IDW transformers #1

synch

I miss the robot anime style faces and before some idiot comments, saying that the generation one designs are entirely made by Marvel, they didn't. The Marvel designs that were mostly used in the comics during the first run were actually based on Shohei Kohara, an artist who working at Takara at the time. Even though the robots were based on Kohara's designs, the faces were drawn in a more western style. For instance, the transformers with faces has a more "realistic" looking style to them; the cheeks bones were not angular and the face of the transformers were rounder. This look is close to the human-looking bumblebee in the pic that Mike posted.

The robot designs for the first season of transformers were also based on Shōhei Kohara's designs. Floro Devy, one of the artist at Sunbow, simply simplified Kohara's robot design by making the heads bigger and removing the wheels in robot mode. However, for the design of Megatron, Devy redesigned his face. This is why Megatron doesn't have the standard anime robot face and might be the reason why some japanese artist couldn't get Megatron's face right.

I believe that because Kohara's robot head designs were left mostly unmodified during the g1 cartoon series, the generic anime style faces has become an iconic part of transformers. I am positive if Devy modified the other tranformer's faces like he did with Megatron, the transformers would look completely different.

Kohara_Autobots.jpg

Kohara's concept

Deryizedsideswipe.jpg

Devy's redesign of sideswipe

Character_models.png

Devy's designs of sideswipe and red alert. Notice that Devy's red alert design is based more on the toy; during season 2, Devy did all the character models from stratch.

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Sh%C5%8Dhei_Kohara

Sorry for making a long comment about this, but every time I say something about the designs being anime-like, I get "corrected" on it.

I miss the robot anime style faces and before some idiot comments, saying that the generation one designs are entirely made by Marvel, they didn't. The Marvel designs that were mostly used in the comics during the first run were actually based on Shohei Kohara, an artist who working at Takara at the time. Even though the robots were based on Kohara's designs, the faces were drawn in a more western style. For instance, the transformers with faces has a more "realistic" looking style to them; the cheeks bones were not angular and the face of the transformers were rounder. This look is close to the human-looking bumblebee in the pic that Mike posted.

The robot designs for the first season of transformers were also based on Shōhei Kohara's designs. Floro Devy, one of the artist at Sunbow, simply simplified Kohara's robot design by making the heads bigger and removing the wheels in robot mode. However, for the design of Megatron, Devy redesigned his face. This is why Megatron doesn't have the standard anime robot face and might be the reason why some japanese artist couldn't get Megatron's face right.

I believe that because Kohara's robot head designs were left mostly unmodified during the g1 cartoon series, the generic anime style faces has become an iconic part of transformers. I am positive if Devy modified the other tranformer's faces like he did with Megatron, the transformers would look completely different.

Kohara_Autobots.jpg

Kohara's concept

Deryizedsideswipe.jpg

Character_models.png

Devy's designs of sideswipe and red alert. Notice that Devy's red alert design is based more on the toy; during season 2, Devy did all the character models from stratch.

Sorry for making a long comment about this, but every time I say something about the designs being anime-like, I get "corrected" on it.

hey don't worry about it anime like is how I would describe the g1 cartoon characters design especially the ones from dawn of the the primitives

Kohara_Autobots.jpg

Kohara's concept

Deryizedsideswipe.jpg

Character_models.png

hey don't worry about it anime like is how I would describe the g1 cartoon characters design especially the ones from dawn of the the primitives

Thanks. Some TF fans seems to get offended whenever someone calls "g1" anime, much like how some g1 purist says "truck, not munky." They claim that G1 is completely american made even though the toys themselves were made several years earilar by Takara. Unknownish to most, a lot of cartoons during the 80s' (storyboards, art illustrations and directions) were done by well-known anime designers. For instance, the mech designs in M.A.S.K. and the new adventures of He-man were done by Shinji Amaraki, who's known for the mech designs for Appleseed and Gundam. Although M.A.S.K. was drawn and animated by several japanese studios, I am saying the M.A.S.K. and the new adventures of he-man they are "anime" in regards to art style, but the mechanical designs are made by anime artists.

I believe that the g1 Transformers isn't soley based on western artsyles like Scooby Doo, but is more of an joint adaption done by Marvel and Takara; I assume that hassbro commissioned Marvel to make human characters, flesh out character personalities, and adapt the original story for the comics and carrtoon tie ins (much like how they commissed Marvel to flesh out the Gi Joe) and commissioned Takara to revamp the robots to be used for the comics and cartoon.

As for the topic, the new robot designs look odd. They remind of the old Marvel comics art with infulences from the TF live action films. I think it is odd to use the new art style as a way to make generation one more realistic. I mean, if they went with the new art style because of realism, they also have to take out the robots' ability to alter their mass size. The whole plastic metal concept is not only use for robots being able to show human facial gestures but also the ability to change from a human size radio to a 3 story robot.

let me tell u my impressions of ish. No.1

i bought it yesterday and read it last night. it was a quick read, nothing really impressive, but something weird happened in my mind while reading it. I was hearing the voices of PETER CULLEN and JUDD NELSON when reading the dialogues of Optimus, Ironhide and Hotrod, and at the same time i was admiring the ÜBER detailed Transformers drawn in those pages.

I do not know what to say, but I WILL definetly LOOK FORWARD for Ish.2 and hope that they do not change the art style any time soon. SORRY, but I REALLY LIKED DON's ARTWORK. and hope that those designs could make it through the next TF live action movies.

perial

i bought it yesterday and read it last night. it was a quick read, nothing really impressive, but something weird happened in my mind while reading it. I was hearing the voices of PETER CULLEN and JUDD NELSON when reading the dialogues of Optimus, Ironhide and Hotrod, and at the same time i was admiring the ÜBER detailed Transformers drawn in those pages.

I do not know what to say, but I WILL definetly LOOK FORWARD for Ish.2 and hope that they do not change the art style any time soon. SORRY, but I REALLY LIKED DON's ARTWORK. and hope that those designs could make it through the next TF live action movies.

perial

well atleast the designs are closer to GEEWUNN than the TINO(transformers in name only)film was. might pick this up and give it a chance when I have the money for two reasons

1.don figueroa is one of my favourite artists to ever draw transformes

2.and the story sounds awesome

perial

well atleast the designs are closer to GEEWUNN than the TINO(transformers in name only)film was. might pick this up and give it a chance when I have the money for two reasons

Yes pal, give it a try.

Looks like IDW is trying to fix all the harm that several others publishers and media have done in the TF mythos.

TOO MANY REBOOTS and bad mainstray continuity.

IMO, there should be only 3 UNIVERSES somehow.

TV, LIVE ACTION MOVIES & COMICS.

and all of them SELF-CONTAINED.

i.e.

UNIVERSE #1:

ALL the former G1 (US & JP) anime AND manga FROM THE 80'S & 90'S(minus the 3-part REBIRTH), The MARVEL COMICS run, all the G2 manga, & BINALTECH and the DREAMWAVE'S STUFF (minus WAR WITHIN)

UNIVERSE #2:

MICHAEL BAY'S STUFF & IDW'S movie stuff.

UNIVERSE #3:

IDW's current G1 STUFF, DREAMWAVE'S The WAR WITHIN stories, CAR ROBOTS 2YK, ALL the BEAST WARS stuff (TV & COMICS), ALL the UNICRON TRILOGY (tv & comics), AND the SHATTERED GLASS concept.

do you think it could work out?.

AS for the TINOs, @loll@ WHO SAID THEY WERE TRANSFORMERS?

they are GO-BOTS!!!!!!

ironhide? his name is TORK!

starscream? his name is LEADER-1

jazz? is that BARON VON JOY? @smilepunch@

perial

Yes pal, give it a try.

Looks like IDW is trying to fix all the harm that several others publishers and media have done in the TF mythos.

i.e.

UNIVERSE #1:

ALL the former G1 (US & JP) anime AND manga FROM THE 80'S & 90'S(minus the 3-part REBIRTH), The MARVEL COMICS run, all the G2 manga, & BINALTECH and the DREAMWAVE'S STUFF (minus WAR WITHIN)

UNIVERSE #2:

UNIVERSE #3:

IDW's current G1 STUFF, DREAMWAVE'S The WAR WITHIN stories, CAR ROBOTS 2YK, ALL the BEAST WARS stuff (TV & COMICS), ALL the UNICRON TRILOGY (tv & comics), AND the SHATTERED GLASS concept.

they are GO-BOTS!!!!!!

That is basically the japanese construct the TF series.

Accordin to the official chronology, Robots in Disguise is in the g1 continuity, hence I why I assume they really didnt use any existing TF names in the original japanese ver. The anime fits in g1 continuity for the most part Japaneseflowchart.jpg

perial

Yes pal, give it a try.

i.e.

UNIVERSE #1:

UNIVERSE #2:

UNIVERSE #3:

they are GO-BOTS!!!!!!

I remember back when there was only one universe/continuity g1-beastwars then in 01 hasbro came out with RID and screwed up the whole thing now we have several different universes and several confusing multiverse charts ah if only hasbro and takara heard your idea of only a few alternate universes but i guess that they'll never stop making toys now that there are all those universes.I'm still waiting for the transtech toys to be made and now that they have a transtech universe hasbro hopefully will make a few transtech figures and stuff them into the universe line

perial

Yes pal, give it a try.

i.e.

UNIVERSE #1:

UNIVERSE #2:

UNIVERSE #3:

they are GO-BOTS!!!!!!

I remember back when there was only one universe/continuity g1-beastwars then in 01 hasbro came out with RID and screwed up the whole thing now we have several different universes and several confusing multiverse charts ah if only hasbro and takara heard your idea of only a few alternate universes but i guess that they'll never stop making toys now that there are all those universes.I'm still waiting for the transtech toys to be made and now that they have a transtech universe hasbro hopefully will make a few transtech figures and stuff them into the universe line

There were several continuities during G1; RID did not screw things. There are the US g1 cartoon, the japanese g1 cartoon, the japanese g1 comic, the us comics, and the UK comics(which had parallel universes).

Wasn't the Beast Wars conitnuity a continutation of both the US g1 cartoon and comics?

At first I really like IDW's Transformers comics, back when it was Escalation and Devastation, but they haven't been interesting to me lately. All Hail Megatron was okay but I started losing interest in it, and now once again they skipped ahead several years and I don't like the faces either.

perial

Yes pal, give it a try.

i.e.

UNIVERSE #1:

UNIVERSE #2:

UNIVERSE #3:

they are GO-BOTS!!!!!!

There were several continuities during G1; RID did not screw things. There are the US g1 cartoon, the japanese g1 cartoon, the japanese g1 comic, the us comics, and the UK comics(which had parallel universes).

Wasn't the Beast Wars conitnuity a continutation of both the US g1 cartoon and comics?

yeah but I mean series wise comics don't really count I mean toy series and cartoon and I believe beastwars continuity was set after the marvel comics timeline by 300 hundred years and beastmachines presumably 4 months or so after the beastwars cartoon.and I meant that RID was the start of several reboots had they done transtech there wouldn't be as many continuities but then again they might have started thewave of alternate continuities still I'm starting to get used to the idea of the multiverse that way with more than one continuity thew really can't screw up on the original stuff with a bunch of retcons like the retcon in the return of optimus prime where prime is found in a starship and is fully restored but in the dark awakening he was damaged severly with several other deceased transformers from the 86 movie but the others are no where to be seen in the return of optimus prime

perial

Yes pal, give it a try.

i.e.

UNIVERSE #1:

UNIVERSE #2:

UNIVERSE #3:

they are GO-BOTS!!!!!!

yeah but I mean series wise comics don't really count I mean toy series and cartoon and I believe beastwars continuity was set after the marvel comics timeline by 300 hundred years and beastmachines presumably 4 months or so after the beastwars cartoon.and I meant that RID was the start of several reboots had they done transtech there wouldn't be as many continuities but then again they might have started thewave of alternate continuities still I'm starting to get used to the idea of the multiverse that way with more than one continuity thew really can't screw up on the original stuff with a bunch of retcons like the retcon in the return of optimus prime where prime is found in a starship and is fully restored but in the dark awakening he was damaged severly with several other deceased transformers from the 86 movie but the others are no where to be seen in the return of optimus prime

You know, i'm not a neophyte about TRANSFORMERS history, but i'd like to take a chance about it.

My first "lagoon" is in the comics media, specifically UK comics.

i started collecting TF comics in Marvel's run #9 (i didn't liked it 'cause i was more on the cartoon) and then SKIIIIIIPED it until issue #66 or #67, it was the MATRIX QUEST storyline. and followed loyaly the comic until issue #80. it was a sad day to me back then.

Those comics introduced to me several characters that i couldn't really identify, 'cause the last TV episode i saw was The Rebirth part 3, and all the "NEW" stuff i knew back then were only HEADMASTERS & TARGETMASTERS, and o'course SIXSHOT. the decepticon one 'con army :o

then almost at the same time, i got a "MIRACLOUSLY" find from a frind who gifted to me an "UNKNOWN" autobot, it was QUICKSWITCH.... :o the autobots nemesis for SIXSHOT :o

Then the G2 comic books began to be published, but it featured the same TF's from ayore, and really nothing new. It was like issue #81, i was happy but at the same time annoyed, too many loose ends from TF vol.1 and too many new beginning in G2 #1. what was going on?

then the comic run ended at #12 and it passed away with no glory at all. The TF were "dead" again.

But, it came a day when after returning from college, while i was watchin a local TV channel, I spotted a TV ad in which they announced a new show "The Transformers", i thought they were re-runs, OH MY GOD!!!!! it featured ANIME and showed non other than GODMASTER Optimus Prime, and yet another to me unknown AUTOBOT, It looked like an Autobot swordsman :o:o .

YES.... it was STAR SABER! and my TF universe got a little more complicated.

I understood back then that there were two "universal" stuff happening. and then i remembered an old storyline from the original Marvel Vol.1 back then. It stablished that there "existed other dimensions" in the TF mythos. #WTF#

i believe that all the messing in TF history has had an "accidental" genesis since that time. maybe on purpose, maybe not.

If we could "tie" somehow several of those old stories, just like what i.e. LUCASFILM has done with STARWARS, then there couldn't be any "non-canon" or "canon" which has become a common theme in all TF discussions on the web.

I do have a theory in which i am based to stablish ONLY 3 Universes, but we need to let know all the publishers, all the writers what works out and what do not.

IMO, TFanimated fell in another bad mainstay continuity, since episode 1, in which RATCHET watches old recordings from the archives; and it was from G1 TV episode "WAR DAWN" #WTF#

we do not need more re-boots EVER!!!!! just give us some STRIGHTLINED continuty for once and for all, I believe that we deserve it. It has been TOOO many years of loyal following just to throw suddenly all we know to the thrash. @pow@

perial

Yes pal, give it a try.

i.e.

UNIVERSE #1:

UNIVERSE #2:

UNIVERSE #3:

they are GO-BOTS!!!!!!

You know, i'm not a neophyte about TRANSFORMERS history, but i'd like to take a chance about it.

My first "lagoon" is in the comics media, specifically UK comics.

i started collecting TF comics in Marvel's run #9 (i didn't liked it 'cause i was more on the cartoon) and then SKIIIIIIPED it until issue #66 or #67, it was the MATRIX QUEST storyline. and followed loyaly the comic until issue #80. it was a sad day to me back then.

Those comics introduced to me several characters that i couldn't really identify, 'cause the last TV episode i saw was The Rebirth part 3, and all the "NEW" stuff i knew back then were only HEADMASTERS & TARGETMASTERS, and o'course SIXSHOT. the decepticon one 'con army :o

then almost at the same time, i got a "MIRACLOUSLY" find from a frind who gifted to me an "UNKNOWN" autobot, it was QUICKSWITCH.... :o the autobots nemesis for SIXSHOT :o

Then the G2 comic books began to be published, but it featured the same TF's from ayore, and really nothing new. It was like issue #81, i was happy but at the same time annoyed, too many loose ends from TF vol.1 and too many new beginning in G2 #1. what was going on?

then the comic run ended at #12 and it passed away with no glory at all. The TF were "dead" again.

But, it came a day when after returning from college, while i was watchin a local TV channel, I spotted a TV ad in which they announced a new show "The Transformers", i thought they were re-runs, OH MY GOD!!!!! it featured ANIME and showed non other than GODMASTER Optimus Prime, and yet another to me unknown AUTOBOT, It looked like an Autobot swordsman :o:o .

YES.... it was STAR SABER! and my TF universe got a little more complicated.

I understood back then that there were two "universal" stuff happening. and then i remembered an old storyline from the original Marvel Vol.1 back then. It stablished that there "existed other dimensions" in the TF mythos. #WTF#

i believe that all the messing in TF history has had an "accidental" genesis since that time. maybe on purpose, maybe not.

If we could "tie" somehow several of those old stories, just like what i.e. LUCASFILM has done with STARWARS, then there couldn't be any "non-canon" or "canon" which has become a common theme in all TF discussions on the web.

I do have a theory in which i am based to stablish ONLY 3 Universes, but we need to let know all the publishers, all the writers what works out and what do not.

IMO, TFanimated fell in another bad mainstay continuity, since episode 1, in which RATCHET watches old recordings from the archives; and it was from G1 TV episode "WAR DAWN" #WTF#

we do not need more re-boots EVER!!!!! just give us some STRIGHTLINED continuty for once and for all, I believe that we deserve it. It has been TOOO many years of loyal following just to throw suddenly all we know to the thrash. @pow@

well their's no fixing the multiverse thing now but as long as there are no more reboots I'll be happy,and that whole ratchet watching war dawn had me go WTF too

I honestly like the "movie" look, and it looks pretty good there in those panels actually. I think Michael Bay said that he wanted the Transformers in his movie to be able to be expressive yet still have it look like it made sense. I too always had a problem with the "human" look the classic characters were always drawn or illustrated with, I mean as far as why they looked so non-robotic. But then in recent years it dawned on me: Why couldn't they just explain it away as the Transformers as having liquid metal faces? That would go a long way it explaining how they could be so expressive yet still have a humanoid-looking face.

They could tie it into their Origins of the Quintessons building them to be sold as slave labor. The liquid metal [or rubber if need be] faces were meant to make them look passive and docile. Harmless basically. If they want to keep the Decepticons looking like monsters they can say the Decpeticon discarded those faces to make them look scarier and induce fear while the Autobots kept the faces.

Problem solved. Makes sense. ties into history and both fan bases are happy.

I honestly like the "movie" look, and it looks pretty good there in those panels actually. I think Michael Bay said that he wanted the Transformers in his movie to be able to be expressive yet still have it look like it made sense. I too always had a problem with the "human" look the classic characters were always drawn or illustrated with, I mean as far as why they looked so non-robotic. But then in recent years it dawned on me: Why couldn't they just explain it away as the Transformers as having liquid metal faces? That would go a long way it explaining how they could be so expressive yet still have a humanoid-looking face.

They could tie it into their Origins of the Quintessons building them to be sold as slave labor. The liquid metal [or rubber if need be] faces were meant to make them look passive and docile. Harmless basically. If they want to keep the Decepticons looking like monsters they can say the Decpeticon discarded those faces to make them look scarier and induce fear while the Autobots kept the faces.

Problem solved. Makes sense. ties into history and both fan bases are happy.

good idea still the g1 animated faces are the best in my opinion I mean who said alien robots can't have human like features instead of something that looks like a smashed piece of sheat metal

still haven't picked this up too sick to go outside damn cold won't let me breath through my nose very well

easy pal, your health first anyway.

I hope by now that u are okay and can get outside your house, but IF NOT, then relax and keep having your lemon teas, OK? @drink@

this week issue #2 goes on sale and i will look forward to it. Hope to share some thoughts about it with u and any other friends alike.

i´ll give you a xmas present (well, sort of) hope you enjoy it. it's a part of project i'm currently working on.

enjoy and hope to share some thoughts about it from you and any other friends.

post-7426-12608981135955_thumb.jpg

post-7426-12608981862265_thumb.jpg

still haven't picked this up too sick to go outside damn cold won't let me breath through my nose very well

easy pal, your health first anyway.

I hope by now that u are okay and can get outside your house, but IF NOT, then relax and keep having your lemon teas, OK? @drink@

this week issue #2 goes on sale and i will look forward to it. Hope to share some thoughts about it with u and any other friends alike.

i´ll give you a xmas present (well, sort of) hope you enjoy it. it's a part of project i'm currently working on.

enjoy and hope to share some thoughts about it from you and any other friends.

awesome