2009 G.I. Joe Con: The Hasbro Panel

The Wire

This is just a teaser. Have to think that because we can't see squat.

Cobra Commander Mail Away: Meh. He comes with some kind of little tank thingy. Whoopie! Remember when mail aways were worth it?

Sand Serpent w/Star Viper: Is the Night Raven even selling? Hopefully the Star Viper is at least interesting. Hope makes it APPEAR to resemble the RAH version (probably the same way the Aero Viper does).

Snow Cat w/White Out: I wonder if it has been updated like the other vehicles?

Fury w/Alley Viper Officer: I wonder why they couldn't call it the "Rage". Oh well. Should be interesting. Too bad you can't see the Alley Viper Officer clearly.

Armored Panther w/Outback: Who the hell wants ANOTHER Armadillo? Just throw Outback as single and stop with this crap.

G.I. Joe Cycle Armor w/Aschiko: Total conundrum for me. I'd really have to see it in person. If it fails, they could always try to do a Robotech line lol.

H.I.S.S. Attack Scout w/Sand Viper: It has a "Paralyzer" feel to it. It also looks like a custom you could make as a kid by taking the top of the H.I.S.S. off the treads lol. Wonder what the Sand Viper is repainted from.

paralyzer.jpg

Ice Cutter w/Snow Serpent Officer: Arctic Buzz Boar? lol.

Recondo: The artwork looks good. Hope the figure does too.

Jungle Viper: Are those wings?

Jungle Strike Duke: I woulda guess he was Tunnel Rat if I hadn't seen the name.

Desert Battle Ripcord: Is that a mechanical vulture?

Desert Battle Zartan: Looks interesting.

Arctic Assault ELITE Ice Viper: How come no Ice Vipers in the movie? This guys probably just a straight repaint. Oh but he comes iwth TWO missiles :rolleyes:

Arctic Threat Snow Job: Looks like his gear has a lot of detail.

Jungle Assault Ripcord: Looks interesting.

All the other characters shown? Not worth even discussing, based on the pics.

Its nice to see theme sets. Hopefully we will see other CHARACTERS.

What is the deal with all the city assault guys having swords? Gimme a break.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering I'm mainly a transformers collector and just like that whole japanese-mecha style in general, I actually like a lot of the stuff I'm seeing, especially the bike armor, hiss tank, and that sniper looking viper with the metal cape. Plus, as someone said, I do see that whole metal gear/ halo vibe coming from them too. But I can also understand why the more "traditional(?)" joe fan wouldn't like them.

hmm.. they are getting pretty crazy with Joe now.. it is straight anime!

I don't get why they won't do a classic line and a ROC line... probably because they know that people will just buy the classic stuff mostly.

But Starwars has their Legacy Collection, and their Clone wars animated line... why can't Joe have two?

the best thing show are the custom 25th figures.. man I want that HEAT viper

and I am sad that they can't do the Terrordrome. They did the pit, why not the Terrordrome (which would sell 10x better)

dude!

there is a picture of the terrordrome in there, and they label it. That has to mean that it is coming out right!!?!?!?!!?

i said the same thing. i was not talking about the building of the terrordrome, i was talking about the one in the panel discussion in the jungle photo. that terrordrome looks very different than the old rah one. god i hope its true! anything's better than that pos pitt. too bad if its only a custom, guess only time will tell!

I HATE HASBRO CUSTOMS. there like chicks who wear skimpy outfits and say that you are degrading them by looking at it! Awsome to look at BUT YOU WONT GET ONE! on a side note resolute BEachhead= AWSOME~!

I don't get why they won't do a classic line and a ROC line... probably because they know that people will just buy the classic stuff mostly.

But Starwars has their Legacy Collection, and their Clone wars animated line... why can't Joe have two?

Sales, sales, sales. The reason G.I. Joe can't get two lines is because it's not as popular as Star Wars or Transformers. Furthermore, Star Wars only got two separate lines because the "animated" style of the Clone Wars figures was too different from the "realistic" figures they were already making to keep them all the same line. If Hasbro had made the Clone Wars figures in a "realistic" style we would not have gotten two separate lines. We'd have gotten nothing but Clone Wars for 6 months to a year (just like Hasbro does for every single movie product they have, so G.I. Joe isn't being treated any differently), and then they'd have started mixing "classic" product back in.

But the main point being: Until G.I. Joe starts selling like an A-List brand again (which it has the chance to do with the movie product) there's no way in hell retailers are going to accept two separate lines. If the retailers won't accept it, Hasbro isn't going to do it, period. It's real easy for us to say "just make two lines Hasbro!" But Hasbro has more to answer to than message board fans, and contrary to popular belief, don't have unlimited funding to make this stuff, nor unlimited power to force retailers to carry it.

As for the stuff, most of it looks awesome, and most of the people declaring "craptastic" apparently need to get their eyes checked, especially if they're also crying "why can't we get more Resolute?" If you take a good look at those figures, most of them look like they could've stepped right out of Resolute. In many cases they look like they'd fit in better there than in the movie-verse. If you search around and see the actual pictures of the figures, they're some of the most detailed Joe figures ever made, and fantastic modernizations of old favorites (I mean c'mon, no one here has mentioned that "Jungle Viper" is just "Night Viper" with a new name?)

I don't know if some of you are being negative just to be negative, or if you're just the hardest-to-please crowd on Earth, but 90 percent of the stuff they've shown from the con is pretty dang amazing, even if it's not "classic" product.

Man, I am severely underwhelmed with what's being offered. I think I'm really only liking one item - the Snow Cat. I have to think that's probably because I love the old style, but there is just way too much out-of-this-world stuff there. I mean, come on - a motorcycle that turns into a mech? WTF? A repaint of a crappy Night Raven redux? It's all just a bit too futuristic for me.

I will say this though, I'll probably end up getting a good few of those figs and just re-name them.

Sales, sales, sales. The reason G.I. Joe can't get two lines is because it's not as popular as Star Wars or Transformers. Furthermore, Star Wars only got two separate lines because the "animated" style of the Clone Wars figures was too different from the "realistic" figures they were already making to keep them all the same line. If Hasbro had made the Clone Wars figures in a "realistic" style we would not have gotten two separate lines. We'd have gotten nothing but Clone Wars for 6 months to a year (just like Hasbro does for every single movie product they have, so G.I. Joe isn't being treated any differently), and then they'd have started mixing "classic" product back in.

But the main point being: Until G.I. Joe starts selling like an A-List brand again (which it has the chance to do with the movie product) there's no way in hell retailers are going to accept two separate lines. If the retailers won't accept it, Hasbro isn't going to do it, period. It's real easy for us to say "just make two lines Hasbro!" But Hasbro has more to answer to than message board fans, and contrary to popular belief, don't have unlimited funding to make this stuff, nor unlimited power to force retailers to carry it.

As for the stuff, most of it looks awesome, and most of the people declaring "craptastic" apparently need to get their eyes checked, especially if they're also crying "why can't we get more Resolute?" If you take a good look at those figures, most of them look like they could've stepped right out of Resolute. In many cases they look like they'd fit in better there than in the movie-verse. If you search around and see the actual pictures of the figures, they're some of the most detailed Joe figures ever made, and fantastic modernizations of old favorites (I mean c'mon, no one here has mentioned that "Jungle Viper" is just "Night Viper" with a new name?)

I don't know if some of you are being negative just to be negative, or if you're just the hardest-to-please crowd on Earth, but 90 percent of the stuff they've shown from the con is pretty dang amazing, even if it's not "classic" product.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and what you've just written was yours. It wasn't fact, nor any type of confirmation on anything. So while many may think these look "craptastic", they in no way have anything wrong with their vision.

And while the Jungle Viper may have attributes that constitute an homage to the Night Viper, it is not a Night Viper no matter what a fan may think. It's a Jungle Viper in the ROC based line, and that IS a fact.

Seems I'm yet AGAIN at a disconnect with the G.I.Joe fanbase? :(

I'm seeing TONS of stuff that is just beyond COOL with the toyline! I'm reading lots of complaints and overall lack of enthusiasm about the stuff, but I'm not sharing the same discouragement.

Besides the movie stuff, they're adding in all kinds of classic (unrelated to the movie) figures and vehicles (although I'll admit I'm not so impressed with the NEW vehicles) so it would seem that there's an awful lot of something for everyone?

I wondered the same thing when I saw the slide that said TerrorDrome. Could there be one coming out soon? Hmm One can never tell. I really like the artwork of Recondo and its about time we get a good version of him.

I like the HISS tank but I am waiting till i see it in person to make the final decision. Also, I am happy the RAGE is being rereleased.

Overall, I am ok with it, but I was hoping for a little more.

I love the Joe alien customs. I totally want those! Sucks that they're customs. That werewolf figure is really cool too. I wonder what the bases are?

Man, I am severely underwhelmed with what's being offered. I think I'm really only liking one item - the Snow Cat. I have to think that's probably because I love the old style, but there is just way too much out-of-this-world stuff there. I mean, come on - a motorcycle that turns into a mech? WTF? A repaint of a crappy Night Raven redux? It's all just a bit too futuristic for me.

I will say this though, I'll probably end up getting a good few of those figs and just re-name them.

One thing I noticed is that movie screwed up the Night Raven. The cockpit lowers BELOW the plane for the pilot to get in. Granted they couldn't do that in a REAL plane, I guess, but then they threw in that sonic cannon (or whatever the hell it was) right under the nose while the toy has those lame engine missiles.

Seems I'm yet AGAIN at a disconnect with the G.I.Joe fanbase? :(

I'm seeing TONS of stuff that is just beyond COOL with the toyline! I'm reading lots of complaints and overall lack of enthusiasm about the stuff, but I'm not sharing the same discouragement.

Besides the movie stuff, they're adding in all kinds of classic (unrelated to the movie) figures and vehicles (although I'll admit I'm not so impressed with the NEW vehicles) so it would seem that there's an awful lot of something for everyone?

Not entirely. First, the pics are NOT easy to see so its hard to get a good feel for them.

Secondly, a lot of fans are a little put off they are doing all these new molds for what seems to be a "new line" yet STILL seeming to ignore the classic RAH looks. I think everyone will be happy with a mix of new and old...just so long as the old get some new molds instead of the endless rehash of "Shipreck body + Gung-Ho head = Cutter". We want Cutter, not Gung-Ho in a sailor suit (or at the VERY least some new damn heads so we don't have Breaker dressed up like Crank Case).

a lot of fans are a little put off they are doing all these new molds for what seems to be a "new line" yet STILL seeming to ignore the classic RAH looks. I think everyone will be happy with a mix of new and old...just so long as the old get some new molds instead of the endless rehash of "Shipreck body + Gung-Ho head = Cutter". We want Cutter, not Gung-Ho in a sailor suit (or at the VERY least some new damn heads so we don't have Breaker dressed up like Crank Case).

Especially when all that boring reuse (and abuse) of parts and head sculpts to make other characters was excused away (by some) as a means of "keeping production costs down, so we don't end up paying $8-$9 for them!" @hmmm@ yeah....RIGHT!

I wish they would do some vehicles that could actually fit several joes inside. They don't even have to be huge! It just seems that most vehicles now are giant pieces of plastic, filled with action features, that can hold 1 figure inside. maybe two.

My favorite vehicles when I was little were the ones I could put a few figures in and transport a little team to a mission.

For example, the Desert Fox. It has stations for 4 figures, without using footpegs, and it is slightly bigger than a VAMP jeep. Why can't they do more stuff like that?

I wish they would do some vehicles that could actually fit several joes inside. They don't even have to be huge! It just seems that most vehicles now are giant pieces of plastic, filled with action features, that can hold 1 figure inside. maybe two.

My favorite vehicles when I was little were the ones I could put a few figures in and transport a little team to a mission.

For example, the Desert Fox. It has stations for 4 figures, without using footpegs, and it is slightly bigger than a VAMP jeep. Why can't they do more stuff like that?

Exactly. Remember the Ringneck? Most of us thought it would make for an excellent troop transport if they would have removed the sound garbage and opened the back.

man i hear you. i want them to fit more then one fig also. as thats the whole point to vehicles id for joew to ride in them.

90% of this i wont buy its like the 90s all over agin. bright colors spring loaded guns. this is why i got out of joes in the first place. so for the next 2yrs hasbro will lose alot of cash from me. my wallet is so happy. me im not happy with where they are taking joe. its another sw sci fi gundam line. man its nuts. they are trying to cover the figs with some cool gear. but the figs are still very bad looking. well most of them. that ripcord with the jet pack reminds me of robo cop 3

I'm getting a real "Metal Gear Solid" type vibe off a lot of the new figures--an aesthetic that I personally find very appealing. Kudos to Hasbro for going this route--there's a lot of interesting stuff to looking forward to next year.

the best thing show are the custom 25th figures.. man I want that HEAT viper

and I am sad that they can't do the Terrordrome. They did the pit, why not the Terrordrome (which would sell 10x better)

man i hear you with this give us 2lines to make everyone happy.

I'm getting a real "Metal Gear Solid" type vibe off a lot of the new figures--an aesthetic that I personally find very appealing. Kudos to Hasbro for going this route--there's a lot of interesting stuff to looking forward to next year.

and this right here is why i dont feel like this is joe anymore.^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUOTE (ARROW @ Aug 16 2009, 01:07 AM) *

Well, I look at the older stuff as being like pablum.

I outgrew pablum and something new is on the plate.

Seeing the same old stuff rehashed to look like it always has...........frankly, its gets boring. I want to see what a designer can do, what some imagination brings to the concept.

I think some of these new figures are amongst the most exciting GIJOE stuff I have seen in years.

I've slacked off a lot from my Joe buying and toys in general, but a lot of the newer items I'm seeing here are - to me at least - pretty damned amazing. I like the new style and the new vibe. Sure. For a few years nostalgia has pushed the Joe line, but there is nothing wrong (in my eyes) with expanding and adding new characters and mythos.

When GI Joe originally came out we looked forward to old favorites redone and new characters added to the story. And to me, at least, I can do this again. I'm liking a lot of what I see and definitely want to add a good number of these to my collection. I'm happy with what I see.

'Nuff said.

QUOTE (ARROW @ Aug 16 2009, 01:07 AM) *

Well, I look at the older stuff as being like pablum.

I outgrew pablum and something new is on the plate.

Seeing the same old stuff rehashed to look like it always has...........frankly, its gets boring. I want to see what a designer can do, what some imagination brings to the concept.

I think some of these new figures are amongst the most exciting GIJOE stuff I have seen in years.

man i dont mind updates to them ie resolute was the best of the best. the new line is just to sci fi for my tastes if i wanted sci fi i would buy SW.

I haven't seen much that I want to buy here. So I will be saving a lot of money on Joes again next year.. which is really a shame..

I mean, I really want to buy Joes. I really dig the 25th line, and I am not against good ROC figures (for example, I love the TRU Firefly. and I dig the PP Snake Eyes and new Flash figure, even though I call him something else).

But this stuff is just way too weird, and just kinda stupid on a lot of it. They are just missing the mark too much for me.

like that cobra? guy with a mask and dreadlocks. WTF is that supposed to be? looks hella stupid to me.

or Recondo, not a bad figure, but why can't he have any green or tan on him like the original? He is a jungle trooper right?

And what is with everything getting these funky camo patterns?

and the vehicles.. how come all the vehicles are either small, or repaints of stuff that just came out within the last year, or both?

And can you stop shoving those awful new Vipers into every pack/vehicle set?? They stink!

@lol@... where have all the Gijoes gone?

Meh I like the Jungle Viper and the Motorbike/armor thing. It reminds me of Bubblegum Crisis.

Some of the stuff has potential to see in person maybe, but as for now I just picked up the Skysweeper and Snarler Cycle and I'm done for the year with Joe.

Oh and I'm really digging the 2010 Artic series, along with that HISS tank and the Target exclusives! I mean a Black trubble Bubble!!! how awesome! I like the Rasta Viper, one love brodah.