could raise up if he had to.

I like this idea too. I have a detached garage and that would give me plenty of space and the wife wouldn't #@$#@ about it then. I would be worried about someone breaking in though, maybe I'll just invest in some really good locks and a bigger gun.

Serious Answer: My grandfather was a toy collector and he eventually just built a toy room (detached) in the back yard just for his toys.

And his train set was on a pulley system in the garage which he could raise up if he had to.

I like this idea too. I have a detached garage and that would give me plenty of space and the wife wouldn't #@$#@ about it then. I would be worried about someone breaking in though, maybe I'll just invest in some really good locks and a bigger gun.

Is it empty now? Cause, unless you have had break ins into it, I don't know why you'd be worried all of a sudden...unless there's a toy thief in the neighborhood. ;)

Is it empty now? Cause, unless you have had break ins into it, I don't know why you'd be worried all of a sudden...unless there's a toy thief in the neighborhood. ;)

Well I haven't had a break in but then again it's not something that you ever expect to happen, but life is unpredictable.

I shed would be a good alternative... as long as you can keep it "climate controlled"

I still live in an apartment, and I rotate my toys for display. I have one glass case with four shelves (from IKEA) and a book shelf that I put things on. A few things reside on my desk as well. I try not to over-clutter my room as not to scare off visitors (and I don't like too much clutter). Of course, if they look under my bed where I store all the containers of action figures, then they'll get a sense of the enormity of my collecting habits.

I had to move mine out to a detached garage about 3 years ago due to twins showing up after my duaghter. I did not want to at first, but now I have it mostly full and need more display cases. Never had any problems yet and hopefully won't. The thing about out there you can paint the walls like you want or hang other things to go with the collections.

Creative ideas....hmmm...have you tried hanging them off the ceiling?Like rotating store displays.

But seriously,beyond that you've got 3 choices:

1) Build an addition

2) Rip that stuff out of the package and use shelves you probably already have to display ALL of it (assuming you collect carded)

3) Tell the wife what's up (warning: this option,while liberating,can be life altering)

One thing I did was I found these long white shelves at ikea that you mount directly on the walls, and I put them above the closet doors, and then a got a couple more to put on the adjacent walls. You'd be surprised at how many figures I fit up there. Granted, they aren't at eye level, but I was able to put a lot of older figures that had already had prime display real estate for awhile on the hi rise shelf. They still got to be displayed, it freed up alot of room for the newer figures, and overall it added to the aesthetic of the room.

A few things; if you're a collector, you shouldn't have to hide your hobby from your in-laws or anyone else. If they look down their nose at it, then eff them. It's not any different than collecting and displaying sport memorabilia or war memorabilia or vintage 45 vinyl records or anything else that someone does as a hobby. It's YOUR house and you live in it 365 days, 24/7. They are visiting for a few days at most.

I used to have stuff displayed willy nilly all over the house. Figures on my TV, figures on my computer desk. Some on this shelf over here, some on that shelf over there. Eventually it got too crazy. It was infinitely more satisfying to set aside one room and put everything in there to just go in and enjoy. I applaud you for having a 'toy room' and your spouse should too. It lets her have the rest of the house be "normal".

Lastly, I agree with everyone that said free your figures from their plastic prisons! I understand it's a personal preference to keep them carded, but I just don't get it. It's like buying a car and leaving it parked in the garage. Or putting in a pool and never swimming in it...

Get one of those climate controlled storage rooms... get the big 20x15 foot one and just buy a bunch of shelves and set them up there... get it near home or work, and you can just go there every day and admire your collection.. and look.. now your wife has a sewing room... win-win!!! Might cost you an extra $80-150 a month but hey.. it's only money... right?