New Sculpt era figs, you still love!

revsears

I'm like a lot of folks, i ditched JVC/vvv etc to go 25th style. In many ways it stank hard. I honestly doubt i'd stay in the collecting game if we ever have another incompatible switch, that side some of the Jvc era guys still stand tall and proud on display.

Bats: okay these weren't the best but any of em from any era seem to be okay to display they are robots! ignore the height and articulation difference, just model changes. This goes for Overkill too. The end of the VVV era one is especially odd looking but with a alley viper face plate he makes for a very neat Cyborg leader.

Although they don't have the same articulations I can't ditch the sand vipers from the JVC eras. Their design was amazing and i think they are among the best cobra troops we have ever recieved. Their height is pretty comparable to the 25th line so they are safe for now.

The IG's are another set of JVC era figs i love. The design is simple and i use them as early gen IGs once i take off the cobra gear. The grey ones scheme has got me contemplating picking up another 25th era one and trying my hand an upgrade.

What about you guys, any you still love after all this time has passed? Maybe just heads you had to transfer over?

Personally I still have a lot of love for the JvC era figures. Sure that first wave with the T-crotch's weren't great, but it showwed Hasbro that there were still a lot of people that like 3 3/4 inch Joes. I think much of the time figure were hit andhe tail end of miss, but by the time we got near the end of VvV going towards what would have been/became Robot Rebellion/DTC Hasbro was doing great design wise we had just got burned out with some many repaints (sound familiar).

out of the new sculpt figures I only still have those gold sand vipers (which make great iron grenadiers imo)and the bats ...not the latter goat looking ones the v3 and 3.2 i think they were. and i'm trying to sell/trade all of my night creepers at the moment

I really liked the first neo vipers. even w/ the wierd turned hand they look fantastic holding thier weapons i also really really liked the T crotch wet suit, he was the best of that era.

btw- i have huge bags full of gijoe vs cobra era parts if anyone is interested? pm me

TM

I still like these figures. I can't count how many gold Sand-Vipers and Tele-Vipers I have due to those single packs from Dollar General. Some of the JvC stuff is still neat, and reminds me of a time where GI Joe wasn't a collector-only line. Hasbro was still trying to make stuff for kids at that point, and while I spent the entire time JvC was being made wishing for a line like the 25th, these do have their place in Joe history.

That and the DTC line was some great stuff. The SAW Viper, Footloose, Low-Light, and Spirit are some of my favorite-ever Joes.

I'm a straight up BUYER and COLLECTOR! :)

No buyin'.. then tradin'.. or sellin' off of ANYTHING!

I have all the lines of G.I.Joe and within each, I have favorites and I have the duds as well. If I was to ever discard any of it, it would be the T-crotch figures that barely lasted a wave or so.

The 25th style is still slowly growing on me, as more and more continues to come along with it, but there's high points and low points to all of it....since the very beginning, and I'm keeping it all.

I've started to funnel my new sculpt figures to my step sons. I'm replacing them with 25 Ann. figures, although no-where near the strength that I had with new sculpt.

I used to use new sculpt to crew vehicles and playsets, but since I'm getting rid of them, I have to re-think what I'm going to do with all the large pieces I have.

I'm not interested in having as large a collection as I did with new sculpt and RAH, so I might salt what I have with a mix of new sculpt and 25th.

Looking back on them most of em sucked imo, I just bought them because they said GI JOE. I am much more picky no a days about collecting. I do still have a few on display with my 25th joes. Bombstrike, Cover Girl, Low Light and Jinx is all that is left. I had others like Spirit and Tunnel Rat up there but they got boxed as soon as the 25th ones came out. I hope to someday replace Jinx and Lowlight. The old Cover Girl I can live with if we never get another.

Draven

The VVV wave 6 Snow Wolf is still a big favourite. Also really love the single-packed Neo-Vipers (got six more for $3 at the con!), Bombstrike, Cover Girl, and I'm sure a few others that I can't remember right now...

I really liked the Dr. Mindbender from VvV, the BATs, Barrel Roll, Bombstrike, Sand Vipers, Tele-Vipers, IGs, Torpedo, and most of the DTC stuff. As far as vehicles, The Night Attack Chopper and Patriot Grizzly are heard to beat, despite the sound attack crap. And no one can deny the awesomeness of the RHINO or the ROCC from the DTC era.

What we got out of JvC, Spy Troops, VvV, and DTC was an evolution of the brand, new takes on old characters. 25th style stuff, as great as it is, is simply taking what we knew as kids in the '80s and presenting it with modern sculpting and manufactoring techniques. What gets me excited about the stuff from the con is that it's a combination of both of these ideas. The characters are evolving, but I can still look at them and say 'oh, thats Recondo, or Beach Head, or Firefly'. They're modern updates using modern techniques, but still recognizable as classic characters.

THere were some that were definately winners. I like Bombstrike, Interrigator, and most of the DTC figures were OK by me. There were a lot that were real duds though, some downright hideous figures. The thing about that line was you never knew when you were going to get your figure made decently or when they were going to decide to make them with wacked out proportions. One thing good going for the vintage and the modern line is that you can count on uniform proportions.

LIke many i'm a big fan vvv mindbender, bombstrike and also some others not mentioned (i think) like guillotine and blackout. But all of em are getting up grades to 25th form by me (slowly)

I've already done Barrel Roll and I love the stall storyline.

Part of the problem with bombstrike and all the later females (jinx + scarlet too) are that they were just so small! i'm not even sure ic an use their heads for anything in 25th scale.

I really liked the SpyTroops Destro. I don't know why. I know his proportions are a bit off, and his head looks tiny, but he just seems to work for me. I always thought his old look was a bit too over the top.

I think MAJ Barrage will always be one of my favorites. I was also a fan of Venomous Maximus. I remember him being so much larger than the regular VvV guys at the time, but with the 25th line, he doesn't really seem that big at all. If I include him in any dio pics, I have to make sure I get good angles or have the right sized troops around him.

It's funny how I remember when VvV Wave 7 Snake Eyes came out, everyone was proclaiming him to be the best Snake Eyes ever, and now he hardly ever gets mentioned anymore. I wasn't ever really a fan of that version. Never really sat right with me for whatever reason.

I did enjoy the SS update in VvV. I loved the Cobra logo being incorporated with his mask.

I liked the Spy Troops Overkill much more than the VvV version. I think he could still work with the 25th line.

I just went though mine yesterday. Some real winners include:

Dart

SAW Viper

Bombstrike

Crimson Guard (DTC)

Salvo (DTC)

Spirit (DTC)

Grand Slam (DTC)

Crosshairs

VvV Hawk

VvV Snake Eyes

Barrel Roll (DTC-great figure!)

Interrigator

Major Bludd (DTC-one of my favorite versions of the figure)

I even like T crotch guys like Duke, Neo Viper, and that Destro.

I really liked the Dr. Mindbender from VvV, the BATs, Barrel Roll, Bombstrike, Sand Vipers, Tele-Vipers, IGs, Torpedo, and most of the DTC stuff. As far as vehicles, The Night Attack Chopper and Patriot Grizzly are heard to beat, despite the sound attack crap. And no one can deny the awesomeness of the RHINO or the ROCC from the DTC era.

What we got out of JvC, Spy Troops, VvV, and DTC was an evolution of the brand, new takes on old characters. 25th style stuff, as great as it is, is simply taking what we knew as kids in the '80s and presenting it with modern sculpting and manufactoring techniques. What gets me excited about the stuff from the con is that it's a combination of both of these ideas. The characters are evolving, but I can still look at them and say 'oh, thats Recondo, or Beach Head, or Firefly'. They're modern updates using modern techniques, but still recognizable as classic characters.

That's what i loved too. I also am looking forward to the upcoming guys like recondo. I well admit some updates were better than others. I can't stand classic mindbender for example, but jvc/era recondo just didn't seem like recondo to me. The new one however does.

as neat as some of the classic figs are, i like many of them for nostalgia purposes, but take the 013 for example. Look at just how painfully plain they are. No camo, no real protection in the field, these guys would get slaughtered. I'd love to see more of them get the upgrade treatment, maybe not as far as say Flash,but in more modern looking fatigues with some real gear.

I have a lot less love for them than I used to. Honestly, a lot of them were bad though I still display a few of them along with my 25th stuff. Blackout and Interrogator seem to blend in fairly well considering their height. VvV Barrelroll still looks decent though is a bit small like most of the figures from that era. Bombstrike won't be coming down even though the proportions on new sculpt females were always a bit off. And Zaranna and Jinx are still on my shelf only because Hasbo doesn't seem to have any intention to make new ones.

heck no!

GvC/JvC sucked! I am so glad that I skipped them all. Saved a ton of money.

I bought most of the RAH repaints that came out in two packs, but I skipped everything else.

I think the only new sculpt era figure I ever bought on purpose was BBQ, or was it Blowtorch? I can't even remember. He is like green with gold armor pads and a helmet. I thought he was cool at the time.

I skipped the rest, and never saw anything that made me regret it