History Of the DC Universe

zeekzin

So we now have 2 waves of HOTDCU. What are everyone's thoughts?

When this wave was announced I was excited to hear it was based on Perez's art.

I thought that the First Appearance Nightwing as well as the Teen Titans figures that were based on his work were dead on. I could have told you it was based on Perez with just a glance. Very nice figs.

The history figures so far seem to have no resemblance to the work of Mr. Perez. They are far too animated in appearance for my liking. Blue Devil and The Creeper in particular. ( I do love the shoulder carpet though).

If I had to some it up in one line....

Excellent character selection with poor execution.

No sale here. They look OK but between DCUC and other DC Direct offerings, there are pleanty of other versions of most of these characters that are better than OK. And I don't know what other people's LCS are charging but they're $20 a pop here. Nope.

Not really digging them to tell you the truth. The articulation isnt really all that good/useful and it ends up hurting the sculpt a bit so what's the point. Normally DCD figures do sculpts better to me. I saw the batman figure and he was really unimpressive and for some reason some monster size hands that just didn't match up with his arms.

Yeah, I hear what you're all saying. So far Black Lightning is the only figure I actually like, though again I like the bravery of using felt on the Creeper's shoulders.

No scales on Aquaman's chest. No scales!!! Just paint. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

Yeah, I hear what you're all saying. So far Black Lightning is the only figure I actually like, though again I like the bravery of using felt on the Creeper's shoulders.

No scales on Aquaman's chest. No scales!!! Just paint. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

Yeah in this day and age collector figures should go lazy on the sculpting details and still expect to charge 15-20 bucks.

It seems this line is really dividing up the fans with more of them giving it a thumb's down. DC once stated that this line would have the most wave of any DC Direct line. I wonder if this will be true. Despite all the complaints, I do see the figures selling at my LCS. My LCS, though, orders figures very conservatively so if he has just TWO customers who wants these, he'll move the two sets he orders.

I think there o.k. but then I haven't bought any of them yet.

Really? But their Aquaman is such a true representation of your avatar!

Hahahahhahahaha.

Ah not really. :Phttp://forums.toynewsi.com/index.php?showt...;#entry16583737

I think there o.k. but then I haven't bought any of them yet.

Really? But their Aquaman is such a true representation of your avatar!

Hahahahhahahaha.

Thats pretty funny! Thanks for the laugh!

:)

I love the idea of this series so much! I agree, however, that the execution is off. These figures do NOT look like Perez drawings come to life. I like Blue Devil, Creeper and Manhunter the best since this is the first time they've been made in this size. But they have problems. Manhunter's blades don't fit his arms, his pouty lip is ugly and the ribcage joint makes him have poor posture. Creeper's yellow seems off to me somehow, and his physique should have been slimmer.

For the future waves I'm really looking forward to Ocean Master, Kal-El Nightwing and Kobra for sure. There are several characters who are featured in the History of the DC Universe book that I hope show up in this line...Krona, Granny Goodness, Cinnamon, Johnny Thunder and Thunderbolt, Mera, Obsidian, Atomic Skull, Black Orchid, Amazing Man, Sportsmaster, Jade, Red Star...and many many more. But I do wish they looked more like Perez' artwork.

I love the idea of this series so much! I agree, however, that the execution is off. These figures do NOT look like Perez drawings come to life. I like Blue Devil, Creeper and Manhunter the best since this is the first time they've been made in this size. But they have problems. Manhunter's blades don't fit his arms, his pouty lip is ugly and the ribcage joint makes him have poor posture. Creeper's yellow seems off to me somehow, and his physique should have been slimmer.

For the future waves I'm really looking forward to Ocean Master, Kal-El Nightwing and Kobra for sure. There are several characters who are featured in the History of the DC Universe book that I hope show up in this line...Krona, Granny Goodness, Cinnamon, Johnny Thunder and Thunderbolt, Mera, Obsidian, Atomic Skull, Black Orchid, Amazing Man, Sportsmaster, Jade, Red Star...and many many more. But I do wish they looked more like Perez' artwork.

The thing that gets me is that DCD showed they can do good Perez inspired figures in the past. I loved the Titans figures and the 1st appearance Nightwing. Shame they didn't get the same sculptors. I wonder why they are even saying it's based on his art. I'd be more gracious if they didn't raise my expectations.

I have Series 01 and I love them because they don't break easily also the paint jobs look great,

the only things I don't like about them is the stands and batman is a little heavy and the inner Thigh is like most dcd figs but outsid of that I love them. @optimus@ @rambo@

Michael Crawford has a pretty good review of the History of the DC Universe Batman. Here's the link to the review.

Hmmm...

I agree with most of his points but I think he might find himself in the minority with this one:

"If you're a fan of Perez' artwork, then you won't be disappointed with the general style of this figure. They've done a decent job of capturing the look, particularly what you saw back in books like Batman Year 3."

Michael Crawford has a pretty good review of the History of the DC Universe Batman. Here's the link to the review.

Hmmm...

I agree with most of his points but I think he might find himself in the minority with this one:

"If you're a fan of Perez' artwork, then you won't be disappointed with the general style of this figure. They've done a decent job of capturing the look, particularly what you saw back in books like Batman Year 3."

Yeah, I looked at the figures today at my local store and I just couldn't see George Perez artwork depicted in any of them.

I didn't like the Aquaman at all either....

We could probably pick this line apart detail by detail but then we could probably do that with any line. For me, the BIG problems with this line are as follows...

1. These figures are ridiculously expensive. I know there are many reasons for this... inflation, the direct market, etc etc... the bottom line though is that these figures are going for sixteen to twenty bucks and I'm not seeing that value in these sculpts.

2. With DCUC around, this line really had to fight to retake the top spot as the premiere provider of the DCU in action figure form. These minimally detailed sculpts with their twenty dollar price tag aren't going to do it.

3. I've never cared for the artist-specific lines but a Perez line would've forced me to make an exception. As just about everyone else has said, there's not much of Perez in these very generic designs. If DCUC weren't around raising the bar, I'd probably find these sculpts to be ...adequate. DC can say it all they like, but just calling these figures "Perez based" doesn't make them so.

A few minor observations...

1. My Batman has a hernia from carrying around his own cape!

2. Why...WHY...in this day and age of the escalating costs of plastic, does DC insist on inching their figures towards a larger and larger scale?? Part of why these figures fail to impress is that their blandness is even more evident on the near 7 " scale that these figures measure. At that size, we want to see more detail!

3. Those puny bases are almost worthless.

4. That mid-torso joint IS worthless.

5. Not even a batarang for Batman? Do you realize what you are charging for these, DC?

6. To end on a positive note, I really like my Silver Age Green Arrow and the Black Lightning looks good too. Neither one is worth the twenty bucks, but both are nice figures.

Hmmm...

Yeah, I looked at the figures today at my local store and I just couldn't see George Perez artwork depicted in any of them.

I didn't like the Aquaman at all either....

I'm kind of suprised you didn't like at least some aspects of the HOTDCU Aquaman figure. As a fan of Golden Age comics who uses an image of Aquaman from that era as an avatar, one that seems to suggest that in that era Aquaman didn't wear a chainmail shirt, I'd imagine you may appreciate the style they went with on the HOTDCU figure. Since it, like your avatar, simply has an orange shirt, not a shirt made of chainmail.

I know, I know, your avatar isn't Aquaman.

Poor Captain Triumph (the one from the comics). If only he could talk. I imagine he'd say, "MY shirt isn't orange. It's red!"

• Like 1

I was very much on the fence with these figs, & I will definitely say that the initial pics had me totally unimpressed, especially considering that I'm a very big DCUC fan.

Once I saw them in hand though, my tune changed. Don't get me wrong, they're very hit & miss, but I appreciate the fact that DC Direct is FINALLY making a line of "generic", iconic versions of characters, as opposed to all their artist specific stuff, which I feel, has outstayed it's welcome.

I've picked up Green Arrow, Black Lightning & Creeper, & trust you me, they are quite nice. Is there room for improvement? Yes, but the line has potential.

I like them. Gives me a shot at all those filler characters that you wouldn't normally see in the lines they've been running. When I started out collecting toys again, my goal was to have a complete roster of JLA figs. This line might make that finally happen! :)

well

i collect DC universe in the 6 inch scale. meaning ill get whoever hasnt been made yet, so ya i got the creeper, manhunter and Blue devil.

and now dcuc is making figs which si cool but i hate it when i get repeats and dont need them, ala, animal man, luther in green suit, a few others.

mostly i think dcd has the best sculpts but lack the articluation that dcuc obviously has.

i hate it when i have 2 of the same figs and have to deciede which one to keep, i.e. eradicatior.