What constitutes someone as a DC Universe Scalper?

Daddyfett

I think the term "scalper" should be reserved for someone who buys everything just to turn a profit.

But you say that like its a bad thing.

Profiting isn't a problem, because you and I are allowed to profit as well, so to exclude anyone else from that means to excludes ourselves as well.

What seems to be the problem is with scalpers "buying everything".

The simple fact of the matter is they can't.

Its impossible.

Oh, sure, they can buy up a local supply, but not a regional or national supply. They simply do not have that kind of reach.

So knowing that, the key to beating scalpers is to simply buy in places where they cannot reach.

Scalpers won't rape the shelves, if no one buys from them.

True. Scalpers will also not buy up stuff that is stocked in abundance, because they depend upon restricted access ( and ignorance about access to flourish). The solution is mentioned above.

I can't wait until Mattel starts to sell their product online. You'll see who rapes your wallet. Whining about BBTS or other online retailers will stop, when you see what Mattel has in store for you.

The fallacy in this is the assumption that Mattel will try to fleece the market for all its worth.

I disagree with that notion. They WILL seek to profit, but they also know there's a price threshold where interest will drop off.

There's LOTS of models for this kind of thing, in many failed collectible ventures that over charged for their figures. My guess is that a $20-perhaps a $25- price for a 6" figure is about the limit of value collectors will go for, at the extreme. Beyond that, the majority of collectors buying Mattel products on-line will simply balk at paying more--especially if they perceive they are getting less.

The collecting demographic is small.........do not kid yourself...........Mattel is only making about 10,000 tops of these collectible ( re: MOTU etc) figures for Matty. Considering retail orders usually amount about 10 TIMES that unit allotment, and action figure sales have dropped steadily since the 90's--there's not a lot of great margins built in for to those numbers.

Mattel has to balance the risk of charging too much, versus charging too little, and having stock left over. They CANNOT warehouse leftover stock over a long-term--to make the exercise viable they have to sell-out and keep costs down on production.

There will come a point, if interest wanes just enough where Mattel will look at possibly raising the cost to $30 per, and will probably just call its quits because asking that will not be sustainable.

And if, by some outrageous fluke that collectors will bend over for that price level, then collectors will justly deserved to get their wallets raped out the ying yang--simply because they asked for it.

If scalpers are in every region their reach is infinite. I think you are hoping for a situation that is unrealistic. Star Wars figures (and previously meantioned Hot Wheels) are smaller and are stocked more heavily, but that doesn't seem to hinder them.

What I was going for about Matty collector, was that 2 packs and comicon leftovers are just the beginning. Wait until Matty starts with single exclusive for about $25-$30, then let the whining begin.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wild west show down lol

We talk about running into Scalpers

I wonder what happens when a scalper runs into another scalper?

They race to the Diecast isle, and whoever makes it to Hot Wheels first, then the other walks to the Disney Cars and they meet meet somewhere between Tranformers and Star Wars.

If scalpers are in every region their reach is infinite.

They are not in every region, so their reach is NOT infinite. They depend upon you believing what you wrote so you will succumb to buying from them. They simply cannot be everywhere all the time, and there's are simply too many retailers ( actual and potential) that can carry the stuff for scalpers to even partially sock up the supply.

I consider scalpers & toy stalker geeks the same breed. Toy stalker geeks hoard multiples of the same toy because they have nothing else, worthwhile, to do.

You are one of these if you:

wake every morning to line up for a store to open

stalk toy crates nightly

work at a store, mainly, for the toys

always have current releases in your collection

If any of these apply to you, seek help & got a life. Toys are fun but they should only be a hobby. If you dont agree, you are wrong.

We talk about running into Scalpers

I wonder what happens when a scalper runs into another scalper?

They race to the Diecast isle, and whoever makes it to Hot Wheels first, then the other walks to the Disney Cars and they meet meet somewhere between Tranformers and Star Wars.

LOL I was thinking it would be more vionent

I used to hit Walmart early in the am everyday when I used to work overnight

I would hit the action figure aisle which was across from Hot Wheels

A Hot Wheels guy would allways be auapicious of me until he seen that I only hit action figures

Then after that he allways wanted to talk

Well after reading most of this i in my heart understand that JJ needs or wants to make a few bucks thats what america is all about. But i have to side with opti on this some of your prices are way over what you offer. Meaning your chargeing way over a fair price when the figure is open/loose and no C&C part. I don't care who you know will pay those prices. It comes to be being fair

you can charge a fair price and still make money. Mike from mikes comics n stuff charges fair prices and is doing very well. It all comes down to what kinda seller you want to be. But i know from running my own business you can be reasonable and make profit.

you spend 20 sell it for 35 or even 40 not 120 the twins were 40 so i say 65 is a fair price since the damn gleek was FREE stop trying to charge for gleek damn. That to anyone selling any figures for way more than is fair.

I don't want to start any fights or am i bashing JJ I understand both side of the coin but again you can be fair selling a loose figure for 40 and no C&C peice is not only didhonest but down right rude to the buyer. I don't know what your selling any of this JJ that was just an example. But i have been to your store and months ago and to be honest burst out laughing at alot of your prices for loose figures and sick to my stomach for your prices on MOC stuff

I'm sure you have people who will buy that stuff all day and there either desprate or stupid. But they say a sucker is born every minut. I ain't mad at ya for trying to get your peice of the pie. Just think you could be more fair on most of your items. But that goes for anyone.

Any seller or trader on here. these boadrs are not only for fun but hopefully a community hell family if you will where we help one another out by being fair. And not just lets see how much i can get out of this or how much profit can i make.

Personally Just helping out another member is my payment and i may try to make 10 or 20 bucks for my trouble but i wont be like well i need to make 40 times whats its worth

Well after reading most of this i in my heart understand that JJ needs or wants to make a few bucks thats what america is all about. But i have to side with opti on this some of your prices are way over what you offer. Meaning your chargeing way over a fair price when the figure is open/loose and no C&C part. I don't care who you know will pay those prices. It comes to be being fair

you can charge a fair price and still make money. Mike from mikes comics n stuff charges fair prices and is doing very well. It all comes down to what kinda seller you want to be. But i know from running my own business you can be reasonable and make profit.

you spend 20 sell it for 35 or even 40 not 120 the twins were 40 so i say 65 is a fair price since the damn gleek was FREE stop trying to charge for gleek damn. That to anyone selling any figures for way more than is fair.

I don't want to start any fights or am i bashing JJ I understand both side of the coin but again you can be fair selling a loose figure for 40 and no C&C peice is not only didhonest but down right rude to the buyer. I don't know what your selling any of this JJ that was just an example. But i have been to your store and months ago and to be honest burst out laughing at alot of your prices for loose figures and sick to my stomach for your prices on MOC stuff

I'm sure you have people who will buy that stuff all day and there either desprate or stupid. But they say a sucker is born every minut. I ain't mad at ya for trying to get your peice of the pie. Just think you could be more fair on most of your items. But that goes for anyone.

Any seller or trader on here. these boadrs are not only for fun but hopefully a community hell family if you will where we help one another out by being fair. And not just lets see how much i can get out of this or how much profit can i make.

Personally Just helping out another member is my payment and i may try to make 10 or 20 bucks for my trouble but i wont be like well i need to make 40 times whats its worth

What consitutes a fair price?

I dont see how selling a figure loose is wrong or how selling a figure without a BAF peice is wrong?

Some people just want a figure and dont want the baf peice, some people want the Baf but not all the figures.

Selling them seperate helps out and reaches out to more people than selling them all together. Plus selling loose cuts on shipping charges. Id say 80% of my buyers are overseas and other countries that dont get these figs very often.

Plus you know what if you or anyone doesnt like my prices then you know what im not the only one selling on ebay.....so move along and keep looking till you find a price you are happy with.

im glad that you got a chuckle out of it.

Also dont know what MOC you are reffering to since I only have like 6 thigs that are still MOC. But all those are hard to find things and are pretty limited (ex: lego batman set from sdcc)

As for the gleek yeah it was free, so? #$@# they sell give aways from comic con for cash all the time on ebay too. Demands there whether it was free or not. Last year the stark enterprise flash drives were going for like 30 and those were free. So cuz somehting was a giveaway then its not allowed to be profitable or sold?

Be more fair? I think my prices are fair and they are equal to ebay prices current and past.

Plus you know, have you ever benn to comic con? prob not, standing in a 3 hr line is not easy ok

As for the whole TNI being family thing...ive been here for like 4 yrs now, uve been here 1. I have made tons fo friends here and that I talk to and hang out with outside of the internet world. Ive helped tons of people as well...take a look at my feedback....see all those names.....and ive never sold one thing to any of those people for a dime more than I paid. People that have been to my store and PM'd me here later Ive taken things out of my store and sold it to them at cost or traded it to them for soemthing else I needed. This is the ifrst time in the 7 yrs Ive gone to SDCC that I charged a mule fee.

And opticon was one of thsoe people that in the past has benefitted from me goign to sdcc and helping him out with a single thing given in return from his part

wild west show down lol

I remember a funny story that happened when I used to work at a toysrus well I was still in college. these 2 hotwheels collectors were there, one of them with his wife/gf. she grabbed a hotwheel and the other guy snatched it from her hands. then an arguement happened. My manager saw it, walked by grabbed the hotwheel and said this is mine now.

Aww, why you gotta try and drag me back into it, I thought we were done....

j/k, go about your business.

we are done i just brougth you up cuz he said he agreed with your outlook, so i said ok well opticon might have taht outlook on me but he is also one of the people that has gained from my help.

wild west show down lol

I remember a funny story that happened when I used to work at a toysrus well I was still in college. these 2 hotwheels collectors were there, one of them with his wife/gf. she grabbed a hotwheel and the other guy snatched it from her hands. then an arguement happened. My manager saw it, walked by grabbed the hotwheel and said this is mine now.

haha thats funny he should have bent the card and been here who wants it now lol

the TRU manager should have said, I am going to bend the card if you can't decide who gets it.

Then, if one of the collectors truly loved the hotwheel, he would have said, "let the other guy have it. I don't want the hotwheel to suffer."

and then, the manager should have said, "I see that you truly do love this hotwheel. And you may have it as your reward."

@lol@

I think a scalper is just somebody who stops me from getting them @lol@

If I go to the store and see that I missed on a certain figure, "dang scalpers!"

If I see somebody scalping one across the country, "meh"

As for the whole TNI being family thing...ive been here for like 4 yrs now, uve been here 1. I have made tons fo friends here and that I talk to and hang out with outside of the internet world. Ive helped tons of people as well...take a look at my feedback....see all those names.....and ive never sold one thing to any of those people for a dime more than I paid. People that have been to my store and PM'd me here later Ive taken things out of my store and sold it to them at cost or traded it to them for soemthing else I needed. This is the ifrst time in the 7 yrs Ive gone to SDCC that I charged a mule fee.

I've dealt with JJ before, several times in fact, and let me stand alongside him in support and say he's a straight up guy.

I've always found what he offers to be fairly priced, and if I think its too much......I don't buy. I don't question or criticize his prices either, because he sets the price, not me.

His feedback list says it all though, I doubt there's anyone else on these forums who is any fairer.

and like i said if any of you see somethign in my store, thats mine im willing to pull it out and work out a trade or something.

What consitutes a fair price?

I dont see how selling a figure loose is wrong or how selling a figure without a BAF peice is wrong?

Some people just want a figure and dont want the baf peice, some people want the Baf but not all the figures.

Selling them seperate helps out and reaches out to more people than selling them all together. Plus selling loose cuts on shipping charges. Id say 80% of my buyers are overseas and other countries that dont get these figs very often.

Plus you know what if you or anyone doesnt like my prices then you know what im not the only one selling on ebay.....so move along and keep looking till you find a price you are happy with.

im glad that you got a chuckle out of it.

Also dont know what MOC you are reffering to since I only have like 6 thigs that are still MOC. But all those are hard to find things and are pretty limited (ex: lego batman set from sdcc)

As for the gleek yeah it was free, so? #$@# they sell give aways from comic con for cash all the time on ebay too. Demands there whether it was free or not. Last year the stark enterprise flash drives were going for like 30 and those were free. So cuz somehting was a giveaway then its not allowed to be profitable or sold?

Be more fair? I think my prices are fair and they are equal to ebay prices current and past.

Plus you know, have you ever benn to comic con? prob not, standing in a 3 hr line is not easy ok

And opticon was one of thsoe people that in the past has benefitted from me goign to sdcc and helping him out with a single thing given in return from his part

All that was directed souly at you JJ as i said it goes for alot of sellers. And i have an example for you i looked through your stor e tonight and saw the DCUC hawkman for 24 plus shipping when IMO a better price is lets say 16 if you only pay 12 for it or even like 18.99 which is still a lil high but i'll go that much.

Again i said i am not mad at ya you do your thing thats america. And as far as being in line at a con sure i understand its a damn cluster #$%^@ but damn do you really need to charge for evey hour or minut you stand in line when you were going for the goodies in the first place. No you don't something you do just simply for the love of maybe halping someone out.

I know this is comeing across as personal but its not just my opinion. Hell i sent you a pm about some stuff. I think your a kool guy. I just don't agree with some of your prices thats all. But don't think for a second if you had something i wanted or needed i would hit you up with no issues.

Thats kinda the point of the boards though giveing an opinion or view with everyone getting in a huff. And i understand some people want what they want figure no baf or baf no figure i'm just saying dont charge 30 bucks for something when even in a price guide its not going for alot.

I am sure your prices do go loong with other e bay prices but again alot of those prices are very inflated just to make a few extra extra bucks. But again if you can get it well get it my man get what you can while you can. I just hope you would treat us a lil different than your avg non member/friend

Which i consider you a friend thats why i am being so honest with my view. And opti i didn't mean to bring you up other than to agree with you and i agreed with JJ as far as the sellers end and the buyer.

ok but you know waht you also have to consider this....figure is waht 13 after taxes, plus 10 cent to set up auction, then perct of final cost for ebay fee, then paypal fees. so lets say i put the figure at 20 BIN 20-13(cost of figure)-0.05 (auction price)-2.00(ebay final value fee)-1.00(paypal fee)= $3.95 profit not really worth the time and effort. at 25 u are at least almost making 10 dollars profit.