Bad sign for the movie...to me at elast.

DRACOREX

Okay, I am not going to go into how much I hated the movie with this. However, I just happen to live near a dollar theater which features second run movies for a...you guessed it, a dollar(used to be 50 cents, damned @holes). Anyway these are movies that were playing in regular theaters and arrive many months after their regualr run is over. When they get their usually depends on how successful the movie was. The better the movie does the longer the wait. Well, G.I. Joe starts Friday and that is pretty fast for this theater. I am interested in how long it stays in this theater because if it does nothing within a week they drop it Firday.

That last word should be "least" in the topic. Sorry about that.

I do not follow you. How can this be a bad sign for a movie that's already been called a moderate success, and have a sequel green-lit? Showing it in a second-run theatre for any length of time isn't a bad thing. Heck, the movie ran at my local drive-in from opening day to just last week, when the drive-in closed for the season. It ran in place of about a dozen other movies that could have run over that time--and I think that is a good sign, as least for my local market.

Heh, so first, you're complaining b/c you still have dollar second-run theaters when the best I've seen for years are 2.50 theaters. ;):D

Secondly, Joe has been out of the main rotation for a month or so now. It may be a little quicker than some - it's no Braveheart - but I don't think that's too quick, especially considering it will be on DVD in less than a month from now.

Well, I complain because it used to be 50 cents. I could see movies all day and get drinks and candy from the stand. Still, I admit that is not bad.

I say it is bad to me. True, others might think so. I just base it on how this theater gets its movies. They get big time movies much later and play the hell out of them. For more or less just coming off its run that is pretty quick. I would expect it at just about November really.

I know what you are saying... We used to have a dollar theater, actually it still might be there, I haven't been since I was a teen...

anyhow they never got any of the big movies until they were WAYYYYYY old.

Around here, it looks like all movies that close at the "normal" theaters go to the cheap ones within a week or 2.

A better sign might be how long a movie stays at the cheap theater. Some last only a week (since they only change movies once a week) but some can last for like 2 months.

Well, I complain because it used to be 50 cents. I could see movies all day and get drinks and candy from the stand. Still, I admit that is not bad.

Sure the MOVIE was 50 cents, but the snacks would run you an additional $17. More if you go with someone lol.

I do not follow you. How can this be a bad sign for a movie that's already been called a moderate success, and have a sequel green-lit?

Aye, but having a sequel "green-lit" isn't much of an indicator either. They'll do sequels to almost anything... @firedevil@

It seems to me that there used to be fairly good guidelines when it came to things like movies making the jump from theatre, to discount theatre to video and then TV/Cable. But these days none of those old rules apply. Twenty years ago movies hit video about a year after having been in theatres. Between that time about about ten years ago it changed to about six months with the main exception being Christmas themed movies (which still holds true today, just because it's an easier to sell Christmas movies at Christmas time). But quite frankly with the introduction of DVD about ten years ago, the rules completely changed. You started seeing movies released about four months after the theatre release date. So I guess just over two months is quick, but with the way media is handled today I don't know. I do know that companies now generally make more from a movie on DVD or cable than they do while that movies in the theatre (with very few exceptions). Of course with Hollywood accounting being what it is they could show you numbers provings that Titanic was a flop and lost money. What I do find even more suprising is that some movies are premiering on VOD (Video on Demand) before a theatrical or video release. Both the Mutant Chronicles and Ong Bak 2 have done this. I know neither one is a big budget movie, but still.

I do think that with all the ways that you can see a movie today and with the fact that you can get a high quality bootleg days after (or sometimes even before) release has the Hollywood system in a daze. Can you imagine being able to see "Insert 70's or 80's movie title here" days after seeing it at the movies? Hell I can remember playing sick so I could stay home and see Empire Strikes Back on HBO at 9:00 in the morning on a school day.

Well consider the fact that the movie's out on DVD in a matter of weeks, seems to me the movie theater's just trying to cash in before that, and for most of my life, summer blockbusters were in the cheap theater in October, no matter what the movie, unles it was being consider for an Oscar or whatnot.

Well consider the fact that the movie's out on DVD in a matter of weeks, seems to me the movie theater's just trying to cash in before that, and for most of my life, summer blockbusters were in the cheap theater in October, no matter what the movie, unles it was being consider for an Oscar or whatnot.

Yeah, I don't see it as a big deal, I mean, it's gonna be on DVD soon, that's how they usually hit the $1 theaters.. I mean.. don't they usually only pick the good movies for the $1 theater anyway, so technically, isn't this a good thing?

No, the one near me gets the good and the bad. If the movie really sucks in the first week then they drop it. Most people who go tend to wait to pay a lower price. They are some movies I kind of want to see but will not pay full price for but still want to see on a big screen. My other reason is because I liked a movie enough to see it again. I think it would be partly a bad sign because it would be like, Well, I want to see G.I. Joe, I just do not want to pay $9 for it." I should want to pay that much(well not really but you get my point) to see a kick ass movie. I think it might be worse if Joe did better at a dollar movie because it might show that you care but just not enough. This sort of takes me back to When Star Trek: Nemesis came out and got beat by Maid in Manhattan. My brother and I were stunned that it seemed like the fans did not support it, at least in its first week.

• 3 weeks later...

Aye, but having a sequel "green-lit" isn't much of an indicator either. They'll do sequels to almost anything... FIREdevil.gif

Yeah it is an indicator. They do sequels to almost anything that makes them money. If a film does poorly, they aren't going to spend more money to make a sequel on it.

Aye, but having a sequel "green-lit" isn't much of an indicator either. They'll do sequels to almost anything... FIREdevil.gif

Yeah it is an indicator. They do sequels to almost anything that makes them money. If a film does poorly, they aren't going to spend more money to make a sequel on it.

Direct to Video.

Oh, and since your new, the @firedevil@ denotes sarcasm and joking around.