Night Adder Racist?

MemberX

What is the stereotype about C-3PO? That he's British?

Well, that was the whole point of my reply. That while there are stereotypes in play (and Star Wars is FULL of them, although Lucas calls them "archetypes") people will see them based on their own desire to see them and/or be offended by them. The OP's friend accused G.I. Joe of being racially/sexually offensive, but gave Star Wars a pass, which is one of the most ridiculous failures of reasoning I've seen in reference to toys.

C-3PO is a perfect example of what I was saying - To most sensible people, he's just a funny, but loveable droid character used for comic relief, but he COULD (to someone with an agenda or a chip on their shoulder) be seen as a stereotype of the British being uptight and prissy. It could also be interpretted that his "unmanly" voice and mannerisms make him a stereotype for a particular sexual orientation. I'm not asserting any of that one way or another, only that someone who wants to find offensive stereotypes in Star Wars could find them and they wouldn't have to work hard.

Hope that clarifies.

Well, that was the whole point of my reply. That while there are stereotypes in play (and Star Wars is FULL of them, although Lucas calls them "archetypes") people will see them based on their own desire to see them and/or be offended by them. The OP's friend accused G.I. Joe of being racially/sexually offensive, but gave Star Wars a pass, which is one of the most ridiculous failures of reasoning I've seen in reference to toys.

C-3PO is a perfect example of what I was saying - To most sensible people, he's just a funny, but loveable droid character used for comic relief, but he COULD (to someone with an agenda or a chip on their shoulder) be seen as a stereotype of the British being uptight and prissy. It could also be interpretted that his "unmanly" voice and mannerisms make him a stereotype for a particular sexual orientation. I'm not asserting any of that one way or another, only that someone who wants to find offensive stereotypes in Star Wars could find them and they wouldn't have to work hard.

Hope that clarifies.

I agree. Star Wars, especially episode 1, has full of stereotypes, so it is odd that someone would overlook that simply because it is fantasy, whereas Gi Joe (which has space aliens and snakemen), is "realistic".

I use to think that Destro was African American when I was a kid. He had a deep, Michael Dorn-ish voice(aka Worf from ST:TNG) in the cartoon. I guess I never paid much attention to his bare chest. I was really young when the first cartoon series came out and never had any of the comics, so I didn't know he was Scottish.

Night Adder is a new character, isn't he? I think there was a VvV vehicle by that name. As far as the 'Night' in his name, I think they were just trying to come up with a cool, snake-themed name they already owned the rights to. If they had called him 'Black Mamba,' I think that would have been a bit much. He could be seen as a thug stereotype, with an attack dog and prison tattoos all over his chest and arms. But, white people have mean dogs and prison tattoos, too. That exists in real life, and I think it's kinda cool of Hasbro to diversify the lineup. I was surprised when I first saw upclose pics a few days ago, but now, I am digging it. I really like the Springfield tattoo across his back.

Well, the actor who did Destro's voice in the cartoon was black.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Lot/9746/Joepage/vo/burghardt.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Lot/9746/Joepage/vo/index.html&usg=__nu0tBBHxwaQysgMSI4tw696-2Z0=&h=162&w=132&sz=12&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=kGIb5Y7yMIw0-M:&tbnh=98&tbnw=80&prev=/images%3Fq%3DArthur%2BBurghardt%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GFRD_enUS336US336%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

So, the "argument" is somebody is being racist because the character is black and has some tattos? He's not the first character to have tattoos, nor is he the first black character. Did the person get all bent out of shape over Burnout? He's a GANG member!

I like the fact they ignore certain aspects of the character, primarily the fact that the chracter is the head of security, not just "some thug".

Don't forget that one of the names considered for Burnout was Driveby. If the topic poster's lady pal knew that, I bet she would be bent on that. LOL

Don't forget that one of the names considered for Burnout was Driveby. If the topic poster's lady pal knew that, I bet she would be bent on that. LOL

@loll@

All this "Political Correctness" just makes us all liars and deniers. Burnout could be used for a race car enthusiast or a drug addict. Driveby would conjure up an instant image (in my mind) of some Black South Central gangs chosen mode of execution against the opposition, just the same as if they had the name HAYRIDE for a character and it would instantly make me think they're something of a White redneck. Stereotypes are created for a reason, and it's because they truly exist. The issue is that bringing up the negative ones, hurts their feelings so it's impolite or "incorrect"? :rolleyes:

The more we baby the sensitive type, the more intolerance we create, thus the more violent reactions and outbursts to every stinkin' little bump in the road somebody might have to deal with, if their feelings get hurt. The pussification of America...is almost complete. @haha@

• Like 1

I'm guessing Night Creepers and Night Vipers are racist too?

Why would you think that? "Night" has nothing to do with it (and Night Vipers are all white).

But the fact that NIGHT was used in the name of a BLACK Cobra character here (NIGHT ADDER) appeared to this girl as being racist...is what we're all dumbfounded and amused by.

I think the examples of what all could be construed as some sort of stereotypical RACIST labeling, is where the joke has lead us at this point, so anything with NIGHT in it is going to be brought up. Hard to rationalize the original concern over the Night Adder, let alone worry too much about the logistics of hamsterboys examples? @haha@

• Like 1

ah... so Night Adder is not a trooper.. he is a black dude. I can dig that.. although I don't like the helmet

anyhow, what does "Cobra LoA" mean?? LoA??? what's that?

also, why does Cobra, all of a sudden, have two new black characters with masks/helmets on, no shirts, and big ass vests?

I'm pretty sure it says "Cobra LA" not "Cobra LoA".

I am just glad everyone avoided a Michael Vick reference...damn it, I just did. I think Night Adder is a guy who is black, has tattoos, and a mean dog, and is a bad guy. Storm Shadow has a tattoo, that does not make him Yakuza. People just need to see these things as toys. Now, if you put him in in a golfing outfit and slanted his then you have a problem. If this where a white guy and he was bald with tattoos then he would be a Neo Nazi by her definition, would that be racist towards white people. I think hasbro is just adding some variety. Would he be better in a suit?

@loll@

All this "Political Correctness" just makes us all liars and deniers. Burnout could be used for a race car enthusiast or a drug addict. Driveby would conjure up an instant image (in my mind) of some Black South Central gangs chosen mode of execution against the opposition, just the same as if they had the name HAYRIDE for a character and it would instantly make me think they're something of a White redneck. Stereotypes are created for a reason, and it's because they truly exist. The issue is that bringing up the negative ones, hurts their feelings so it's impolite or "incorrect"? :rolleyes:

The more we baby the sensitive type, the more intolerance we create, thus the more violent reactions and outbursts to every stinkin' little bump in the road somebody might have to deal with, if their feelings get hurt. The pussification of America...is almost complete. @haha@

I like two things from this: HAYRIDE(LOL) and pussification(LMAO)!

If this where a white guy and he was bald with tattoos then he would be a Neo Nazi by her definition, would that be racist towards white people.

This makes me realize something.

The OP's friend actually stumbled onto a truth that we've all been blind to. There HAS been racism in GI Joe.

In Joe's history, only white guys have been depicted as ex-cons and criminals. I mean, yeah, there was Burnout, but he was "new sculpt" and no one cared about him. There have been those few darker skinned Cobra troopers, but they didn't even have names. If you look at the classic Dreadnoks however - the criminals who mattered - you have a bunch of pasty white dudes, all of whom are the most vile reprobate, tattooed and savage anarchists. Wasn't that racist? I mean, come on, they were all white and they never allowed anyone different from them to be in their gang. If you look at 25 years of Joe history, that's all we've had for criminal low-life types. Man, we were so blind in our prejudice.

But we live in a time of hope and change now. Old barriers are breaking down, and the plastic ceiling has finally been shattered. Now anyone can be a tattooed ex-criminal, even a person of color. Heck, he's not even some dirty leather-clad biker scum bag from the outback, he's an OFFICER! The head of a the security division. He's got a real job, with responsibilities and power. He's got a future in a major international organization.

Young people of all races, who hate conformity, enjoy violence and mayhem, and want to stick it to "the man," now have a hero to look up to, not just anti-social white kids from Australia and the UK. By creating Night Adder, Hasbro is actually championing DIVERSITY. Real diversity! Finally our little plastic bad guys have some affirmative action!

So rather than argue and fret over this, we should - as a wise man once said - all just get along. Night Adder is an important step forward in the GI Joe mythology. At long last, everyone has a place in the terrorist rainbow!

If this where a white guy and he was bald with tattoos then he would be a Neo Nazi by her definition, would that be racist towards white people.

The OP's friend actually stumbled onto a truth that we've all been blind to. There HAS been racism in GI Joe.

In Joe's history, only white guys have been depicted as ex-cons and criminals. I mean, yeah, there was Burnout, but he was "new sculpt" and no one cared about him. There have been those few darker skinned Cobra troopers, but they didn't even have names. If you look at the classic Dreadnoks however - the criminals who mattered - you have a bunch of pasty white dudes, all of whom are the most vile reprobate, tattooed and savage anarchists. Wasn't that racist? I mean, come on, they were all white and they never allowed anyone different from them to be in their gang. If you look at 25 years of Joe history, that's all we've had for criminal low-life types. Man, we were so blind in our prejudice.

But we live in a time of hope and change now. Old barriers are breaking down, and the plastic ceiling has finally been shattered. Now anyone can be a tattooed ex-criminal, even a person of color. Heck, he's not even some dirty leather-clad biker scum bag from the outback, he's an OFFICER! The head of a the security division. He's got a real job, with responsibilities and power. He's got a future in a major international organization.

Young people of all races, who hate conformity, enjoy violence and mayhem, and want to stick it to "the man," now have a hero to look up to, not just anti-social white kids from Australia and the UK. By creating Night Adder, Hasbro is actually championing DIVERSITY. Real diversity! Finally our little plastic bad guys have some affirmative action!

So rather than argue and fret over this, we should - as a wise man once said - all just get along. Night Adder is an important step forward in the GI Joe mythology. At long last, everyone has a place in the terrorist rainbow!

welcome to the boards but I dont think she was going for that

Being hateful, violent and something of a terrorist (or enemy combatant) had to be made "cool" first, before it's membership was expanded to include members of ALL races and not just the Anglo Saxon variety. You are correct in that it's FINALLY reached out to minorities that might have otherwise thought such a thing to be "racist" and "stereotypical" against brown skinned peoples of the world, by making them always the thugs, criminals and terrorists in movies, books and toylines? ^_^

Terrorism is FINALLY good enough for EVERYONE!!! ;)

Being hateful, violent and something of a terrorist (or enemy combatant) had to be made "cool" first, before it's membership was expanded to include members of ALL races and not just the Anglo Saxon variety. You are correct in that it's FINALLY reached out to minorities that might have otherwise thought such a thing to be "racist" and "stereotypical" against brown skinned peoples of the world, by making them always the thugs, criminals and terrorists in movies, books and toylines? happy.gif

Terrorism is FINALLY good enough for EVERYONE!!! wink.gif

O you cant really tell and I like the figure too!

They already did...Cobra Commander.

Considering that MOST of Cobra's troopers were completely covered doesn't disprove the possiblity that a lot of them were "non-white".

You do kinda have to wonder why they didn't do any "non-whites". The simple answer is that it was cost ineffective to do such simple repaints. But I think the larger answer is that they didn't want to "offend" anyone.