Target Exclusive: Grand Slam w/Air Assault Review

Newton

Who's a man of breakfast infamy and Bludd bashin' bad assery? GRAND SLAM! GRAND SLAM! Check out this full review of the Target exclusive version of this original Joe team member. With plenty of comparisons to previous Grand Slams to help you decide which is the definative version of James Barney!

3831377550_dbe2f6147c.jpg

http://infinitehollywood.blogspot.com/2009...ir-assault.html

3831379948_0a02f6b94b.jpg

Thanks for checking it out and don't forget to comment on the blog, you might win a prize!

A NINE out of ten?!??? A NINE????

This figure is cobbled together from spare parts and it gets a NINE?!? If it had a unique head, a seven would be generous.

A TEN would be an absolutely perfect figure. A NINE would make it one of my most prized posessions, something I'd brave a raging fire to save!

You see out that window? There went credibility!

This figure is cobbled together from spare parts and it gets a NINE?!? If it had a unique head, a seven would be generous.

A TEN would be an absolutely perfect figure. A NINE would make it one of my most prized posessions, something I'd brave a raging fire to save!

I think if you actually read the review Newton has a love for this guy as a character, that always affects the score. To him it's a nearly perfect version of this character.

I think if you actually read the review Newton has a love for this guy as a character, that always affects the score. To him it's a nearly perfect version of this character.

Maybe he's not familiar with the history of the character. Or how personal rating systems work?

I didn't realize this version would have a blue tint instead of silver. A little disappoint. Now I gotta decide to track down that crappy Night Spector or not.

@hmmm@

How much "credibility" does one need.. to give a PERSONAL review of an action figure toy? What kind of "credibility" are we to assume someone has...that criticizes a PERSONAL review of an action figure toy?

@smilepunch@

How much "credibility" does one need.. to give a PERSONAL review of an action figure toy?

As much credibility as it takes to separate an honest objective review from a gushing love letter.

The reviewer is free to have his opinion just as the reader is free to question it. I've stopped reading the reviews over at Hisstank because it was very, very, very rare for any figure to come in at anything less than a nine. A NINE!! On a scale of one to ten, they're saying that almost every figure is an ALMOST PERFECT possession. When a review comes in that gives a figure that is entirely thrown together from spare parts an almost perfect score, I've got to have my doubts about that review. I realize toy reviews are often corrupted by the reviewer's affection for a particular character, but if that affection can't be filtered from the review, the review loses all objectivity. It just becomes a fan letter. "This Grand Slam figure is perfect because I love Grand Slam!" Why bother reading that? He's perfectly free to feel that way and to post it for the World to read, but it's not very insightful.

How much "credibility" does one need.. to give a PERSONAL review of an action figure toy?

As much credibility as it takes to separate an honest objective review from a gushing love letter.

The reviewer is free to have his opinion just as the reader is free to question it. I've stopped reading the reviews over at Hisstank because it was very, very, very rare for any figure to come in at anything less than a nine. A NINE!! On a scale of one to ten, they're saying that almost every figure is an ALMOST PERFECT possession. When a review comes in that gives a figure that is entirely thrown together from spare parts an almost perfect score, I've got to have my doubts about that review. I realize toy reviews are often corrupted by the reviewer's affection for a particular character, but if that affection can't be filtered from the review, the review loses all objectivity. It just becomes a fan letter. "This Grand Slam figure is perfect because I love Grand Slam!" Why bother reading that? He's perfectly free to feel that way and to post it for the World to read, but it's not very insightful.

If they were to add a filter that automatically removed everything less than "insightful" from a website for toys and the shared discussion of them by the fans....

We'd be reading WIRE comments only. @haha@

I'll say no more though, as I do realize there's a happy medium somewhere between GUSHING FANBOY and RELENTLESS NAYSAYER and it's a nice place.

I'd buy it. I think the blue tint isn't that bad.

This is hardly a gushing fan boy talking about his love for a character. Obviously everything is subjective, but yeah I do think this is a near PERFECT Grand Slam. That's what I'm judging, Grand Slam. As someone who owns every other incarnation of Grand Slam, I think saying that this guy is about perfect is a fair assessment.

I give low scores all the time to a variety of figures.

Is this figure better than some of the other ROC figures out there? Probably not. But as a Grand Slam, yeah he's pretty awesome. Decent accessories, about average price.

I probably should have given him an 8 out of 10 on principle, but anytime I feel a figure is the best representation of a character to date, I give it a higher score (unless the previous incarnations were just abominations and therby anything would be better) and I don't think that's lacking credability at all.

In my view a figure made out of cobbled parts could very much be better than a figure with all new sculpting. It just depends on how it all pans out in the end. To me, this guy is a bit of a gem in that respect. But to me reviews aren't all about numbers. I provide pictures, explain the details and why things are the way they are so that you can decide for yourself. I don't know how much more insightful a review can be than to tell you everything about the toy and then show you pictures of it. At the end the scores are what I personally feel, but you're entitled to your own opinion, I'm just trying to offer up mine so that it might help you.

Your mileage may vary.

and it's greatly appreciated! :)