Are you excited more for the stuff coming out after the movie than the stuff that is out now?

DRACOREX

I am talking about be more excited about the City Strike, Jungle, and Arctic figures than the figures taken directly from the movie. I am particulary loving the City Strike figures. I sort of wish Hasbro started this before the movie so we could have the comic characters and not have to be based on someone's likeness...of course a simple head swap will take care of that.

I think the PoC line looks better than the RoC line in that aspect.

Is there anything I am wanting? Not really.

I have enough Duke's, Ripcord's and Snake Eyes'.

In just a few waves revealed we've already seen several versions of each character. Is it really a good idea to have 3 different versions of Duke at the same time?

Recondo looks like Recongunho to me. Zartan looks like a mix between Raptor and Nightwolf from MK to me. Jungle Viper is nice, but nothing I see myself going to any great lengths to acquire.

Those are my overall impressions of the line. So to answer your question am I more excited for one over the other? I think the PoC line is superior in molds, sculpting and paint detail to things like backpacks and gear. But I'm not too crazy about either line.

Hasbro just isn't making anything I like in G I Joe anymore.

• Like 1

I understand your point completely. I actually wish this was a non-Joe line altogether. So far everything that I have gotten from the movie is purely for custom figures and it will be the same for the new stuff. I think it way past due for a major company like Hasbro to come out with something completely their own with full control over it.

No, I don't like that fact that most of this is just stupid redo characters in different themed outfits. Its what kills lines and it will kill this one. The non SE, Duke, Rips, etc don't look that great to me minus a few like Zartan.

Draven

No, I don't like that fact that most of this is just stupid redo characters in different themed outfits. Its what kills lines and it will kill this one. Draven

Yep. Hasbro should know better than that.

I do not think it's a good idea to have 3 versions of Duke on the pegs all at once and about 3 to 5 copies of each version. You're going to see nothing but Duke's, Ripcord's and Snake Eyes' and an occasional ReconHo or Zartan.

I'd be surprised if these ever made it to the b&m stores anyway. They are scheduled for 2010 and that's still 4 months away. RoC needs to sell well and keep moving for PoC to hit stores. The way it's going, I don't see that happening. The movie is still struggling to be in a surplus and I seriously doubt it's going to. TRU and Walmart are having sale after sale in attempts to get interest and sell product. There's just not enough interest there. Walmart and maybe Target and TRU has already shown disinterest in selling G I Joe. When they take the movie out of the theaters in a week or two and there's no absolute concrete word from Paramount that there is going to be a sequel (why would there be? as it stand they are $175 million in the hole still. Do you really think Paramount is going to say we're $175 million in the hole, but what the Hell? Let's lose some more money and try to sell some more toys for Hasbro and maybe it will work the second time) and it's considered one big failure, look for Walmart and TRU to put them on clearance and tell Hasbro no thanks on G I Joe.

What happens after that will be interesting. Will Hasbro decide that the bulk of G I Joe buyers are in the older collector camp? Will the 25th line return and will Hasbro distribute Joe online? Or will they just drop it entirely and let it die for a few years?

Kids obviously aren't buying these. Sure, everyone has seen a kid or two buy some (except me). What I mean is overall like Hasbro wanted. So that means collectors and scalpers are buying them. If you don't believe that look at the fact that Target is raising the price of Joe $1 dollar. They are the store with the newer waves. Who's buying the newer waves? You think some kid who saw the movie 3 weeks ago is skipping school and running to Target every morning to find arctic storm shadow or looking for night adder? Of course not.

So if you consider interest for all of this is not great, you can count out the scalpers. Don't believe me? Check E-Bay. So who does that leave? It leaves the collectors. That's who's keeping it up. Has there been an onslaught of little kids coming to all of the forums to talk about the new cool movie and it's toys? No.

I watched on sites dedicated to G I Joe as RoC apologists told people who asked for more 25th classics this past spring and summer and even last year that they were living in the past. They were being ridiculous and silly to think that RoC wasn't going to be a huge success and that's where everything was and that a toy line couldn't be supported by collectors.

First of all I would point those people to Mattel's He-Man and Ghostbusters line.

Second, I would remind them that the 25th line went from 25 figures to 2 years of product. And oh yeah, by the way, until RoC accomplishes that feat, it's inferior to the 25th line.

And third, while collectors certainly can keep a line alive, something that is produced on such a much more massive scale like RoC is a different story. They are about to find out just how right they were. And they aren't going to like it.

• Like 1

am I more excited about what is coming out later? Not really.

for what is coming now, I am most excited about the walmart 2-packs and the Target SNAKE armor, both of these waves are hitting now.

for what is coming later, I am really only interested in the walmart playsets (OUTPOST DEFENDER!).

for what is coming next year, I am gonna buy City Strike (resolute) Snake Eyes, and that may be it.

Sorry Kyver, the movie sequel was already confirmed. Sorry to burt your bubble. My dislike for the toys coming has nothing to do with the movie itself or what is out now. I love both for the most part.

Draven

Sorry Kyver, the movie sequel was already confirmed. Sorry to burt your bubble. My dislike for the toys coming has nothing to do with the movie itself or what is out now. I love both for the most part.

Draven

Lol. You didn't burst my bubble Draven.

Could you provide me with a link about an actual statement from Paramount regarding the actual green light for production?

I'm not talking about Bonaventura stating he's pleased with a good opening or Sommers proclaiming that critics are a dying breed. Nor am I talking about a script being considered or okayed by Paramount for a possible sequel.

I'm talking about an actual press release statement from Paramount. A director named, actors on board, a budget given and dates of when actual production will begin.

In other words, not a script that has been green lit. But actual production has been green lit.

Until then, it's all hype to gather interest in the current film and nothing is set in stone.

I'll point out also that those comments were given after the intitial opening weekend. Since then, the movie has plummeted dramatically and I think it landed in #5 this past weekend. It is still $175 million away from just breaking even.

If you like the movie more power to you bro.

I think the PoC line looks better than the RoC line in that aspect.

Is there anything I am wanting? Not really.

I have enough Duke's, Ripcord's and Snake Eyes'.

In just a few waves revealed we've already seen several versions of each character. Is it really a good idea to have 3 different versions of Duke at the same time?

Recondo looks like Recongunho to me. Zartan looks like a mix between Raptor and Nightwolf from MK to me. Jungle Viper is nice, but nothing I see myself going to any great lengths to acquire.

Those are my overall impressions of the line. So to answer your question am I more excited for one over the other? I think the PoC line is superior in molds, sculpting and paint detail to things like backpacks and gear. But I'm not too crazy about either line.

Hasbro just isn't making anything I like in G I Joe anymore.

true, i definitely wont use them the way they come, they will make great custom bodies for some new cobra troopers etc.

I personally like what's coming out and even what is out now. It's refreshing to have some new designs in the brand and an easy head swap will take care of the problems with multiple versions of the same character. Around me ROC sells pretty well at all of the stores and is very popular with the kids. I didn't care for the movie too much (a little far fetched and overdone in alot of the movie) but I would see a sequel.

I have no problem with any of the stuff. I think a lot of it is some of the best looking sculpts of any characters we've seen in a long time. If you all don't buy em, then I should have no problem scooping them up.

As for the movie being in the hole, as of the 31st of August, the movie had grossed over 264 million worldwide. It only spent 175 million, so it's almost made 100 million in profit after all is said and done, and we haven't even begun to talk about DVD sales. I understand there is a lot of negativity towards the movie. Many people took it personally, and I have no trouble saying it's not the GI Joe I grew up with. And these new figures aren't the same that I grew up with. But what we might consider to be classic, timeless looks for these characters, kids today might think it's more than a bit dated. I, for one, welcome the changes and can't wait for more.

I see more custom potential than anything. I suppose the movie toys are good in the sense the Jo has at least some kind of presence. Personally, I will wait for the inevitable return to the 25th line(which I think will happen eventually), to keep them non-custom. I have not bought a single movie figure to keep regular at this point.

I forgot to mention that I also don't think the different themes are going to kill the line. And I think we, the fan, are partially to blame for these themed figures. I don't know how many times I saw posts on here about people asking what kind of themes they wanted to see Joes done in. Granted that was with the older stuff, but I remember seeing those posts over and over to the point where I was tired of seeing them. And the options were mostly the same. The desert and arctic were almost always included, and urban/street/city strike was included more than enough times as well. I remember reading that people asked Hasbro at one of the conventions to create theme sets for the toys. Of course, they gave us these with the 25th line, and now most of those are clearanced everywhere I look. I don't think they're going to kill the line, though. I really think they're hoping for kids to get into GI Joe, and parents to be the uninformed shoppers as usual. Mom goes into a store, sees Arctic Snake Eyes, thinks to herself, lil' Johnny likes Snake Eyes (or I at least heard him mention that name once), and this one looks new, I'll get it for him. I know if I was a kid, I'd actually like the themed sets. They make reenacting those scenes from the movie easier. And they make it easier to have your own arctic battles without imagining coats on your guys. (If you're a kid of course.)

I just think a lot of people in these forums are being hard on the line for not representing the Joes we all knew and loved from before. To answer one of the questions posted above about kids posting on these boards: No, I don't see any kids posting about their great new toys. Actually, I don't see any young kids posting here at all. That has nothing to do with sales though. This site is more aimed at an adult audience. As are most of the established Joe boards out there. And I don't think the target audience (kid wise) for these new toys is the age that spends most of their times in forums. I don't know if schools have changed that much, but if you were over 12 when I was in school and still played with Joes, you got made fun of and laughed at. I think these are more for kids aged 5-9. That seems like a good age range of kids that would enjoy the product for what it is without picking it apart for what it isn't. It's hard to think like a kid. I can barely remember how I was thinking when I was a kid. But I do remember that Bazooka was looking pretty dumb riding outside the Snowcat in a T-Shirt during my arctic battles.

Bring on the new stuff. I'm interested in most of it. I do need three Dukes. For three different set ups on my shelves. Maybe I've just been away from this stuff for too long, and I'm excited to be getting back to it. Ask me how I feel about this stuff at the start of the new year. LOL.

No, I don't like that fact that most of this is just stupid redo characters in different themed outfits. Its what kills lines and it will kill this one. Draven

Yep. Hasbro should know better than that.

I do not think it's a good idea to have 3 versions of Duke on the pegs all at once and about 3 to 5 copies of each version. You're going to see nothing but Duke's, Ripcord's and Snake Eyes' and an occasional ReconHo or Zartan.

I'd be surprised if these ever made it to the b&m stores anyway. They are scheduled for 2010 and that's still 4 months away. RoC needs to sell well and keep moving for PoC to hit stores. The way it's going, I don't see that happening. The movie is still struggling to be in a surplus and I seriously doubt it's going to. TRU and Walmart are having sale after sale in attempts to get interest and sell product. There's just not enough interest there. Walmart and maybe Target and TRU has already shown disinterest in selling G I Joe. When they take the movie out of the theaters in a week or two and there's no absolute concrete word from Paramount that there is going to be a sequel (why would there be? as it stand they are $175 million in the hole still. Do you really think Paramount is going to say we're $175 million in the hole, but what the Hell? Let's lose some more money and try to sell some more toys for Hasbro and maybe it will work the second time) and it's considered one big failure, look for Walmart and TRU to put them on clearance and tell Hasbro no thanks on G I Joe.

What happens after that will be interesting. Will Hasbro decide that the bulk of G I Joe buyers are in the older collector camp? Will the 25th line return and will Hasbro distribute Joe online? Or will they just drop it entirely and let it die for a few years?

Kids obviously aren't buying these. Sure, everyone has seen a kid or two buy some (except me). What I mean is overall like Hasbro wanted. So that means collectors and scalpers are buying them. If you don't believe that look at the fact that Target is raising the price of Joe $1 dollar. They are the store with the newer waves. Who's buying the newer waves? You think some kid who saw the movie 3 weeks ago is skipping school and running to Target every morning to find arctic storm shadow or looking for night adder? Of course not.

So if you consider interest for all of this is not great, you can count out the scalpers. Don't believe me? Check E-Bay. So who does that leave? It leaves the collectors. That's who's keeping it up. Has there been an onslaught of little kids coming to all of the forums to talk about the new cool movie and it's toys? No.

I watched on sites dedicated to G I Joe as RoC apologists told people who asked for more 25th classics this past spring and summer and even last year that they were living in the past. They were being ridiculous and silly to think that RoC wasn't going to be a huge success and that's where everything was and that a toy line couldn't be supported by collectors.

First of all I would point those people to Mattel's He-Man and Ghostbusters line.

Second, I would remind them that the 25th line went from 25 figures to 2 years of product. And oh yeah, by the way, until RoC accomplishes that feat, it's inferior to the 25th line.

And third, while collectors certainly can keep a line alive, something that is produced on such a much more massive scale like RoC is a different story. They are about to find out just how right they were. And they aren't going to like it.

Dude I see kids buy these figures and second you just don't see it. Don't post a topic that will get people upset.

TThank you Crimson Twins! I was going to track that done, the info on money revenue. I knew it had made more than Kyver wanted to admit. Its coming, a sequel. They said it and until they say other wise I will believe it is! :)

As far as your other point, I do see your point. I just am afraid it will be MOTU 20XX all over again. That is what scares me. And I guess I have just never been a fan of themed characters. I like them in their normal outfits for the most part and that is it.

Draven

I'm surprised you were able to take anything from that post. It more of a rant actually. I didn't really put my point into any kind of reasonable order.

One other interesting note about the movie. It was number one internationally for 3 weeks straight. I think that speaks volumes for what they were trying to do with this movie.

A funny little note about that: The copy of the movie that I got to watch was copied somewhere in what appeared to be Russia, based solely on my poor idea of what the Russian language looks like. Anyway, at the end, when the credits start rolling, the camera man moves the camera a little, and you can see the people that are getting up to leave the theater. Well, the lights are on since it's the end, so it's not just a shadow of someone leaving like most bootlegs. So, the people that were leaving were all women. And the women all seemed to be about in their 50's. I got a little chuckle out of that. I thought maybe they took the grandkids to go watch, but I didn't see any kids walking around. I thought it was a bit odd for a ganny's day out for them to go watch GI Joe. But hey, maybe that's Hasbro's new target audience.

I have no problem with any of the stuff. I think a lot of it is some of the best looking sculpts of any characters we've seen in a long time. If you all don't buy em, then I should have no problem scooping them up.

As for the movie being in the hole, as of the 31st of August, the movie had grossed over 264 million worldwide. It only spent 175 million, so it's almost made 100 million in profit after all is said and done, and we haven't even begun to talk about DVD sales. I understand there is a lot of negativity towards the movie. Many people took it personally, and I have no trouble saying it's not the GI Joe I grew up with. And these new figures aren't the same that I grew up with. But what we might consider to be classic, timeless looks for these characters, kids today might think it's more than a bit dated. I, for one, welcome the changes and can't wait for more.

Production cost $175 million.

Advertising cost another $150 million.

That's $325 million total amigo.

If the $264 million is correct, they are still in a defecit.

Dude I see kids buy these figures and second you just don't see it. Don't post a topic that will get people upset.

Well, hey, I mean if they are buying them where you see then all's well in the world, eh?

Oh,and it was Rob Moore, the studio executive vice chairman that said a sequel will begin production soon, as reported in the LA Times.

CT, I am aware of that "comment" from Rob Moore that sprang up after the initial opening weekend.

It first appeared on Wikipedia however so you should take it with a grain of salt.

There is no official statement from Paramount or anyone involved with the project, ie Bonaventura, Sommers or Beatty.

There has been no statement on Paramount's website since the decline after the first weekend.

If your number of $264 total is correct, it means they are still $61 million from just breaking even. Nevermind making a profit, something Paramount actually set out to do. They don't care for the universe or it's people like we do. They care about making a profit. And at this point, that's something they have failed to do.

Therefore, until it puts itself into a surplus margin or until it's removed from theaters, it makes sense that there has been no official word on a sequel.

But hey, you never know. Someone in Paramount may be sitting on a buckoo of money and decide losing millions isn't a big deal. He may like the film and decide he will pay for another one. To heck with logic and common sense. So there may be a sequel.

And good news for those who want one that bad.

In the meantime, I've said my piece. I'll drop out of this conversation to go do some more drugs now as someone earlier suggested. Such a warm loving feeling you get when you talk G I Joe with people on the internet.

I think I'll mosey on over to the Star Wars or Indiana Jones forums where people seem to have their facts straight and no one feels the need to sling mud at someone.

I'm not all that excited about the stuff we are CURRENTLY getting. The price is a consideration in that. I used to go toy hunting 3 or 4 times a week. Now? I've really only gone because of the 3 TRU sales. and I haven't even bought any of the larger vehicles yet. I'd like to, I think.

New stuff? It is all just pics. I prefer to decide "in hand" (or maybe with someone's review).

The don't look bad, but, as people have said, too many core characters over and over.

I forgot to mention that I also don't think the different themes are going to kill the line. And I think we, the fan, are partially to blame for these themed figures. I don't know how many times I saw posts on here about people asking what kind of themes they wanted to see Joes done in. Granted that was with the older stuff, but I remember seeing those posts over and over to the point where I was tired of seeing them. And the options were mostly the same. The desert and arctic were almost always included, and urban/street/city strike was included more than enough times as well. I remember reading that people asked Hasbro at one of the conventions to create theme sets for the toys. Of course, they gave us these with the 25th line, and now most of those are clearanced everywhere I look. I don't think they're going to kill the line, though. I really think they're hoping for kids to get into GI Joe, and parents to be the uninformed shoppers as usual. Mom goes into a store, sees Arctic Snake Eyes, thinks to herself, lil' Johnny likes Snake Eyes (or I at least heard him mention that name once), and this one looks new, I'll get it for him. I know if I was a kid, I'd actually like the themed sets. They make reenacting those scenes from the movie easier. And they make it easier to have your own arctic battles without imagining coats on your guys. (If you're a kid of course.)

I just think a lot of people in these forums are being hard on the line for not representing the Joes we all knew and loved from before. To answer one of the questions posted above about kids posting on these boards: No, I don't see any kids posting about their great new toys. Actually, I don't see any young kids posting here at all. That has nothing to do with sales though. This site is more aimed at an adult audience. As are most of the established Joe boards out there. And I don't think the target audience (kid wise) for these new toys is the age that spends most of their times in forums. I don't know if schools have changed that much, but if you were over 12 when I was in school and still played with Joes, you got made fun of and laughed at. I think these are more for kids aged 5-9. That seems like a good age range of kids that would enjoy the product for what it is without picking it apart for what it isn't. It's hard to think like a kid. I can barely remember how I was thinking when I was a kid. But I do remember that Bazooka was looking pretty dumb riding outside the Snowcat in a T-Shirt during my arctic battles.

Bring on the new stuff. I'm interested in most of it. I do need three Dukes. For three different set ups on my shelves. Maybe I've just been away from this stuff for too long, and I'm excited to be getting back to it. Ask me how I feel about this stuff at the start of the new year. LOL.

I have to disagree a bit. As you pointed out the desire for "themed" set was "pre-25th". Even in the toon AND the comic, we got to see both Joes and Cobras in "artic gear" (to use one example). Why not the toys?

But that was with established characters getting new versions. With 25th, we wanted (relatively) accurate 25th body versions of RAH figures. We ALL know there were/are only so many figures they were going to put out with those characteristics. It was a "people didn't really want "themes" if it meant not getting someone else" kind of thinking.

The problem with the theme sets that are scheduled to come out is that we aren't GETTING the "theme sets we want". We are getting, Ripcord, Snake Eyes, Scarlett and Duke in arctic gear. And a token ACTUAL arctic character (Snow Job I think). Ripcord, Snake Eyes, Scarlett and Duke in jungle gear and a token Recondo. Ripcord, Snake Eyes, Scarlett and Duke in desert gear and a token Dusty. They don't seem to realize we don't WANT the same 5 guys in every theme.

The funny thing is, they could easily do HLBCs. They have, in fact, just not to the extent the could. For example, The 25th Snow Serpent shares a majority of his body parts with both Snake Eyes v35 (the arctic version, of course, from the ocmic) AND the Arctic Tele-Viper from the environments pack. Or, take a look at the Marvel Legends 2 packs. You have one that includes a "S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent" with a Nick Fury alternate head and another that is Maria Hill with a Sharon Carter alternate head. Not to mention Flint in Cobra disguise.

Simply put, they could easily do theme sets by head replacement. Just not the same 5 damn characters over and over. They don't seem to understand the difference.