ROC to be released on DVD 11-3

CLAM

Too bad Paramount put in over $325 million and maybe more into make it with both production and advertising.

Where'd this number come from?

Here's a better question: Has Hasbro or Paramount refuted this?

The production costs quoted are $175 Million, and its not unreasonable to assume a advertising budget of $150 million.

Actually I've read tonite that ad costs were in the $100+ range--which is close enough to fit. Frankly, it was the most heavily advertised film of the summer, from what I saw. At two weeks before the premiere of the film, I counted 32 ads over 6 different channels in the space of about 6-7 hours, from feeds that came from about 4 different markets. That sounds like what a $150 million would get you on TV. And then there was the signage everywhere, on buses, posters etc. This movie was HYPED.

Edit: One thing I just read was that the movie was marketed differently than in the past. Emphasis was made towards specific marketing rather than towards general awareness. Industry folks called Paramount's approach to this somewhat daring, because it used social networking a great deal to spread the word about the movie. The upshot of this is that they use opinions like what you find here in these forums to gauge/predict how much money the movie will make on its opening weekend. The "track", as it is called, predicted a box-office of more than $50 million, and the actual listed take was around $54 million.

• Like 1

Too bad Paramount put in over $325 million and maybe more into make it with both production and advertising.

Where'd this number come from?

Here's a better question: Has Hasbro or Paramount refuted this?

The production costs quoted are $175 Million, and its not unreasonable to assume a advertising budget of $150 million.

Actually I've read tonite that ad costs were in the $100+ range--which is close enough to fit. Frankly, it was the most heavily advertised film of the summer, from what I saw. At two weeks before the premiere of the film, I counted 32 ads over 6 different channels in the space of about 6-7 hours, from feeds that came from about 4 different markets. That sounds like what a $150 million would get you on TV. And then there was the signage everywhere, on buses, posters etc. This movie was HYPED.

Edit: One thing I just read was that the movie was marketed differently than in the past. Emphasis was made towards specific marketing rather than towards general awareness. Industry folks called Paramount's approach to this somewhat daring, because it used social networking a great deal to spread the word about the movie. The upshot of this is that they use opinions like what you find here in these forums to gauge/predict how much money the movie will make on its opening weekend. The "track", as it is called, predicted a box-office of more than $50 million, and the actual listed take was around $54 million.

Hasbro hasn't refuted that it cost $325 million but that statement makes about as much sense as they haven't refuted it cost One Billion Trillion dollars. What is to refute? A poster on a Toy Board? I am sure you have stung them considerably (as you say "mate").

I am in agreement with Arrow on this that for it's costs, whatever they may be (advertising + $175 million production, assuming that is all production and ZERO advertising built in) the film was pretty quickly green-lit for the Sequel.

As for those deeming GI Joe a failure that is like telling a C student he failed. Underperformed....more than likely. Failed...I think not. The fact is that the movie will have grossed $300 million by the end of the coming weekend guaranteed (it is $600K off and made $91K on Monday alone and $600K on the last weekend). A $300 million dollare film is failure if it cost $400 million to make I suppose. But if the film studio was taking such a loss they wouldn't make sequel. From what I have read the studio gets a cut of all that GI Joe merchandise on the shelves and I mean the movie figures, posters, books, Slurpee Cups, Skateboards, etc. on top of that a movie typically gets 12% of it's gross as payment for television rights, which would be roughly $36 million. If the DVD goes on to sell in excess of $30 million dollars would be no surprise and there are rental fees as well the studio profits from. The odds this film's $300 Million Take, perhaps $75 million in sale/rental/television fees and who knows how much on the merchandise my guess is the venture was profitable.

Assume a lower budget next time around and a higher take (which is the norm in these franchise flicks) and the sequel looks even better on paper. My guess is even if the film is a break even it makes sense to continue. Part II should build up the coffers. This isn't rocket science.