ROC Heavy Duty discussion

Inggasson

You might call me a total t00l n00b or whatnot, but I didn't know HD was British until I saw the movie, so I was quite pleased, and it did admittedly go some way toward alleviating my anger concerning the lack of RoadBlock as it seemed his physical dominance and frendliness toward Duke were split between HD and Ripcord. I thought it was pretty cool to have a Brit add the diesel power to the team.

Having seen the film, I'm hoping for a Paris Pursuit version of HD in his Matrix-style get-up, but then again I'm thinking the existing figures of him make him seem much shorter and fatter than he appeared on-screen... That kinda bugs me. He was a lot leaner and more muscular than the toy makes out...

Depends which version of the figure you have, the green camo and t shirt version is kinda short and chunky while the Reactive armor version is taller and leaner and muscular looking, at least to me anyway. Decide for yourself with these pics

post-7513-1250359748_thumb.jpg

post-7513-1250360526_thumb.jpg

Pes, is he not British in the comics or cartoons?

absolutely not. Heavy Duty's name is Lamont Morris. He was born in Chicago, Illinois. He is a heavy ordinance trooper.

I have no clue what the movie did to him, but I heard he is like a tech guy or something now.. and a leader of some kind... but in the REAL GiJoe universe, he is a scrub.

Breaker's real name is Alvin Kibbey, not Shabaz Barak Hussein Ali Obama.. or whatever the frick they named him for the movie. He is from Gatlinburg, Tennessee... which means he would be a southern country dude, not a middle-eastern guy.

And Ripcord is a white guy, that was of little importance in the Joe Universe...

I just don't get why they didn't make new characters. If they wanted them to be so different, then what is the point of keeping the names?

Political correctness gone bonkers most likely.

Then again, it's not really as if they were short of Joes of various ethnicities etc anyway. I'm sure they could have used Big Ben if they wanted a Briish guy on the team that badly.

Very odd.

Depends which version of the figure you have, the green camo and t shirt version is kinda short and chunky while the Reactive armor version is taller and leaner and muscular looking, at least to me anyway. Decide for yourself with these pics

I like the Green shirt Mr Eko figure personally. So, if Heavy duty is British? Is Roadblock Irish?:)Having Flashback to David Grier's Black Irish Routine on In living color:) lOL

Pes, is he not British in the comics or cartoons?

absolutely not. Heavy Duty's name is Lamont Morris. He was born in Chicago, Illinois. He is a heavy ordinance trooper.

I have no clue what the movie did to him, but I heard he is like a tech guy or something now.. and a leader of some kind... but in the REAL GiJoe universe, he is a scrub.

Breaker's real name is Alvin Kibbey, not Shabaz Barak Hussein Ali Obama.. or whatever the frick they named him for the movie. He is from Gatlinburg, Tennessee... which means he would be a southern country dude, not a middle-eastern guy.

And Ripcord is a white guy, that was of little importance in the Joe Universe...

I just don't get why they didn't make new characters. If they wanted them to be so different, then what is the point of keeping the names?

Its a lose, lose situation. If they had taken Ripcord, Heavy Duty, and Breaker, and given them new code names, there would be a sizable amount of fans who would complain that in a movie called G.I. Joe, half the cast were unestablished characters. They probably figured the lesser loss would be to go with name recognition, and the people who would complain about the changes to the characters. I tend to agree with that opinion.

At least they took those three obscure Joes, that have never had that much characterization, that many causal fans probably never heard of before. Its not as if they made Roadblock British, Wild Bill black, and Beachhead Moroccan.

Heavy Duty was my favorite thing about the movie, one of the few things I even liked.

uh oh.. you are gonna get some people mad at you by talking about Breaker as "unestablished" @lol@

I just started reading the comics and he was big time in there.

But for me, I don't like him. My communications man is Dialtone

uh oh.. you are gonna get some people mad at you by talking about Breaker as "unestablished" @lol@

While I do have a problem with Breaker being Morrocan or whatever, it didn't bother me as much as the fact that his character was so dang wormy. I don't care if youre the tech guy, you don't have to Poindexter. Grow some. I just wanted him to pick up a rpg and waste some vipers, and it never happened.

post-881-1250473334_thumb.png

post-881-1250473415_thumb.png

Main WOMAN now, apparently @smilepunch@

Heavy Duty was one of the ones I liked in the movie. I didn't care for the movie overall, but I liked his peformance along with Baroness and Breaker.

Those toys are a different story for me. The one in the green, every one I saw had eyes painted in the back of his head like he was possessed. It also reminded me of a toy from the Jurassic Park line. Just missing some miniature velociraptor or something.

Reactive Armor looked much better, but still nothing worth bragging about. I think there is a desert version coming in 2010. There is no Paris Pursuit figure coming. I would have liked one of those myself.

I preferred Dial Tone over Breaker as my communications man.

Key word was man. :P

I do not want to create an international incident and even though I have yet to see the movie I think all the Joes should be U.S. citizens because they are "Real American Heroes." Heavy Duty should have stayed American. I honestly cannot see why Hasbro let these changes go through. I have no problem with Ripcord but why does he need to be black. G.I. Joe has plenty of great characters who are African American. I would rather have seen Stalker because at least a triangle with Scarlett and Snake Eyes would have made more sense and dramatic. Again, I have yet to see the movie so I am speculating. No offense to any nationality, creed, race, color, or gender but leave the characters we know as they are. I have to admit I am a little bothered that Storm Shadow is played by a Korean. Apparently there must not have been and Japanese or Japanese-Americans availabe that day. Also, I wish that Olga Kurylenko would have been cast as the Baroness. She has the look and accent with having to chaange a thing.

Found this being offered on eBay by sicdunbine. Looks like an interesting HD kit-bash with Buzzer's chainsaw and other random accessories.

DSCN1764.JPG

After looking about, I found that toyssir8982009 had one loose with free shipping... so I took the plunge.

While I do have a problem with Breaker being Morrocan or whatever, it didn't bother me as much as the fact that his character was so dang wormy. I don't care if youre the tech guy, you don't have to Poindexter. Grow some. I just wanted him to pick up a rpg and waste some vipers, and it never happened.

Well, you want to keep your communications guy out of the line of fire as much as possible. He is your link to the guys getting your ass out of the fire.

I didn't have a problem with the changes to the characters. My only complaint was with Ripcord. His character was nothing like what you would expect a guy named Ripcord to be. The name Ripcord implies a paratrooper, but he was not that at all. Neither the job he had, nor the job he wanted. He would have just as easily been Stalker or Airbourne.

I have always liked Breaker as my communications guy sitting in the HQ while Dial Tone is out in the field.

• 4 weeks later...

Having actually got Bench-Press in-hand, it's obvious that Hasbro have fixed the bloated look of the HD torso by lengthening and thinning out the lower portion. Hopefully we geta revised HD soon.

Aside from that, I finally got sick of the stupidly huge gun HD came with and switched it with a better looking Chap Mei Chain gun thing modified with a proper Joe bullet-belt linking it to the ammo back-pack.

hd1p.jpg

hd2r.jpg

I do not want to create an international incident and even though I have yet to see the movie I think all the Joes should be U.S. citizens because they are "Real American Heroes." Heavy Duty should have stayed American. I honestly cannot see why Hasbro let these changes go through. I have no problem with Ripcord but why does he need to be black. G.I. Joe has plenty of great characters who are African American. I would rather have seen Stalker because at least a triangle with Scarlett and Snake Eyes would have made more sense and dramatic. Again, I have yet to see the movie so I am speculating. No offense to any nationality, creed, race, color, or gender but leave the characters we know as they are. I have to admit I am a little bothered that Storm Shadow is played by a Korean. Apparently there must not have been and Japanese or Japanese-Americans availabe that day. Also, I wish that Olga Kurylenko would have been cast as the Baroness. She has the look and accent with having to chaange a thing.

I think it is because both the U.S. is not seen in that favorable a light in the world community and that world conflicts probably SHOULD be handled by a "world" organization, not just the U.S. (part of why the world isn't that favorable towards the U.S.). They were trying to "update" things.