History Of the DC Universe

zeekzin

well

i collect DC universe in the 6 inch scale. meaning ill get whoever hasnt been made yet, so ya i got the creeper, manhunter and Blue devil.

and now dcuc is making figs which si cool but i hate it when i get repeats and dont need them, ala, animal man, luther in green suit, a few others.

mostly i think dcd has the best sculpts but lack the articluation that dcuc obviously has.

i hate it when i have 2 of the same figs and have to deciede which one to keep, i.e. eradicatior.

It sounds like we are very similar with our collecting. I got the exact same figs you did for the exact same reasons. I also hate doubling up. I'll have 2 Animal "Men" which I normally avoid, but what are the odds of getting a B'wana Beast down the road?

With the exception of Black Lightning, I highly suspect I'll end up replacing Blue Devil and Creeper eventually when DCUC does a better job.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure I'll be the minority here, but I really LOVE this line. I didn't think they looked as good as DCUC, but once I opened them up, boy was I wrong. I had to do a side by side comparison with History figures versus DCUC for myself, and I gotta tell you, the "History" figures look fantastic out of the package.

The sculpts are very well done actually. There are tiny details where there need to be, such as with Black Lightning's belt or The Creeper's furry gloves and boots, yet the simple, rounded anatomy gives them a classic comic-book look that is lost on some of todays figures, which IMO are sometimes TOO detailed. I don't care how tight your spandex is, you just simply don't see every vein on a persons body through fabric.

The articulation could have been better, but it's more hidden than it is on the DCUC, and I like that. I think most of us collectors aren't playing with our figures much anyway. If you're like me, you pose 'em a few times, and they end up on the shelf, and boy do these look good on the shelf!

I personally love the new buck body, as it really makes the line consistent. I'm sure we'll be getting a new slender buck, a teen buck, and a female buck at some point, but the parts reuse is a good thing, not a bad thing. It will help keep costs down and insure a greater variety of characters get made.

As far as the paint goes, it is just perfect. I couldn't find a single flaw on any of the figures from wave 1 or 2. I cannot say the same with the Mattel figures. I also like the large, chunky feel of the "History" figures. They've got a nice weight to them, and feel like you're getting your money's worth. The size reminds me a lot of the way the Super Powers figures felt in my hands as a child.

All said, I think this is a great line, and hope it lasts a lomg time.

I encourage anyone having second thoughts to pick up at least one. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I really wanted to like this line but in this day and age of twenty bucks a figure, I've got to pick and choose. This line is just not offering enough quality for the price tag comic shops have to stick on these.

A lot of people have complained that these figures don't have a trace of George Perez in them and I agree. Having said that though, I'm not one who was looking forward to this line specifically because it was promoted as having been based on Perez's artwork. It was certainly a plus for me but it wasn't an absolute necessity. DC though does come across as disingenuous when they keep insisting that these figures are based on Perez's art. They just don't look it and even this line's few fans don't seem to buy it.

As a prediction ...and I know this isn't really a bold one... I expect this line to just go away after the next two waves come out next year. From what I see, NO ONE is buying this line. Wave One took forever to leave my LCS. Wave Two continues to sit there.

A lot of people have complained that these figures don't have a trace of George Perez in them and I agree.

They should have done like Marvel did in the seventies when they made that KISS comic and had George Perez bleed into the vats while they were mixing the plastic. That way, people would have to say that there's a trace of George Perez in them.