frustrated collector

shazam

Well I am sorry about venting on something that has been discussed already,but I just joined yesterday so no I haven't seen the other posts on the bantering I did. I am a true collector that opens my figures and puts them on shelves for my self to enjoy. I started collecting 1984 with the super powers collection. I don't do it to sell them and make money and I sure wouldn't buy one for $12.76 and try to sell it for $50 or $100. Sorry,but if your'e the guy spending this much online your'e only hurting everyone elses pocketbooks by doing so instead of driving a little ways to a Walmart to buy them. This has progressivley gotten worse int the last few years. It only take a few minutes to to go online to do store locator searches for phone #'s to make calls to see if they have them in stock or not. I know because living in Iowa I call all over the state to find what I am looking for.You will find they are pretty helpful if you tell them you live more then an hour away. The most I ever spent on one figure was $30 and that included shipping at Krypton Comics in Omaha because it was one I could not find anywhere. Be a little more patient instead of buying online and you may just find them in a store and actually no the thrill of being a collector.

• Like 2

:rolleyes:

I guess Im not a "true" collector, oh well.

Yea, its really funny when someone says that others have to be one way or the other to be "legitimate"--and they are REALLY saying that everyone has to be just like them.

Don't get me wrong I am all for buying things in store vs online.

HOWEVER, I don't have the time or energy or gas to track down everything I need. Calling can be hit or miss as I have called stores and they say they have something and they don't. I have called stores as well and they say they don't (when they just never checked) so that's out. I do still check whenever I am out which is how I was lucky enough to find 3 of Wave 10 BUT just the same I have been to various Walmarts over 11 times in the last eight days or so alone and that's all I have seen.

I work in retail with a 40 - 48 hour schedule that varys week to week (days, nights, midnights) so I don't really want to spend all my time going to stores and still not finding what I want/need. Often times it is actually cheaper then hitting up stores every day. At a certain point it's just not worth it.

Having said all this I hit no less then 2 TRU's 1 Wal-Mart, and 3 Targets each week (just out of habit) and STILL haven't seen ANY of the Wave 9 figs. Only 2 Wave 8's.

We aren't talking the same stores either I cover about a 20-80 mile radius (between work, home, and friends I visit) and this is all I have come up with. If being a real collector means I can't buy online after looking like crazy then meh guess I don't qualify.

That may work for you in Iowa, but here in Connecticut, it is a different world.

Population concentration and stores lower stock make it very hard. I drive 200 miles a day, and hit every TRU, Walmart, & Target I can, when I have available funds. My wife has been out of work since last October, and I am paying ALL the bills. My truck is steadily failing. Even with doing collectible & comic shows, and trading, I still struggle to keep up.

So if trying to keep "real life" up while collecting isn't good enough for your ideals, thats too bad.

Don't get me wrong I am all for buying things in store vs online.

HOWEVER, I don't have the time or energy or gas to track down everything I need. Calling can be hit or miss as I have called stores and they say they have something and they don't. I have called stores as well and they say they don't (when they just never checked) so that's out. I do still check whenever I am out which is how I was lucky enough to find 3 of Wave 10 BUT just the same I have been to various Walmarts over 11 times in the last eight days or so alone and that's all I have seen.

I work in retail with a 40 - 48 hour schedule that varys week to week (days, nights, midnights) so I don't really want to spend all my time going to stores and still not finding what I want/need. Often times it is actually cheaper then hitting up stores every day. At a certain point it's just not worth it.

Having said all this I hit no less then 2 TRU's 1 Wal-Mart, and 3 Targets each week (just out of habit) and STILL haven't seen ANY of the Wave 9 figs. Only 2 Wave 8's.

We aren't talking the same stores either I cover about a 20-80 mile radius (between work, home, and friends I visit) and this is all I have come up with. If being a real collector means I can't buy online after looking like crazy then meh guess I don't qualify.

No-one with any sense in their head will criticize someone for HOW they go about collecting. Your reasons are your own, and we are all entitled to that.

Its when people start trying to legitimize or validate their collecting habits against others by declaring themselves "true" collectors or "real" fans, that they go off the rails into absurdity.

you guys are misunderstanding my point of a true collector vs. people who take advantage of us who buy to keep them for ourselves,one of the reasons why in my radius of stores they are impossible to get unless you happen to be there at the right time.For me to go to a toysrus it is a 200 mile round trip and my walmarts are 40 to 100 miles one way. I don't mind the guy who wants to make a few extra dollars for time and effort picking them up to sell them,but what I don't like are the one who have people on the inside of the stores for them so the get them first and try to sell them for $50 or more apiece. One webstore I looked at wanted $75 - $99 apiece for wave 10 figures.These are the people who make me angry not you guys replying to my banters.I am not saying I am a different breed of collector than you ,but that we collectors need to think of ways to stop the scalpers.

I would just like to ask just how long you have been collecting for & also how old are you?... Not trying to insult you or you're age or anything like that it is simply something I am wondering :) Also I notice you only have 4 posts! So I say to you welcome to the forums! Don't let other peoples views on you're opinions scare ya way, everyone has a different view just like you're self! People generally don't like it thought when you try to force you're views on them though. I will say though I give you credit for at least not calling the scalpers fat & not spazzing at others here posts @loll@

are these web stores in ur area? ur state? if nto then it shoudlnt matter cuz whether they buy them or not you wouldnot be ale to get them anyways.

ive been collecting now for 15 or so years, you learn how to collect to make it easier....there are tricks to every store and how to get and know what they are gettign and when. lern them and ull be fine.

what I don't like are the one who have people on the inside of the stores for them so the get them first

How do you know things like that even happen? sigh I really wish people would make their posts a little easier to read if they want people to reply to it. What are you talking about exactly, someone who pays a worker a few bucks to let them have first dibs at merchandise? I doubt sh!t like that happens as much as some people might like to make you think that it does.

I would just like to ask just how long you have been collecting for & also how old are you?... Not trying to insult you or you're age or anything like that it is simply something I am wondering :) Also I notice you only have 4 posts! So I say to you welcome to the forums! Don't let other peoples views on you're opinions scare ya way, everyone has a different view just like you're self! People generally don't like it thought when you try to force you're views on them though. I will say though I give you credit for at least not calling the scalpers fat & not spazzing at others here posts @loll@

I am 45 years old and have been collecting since high school , so I guess I have been doing this for 30 years in Iowa,California,Phoenix and Illinois so I know stuff gets to the midwest last. I can say that I found a complete set of marvel legends apocalypse series at a small walmart in iowa falls 2 months before there release. I found them the first week of december and they didn,t start showing up on ebay 'til end of january. Only time we got something before everyone else. and thanks,have any of you guys ever found the fantastic four classics dragonman?I waited and searched and 1 year after it came out I got lucky and found one. One of the most impressive figures made.

what I don't like are the one who have people on the inside of the stores for them so the get them first

How do you know things like that even happen? sigh I really wish people would make their posts a little easier to read if they want people to reply to it. What are you talking about exactly, someone who pays a worker a few bucks to let them have first dibs at merchandise? I doubt sh!t like that happens as much as some people might like to make you think that it does.

well I know for a fact out here it does and does more places than you think.

I am 45 years old and have been collecting since high school , so I guess I have been doing this for 30 years in Iowa,California,Phoenix and Illinois so I know stuff gets to the midwest last. I can say that I found a complete set of marvel legends apocalypse series at a small walmart in iowa falls 2 months before there release. I found them the first week of december and they didn,t start showing up on ebay 'til end of january. Only time we got something before everyone else. and thanks,have any of you guys ever found the fantastic four classics dragonman?I waited and searched and 1 year after it came out I got lucky and found one. One of the most impressive figures made.

Ok I must say that surprises me this type of thought generally comes from people new to the hobby that have only been at it for a year or so @loll@

at one point i had liek 5 dragon mans, reason it took so long was cuz that lined got canceld and rite aid bought the over stock of series 2 thts where i got all those figures from.

at one point i had liek 5 dragon mans, reason it took so long was cuz that lined got canceld and rite aid bought the over stock of series 2 thts where i got all those figures from.

heheh, oh yeah rite aid was cool! i found the doombots there too, man the good ole days!!

I am not saying I am a different breed of collector than you ,but that we collectors need to think of ways to stop the scalpers.

This has been discussed on forums like this for years....and it seems like this is going to be the latest go-around.

Bottom-line: you cannot stop the scalpers.

Anyone that has it in their head to be the "early bird that gets the worm" is going to do it anyways, and you cannot stop them.

BUT you can circumvent them.

If you rely upon foot-searches for collectibles, then you have to find a way to get to the stock before the scalpers do, or think smarter than them. Since the scalpers are going get up earlier, and bribe stock-people at stores, you either have to get up earlier than them and bribe the stockers with more $$ before the scalpers do.

Not exactly appealing is it?

The alternative is to find a way to secure the goods before the scalpers do, without expending all that energy and without bribing someone.

Two ways to do that:

Make friends with a retailer who sells the same goods, and who can set aside the items for you upon request.

This takes time, charm, and a genuine fellowship for people to do properly. You have to be a willing and personable patron to build the relationship, and it also depends upon the retailer. If they are a jerk-----well, it makes no sense befriending someone you won't like in the first place.

If you can form the bond, the arrangement is, for all intents, permanent....and very powerful.

Think about it, if you have a buddy in a store looking out for your interests, you will get first dibs on stuff before ANYONE, and probably even for retail or a discount! Scalpers cannot beat that.

The second way is to just ignore your local scene altogether.

Makes friends with fellow collectors in other cities, shop on-line or use your travels afar to hunt for stuff.

Scalper only have a limited reach. They depend upon soaking up the local supply of something so they have a monopoly.

But they are short-sighted in thinking that, because the marketplace today is global, not local, or even regional--and you have access to that larger market at anytime.

Scalpers depend upon people being ignorant, lazy, or just plain too timid to shop on-line, to fill up their roster of marks and suckers--that is how they flourish.

The key, therefore, to "beating" them, is to simply never shop for collectibles in the areas they traffic in.

Think about it, if you have a buddy in a store looking out for your interests, you will get first dibs on stuff before ANYONE, and probably even for retail or a discount! Scalpers cannot beat that.

What if said scalper (or several) have already done this? Eh? Eh?

What if said scalper (or several) have already done this? Eh? Eh?

Then go to another store!

Look, if you want to make it harder for yourself........feel free.

Only the helpless think things are hopeless.