Jackpot!!

Devilbat

I had one last physical therapy appointment today (Don't ask...), so I decided to drop by TRU and see if they had any good ROC figures. I was very pleased to find that they had a sale going on; two figures for $10.99. I'm sure someone's reported this and I wasn't paying attention. I'm sorry! So what did I find? I scored an Accelerator Suit Duke, Doctor Rex, PP Baroness, Arctic Assault Storm Shadow, PP Storm Shadow, a Neo-Viper, Sgt. Stone, and a regular Snake-Eyes.

Also, I must tell on myself, and those of you that are openers will be so very proud of me. Y'see, I've been mainly a MOMC collector for the past several years, obsessive-compulsively hoarding carded figures in neat little banker's boxes for preservation purposes. Well, the new ROC movie and subsequent toy line has just been so much fun for me, that I am just opening up these suckers left and right with zero remorse. (lol) I'm finding that most if not all of these figures are even better in-hand than they look in the packaging. My impressions:

Snake-Eyes: Although Snake-Eyes is my favorite character, I've not been 100% happy with this figure, mainly because it's not entirely movie-accurate. I noticed right away, as many have mentioned before, that the head has a very limited range of motion, as if he's perpetually looking down. The good part about that is I can duplicate that cool pic of him holding his sword while looking down. (lol) Also, his visor looks like it's resting too high up on his face, and he has the legs of his fatigues stuffed down into his combat boots, whereas the film version has what looks like pant-legs that go all the way down and cover up the boots. But really, I otherwise like this figure. It feels much more solid and well-made in hand, with nice tight joints that almost click into place and stay there. I would just really like to see a more film-accurate version down the line...

Dr. Rex: Ohh...this is a great figure. It reminds me of how creepy and cool the character was in the film, but I never had a figure that came with "Removeable-Wig Action". (lol) That's a new one. Seriously, it reminded me of how pathetic the character seemed when (SPOILER ALERT!!) he revealed himself to his old friend Duke. I don't know why, it just really struck me as sad and creepy all at the same time when he revealed his scarred bald head. This figure is highly detailed and looks great holding his case of nanomite canisters.

Accelerator Suit Duke: I initially balked ever so slightly at the thought of the Accelerator Suits concept, but I keep warming up to them more and more as time goes by, although I didn't loathe them like many fans do. But this figure looks great, although I'm assuming it's just an AS Ripcord body with a Duke head, but no big deal; it's a use of the mold that makes perfect sense, although I think the paint is darker and there are more paint apps. But this is one of two figures I didn't open. I did notice that he doesn't have a goatee like the card-art shows. Hmm...

PP Baroness: Aw yeah...this figure rocks. I have her holding her mini-machine gun up in the same pose she was in during the scene where she's riding the elevator up to the roof of that building in Paris. I just need to paint a tiny trickle of blood on her head, and it'd look just like the real thing. Nah...I'm too anal to paint my figures. (lol) And this figure comes with some great extra weapons. Very cool...

PP Storm Shadow: Something always bothered me about this figure. Maybe it was the head; for some reason, in the packaging the head looked huge to me, and the paint on his hair always looked off in places. But this figure for some reason looks way better in-hand. I really like how Storm Shadow appeared in his PP scenes, so this is another great figure for me.

Sgt. Stone: I'll echo what others have said in that this is just a great solid yet generic figure. I loved that Brendan Frasier had a cameo in the film, but...I kinda wish that the figure more resembled him for it. Maybe he wanted it to be an uncredited role, and therefore Hasbro couldn't use his likeness. But I really like this figure.

Arctic Assault Storm Shadow: Heh...this figure just looks like the designers at Hasbro couldn't truly decide what to do with it. He has the wounds and the ripped-off shirt like in the film, but then it looks like he's got a silver steel cable wrapped around him for a sash or belt or something, like he dug it out of the wreckage of the base (lol), and he has these cheesy looking gauntlets that look like a Rob Liefield afterthought, along with a generic, plain-looking bo staff/stick, and a white jet-pack(?) that doesn't match the white of his costume. (lol) I thought it was a cool figure that maybe portrayed (ANOTHER SPOILER ALERT!!!) Storm Shadow's survival from his fall at the end of the film, but this figure just looks like it wasn't well thought-out or designed. It's the only ROC figure I'm disappointed in, although I've not opened it yet. Meh, maybe it'll grow on me...

Neo-Viper: Yes! I loved these guys in the film, and the figure does not disappoint. It's highly detailed and looks great holding his weapon. He doesn't hold the other rifle he comes with very well though, which was a let-down because I thought it looked better than the one he's packaged holding. Sweet-looking figure though. I could easily army-build these...

There you have it, my cool finds and subsequent impressions. I just don't know what the world's coming to. I mean, yeah...I'd like to have alot of these on mint cardbacks, but...I'm having a blast just opening them and enjoying them. What a concept, huh. (lol) Now if I could only find General Hawk...

his visor looks like it's resting too high up on his face

That is the main problem I had with this figure. I smooshed the visor down more on the nose than maybe it was designed to be, but to me it looks better that way.

I'm sure this has been mentioned a million times, but one of the nicest things about ROC figures is the way that the packaging is designed. It's very easy to pull the cardboard that is attached to the bottom of the blister away without tearing it. It is possible to then take a razor or hobby knife and carefully cut the blister in such a way that the inner blister tray slides right out. You can then place your figure back in the packing if you wish, and it looks as if it has not been opened.

I picked up the Doc and Paratrooper today.

Paratrooper is really a ton better in these colors. I never understood all the brightness they put on the 25th version

I picked up the Doc and Paratrooper today.

Paratrooper is really a ton better in these colors. I never understood all the brightness they put on the 25th version

25th para makes a great movie shockblast with a vest and hat with the para gear taken off

I found two Paris Baroness's today! Finally! So now I am just needing the Arctic SE and I will be done with the line for the most part from what I can tell. Oh and DB, i saw quite a few Ripcords today and none had the abb armor painted! Pretty big mass screw up I would say! As far as the Baroness I kinda think its very over rated. Not really better than the other one imo

Draven