JLA comic: Mark Bagley

yojoebro82

I never understood why this guy was not a bigger name.

Mark Bagley has been turning out good, consistant work for the industry for years. When I first branched out to other comics besides GI Joe in the early 90s, his Amazing Spider-Man was some of the work that really cought my eye. If you're a comic fan, you'll do well to have him penciling your favorite book. If you're a fan of a book that he's penciled, you know that this guy does the work. By that I mean that your book's not going to be late because you're waiting on him to finish the pencils. He does quality, MONTHLY work. Almost as if it was his JOB to draw comics! A lot of artist today just can't do that.

Heck, one of the reasons why I quit reading Wizard was because they barely branched out and covered or praised anyting outside of their little bubble of favorite talent. You'd get a "What's-Brian-Michael-Bendis-up-to-this-month?" article every issue but the guy who was penciling his book, Bagley, who did every issue with NO guest artists, would barely get a footnote.

Now he's at DC and doing the same great work. I enjoyed his three issues of Batman that he just finished up. Now he's on JLA and his first ish. came out this past week with more great pencils. Can't wait to see him take on a whole new universe of characters! (The story itself was kinda slow going, with VIxen and a couple other C-listers moping around their old cave HQ before an attack by Despero. But it seems they'll be head to head with a Black Lantern Dorctor Light next ish. so I'll keep my hopes up.)

So yeah, that ends my Mark Bagley love letter. Thank you!

• Like 1

him and ron lim were work horses for marvel in the 90s...bagley always reminds me of spiderman, hes gone off a few times to do other thigns but always comes back to old faithful.

I'm a fan from ultimates, got a bunch of his autographs on stuff too attempted to get a sketch the one time he was at eccc but was too late @grumpy@ Honestly what you said for MB is really true about most artists really ... tons & tons of great talent out there that only really get to see the light of day when they get stuck on whatever the hot new series is

He was one of 3 reasons why I quit comics in the 90's

#1 Marvel screwing up the X-universe. killing all of the historic villains to replace with "the Upstarts"? Good choice. Where are they now?

#2 Larsons art. Too crazy, but I'll admit Savage Dragon has been flowing consistently.

#3 Bagley. The nail in the coffin after Larson quit ASM.

I read that JLA. What you said was right on.

#1 Marvel screwing up the X-universe. killing all of the historic villains to replace with "the Upstarts"? Good choice. Where are they now?

#2 Larsons art. Too crazy, but I'll admit Savage Dragon has been flowing consistently.

So you mean you quit BECAUSE Bagley took over after Larsen? Personally I think Bags is better by leaps and bounds but I WAS a Larsen fan in the early 90s too (because I was 13 and because all the women he drew had their nipples poking through their costumes).

As for the X-Men villians, the Upstarts are history, the classic villians are back, but the X-Men Universe? Still screwed up.

So you mean you quit BECAUSE Bagley took over after Larsen? Personally I think Bags is better by leaps and bounds but I WAS a Larsen fan in the early 90s too (because I was 13 and because all the women he drew had their nipples poking through their costumes).

As for the X-Men villians, the Upstarts are history, the classic villians are back, but the X-Men Universe? Still screwed up.

Not exactly, but the stories he drew sucked writingwise.