Blackest Night series 1

Opticon

i dont buy these. i missed to much in the past of the green lanterns from dcd. i stick to dcuc and i hope they bring out more. the color of fear is a good start for it. i also dislike dcd because in the past i had a lot of trouble making them stand without a base under it. i also think that they have weird positions. still they always look amazing. maybe if i see them in person, i will be converted@loll@

paint jobs million times better

These figures represent what DC Direct SHOULD be excelling at...tying in with a current storyline and producing characters that are new or obscure.

DC Direct has direct ties to DC editorial and should be making figures that support current books. If the figures come out when a storyline is hitting the shelves, the consumer will appreciate and want the figures more. This is similar to the idea of toy lines that represent movies coming out when the movies are out...it only makes sense!

DC editorial KNOWS in advance (by at least 5 months) what the upcoming stories will be and which characters will be important to a storyline. Considering that most comic books tell 5-6 part storylines at a a minimum, that gives DC Direct a solid 10 month lead on which figures they should be making. When you consider that a books like Blackest Night is an 8-parter, with time off between issues (built in to the schedule), it's a natural for DC Direct to be making these figures. I am glad they are making this line and I wish them oodles of success with the figures.

The character choice is brilliant too! This line featues a nice mix of new characters, introduced for this story (Saint Walker, Atrocitus, Indigo) and older, more obscure characters that have never been made and don't necessarily fit into other toy lines (Arisia), PLUS it features variations of "big name" characters (like Superman, Aquaman and Wonder Woman). It also has a nice mix of heroes and villains (Kryb).

If the line is successful and continues, I'd love to see a Mera figure (she's primed to kick some butt in this series) and maybe a Black Lantern Elongated Man and Sue (creepy) or BL Hawkman/Hawkgirl and a Red Lantern Guy Gardner. If DC Direct did a Collect and Connect figure, I'd love to see Nekron, but I doubt that'll happen (it would be an awesome way for them to kick off a C&C line).

does hal jordan get to be a red/yellow/blue/ and orange gl in the blackest night comic? or is this just a special edition dcd thing?

He definitely goes blue and red, and I think the orange tries to take him....don't remember any instances where he went yellow, but I could've missed it. These are all in the preliminary books though, from the last 6 months or so...the storyline leading up to Blackest Night.

These figures represent what DC Direct SHOULD be excelling at...tying in with a current storyline and producing characters that are new or obscure.

DC Direct has direct ties to DC editorial and should be making figures that support current books. If the figures come out when a storyline is hitting the shelves, the consumer will appreciate and want the figures more. This is similar to the idea of toy lines that represent movies coming out when the movies are out...it only makes sense!

I agree with all that. And they have tied in a line or two to existing storylines in the past but this is by far the most well exicuted attempt! I'm considering buying every wave.

Hal Jordan has been both blue and red and he was orange for like 2 seconds. He was able to wield yellow rings due to his connection to Parallax but he didn't wore a yellow uniform; he also had a half blue half green uniform due to wielding both rings at the same time. I got these last week imagine my surprise when the store in which I preordered them told me they also had wave 2. The articulation is lacking but I kind of expected that these being DCD and all but the paint app is awesome especially on John Stewart he looks much better than the upcoming DCUC IMO. I took pics of both waves side by side but unfortunately when I tried to insert the memory disk in the computer it got stuck and haven't been able to get it or the pictures out. :(

well they have 5 diff color hals already so unless its somethign new i doubt hal

I would like to see hal dcd with the green & blue ring :) Honestly I'm surprised they did not do that one for an exclusive! If we don't see it as one this year you can almost bet they are saving it for a con exclusive of some kind... Hal was mega powerful when he had on the green & blue ring :D

they would have already made him bynow...if anythign a hal with all the rings on lol

JJ you don't think they are going to do a blue/green hal?you don't think they are just saving him for a con exclusive?..

perhaps

spoiler

parlex hal?..

i dotn think so cuz by next year everyone will forgoten this story and on to a new one.

parallax maybe...jim lee just did a variant cover with him on it didnt he?

Hal could have easily been the Superman and Batman of this line having a figure in each wave, the fact that they gave us new characters instead is another reason this line rocks. If they sneak him into wave five though, no problem.

How about a Paralix Kyle Raynor, Scar, or Barry Flash for wave 5? That elephant Blue Lantern? Black Lantern Batman???

The only DC Direct figures I buy are the Lantern-related ones, so I'm very excited about this line. I'll get everybody announced so far except maybe Wonder Woman. I can't wait for wave 3, so I can recreate the Blackest Night issue 6 cover!

I think sometimes DCD has better sculpts(Sinestro, Crisis on Infinite Earths Brainiac, History of the DCU Brainiac), but a lot of the time Mattel's are superior...Deathstroke, Etrigan, Riddler, Steel, Man-Bat, Cassandra Cain Batgirl, both the DCSH and wave 12 Darkseids, Black Lightning, red-and-black Robin, and so on. Every figure from DCU Wave 9, for example, looks better than their DCD counterparts in my opinion(except the ones DCD never made). Sometimes it just comes down to which source material you prefer...the DCU Hal Jordan and Kilowog are great classic renditions, the DCD Hal Jordan and Kilowog are great modern renditions.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind the lack of poseability if the poses they were stuck in were better. Like the hunchbacked Black Mask, or Harley Quinn from the Hush line...her sculpt is on par with DCU's, but the pose ruins the figure.

But oh well, DCD excels at the Lantern figures, at least. I'm really hoping for a Soranik Natu in this line! Sodam Yat would be a good choice as well. I want more Sinestro Corps members too, like Arkillo and the guy that looks like a mini-Chemo. Perhaps a Mongul too.

I think we'll get a Nekron, they made Anti-Monitor in the Crisis line and he's much more out-of-scale than a Nekron would be. I would love to see Mattel make both of them as build-a-figures, though.

I'd like Scar, but not by herself...they packed in Glomulous(sp?) with Larfleeze, so maybe pack her in with a Black Lantern? Or maybe her and Blue Lantern Guardian Ganthet?