marvel toys

shazam

I don't know about all of you guys,but I wish they would have kept this line going. Talk about getting obscure figures and all in the 6 in. to go with ML and DCUC. Why did you stop the production of the 3rd series????

i iwsh they would have released that wave 3 they had displayed at sdcc a few years ago that line was awsome.

I'm not sure we ever got a real answer as to why MT shut down, but I would guess that losing the Marvel license was a big factor. If a comapny has one product thatsells massively then they can afford to have others not do as well. I think the Code Lacoda (sp) didn't sell well, but I'm sure Curious George did and that really the only three line MT had after LOTR died.

I was thinking that maybe part of the problem might have been like what walmart did with some of the ML toybiz figs and way over bought on a few series and none of others. My walmarts had those end cap displays cases full of the series 1 Leg. Heroes and most of them sat for almost a year later and got marked down to $5 apiece.I was hoping that comic shops could of least got the 3rd series instead of going to retail.I still haven't seen the Maxx and Kabuki figs anywhere.I keep calling all comic shops in my area ,even Minneste and Omaha and they all say they still haven't recieved theirs yet. What's up with this set????

Okay, couple things here.

1) This is the section for Marvel comic figure related talk, this thread belongs in the Independent Comic Book Character section, which is where I'll be moving it to.

2) It is a shame the third wave never got made. There were some cool figures planned.

3) The Maxx & Kabuki & all of those have absolutely nothing to do with Marvel Toys or this line. They were made (finally, after 3 years) by a completely different company called ShockerToys. There's a thread on that fiasco in the aforementioned ICBC section as well. The reason you can't find them is that Shocker barely released any, only online at that & Diamond/Previews/whoever else finally stopped listing the stuff when Shocker missed about half a dozen "guaranteed" release dates. Which of course Shocker blamed on everyone else except themselves.

Plain and simple sales sucked and I think the fact they were not reconnizable characters to most people doomed them from the start. Should never have been mass retail like WM, etc.

Draven

Yep, in a nutshell. No-one knew who the characters were. Great product--but the buying public doesn't care about great product--they are "programmed" to buy what they can associate with. These toys lacked a large enough aware audience to sustain them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think a lot of people of bought these, but they were overordered. Sales not meeting projections for dumbass Walmart doesn't mean they sucked. The truth is that oil and The American Dollar were a real problem and Marvel, evildoers that they've become, decided to close it all down. That's the word. The company shut down, LCBH was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

However I'd love to see a McFarlane Image United line someday soon. More of a direct type line. A few years ago he made figures of shortlived new characters like Disciple, Thamuz, New Spawn etc. Now, we have a real new Spawn, Haunt a new Kirkman character, Al Simmons as a bad guy and Image United as a big story w/ new status quo. If there was ever an Image line deserving to be made, that would be it.

Shocker is a total joke. I hope they don't get any more licenses. The idea behind the line is great, but they just blow. 1 series in 3 years and lotsa excuses. No signs of Wave 2. Great.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Last time I heard was Shocker Toys was planning to sue Marvel TOys/TOybiz cause they are using George@Shockers Independent Comic book characters toyline idea. Something like that. I could be wrong. THis is just something I read which is why Legendary Comic book heroes series3 was never released.

That's interesting. I know Shocker Toys was mad, but the fact is that creators went with Toy Biz and they actually got figures. I don't think a lawsuit would hold up to be honest.

As I said before, part of the problem was that Toy Biz planned on or needed for LCBH to pick up right where Marvel Legends left off and that couldn't happen. I love Image and think they have a strong fololowing, but our culture is very superficial. If it's not a movie or cartoon or on a t-shirt (most of which is stupid) then people overlook it b/c they are dumb. The truth hurts, there are good things out there if you look.

I really wanted Aphrodite IX, Grendel and Vanguard. Would've loved more Cyberforce and for Diehard and Badrock to finally get made. It'd be cool if they still held the license and did some type of 'creator-choice' exclusive line.

• 7 months later...

i was sad to see this line o.

Series 2 never hit ANY store in my area, but I was really hoping to get a few Frost Giants.

Vanguard and Aphrodite would have been great additions.

One would have have hoped to see Ash, Wild CATS, Badrock, X-O, Union, and many other fun characters available.

I love Marvel & DC, but they are not the only game in town.

McFarlane needs to translate what they are doing right in the Halo series, into 6 inch form. Man a fully poseable Spawn & Overtkill would be AWESOME!!!

• 11 months later...

I was really disappointed when Toybiz lost the Marvel license and Hasbro took over. There was a huge drop in quality when Hasbro took over. Relief came when Toybiz started the Legendary Comic Book Heroes. I thought the LCBH figures were way better than the Hasbro Marvel figures. I'm a big Marvel fan, but I would rather have the lesser known Legendary Heroes figures. Just a better made figure from ToyBiz. Sorry the line didn't survive. Think it was more of a character popularity thing than quality of figure issue. Sad893Grumpy-thumb.gif893Grumpy-thumb.gif

Damn straight. Especially the Kitchen. I just wish I had the Backstage set as well.

I happened upon the Backstage in a Suncoast once. The box was all dented and banged up, but my heart caught in my throat when I saw it. I literally looked around to see if anybody was watching me, as if I had just discovered a briefcase full of drug money or something. Best $50 I ever spent.

Damn straight. Especially the Kitchen. I just wish I had the Backstage set as well.

I happened upon the Backstage in a Suncoast once. The box was all dented and banged up, but my heart caught in my throat when I saw it. I literally looked around to see if anybody was watching me, as if I had just discovered a briefcase full of drug money or something. Best $50 I ever spent.

Too funny. Did you knock down an old lady to get to the register?893bud-thumb.gif

• 1 month later...

The main fig from Legendary figures I was waiting in getting back then was Diehard. I was so pissed when the line was cancelled and I didn't get this figure. I wound up getting Super Patriot, Ripclaw, and Star.