Who thinks GI Joe's future's looking bright?

yojoebro82

I'm thinking so and I didn't realize it until just now.

I just bought some new figures for the first time after a little break; Gung Ho/Copperhead 2pk, Charbroil, and the Doctor (white coat!). I'm liking what I'm seeing.

As for the figures themselves, I think after we've trudged through all the movie stuff they can throw at us, we got some pretty neat, new-look figures coming. Guys like the Resolute Gung Ho, and Charbroil. No, they're not 25th style remakes but they are solid re-designs. That's one of the things I'm looking for. I was even tempted to get some of the new Cobras I saw at TRU today--if they were Target's $6 price I would have.

Figures aside, I also like the CG character design on the box art. Pretty neat. AND, as stated, a new low price!

I hesitate to say "What else are you looking for?" becasue I'll just get a ton of "Every character from 1982-1994 in 25th style!" responses. But really, what else are ya looking for!

I'm VERY pleased with the current direction of the toys. I like most all of it I'm seeing rught now, save for the area of vehicles, new vehicles that is. Not all too impressed in that department.

I think the 25th figures are a mix of some of the best and worst of the line. When I got my first set I hated the ankle articulation due to the fact that it seem this caused the figures to be able to stand about 2 seconds before falling over. Even with stands and blue tack hold them up some still fall over when displayed. I never had a problem with my ARAH figures doing this. While I agree the sculpting is a lot better many of the figures had twig legs that seemed to skinny on the figures. I liked the idea of removable gear but still don't really care for the mid torso articulation. My other and last grip with the 25th figures is the size. I still don't know why these figures couldn't have been 3 3/4 inch instead of 4 inchs and larger. This is fine for charachters like Roadblock or Big Boa but when Scarlett is that tall something is wrong. I'm really liking some of the Resolute designs and think of the first waves of 25th figures as a work in progress that got stronger as they worked out the design bugs so the future looks bright for the line. Still the figure design wise to me that shows and I hoped what the 25th line was going to look like was Major Barrage. This figure had the classic ARAH articulation of the O ring making it easy to play with and take apart with the modern sculting we see on the 25th line.

Well, I haven't bought any of the new movie figures, except for Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. They aren't bad figures...they're just not for me. I'm more into vintage stuff, so I would love to see more homages to vintage figures.

However, for those of you who do like the newer stuff, I can understand why. It's some of the best original GI Joe stuff (as a whole) we've probably seen since 1990.

it is looking bright to me i just hope they reissue the original molds soon i mean they reissue transformer molds alot but the only time they reissued the original gijoe molds was the 1997 collectors series and a couple of them got repainted in the valor vs venom and gijoe vs cobra lines

Its still too soon to tell honestly. I want to see what the post-movie plans will be and how well Joe will survive with a T.V. show and merchandise alone. If it does well outside a movie year, then we can start judging.

I'm really mixed about it. The cost has gone up a ton, and although sales help, I don't have a target or tru near me (and i'm water/landlocked so unless i want to fly or sail somewhere i'm stuck)

I picked up a few today (the first in a long while) and had got a couple from Xhairs in the mail.

Some of them are great! Helix and the pit commando are really neat and well thought, the claws (when combined with with stormy's gauntlets) from rex are something i would have loved as akid. But there are problems too, Most of wait i see on the shef doesn't interst me and after my puraches today i have regret. I'm hoping to buy a 360 before christmas and i just kept looking at my joes and thinking, Almost a whole game! Not to mention storage.

I think i'm getting close to the end of my collecting.

The figures are dandy--a very good valueCanno, but the vehicles stink.

Most of the vehciles stink. However, IMO the Steel Crusher is awesome!

I think the Rockslide is terminally underrated. It was a lot cooler than I thought it'd be once I got it out of the box.

Anyway, assuming the Pursuit of Cobra stuff makes it out, I think figure-wise the future is looking great for G.I. Joe. "New" designs that are clearly influenced by both Classic and Resolute flavor (in addition to RoC).

Vehicle wise...they need more "new blood", so to speak. The upcoming HISS redesign is a step in the right direction, but they need to get that spirit of creativity they had back in the 80's or at the very tail end of the JvC - VvV relaunch (when the RHINO and ROCC and DTC HISS debuted...some of the best "modern" vehicles). Hasbro has struggled with vehicles for years and RoC seems no exception (though it doesn't help that the movie didn't really have that many great vehicle designs).

Vehicle-wise, I just see a lot of repaints which doesn't really grab me but I have to admit that the picture I saw of the dragonfly helicopter did bring back some nice memories. But given how much the merchandise is sitting on the shelves right now, I don't know if that will ever show up. Still, I am glad that the G.I. Joe brand name is out there again and in the Joe versus Cobra form.

Vehicle wise...they need more "new blood", so to speak. The upcoming HISS redesign is a step in the right direction, but they need to get that spirit of creativity they had back in the 80's or at the very tail end of the JvC - VvV relaunch (when the RHINO and ROCC and DTC HISS debuted...some of the best "modern" vehicles). Hasbro has struggled with vehicles for years and RoC seems no exception (though it doesn't help that the movie didn't really have that many great vehicle designs)

Yes on the new HISS--double yes even. The HISS represents a contemporary design aesthetic, the Mole-Pod does not.

The Mole-Pod reminds me of something out of .........Thomas the Tank Engine--or Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds. Charming for its time, but now horribly dated.

There's a lot of modern design styling that can be used for toys, but it takes a bit of a risk to go that route. Hasbro has stepped that way before, on occasion--but they need to be bold about it again. For lack of a better term, the new " Metal-Gear Solid"/modern anime styling that is coming IS a step in the right direction. Even going back 15 years to stuff like Macross Plus--you'll find vehicles that have a cool aesthetic look about them. Obviously, that design mindset has evolved further since then, and I think that is where the vehicle designs should stem from.

Vehicle wise...they need more "new blood", so to speak. The upcoming HISS redesign is a step in the right direction, but they need to get that spirit of creativity they had back in the 80's or at the very tail end of the JvC - VvV relaunch (when the RHINO and ROCC and DTC HISS debuted...some of the best "modern" vehicles). Hasbro has struggled with vehicles for years and RoC seems no exception (though it doesn't help that the movie didn't really have that many great vehicle designs)

Yes on the new HISS--double yes even. The HISS represents a contemporary design aesthetic, the Mole-Pod does not.

The Mole-Pod reminds me of something out of .........Thomas the Tank Engine--or Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds. Charming for its time, but now horribly dated.

There's a lot of modern design styling that can be used for toys, but it takes a bit of a risk to go that route. Hasbro has stepped that way before, on occasion--but they need to be bold about it again. For lack of a better term, the new " Metal-Gear Solid"/modern anime styling that is coming IS a step in the right direction. Even going back 15 years to stuff like Macross Plus--you'll find vehicles that have a cool aesthetic look about them. Obviously, that design mindset has evolved further since then, and I think that is where the vehicle designs should stem from.

That's rather insightful, and I think you're dead on in that the Joe "look" needs to evolve. Vintage remakes and homages are fun for what they are, but I'll take a PoC Jungle Viper over a straight Night Viper rehash anyday.