Walmart Masterpiece Skywarp

Kill Solo

nice

I found and purchased the Masterpiece Skywarp last nite. $60 Bring on Grimlock!

Wow its been awhile since I have seen you here

Where did you find the Skywarp?

Houston Texas my good man.

Oh sweet then its headed to Florida possibly by the weekend

Cool. Guess I'm going hunting over the weekend. I saw Starscream for like the 2 seconds he was out around here.

Super-fast comparison pics (sorry for the flash - I waited to long and then gotten eaten by mosquitoes so came inside for the rest) :

cimg4467.jpg

Wal-warp has no stripes on his arms and shoulders or around the turbine boobs. Also, his sides, chest and shorts are all the same silver. Other obvious bits, yellow vs red eyes, but added detail in the inlets. And yes, Hasbro's is just the Starscream head, so no crazy grin for the optional face. Hasbro's comes with all the same accessories including an all black Dr. Arkeville.

The purples are different shades. Oddly enough, the Takara version purple is more like the Hasbro Classics Skywarp, while the Hasbro MP purple is more like the Takara Henkei Skywarp.

Of course, Hasbro's wing-stripes are painted on vs the optional stickers of Takara's. The pattern also matches the original Skywarp stripes instead of simply being purple versions of Starscream's stripes.

Lastly, Hasbro's paint is more of a flat black compared to the gloss black of Takara's.

cimg4468.jpg

cimg4469.jpg

Purple vertical stabs. Decepticon symbols on wings are upside down (or right-side up depending on your preference) i.e they are not inverted in bot mode, and are very subtle.

cimg4470.jpg

Interesting to note here that Hasbro's nose-cone is molded in purple but painted black on the outside. I wonder if they originally intended to have is be purple to match the Classics (among other) nose cone and then decided to just keep it all black?

Another random extra paint-app when compared to Takara's is the engines underneath the panels at the rear are painted to match the exhaust outlets unlike Tak's which are just left plain black.

The last comment is plastic quality is different. I won't say "cheaper" feeling, but definitely different. His legs are much more "rattl-ly" (you'll understand if you buy one), but he seems to be a quality toy and is a cheaper option than importing the Takara version.

In an ideal world, I'd have a combination of the two. I'd choose mostly Takara's MP with some of the added details of Hasbro's such as the stripes and details in the inlets.

Sooo are they making a thundercracker or did I miss him?!

I'd be willing to bet we'll see him in another couple years, but Hasbro has not announced it yet. Right now the only TC available is the Takara Masterpiece version.

Personally I'm wondering why they are charging so much for skywarp... Seems a bit pricey to me really... seems to me like its more around a $40ish toy than $50ish But $69 with the taxes hurts big time @loll@ That is like the cost of an xbox game right there @loll@

Well when I do get Skywarp I will use my origional Masterpeice Starscream as him since he is blue

Yeah I remember that idea being passed around when it first came out that is what people thought it was! I want a proper colored one though my self :D Hopefully hasbro will come through with it at some point

I look at him every time I go to work, but I would much rather have starscream, then skywarp if im gonna buy the mold.

Its weird this is like ... the first time we have gotten something at the same time the @usa@ does ! I'm not complaining I just wish they could do that more often! Soon as I saw you're post I went up to my walmart & found one! Seems like he is hitting everyplace @can@ @usa@ at the same time!

Nice pics, Dake.

I can't imagine why they thought yellow eyes were preferable to red, unless Hasbro was purposely trying to differentiate their Skywarp from Takara's. It's not a huge deal, though. I also prefer the more vibrant purple used on Takara's Skywarp. I do like what Hasbro did with the understated 'con symbols, but I think they should have been inverted to be anime accurate.

One thing Takara has all over Hasbro is that they actually know how to package and properly present a Masterpiece Transformer. Hasbro's packaging and presentation is so weak here, imo.