2009 G.I. Joe Con: The Hasbro Panel

The Wire

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and what you've just written was yours. It wasn't fact, nor any type of confirmation on anything. So while many may think these look "craptastic", they in no way have anything wrong with their vision.

Yes, most reasonable adults could have figured that out for themselves, but hey, if you feel the need to spell it out for them, more power to you. However the level of detail clearly observable on these figures is not an opinion. It's an easily-witnessed fact.

And while the Jungle Viper may have attributes that constitute an homage to the Night Viper, it is not a Night Viper no matter what a fan may think. It's a Jungle Viper in the ROC based line, and that IS a fact.

OK, so riddle me this: Is "Spc. Altitude" not "Classic Ripcord" because Hasbro changed his name on the 7 packs? Is the Ghost Hawk not a Sky Hawk or the Sting Raider not a Water Moccasin? Once you get a toy out of the package what Hasbro calls it is irrelevant. We know what it's supposed to be.

That Jungle Viper is without a doubt meant to be a modernization of the Night Viper. They just changed the name because A: It fits the Jungle theme better that way and B: They probably want to avoid confusion with "Night Adder."

Yes, it's a "fact" that that figure will be sold as "Jungle Viper" in the RoC line, but only the most anal-retentive of fans wouldn't see it for what it's clearly meant to be. If this guy had come out on a 25A styled card (Or especially a "Resolute" styled card) as "Night Viper" people would have been foaming at the mouth looking for him and probably declaring him one of the best G.I. Joe figures ever. If you're not a MOC collector (in which case the decision is more understandable), then what difference does the package an awesome figure comes in make?

Here's another question/litmus test for some of you on not liking the "newer" designs for old characters (Recondo, Snow Job, Firefly, Jungle Viper, etc...): If these characters in those designs had walked across the screen for 2 seconds in Resolute, or were coming out on 25th/Resolute cardbacks, would you be all over them?

hmm.. they are getting pretty crazy with Joe now.. it is straight anime!

I don't get why they won't do a classic line and a ROC line... probably because they know that people will just buy the classic stuff mostly.

But Starwars has their Legacy Collection, and their Clone wars animated line... why can't Joe have two?

Sales, sales, sales. The reason G.I. Joe can't get two lines is because it's not as popular as Star Wars or Transformers. Furthermore, Star Wars only got two separate lines because the "animated" style of the Clone Wars figures was too different from the "realistic" figures they were already making to keep them all the same line. If Hasbro had made the Clone Wars figures in a "realistic" style we would not have gotten two separate lines. We'd have gotten nothing but Clone Wars for 6 months to a year (just like Hasbro does for every single movie product they have, so G.I. Joe isn't being treated any differently), and then they'd have started mixing "classic" product back in.

But the main point being: Until G.I. Joe starts selling like an A-List brand again (which it has the chance to do with the movie product) there's no way in hell retailers are going to accept two separate lines. If the retailers won't accept it, Hasbro isn't going to do it, period. It's real easy for us to say "just make two lines Hasbro!" But Hasbro has more to answer to than message board fans, and contrary to popular belief, don't have unlimited funding to make this stuff, nor unlimited power to force retailers to carry it.

As for the stuff, most of it looks awesome, and most of the people declaring "craptastic" apparently need to get their eyes checked, especially if they're also crying "why can't we get more Resolute?" If you take a good look at those figures, most of them look like they could've stepped right out of Resolute. In many cases they look like they'd fit in better there than in the movie-verse. If you search around and see the actual pictures of the figures, they're some of the most detailed Joe figures ever made, and fantastic modernizations of old favorites (I mean c'mon, no one here has mentioned that "Jungle Viper" is just "Night Viper" with a new name?)

I don't know if some of you are being negative just to be negative, or if you're just the hardest-to-please crowd on Earth, but 90 percent of the stuff they've shown from the con is pretty dang amazing, even if it's not "classic" product.

I have to counter that with something. Star Wars and G.I. Joe are both geared towards collectors as much as kids. Yes Joe is not as popular, but a LOT of Star Wars toys aren't as kids oriented as you might think, even the clone wars stuff. Kids weren't buying that "Disturbance at the Lars Homstead" or those Clone War multipacks.

In fact, EVERY store, literally, here has the same 12 (give or take) figures on the pgs, both clone wars and legacy.

And lets not forget the quality (articulation) on most Star Wars figures SUCKS. They are like little statues with movable arms. If there weren't vehicles in the line, they wouldn't even HAVE leg articulation (and there are MANY that don't). So part of why Star Wars is "more popular" is they can crank out a lot of guys because the quality is lesser.

Besides, who said anything about 2 seperate lines really? EVEYRONE would be perfectly happy to see a figure that looks like RAH Techno-Viper or RAH Frostbite (and be said characters lol) in movie packaging.

Basically, if we get what we want we don't really care what "line" it is in.

I'm seeing a lot of really nice designs here. My biggest problem is the lack of new characters.

Not just that, old characters too.

If we are having a "jungle set" why not include Muskrat? Big Brawler? Claymore? Footloose maybe?

And the arctic set. Do we REALLY need "artic" Duke and "artic" Snake Eyes? While cool, how about Iceberg? Sub Zero? a REAL Frostbite, or Blizzard?

I have to counter that with something. Star Wars and G.I. Joe are both geared towards collectors as much as kids. Yes Joe is not as popular, but a LOT of Star Wars toys aren't as kids oriented as you might think, even the clone wars stuff. Kids weren't buying that "Disturbance at the Lars Homstead" or those Clone War multipacks.

Given how many of those Disturbance at the Lars Homestead" packs are clearanced at TRU now, collectors weren't buying them either. But the Clone Wars multipacks? You bet the kids buy 'em. In fact, the Legacy (realistic) collection sales have slowed down in the last year, while Clone Wars sales grew in the last year according to Hasbro's reports and Q & As. That certainly indicates stronger kid interest...many so-called "collectors" (myself included) are ignoring the Clone Wars line altogether, save for the vehicles.

In fact, EVERY store, literally, here has the same 12 (give or take) figures on the pgs, both clone wars and legacy.

Anecdotal evidence is no evidence at all. My stores situation seems to be different. The pegs are full, sure, but it's different figures on the pegs from week to week.

And lets not forget the quality (articulation) on most Star Wars figures SUCKS. They are like little statues with movable arms. If there weren't vehicles in the line, they wouldn't even HAVE leg articulation (and there are MANY that don't). So part of why Star Wars is "more popular" is they can crank out a lot of guys because the quality is lesser.

No, the articulation on most modern (last 2-3 years) Star Wars figures is not remotely as bad as you make it out to be (at least in the Legacy Collection). There are not "Many" figures that lack leg articulation unless you go all the way back to PotF2 era or earlier. They're not as articulated as Joes, but they are not "statues with moveable arms." The sculpting detail and paint apps are easily on par with the Joe line, if not superior. The overall quality of Star Wars figures is not significantly less than G.I. Joe figures. Plus Hasbro has to pay licensing fees to Lucasfilm, so actually Star Wars figures end up costing -more- than Joe figures in most cases.

Besides, who said anything about 2 seperate lines really? EVEYRONE would be perfectly happy to see a figure that looks like RAH Techno-Viper or RAH Frostbite (and be said characters lol) in movie packaging.

There are several people that have said "2 lines Hasbro." Including the poster I was originally responding to (Clam I believe it was). There seem to be lots of collectors that will not be satisfied with anything other than a full-blown return to 25A/ME card-art and figures.

Certainly, there are lots of more reasonable fans that would be happy with classic figures regardless of how they're packaged, but there are absolutely several people that keep harping about "separate lines."

the thing there are not that many core characters to get back to in the 25th line. they covered a good portion with the 2 new 7 packs (though many of the joes could have been done better). who do you guys really want raptor, fridge, big boa? of course i do want some awesome trooper goodness like the techno viper, heat viper, & desert scorpion but we can't have everything.

No, the articulation on most modern (last 2-3 years) Star Wars figures is not remotely as bad as you make it out to be (at least in the Legacy Collection). There are not "Many" figures that lack leg articulation unless you go all the way back to PotF2 era or earlier. They're not as articulated as Joes, but they are not "statues with moveable arms." The sculpting detail and paint apps are easily on par with the Joe line, if not superior. The overall quality of Star Wars figures is not significantly less than G.I. Joe figures. Plus Hasbro has to pay licensing fees to Lucasfilm, so actually Star Wars figures end up costing -more- than Joe figures in most cases.

More so then your willing to admit though. There is still a significant number that have limited articulation (not counting short guys like Jawas or Yoda). And how can quality NOT be less when you have T-Crotches?

Do you want examples? Take a look at several of the comic packs. But I suppose you could just deny lesser articulated figures exist. So I guess this is all moot.

There are several people that have said "2 lines Hasbro." Including the poster I was originally responding to (Clam I believe it was). There seem to be lots of collectors that will not be satisfied with anything other than a full-blown return to 25A/ME card-art and figures.

Certainly, there are lots of more reasonable fans that would be happy with classic figures regardless of how they're packaged, but there are absolutely several people that keep harping about "separate lines."

Actually, that is something I didn't consider. I"m an "opener" but there are a lot of MOC collectors. Even so, you have to ask yourself, as a collector, "do I want to have the figures, even if it means packaging I don't like or, basically, no figure at all?"

Perhaps that sounds doomsayer or "oh noz, death to the line!" but it is actually a valid point. When it comes down to it, what is most important? The packaging or the item IN the packaging?

the thing there are not that many core characters to get back to in the 25th line. they covered a good portion with the 2 new 7 packs (though many of the joes could have been done better). who do you guys really want raptor, fridge, big boa? of course i do want some awesome trooper goodness like the techno viper, heat viper, & desert scorpion but we can't have everything.

What do yo mean by "core characters" anyway?

There are PLENTY of characters (popular or not) that could be done.

Airtight, Cross Country, Low-Light, Jinx, Techno-Viper, W.O.R.M.S., Hardball, Road Pig, Zandar, Zarana, Iceberg, Snow Serpent version 2, Deep Six version 2, Frostbite, Law & Order, Skystriker (hell, he can be made right now, just repaint the parts like the original), Oktober Guardsmen, various "version 2 and 3s" of different guys. And, yeah, I'd like Big Boa.

More so then your willing to admit though. There is still a significant number that have limited articulation (not counting short guys like Jawas or Yoda). And how can quality NOT be less when you have T-Crotches?

Do you want examples? Take a look at several of the comic packs. But I suppose you could just deny lesser articulated figures exist. So I guess this is all moot.

I never denied lesser articulated figures exist, nor that Star Wars has less articulation than G.I. Joe. If you look at the bolded portion above, I outright stated that fact. You however, seem adamant on denying that anything but articulation determines the quality of figures, and on unnecessarily exaggerating the differences ("Statues with moveable arms"). If I gave you a 4" tall unpainted blank humanoid shape with 32 points of articulation you'd consider it a high-quality product?

The fact that you conveniently glossed over is that most humanoid figures in the Star Wars Legacy Collection line, and particularly those designed for "action oriented roles" have articulation that's more than adequate for that role. Hasbro's policy on the Star Wars line is to try to strike a balance between articulation and aesthetic...whereas with G.I. Joe the policy shifts slightly more towards "articulation." Though if G.I. Joe had a multitude of shorter-than-average and nonhumanoid characters, I'd bet you'd see figures with less articulation in the Joe line, too.

Clearly, the millions of people that collect Star Wars seem to feel they're getting a quality product. Clearly articulation is not the sole arbiter of what constitutes "quality." You might not like them, and that's fine, but that doesn't make them "low quality."

Actually, that is something I didn't consider. I"m an "opener" but there are a lot of MOC collectors. Even so, you have to ask yourself, as a collector, "do I want to have the figures, even if it means packaging I don't like or, basically, no figure at all?"

Perhaps that sounds doomsayer or "oh noz, death to the line!" but it is actually a valid point. When it comes down to it, what is most important? The packaging or the item IN the packaging?

That depends on the individual collector. For you and I the package is pretty irrelevant. For others it prevents them from buying the item altogether.

However many of the "2 Lines" proponents aren't just harping about the packaging. They say "2 lines" because they want Classic/Resolute Joe to have a line as robust and plentiful as RoC is, not just "dribs and drabs" sprinkled throughout the line. Unfortunately that's an unrealistic expectation.

Did I see Gundam Death Sythe in there????

I think thats why i like some of these figures more than the other 25th figures.. i loved gundam wing and the gundam figures when i was younger. while most of these don't remind of gi joe, they do remind me of gundam and other anime type stuff...which is why i'll be buying some in the future :)..oh and i like the predator figure!

I think thats why i like some of these figures more than the other 25th figures.. i loved gundam wing and the gundam figures when i was younger. while most of these don't remind of gi joe, they do remind me of gundam and other anime type stuff...which is why i'll be buying some in the future smile.gif..oh and i like the predator figure!

Since they're going that route it would be kinda neat if they started adding model numbers for the vehicles. Its ultimately just technical jibberish, but I always thought it added a bit more realism to the vehicles. It would also be cool if they made custom vehicles for key characters or higher ranking soldiers, say for example, Destro's HISS tank, which would be a HISS tank with a unique paint scheme, more powerful cannons, and maybe a stronger engine for faster speed, much like Char's Zaku from Gundam was more agile and faster than a standard zaku.

I think thats why i like some of these figures more than the other 25th figures.. i loved gundam wing and the gundam figures when i was younger. while most of these don't remind of gi joe, they do remind me of gundam and other anime type stuff...which is why i'll be buying some in the future smile.gif..oh and i like the predator figure!

Since they're going that route it would be kinda neat if they started adding model numbers for the vehicles. Its ultimately just technical jibberish, but I always thought it added a bit more realism to the vehicles. It would also be cool if they made custom vehicles for key characters or higher ranking soldiers, say for example, Destro's HISS tank, which would be a HISS tank with a unique paint scheme, more powerful cannons, and maybe a stronger engine for faster speed, much like Char's Zaku from Gundam was more agile and faster than a standard zaku.

they made that blue trouble bubble for CC :)

i've been meaning to customize some hiss tanks for my IG....

I wish i taken better care of all my gundams! they were so great. I'll have to see if i can find whats left of them lol I had the pink char's zaku and that pimped out red one... a couple regular green ones and a camo patterned one...let the the hunt begin!

I never denied lesser articulated figures exist, nor that Star Wars has less articulation than G.I. Joe. If you look at the bolded portion above, I outright stated that fact. You however, seem adamant on denying that anything but articulation determines the quality of figures, and on unnecessarily exaggerating the differences ("Statues with moveable arms"). If I gave you a 4" tall unpainted blank humanoid shape with 32 points of articulation you'd consider it a high-quality product?

The fact that you conveniently glossed over is that most humanoid figures in the Star Wars Legacy Collection line, and particularly those designed for "action oriented roles" have articulation that's more than adequate for that role. Hasbro's policy on the Star Wars line is to try to strike a balance between articulation and aesthetic...whereas with G.I. Joe the policy shifts slightly more towards "articulation." Though if G.I. Joe had a multitude of shorter-than-average and nonhumanoid characters, I'd bet you'd see figures with less articulation in the Joe line, too.

Clearly, the millions of people that collect Star Wars seem to feel they're getting a quality product. Clearly articulation is not the sole arbiter of what constitutes "quality." You might not like them, and that's fine, but that doesn't make them "low quality."

Sorry, I think was getting a little bit antagonistic. When I made that comment I was actually looking at figure that fit that definition. It was a Han Solo, currently for sale at TRU's site that had fully articulared arms but had, literally, NO leg articulation other than the t-crotch for sitting down. And a lot of the comic pack figures, for example have quite limited articulation in much the same way (some of them have that weird ass "slanted elbow" thing going).

And I don't think your anecdotal comments about Star Wars collectors wholy apply since there are a lot of people that will collecting ANYTHING Star Wars lol. Partly because we are arguing a bit of semantics (like earlier when I said "many" and you were defining it). When Hasbro tried to do the T-Crotch thing with Joes, we complained and the went back to O-Rings. Do Star Wars collectors see the same thing and think "eh, good enough"? I know you will say "no" lol and, to some extent your right but to some extent there are a lot that ARE saying that.

I never said that anything but articulation defines quality. But it IS a significnat factor. Why should it not be? You yourself said it is a balance between asthetics and articulation. How is it we can get some Joes with a LOT of "aesthics"...and Joe articulation? How can I have a Joe figure with a lot detailing and maintain articulation when your saying it is amounting to "either/or"?

Either I'm going to get a figure with less articulation that LOOKS amazing or I'm going to get a figure with a ton of articulation that doesn't look so good. I may be speaking out of turn, so forgive me if I'm putting words in your mouth, but that is what it sounds like your saying.

I think Hasbro should have the alternative lines (resolute, 25th ARAH) sold DTC and keep their ROC and POC (which is basically the same universe it seems) via mass retail. Then they'll find out the real interest of each line....

if retailers don't want many lines I think this would be a good way to please fans while also pleasing retailers. We, as collectors, could definitely keep those DTC lines alive since there's a strong demand for keeping the 25th line alive and also to give Resolute more attention...

just my two cents.. #US1#

I think Hasbro should have the alternative lines (resolute, 25th ARAH) sold DTC and keep their ROC and POC (which is basically the same universe it seems) via mass retail. Then they'll find out the real interest of each line....

if retailers don't want many lines I think this would be a good way to please fans while also pleasing retailers. We, as collectors, could definitely keep those DTC lines alive since there's a strong demand for keeping the 25th line alive and also to give Resolute more attention...

just my two cents.. #US1#

I hate to break it to you... DTC wouldn't sell... They already tried it once. Different product construction, same product.

-Kevin

I hate to break it to you... DTC wouldn't sell... They already tried it once. Different product construction, same product.

-Kevin

well, I've spoken to a few Hasbro reps and they claim the DTC product helped get the interest from retailers to bring the line to mass retail when Sigma 6 was the main line. Also, we have to look at how the newer 7 figure packs are doing...from what I can tell they are and will do just fiine. That could also be applied to these unreleased 25th and Resolute figures. even if we get only box sets as opposed to single carded figs....

Sorry, I think was getting a little bit antagonistic. When I made that comment I was actually looking at figure that fit that definition. It was a Han Solo, currently for sale at TRU's site that had fully articulared arms but had, literally, NO leg articulation other than the t-crotch for sitting down. And a lot of the comic pack figures, for example have quite limited articulation in much the same way (some of them have that weird ass "slanted elbow" thing going).

The articulation on many Star Wars figures is well-hidden by the sculpt (part of that whole aesthetics/articulation balance thing). There are a lot of figures out there that have ball-jointed knees that you don't see because they're "tucked" into the folds of the pants or hidden at the top of boots, etc.. That Han Solo figure may have more articulation than you think it does. I don't know for sure because I'm not sure which Han Solo figure we're discussing. Unless it's very old or some kind of repack or something, chances are it does indeed have knee articulation, and probably a ball joint to boot.

The first wave of comic packs did have figures with lesser articulation in some cases. The later waves have improved significantly in that regard. Hasbro does still occasionally produce figures with "slit elbows" or a lack of knee articulation, but in most cases these are relegated to background characters (Senators, Cantina Patrons, etc...) that have less of an action-oriented role. Figures that generally appeal mostly to a few particular types of collector who likely aren't going to care much that his Senator McTwosecondsofscreentime figure can't perform Olympic gymnastic routines.

And I don't think your anecdotal comments about Star Wars collectors wholy apply since there are a lot of people that will collecting ANYTHING Star Wars lol. Partly because we are arguing a bit of semantics (like earlier when I said "many" and you were defining it). When Hasbro tried to do the T-Crotch thing with Joes, we complained and the went back to O-Rings. Do Star Wars collectors see the same thing and think "eh, good enough"? I know you will say "no" lol and, to some extent your right but to some extent there are a lot that ARE saying that.

If G.I. Joe had come out in the early 80's with a T-Crotch, nobody likely would have complained when they did it in the early 2000's. Star Wars has been (with a handful of exceptions in recent years) a T-Crotch line from the beginning, so yes, nostalgia plays a part in it. And no, Star Wars collectors don't always just say "good enough." Many of them are constantly asking Hasbro for more and better articulation on the figures. Over time, Hasbro has generally complied, but (again, with a couple of exceptions/experiments) they draw the line at replacing the T-Crotch...at least for now. Still, we've gone from figures that averaged 6 points of articulation to figures that average 18 or so in about 15 years.

I never said that anything but articulation defines quality. But it IS a significnat factor. Why should it not be? You yourself said it is a balance between asthetics and articulation. How is it we can get some Joes with a LOT of "aesthics"...and Joe articulation? How can I have a Joe figure with a lot detailing and maintain articulation when your saying it is amounting to "either/or"?

Either I'm going to get a figure with less articulation that LOOKS amazing or I'm going to get a figure with a ton of articulation that doesn't look so good. I may be speaking out of turn, so forgive me if I'm putting words in your mouth, but that is what it sounds like your saying.

Yes, you are putting words in my mouth. I said a "balance" between articulation and aesthetic. Star Wars skews slightly towards aesthetic, and G.I. Joe slightly towards articulation. You did also strongly imply that articulation is the most important aspect of quality ("How can a figure with a T-Crotch be high quality?"), whereas I never implied that it wasn't a factor in the overall quality, just that it wasn't the only one, nor necessarily the most important (because that's for the individual collector to decide).

I'd also note that much of Joe's "aesthetics" come from web gear that is separately sculpted and applied to the figures (particularly in the 25th and RoC lines). Star Wars figures generally don't lend themselves well to that approach, due to the drastic difference in costume design. Finally, I'd also note that there does seem to be a point where a figure that's overloaded with articulation does start to suffer a bit in the looks department.

Gotta say, I liked a lot of what I saw at the panels, and also saw some stuff that was kind of "meh". I dig the camo Armadillo, Snow Cat and Night Raven, and I really like the Jungle/Night-Viper (once they explained the smart ghillie suit concept I was sold instantly). Most of the other figures were pretty boring to me, though.

The new HISS tank looks pretty sweet, and I'm digging the Cycle Armor... but to be quite honest, I wasn't blown away by anything they had to show.

Gotta say, I liked a lot of what I saw at the panels, and also saw some stuff that was kind of "meh". I dig the camo Armadillo, Snow Cat and Night Raven, and I really like the Jungle/Night-Viper (once they explained the smart ghillie suit concept I was sold instantly). Most of the other figures were pretty boring to me, though.

The new HISS tank looks pretty sweet, and I'm digging the Cycle Armor... but to be quite honest, I wasn't blown away by anything they had to show.

explain.... lol you mean those aren't wings? i need better pics of it!!! anyone? anyone at all?

The first wave of comic packs did have figures with lesser articulation in some cases. The later waves have improved significantly in that regard. Hasbro does still occasionally produce figures with "slit elbows" or a lack of knee articulation, but in most cases these are relegated to background characters (Senators, Cantina Patrons, etc...) that have less of an action-oriented role. Figures that generally appeal mostly to a few particular types of collector who likely aren't going to care much that his Senator McTwosecondsofscreentime figure can't perform Olympic gymnastic routines.

That's true. the joints ARE hidden nicely in some cases.

Yes, you are putting words in my mouth. I said a "balance" between articulation and aesthetic. Star Wars skews slightly towards aesthetic, and G.I. Joe slightly towards articulation. You did also strongly imply that articulation is the most important aspect of quality ("How can a figure with a T-Crotch be high quality?"), whereas I never implied that it wasn't a factor in the overall quality, just that it wasn't the only one, nor necessarily the most important (because that's for the individual collector to decide).

I'd also note that much of Joe's "aesthetics" come from web gear that is separately sculpted and applied to the figures (particularly in the 25th and RoC lines). Star Wars figures generally don't lend themselves well to that approach, due to the drastic difference in costume design. Finally, I'd also note that there does seem to be a point where a figure that's overloaded with articulation does start to suffer a bit in the looks department.

So what other factors define "quality"?

Some cool and interesting things I've seen here. Like the idea of themes, though I'm kind of surprised we aren't getting "Sea" or "Ocean" theme. The Mail Away Cobra Commader I think is probably the best verison of the Movie Look of the character, though that Jungle 1 also looks decent too.

Going to consider getting the TRU Desert Joe 5 pack, new Acrtic Snake Eyes with Timber(Going to try and get the 1st Paris Persuit Snake Eyes with Black Timber, so that I can then get my Grey Timber from this set), Resolute base/City Strike theme Scarlett and Snake Eyes, HISS, maybe Artric Destro, maybe mech suit motocycle(Depending on price), maybe Zartan depending on how he looks, maybe Jungle Storm Shadow, just to name a few.

Still, I was hoping that they would maybe state if they were going to resulpt both Barnoess's and Cover Girl's heads(Either as a running change, or for different figures), and for some reason, I was still expecting some more, espeically stuff based on the actual movie(Like Paris Persuit Scarlett, General Hawk in more Military Brass look, etc). Don't know why. Anyways, for the City Strike theme, I think maybe a re-release or a new sculpt of the Verison 2 Roadblock based would fit perfectly in this theme.

So what other factors define "quality"?

The ones I've already mentioned and then some: Paint applications (and how well they're applied), detail of the sculpt, durability of the overall product, accessories, even packaging/presentation for some folks. Every collector can decide for themselves what is important to them. For you, apparently having G.I. Joe levels of articulation or better is a necessity. For others that clearly isn't the case.

I've already mentioned many of these things before as factors of quality, and in many of those areas (particularly paint applications and sculpting detail) the Star Wars line meets or exceeds the Joe line. Once again, largely because Hasbro places a slightly higher priority on the "look" of the figure with Star Wars.