frustrated collector

shazam

what I don't like are the one who have people on the inside of the stores for them so the get them first

How do you know things like that even happen? sigh I really wish people would make their posts a little easier to read if they want people to reply to it. What are you talking about exactly, someone who pays a worker a few bucks to let them have first dibs at merchandise? I doubt sh!t like that happens as much as some people might like to make you think that it does.

well I know for a fact out here it does and does more places than you think.

Hey hell I'll admit i'm one

I work at Target and have done it

But not recently it seems I'm broke most of the time nowadays

But shazam is right there are collectors that work in retail

Was this the giant man wave arrow?

Yes it was.

Just keep hunting but don't obsess over it to the point where you are stressed about it.

Simplest way to put my own long-winded message.

If its not fun, why do it, right? And there's no reason it cannot be fun.

Am I one of the few who don't see a problem with this post? If I got this correctly, he is basically dissing scalpers who jack up prices on items. I agree with him, even when Wave 9 was hot and I didn't know my sets were cancelled I came across a few and left them there. I could of bought them and sold them online at an inflated price, especially that last quick boom when and after everyone found out wave 9 was cancelled. I left Wave 5 figures on the shelf also.

Buyer/sellers, especially store raiders are a serious problem in the toy world and they suck big time.

I don't see nothing the matter with his post

One thing good about collecters working in retail besides us getting to the item first is that we usaully will if at all possible stop the scalpers from hoarding things at that particular store

I'll admit we don't know all the scalpers or are there all the time but we do know a few and the people who got us the first time ...we tend to get back the next time

The scalper will ask if we have a particular thing in stock we act like were going to look

We then go to the back putz around and come out and say "No it is out"

I love it becuase you know there scalpers(especially the ones you don't know) when they ask for a case or they offer you money to make sure a case will go to them only

Just keep hunting but don't obsess over it to the point where you are stressed about it.

Simplest way to put my own long-winded message.

If its not fun, why do it, right? And there's no reason it cannot be fun.

I am a collector and reseller. I hate hunting, and I get paid to do it as a truck driver. I really just wish that what you want is there for you to buy while you are there, but it isn't.

It forces people like me to buy stuff I do not like to generate more money to afford or have to trade for other "rare" stuff.

I'll be the first to admit my flaws. I am not patient. I grew up in the '80's, when you could go to Bradlees, Caldor, Toys R Us, Child World, etc.. and get whatever GIJoe, Transformer, Star Wars item you wanted because they each had 1/2 an aisle devoted to them, not 2 or 3 pegs like now.

I used to work at TRU, when I only collected Transformers and MOTU. My friend who got me the job and myself would buy new MOTU before the floor.

That was Mattels fault of a 4 or 5 He Man, 1x hero Ym, and/or 1x hero Z case pack. Is that wrong? (I expect a reply) but at the same time mocked Marvel Legends. Hell a Toad was kicking around for 3 months (literally all over the store), until I bought it because someone asked me to.

ive said it in the past...if you cant be at the stores when they open or at night when the pallets come out...because of work, family or any other reason....then those cicumstances are what are stopping you from getting the figures. Other customers, scalpers, stores dont have the resposability to leave figures on the peg till you get urs first.

First come first served....thats the policy.....the only thing i do agree about is when store workers hold it in the back and they figures dont make it to the floor...but once they make it to the floor its fair game.

Those are all valid points and I understand the Wave 5 situation but come on, the guy can't stake his claim and it be equally if not more legitimate, all he wants to do, like all of us is to go to the store and buy some figures. The problem usually is not in competition from regular collectors but from those who would profit. Look, there were people who gave his comment, thumbs down and he didn't even offend or call out anyone on the forums.

Personally, I don't shop at the stores unless its an exclusive, not interested in the game. Its not 1984-89 when you could go through multiple stores aisles and find figures, the stock is very limited and availability is very small, especially for these. The sad problem is that there is enough made for all of us to have multiple sets but again those who would profit go far and beyond to score these and resell at crazy prices, not even half decent ones, but 200 percent markups????

Thanks you understand what I was getting at. I can't speak to your areas,but in Iowa I dive all over the state and call like crazy and get told some guy came in and bought them all. All I am saying is PLEASE there are other people who might want some don't buy them all. Not even getting the kids a chance to get any,is that fair???

I once was helping this kid look for Hot Wheels

I was putting out two cases I happened to look up seeing the Hot Wheels guys and grabbed the cases and ran to the back

I told the kid I will be right back but don't let them guys know I have the cases

I then pulled them back out afte the HW guys left

Hell I wnted the kid to get something I didn't care about the guys I figured hell they will be back tommorrow.But the kid gets one chance at these

Well, I know for a fact that my local TRU has a guy who works there and he hooks up a couple of people. Even one of the managers told me that when he came in, in the morning that there were figures behind the counter at customer service. The guy put them there overnight for someone, this is pretty frequent in my area, sure its not the same everywhere but it is rampant in my area, also a Walmart in the NE is like that too.

To keep the discussion going:

What is wrong with that? What is wrong with someone at the store putting stuff aside for a customer, regardless of who the customer is?

Its a sure sale for the store, and its setting up a dedicate patronage with the customer00assuring more sales. That's a goal in retail, right?

I've had these kinds of arrangements with retailers before myself--though I've never had to bribe anyone to get such privileges. Its a basic reward for steady patronage, and its nice when its offered.

Is the problem an issue of fairness?

If so, that's BS. I say that because its never an issue of fair access with ANY OTHER PRODUCT--but the rules seem tochange when it comes to toys. Ever read about someone on-line bitching about someone else grabbing that last can of spaghetti on the shelf? Or the last DVD? Or the last TV set or refrigerator?

Of course not, it'd be a stupid immature complaint.

Its first come, first served, which is about as fair as retail gets........and if someone makes a deal to have exclusive patronage for a product over someone else.......well, they just set up the deal to be "fairer".

After all, the only gripe is that someone else was savvy enough to get to the stuff first, something that anyone else could do, if they were equally savvy.

This is where I think a lot of people get caught up in a endless thought-loop, that says that toys should be accessible to everyone, that you should be able to just walk right in and buy what you like, that scalpers are bad, and that toys should be for children, and that its should be more fair etc etc etc. I think that is people just coming up with resentful excuses to try and hide their own selfishness.

Collecting is a selfish act, as ANY kind of consumption is. But that's okay because there's nothing wrong with being a consumer and nothing wrong with getting what you want, by any legal way you can.

Really??? Do you hog them all up or do you leave any for anybody else??? Because it is important to get kids interested in these characters or the market will end up dying.

• Like 1

Really??? Do you hog them all up or do you leave any for anybody else??? Because it is important to get kids interested in these characters or the market will end up dying.

What do you think, smart guy??

Read my posts in this thread and then answer that question for yourself.

As for "the children" give me a flipping break. Do you REALLY consume goods thinking about the welfare of others? That is so much BS its not funny. Its like chowing down on your pizza and thinking about all them starving kids in Ethiopia--do you really do that???

Do you go into a store to by toys for yourself, thinking "gosh, I hope kids get into this toy-line too"? C'mon answer that question honestly, if you have the balls to.

What did you think the last time you bought a toy?

You patted yourself on the back that you got it, right? Got it before the other guy did.

I'd bet that EVERY SINGLE PERSON posting in these forums doesn't give a hang about " someone else should get the stuff" before their own consumption. The human psyche just doesn't work that way.

Fill your needs FIRST, and THEN look out for others.

That is what I do. If its the last one left, I'll damn well buy it. You would too--and I'll bet you have plenty of times.

Some people think the rules change when it comes to toys--and they think that because its their OWN selfish interests talking.

All that crap about "its for the children" is a feeble excuse-- an attempt to hide that.

For the children, my ass.

• Like 1

I once was helping this kid look for Hot Wheels

I was putting out two cases I happened to look up seeing the Hot Wheels guys and grabbed the cases and ran to the back

I told the kid I will be right back but don't let them guys know I have the cases

I then pulled them back out afte the HW guys left

Hell I wnted the kid to get something I didn't care about the guys I figured hell they will be back tommorrow.But the kid gets one chance at these

That is the right thing to do. A guy can collect , but we need to help kids with toys and keep them interested so they will keep making them by the time these kids grow up.

If you want an example that illustrates my point, note the quote from the OP below:

I can't speak to your areas,but in Iowa I dive all over the state and call like crazy and get told some guy came in and bought them all. All I am saying is PLEASE there are other people who might want some don't buy them all. Not even getting the kids a chance to get any,is that fair???

Note the emboldened and italicized text.

Note that the thoughts for HIMSELF are stated before the thoughts expressed for others.

This is how most people think in the world, everyone here included.

There's nothing wrong with this, its completely normal, and for the most part is healthy. We all consume for ourselves first, and THEN we think about others.

Anyone who thinks that is unfair, is denying their own nature.

• Like 1

As for "the children" give me a flipping break. Do you REALLY consume goods thinking about the welfare of others? That is so much BS its not funny. Its like chowing down on your pizza and thinking about all them starving kids in Ethiopia--do you really do that???

Do you go into a store to by toys for yourself, thinking "gosh, I hope kids get into this toy-line too"? C'mon answer that question honestly, if you have the balls to.

You patted yourself on the back that you got it, right? Got it before the other guy did.

I'd bet that EVERY SINGLE PERSON posting in these forums doesn't give a hang about " someone else should get the stuff" before their own consumption. The human psyche just doesn't work that way.

That is what I do. If its the last one left, I'll damn well buy it. You would too--and I'll bet you have plenty of times.

Some people think the rules change when it comes to toys--and they think that because its their OWN selfish interests talking.

All that crap about "its for the children" is a feeble excuse-- an attempt to hide that.

Let ma ask you this then , do you buy stuff thinking they are only made for you???

If you want an example that illustrates my point, note the quote from the OP below:

I can't speak to your areas,but in Iowa I dive all over the state and call like crazy and get told some guy came in and bought them all. All I am saying is PLEASE there are other people who might want some don't buy them all. Not even getting the kids a chance to get any,is that fair???

Note that the thoughts for HIMSELF are stated before the thoughts expressed for others.

There's nothing wrong with this, its completely normal, and for the most part is healthy. We all consume for ourselves first, and THEN we think about others.

What the blank are you smoking?????

• Like 1

When I got to look for what I need I rarely see any kids around

But if they are there I will not push them away I bite my tonque and wait hoping they wou'nt take the figure I want

Cool and wether they do or not explain to them who the characters are get them interested to help insure future toys for all us collectors. See my point?? anybody??

Hey, I make no apologies about being frank and honest in my opinions here.

Read what I have written with an open mind, and you might......MIGHT just discover something. If you cannot handle candor, tough beans for you.

I don't expect you to buy into what I've been writing about--your joy or misery in the hobby isn't my concern--its entirely yours.

If you are not having fun, not enjoying things, or think things are unfair, ask yourself why that is. If what you are doing isn't getting the results you want.........why the hell are you doing the same thing over and over again?

I do NOT empathize with you or your "stated plight", because you have the power to change it if you really want to.

If you think I'm this... callous hording monster, think again. I buy one of each item that I seek. If I want more than one I get more than one.

I collect for myself, I don't resell for profit.

I think that enjoyment is the right of every collector, but I have no illusions about why I collect.

If you are miserable, so be it--I've posted heartfelt advise on how to go the other way here in these forums many times.

If you choose to gripe and moan because you think its all unfair........and you do not want to change--hey, fill your boots. Some people's hobby is nothing but complaining.

You are free to decide your own path.

• Like 1

Do you have kids??? I do and I know how important it is to teach them fairplay and if I didn't practice it myself I would be a biggot and guess what bud I am not I do think of other collectors when my fingers are grasping at more than one of the same and then I leave one behind for the next guy......I only buy one of each

Hey, I make no apologies about being frank and honest in my opinions here.

Read what I have written with an open mind, and you might......MIGHT just discover something. If you cannot handle candor, tough beans for you.

I don't expect you to buy into what I've been writing about--your joy or misery in the hobby isn't my concern--its entirely yours.

If you are not having fun, not enjoying things, or think things are unfair, ask yourself why that is. If what you are doing isn't getting the results you want.........why the hell are you doing the same thing over and over again?

I do NOT empathize with you or your "stated plight", because you have the power to change it if you really want to.

If you think I'm this... callous hording monster, think again. I buy one of each item that I seek. If I want more than one I get more than one.

I collect for myself, I don't resell for profit.

I think that enjoyment is the right of every collector, but I have no illusions about why I collect.

If you are miserable, so be it--I've posted heartfelt advise on how to go the other way here in these forums many times.

If you choose to gripe and moan because you think its all unfair........and you do not want to change--hey, fill your boots. Some people's hobby is nothing but complaining.

You are free to decide your own path.

Hey I not trying to piss anybody off these discussions are fun I finally have people like me to talk to...It's great thanks guys...

But if they are there I will not push them away I bite my tonque and wait hoping they wou'nt take the figure I want

Cool and wether they do or not explain to them who the characters are get them interested to help insure future toys for all us collectors. See my point?? anybody??

Ooooooooooh, so get the kiddies hooked on the product to feed OUR wants?

What part of that is not the same kind of selfish consumer agenda I've talked about?

All of the thinking points back to the self. Haven't heard you......(or anyone else ever on this spin) mention making toys that kids alone would be interested in--it always got OUR (or your) interests worked in there somehow.

That is why the whole "for the children" crap does not hold water-its always got this piggy-backed condition attached to it that WE get something out of it.

Frankly, I do not give a damn if kids buy into the toy-lines I collect. There's a reason I don't collect Fisher-Price.

What part of that is not the same kind of selfish consumer agenda I've talked about?

All of the thinking points back to the self. Haven't heard you......(or anyone else ever on this spin) mention making toys that kids alone would be interested in--it always got OUR (or your) interests worked in there somehow.

That is why the whole "for the children" crap does not hold water-its always got this piggy-backed condition attached to it that WE get something out of it.

Frankly, I do not give a damn if kids buy into the toy-lines I collect. There's a reason I don't collect Fisher-Price.

Well apparently marvel gets it because who do you think the super hero squad is aimed at ? us ? I don't think so,it's marvel way of getting a new generation interested in their characters.And why would that be? oooooooh maybe to insure future product for us consumers.

Do you have kids???

I do and I know how important it is to teach them fairplay and if I didn't practice it myself I would be a biggot and guess what bud I am not I do think of other collectors when my fingers are grasping at more than one of the same and then I leave one behind for the next guy......I only buy one of each.

What about having kids is relevant to this topic? Your original post mentioned NOTHING about children, it mentioned your own frustrations with your own consumption.

I have three step-children.

When their interests coincide with mine, I do indeed share. When they do not......they do not enter into the equation. Why should they, when their needs and wants have been met? Most of the stuff I collect, they are not interested in anyways.

• Like 1

Do you have kids???

I do and I know how important it is to teach them fairplay and if I didn't practice it myself I would be a biggot and guess what bud I am not I do think of other collectors when my fingers are grasping at more than one of the same and then I leave one behind for the next guy......I only buy one of each.

What about having kids is relevant to this topic? Your original post mentioned NOTHING about children, it mentioned your own frustrations with your own consumption.

I have three step-children.

When their interests coincide with mine, I do indeed share. When they do not......they do not enter into the equation. Why should they, when their needs and wants have been met? Most of the stuff I collect, they are not interested in anyways.

And why aren't they interested? Because you don't tell them about the characters? I battled with my son for years with his dragonball vs. my marvel or d.c. characters who's tuffer and so forth. It finally got him interested in them and now he gets it.

Well apparently marvel gets it because who do you think the super hero squad is aimed at ? us ? I don't think so,it's marvel way of getting a new generation interested in their characters.And why would that be? oooooooh maybe to insure future product for us consumers.

Heh.

Do you buy Superhero Squad?

No?

I sure as hell don't!

If neither of us buy it, why should we give a rat's ass about that toyline?

Are you saying I should buy it, just so that little kids will be happy? :huh:

Superhero Squad's success will ensure more product like that--it will NOT ensure more product like what I choose to collect.

Its like saying we should all care about Barbie because it'll please a lot of little girls. A show of hands please--how many here are collecting Barbie???

<crickets chirping>

I have to ask: do you even understand what you are discussing??

• Like 1

And why aren't they interested? Because you don't tell them about the characters? I battled with my son for years with his dragonball vs. my marvel or d.c. characters who's tuffer and so forth. It finally got him interested in them and now he gets it.

This goes round and round in your head, doesn't it?

How about this: They have their own personalities and their own interests in life.

They like Pokemon, Star Wars and anime. I like Star Trek, superheroes and GIJOE. Why should I steer them into something I like when they are completely free to choose what they like?? I'm raising self-confident individuals able to navigate through the world on their own.....not mirror-images of my own self.

Where they do cross-over in their interests, we share. Where they do not, we don't have to, and I do not force them. Sublime in its simplicity, isn't it?

Heh.

Do you buy Superhero Squad?

No?

I sure as hell don't!

If neither of us buy it, why should we give a rat's ass about that toyline?

Are you saying I should buy it, just so that little kids will be happy? :huh:

Superhero Squad's success will ensure more product like that--it will NOT ensure more product like what I choose to collect.

Its like saying we should all care about Barbie because it'll please a lot of little girls. A show of hands please--how many here are collecting Barbie???

<crickets chirping>

I have to ask: do you even understand what you are discussing??

Apparently you don't have a clue what I am talking about. It's not just the toy line or cartoon, or buying the stupid things it is about them getting kids interested in their characters enough to buy them or watch them on tv To get a new younger market interested in what they have for the future.Who or what got you interested in the characters? It had to be a toy,comic or cartoon. And yes getting kids interested in the stupid toy line will ensure future collectors markets or don't you see the whole picture? Or are you only wrapped up in your own selfishness?