Night Adder Racist?

MemberX

Okay so one of my fellow friends of mine saw my night adder figure. They thought the figure was racist being called Night and having nothing but black acessories and tatoos. Now I for one dont think its racist but has our society become so involved with PC that eveything must be either incorrect or correct? Then again the same friend complained about the Bust of scarlet saying that its Inaccurate and that females are getting on a lower level than men in Gi joe! Yep I need to stop hanging out with crazy feminist who collect star wars figures!

You can't be serious. Are you sure she wasn't just yanking your chain? OK, maybe you could get him on animal cruelty, but racism? Give me a break.

And if she's a Star Wars fan, you really have to ask her where she gets her moral high ground. After all, it's not like Star Wars doesn't have a fair share of potential stereotypes and exploitive characters...

What does your friend think about Darth Talon, Aayla Secura, Slave Leia, Oola, and Fireside Padme? Are they empowered feminist women in their tube tops, metal bikinis, tight pants and thongs?

What does she think about Lando and his bell bottoms, puffy pimp shirt, and fancy pimp cape?

How about Jar Jar or the Nemoidians and their "dialects"?

Or Porkins - I mean the guy was husky and his freakin name was PORKINS!? It doesn't get more blatantly stereotyping and offensive than that.

What does she think about Jabba's purple uncle Ziro from clone wars?

Or C-3PO for that matter?

If you want to find reasons to be offended, there's plenty of that to go around in Star Wars. The key is you have to WANT to find them. It's just ridiculous.

You can't be serious. Are you sure she wasn't just yanking your chain? OK, maybe you could get him on animal cruelty, but racism? Give me a break.

And if she's a Star Wars fan, you really have to ask her where she gets her moral high ground. After all, it's not like Star Wars doesn't have a fair share of potential stereotypes and exploitive characters...

What does your friend think about Darth Talon, Aayla Secura, Slave Leia, Oola, and Fireside Padme? Are they empowered feminist women in their tube tops, metal bikinis, tight pants and thongs?

What does she think about Lando and his bell bottoms, puffy pimp shirt, and fancy pimp cape?

Or Porkins - I mean the guy was husky and his freakin name was PORKINS!? It doesn't get more blatantly stereotyping and offensive than that.

If you want to find reasons to be offended, there's plenty of that to go around in Star Wars. The key is you have to WANT to find them. It's just ridiculous.

yeah, in REAL LIFE, a lot of firearms are actually BLACK in color. I'm sure Hasbro didn't color the guns black as a racist jab. They did it for REALISM purposes. Also, the notion that anyone that has a black tattoo is a racist is a bigger sterotype than any of the things she mentioned about the figure. I am a tattoo artist. Believe it or not there are a lot of open-minded, intelligent, non-KKK members that get tattooed.

Okay so one of my fellow friends of mine saw my night adder figure. They thought the figure was racist being called Night and having nothing but black acessories and tatoos. Now I for one dont think its racist but has our society become so involved with PC that eveything must be either incorrect or correct? Then again the same friend complained about the Bust of scarlet saying that its Inaccurate and that females are getting on a lower level than men in Gi joe! Yep I need to stop hanging out with crazy feminist who collect star wars figures!

Finding a more intelligent crowd to hang around with, a become friends with, is always a good move. You've got a real loser with this one. There's nothing more dangerous than a stupid person that thinks they're smart and even WORSE...has an opinion on anything.

Ask her if she thinks a bunch of redneck WHITE dudes, slappin' around a BLACK puck with sticks....is hidden symbolic act of RACISM?

@lol@ ............. @lol@ Now that was one of the best posts I have read in a long time!

Draven

wow seriously? racist?

yeah thanks for the replys and Im glad there arent as many ignorant people as her! And she says star wars is more of a fantasy and gi joe sort of has realism. Yeah THAT is okay with Jar Jar binks running around!

yeah thanks for the replys and Im glad there arent as many ignorant people as her! And she says star wars is more of a fantasy and gi joe sort of has realism. Yeah THAT is okay with Jar Jar binks running around!

Wait... so she thinks it's OK to stereotype people based on racial, sexual, and personal characteristics in "fantasy" entertainment, but not in more "real world" based entertainment - like G.I. Joe?

There is so much wrong with every part of that "logic" it makes me laugh and want to cry at the same time.

Why Night Adder though? I didn't even know that guy was OUT yet.

If you want to break it down, Cobra Commander is totally a racist. There has never been one black member of Cobra. I'm sure he holds lynchings off panel.

infantrytrooper4.jpg

http://www.yojoe.com/action/04/infantrytrooper4.shtml

Hasbro just tried to avoid the pitfall of being charged with stereotyping their characters by having Black villains. Now that being the villain is consider COOL....they came back around with some Black troopers.

Damned if ya do and damned if ya don't! ahh life! :)

I use to think that Destro was African American when I was a kid. He had a deep, Michael Dorn-ish voice(aka Worf from ST:TNG) in the cartoon. I guess I never paid much attention to his bare chest. I was really young when the first cartoon series came out and never had any of the comics, so I didn't know he was Scottish.

Night Adder is a new character, isn't he? I think there was a VvV vehicle by that name. As far as the 'Night' in his name, I think they were just trying to come up with a cool, snake-themed name they already owned the rights to. If they had called him 'Black Mamba,' I think that would have been a bit much. He could be seen as a thug stereotype, with an attack dog and prison tattoos all over his chest and arms. But, white people have mean dogs and prison tattoos, too. That exists in real life, and I think it's kinda cool of Hasbro to diversify the lineup. I was surprised when I first saw upclose pics a few days ago, but now, I am digging it. I really like the Springfield tattoo across his back.

What is the stereotype about C-3PO? That he's British?

I use to think that Destro was African American when I was a kid. He had a deep, Michael Dorn-ish voice(aka Worf from ST:TNG) in the cartoon. I guess I never paid much attention to his bare chest. I was really young when the first cartoon series came out and never had any of the comics, so I didn't know he was Scottish.

Night Adder is a new character, isn't he? I think there was a VvV vehicle by that name. As far as the 'Night' in his name, I think they were just trying to come up with a cool, snake-themed name they already owned the rights to. If they had called him 'Black Mamba,' I think that would have been a bit much. He could be seen as a thug stereotype, with an attack dog and prison tattoos all over his chest and arms. But, white people have mean dogs and prison tattoos, too. That exists in real life, and I think it's kinda cool of Hasbro to diversify the lineup. I was surprised when I first saw upclose pics a few days ago, but now, I am digging it. I really like the Springfield tattoo across his back.

What is the stereotype about C-3PO? That he's British?

Well, the actor who did Destro's voice in the cartoon was black.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Lot/9746/Joepage/vo/burghardt.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Lot/9746/Joepage/vo/index.html&usg=__nu0tBBHxwaQysgMSI4tw696-2Z0=&h=162&w=132&sz=12&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=kGIb5Y7yMIw0-M:&tbnh=98&tbnw=80&prev=/images%3Fq%3DArthur%2BBurghardt%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GFRD_enUS336US336%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

So, the "argument" is somebody is being racist because the character is black and has some tattos? He's not the first character to have tattoos, nor is he the first black character. Did the person get all bent out of shape over Burnout? He's a GANG member!

I like the fact they ignore certain aspects of the character, primarily the fact that the chracter is the head of security, not just "some thug".