What constitutes someone as a DC Universe Scalper?

Daddyfett

Back in 05 when Revenge of the Sith came out Target had Clones trooper exclusives

This one guy came in and grabbed all we had on the pegs

We all knew that he was a scalper but Target has no rules especially at that time on how many you can buy

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't we all just get along?! :x

It's not that you guys don't love DC enough, just that your circumstances didn't allow you this time to retrieve the TOYS. It's not the scalpers or other collectors who snagged the figures, it's yourselves for not being there at the right place at the right time.

CIRCUMSTANCES, beyond or not, out of your control prevented you not to get figs.

Make sure it doesn't happen again.

As for prices, yet again, don't support them if you don't agree with the premium prices. No ones forcing you.

It would be nice to always get the TOYS were here to collect and love at retail or even below, but every community has those kinds of people: toys, comics, event tickets, cars, etc. Why are we all still surprised as if it never existed?

It's more rewarding to find the figures I want after a "hunt". I don't always expect figues there hanging on the pegs AFA graded on a silver platter with my name on it. Don't forget they're toys. We love them and that's why were here, but in the end it still is what it is and were all getting side tracked. DC Wave 9 will hit, those were just the first known sightings. if we had a stronger

forum then maybe we all would deal better between each other. Step away from the screen for a moment and have a beer.

I'm tired of sitting around reading all this stupid nonsense.

Why can't we all just speak in general terms.

It's fair game when it is in your local store. People have the same amount of opportunity as the next person to retrieve these figures, "scalper" or not.

I hear and read people complaining about SDCC exclusives every year. EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Every single person has an equal amount of time and notice to go to San Diego and get in line like every single person who scalps, trades, or keeps the exclusives for whatever reason. Theres no advantages to it. People all around the WORLD travel to SDCC to get what they want. Don't be mad at re-sellers because they put their effort into what they're buying. Companies who sell the exclusives also, many times, distribute the opportunity to purchase exclusives equally/randomly whether it's raffle tickets or maybe it's just first come first serve. But all in all it's all in the level of fairness. Maybe people who complain all the time should just step up their efforts. Just because you (again, speaking generally) didn't make the extra effort and that particular seller did, don't get your panties in a bunch.

People always complain when they do not get what they want only because they feel as if they're deserving fans. It doesn't entitle you to anything and everything you're into just because you're a fan.

I've been through a lot of toy/culture communities who have people that feel as if they're too deserving yet they do not put that effort to purchase what they want.

I'm mainly into Urban Vinyl. I camped outside of Kidrobot San Francisco for 6 hours to purchase a highly saught after, limited edition Dunny (Huck Gee's Hello I'm Insane Dunny to be exact). I realized then, it doesn't matter what the other people do with their figures, keep/trade/re-sell, because they put the same amount of time in getting the figure as I, a fan, did to get it.

Nobody is telling anyone to spend $100+ on that Wonder Twins/Gleek set. Purchasers (mind you I did not say collectors) are the ones to set aftermarket price for whatever figures they're looking for. Maybe if people stop paying those premium prices on eBay and make best offers or whatever they have to do, the market will get the hint and realize they can't really get that much money on the figures.

But until then, people will just cry for a second, send payment through PayPal, receive the figures in the mail, then #$#@# about how much they payed for.

On another note, I do despise Hot Wheels collectors for trampling little kids.

Hi everyone, been a member for a while but it has been longer since I have posted anything.

To metatron, and anyone else who claims that scalpers are just as entitled to get stuff of the store, actually it is not fair at all. In economics it is known as predatory tactics (look it up). While what you say may seem right at first glance (that the best solution is for a collector to put an extra effort to beat the scalper who does give that extra, thus making it fair by your view) I don´t think (and most collectors will agree) that "that" is the case at all. Take my case as an example. I live in Mexico (next to the border), so I actually have fairly "easy" access to walmart, toys rus and target. I try to go checking for new figures at least once a week, but considering that every time I do I have to spend 1 to 2 hours just to get across the border (sometimes more) and that these stores, save walmart, open up fairly late (around 9 or 10 am) and that I have to be at work monday thru saturday at 8 am, it doesn´t matter how much of an effort I put to be at a store by opening time I just won´t be able to pull it off, so I have to go there in the afternoon or sunday mornings. Now, under regular circumstances, that shouldn´t be much of a problem or even unfair if another collector gets to a new set of figures first, but there's a f..n scalper in the area (who gets the benefit of actually living in the US) so no matter when I go or how early I try to get across the border, he always gets there first, and usually leaves just fodder (I've been told by employes that a guy just came and took 2 or 3 cases and this is all that is left). You ask how I know it is him, friend of mine who used to work at the local toys rus knows him (small city) and gave me his internet store adress, and surely enough, whenever I find just fodder, I check his internet stuff and behold, everything is right there. Now go ahead and tell me it is fair, guy doesn´t even collect anything, just sells stuff (hot wheels too of course). Sorry about the really long rant, but this tends to get very irritating, and I know I am not alone in the feeling.

To metatron, and anyone else who claims that scalpers are just as entitled to get stuff of the store, actually it is not fair at all. In economics it is known as predatory tactics (look it up).

Actually, it is fair--because at retail its "first come first served". This is a cornerstone tenet of commerce law in North America--of which it is a handed down concept from British Common law.

Retailers are NOT obligated to withhold the sale of goods to a a single buyer, nor are the obligated to sell to a single buyer either.

This is especially the case with selling toys.

Collectors can complain until they are blue in the face, but legally speaking, in light of a system THEY support themselves in every day life--they haven't got a leg to stand on.

The simple fact of the matter is that no-one can PROVE that a scalper is buying up all the toys. The store cannot, another collector cannot--there's little or no evidence despite the shrill belly-achin' from people.

All they are doing is assuming. It MIGHT be a scalper, it might be a fellow collector, it might be casual buyers, but everyone points the finger at "scalpers". I mean, hey....if the complaints are not about someone buying to resell on the secondary market, its about someone buying "too much" to army build.

You ONLY hear about this kind of complaining with toys.

Its never about ANY other kind of product.

Fact is, with any other kind of product, toy collectors are perfectly okay with the "first come first served" concept..........because you NEVER hear them bitching about losing out on buying anything else buy toys-----and sure as shootin' someone has grabbed that last can of whatever before there did before.

Nope, toys bring out this infantile need for "fairness"--as if ( because its toys) everyone should get their equal share.

Its a genuine hypocrisy within collecting circles, one that is both startling and amusing to see played out over and over again.

Retailers, frankly, do not care WHO.........let me repeat THEY DO NOT CARE WHO they sell to, only that they make a sale.

They only give quantity sales lip service, because its a good corporate policy to have--but its not a law.

I doubt there's a retailer around that really gives a whack if a customer feels disappointed if the store runs out of something.

The reasoning is that if the customer really wants the stuff, they'll be back--and in most cases, its true.

If a store sells out of toys.......what do most collectors do?

Do they find the manager and request the store order in more??

No, they come on line and #$#@# about how scalpers bought up all the toys, while not knowing for certain who actually did. Scalpers have become this convenient bogeyman-cum-whipping-boy for collectors.

Is anyone experiencing what I am?

There are cases of toys leaving stores but not by a customer. It is employees who are taking the cases. They never hit the shelves.

These same employees have set up tables at toy shows and have ebay accounts.

Whether reseller or collector, there is no way in the world you are going to be able to get ahold of these figs.

At least that is what is happening from time to time in my area.

Whether reseller or collector, there is no way in the world you are going to be able to get ahold of these figs.

If you buy into that kind of thinking, congratulations, you've just learned to be helpless.

Truth of the matter is that not every store has that kind of thing going on, and that you CAN find the stuff if you are patient.

The biggest secret........the hardest lesson to learn in all this is to let go of the idea that "you MUST have it".

That's spare you a lot of frustration and will be the seed of your no longer needing to have traffic with scalpers.

It doesn't matter if stockboys are selling cases out the back, it doesn't matter what scalpers are doing--the reality is that you do not need to deal with either.

If people spread that idea around, instead of chronic complaining about scalpers etc....they'd probably find that scalping isn't the problem they think it is.

If you buy into that kind of thinking, congratulations, you've just learned to be helpless.

Truth of the matter is that not every store has that kind of thing going on, and that you CAN find the stuff if you are patient.

The biggest secret........the hardest lesson to learn in all this is to let go of the idea that "you MUST have it".

That's spare you a lot of frustration and will be the seed of your no longer needing to have traffic with scalpers.

It doesn't matter if stockboys are selling cases out the back, it doesn't matter what scalpers are doing--the reality is that you do not need to deal with either.

If people spread that idea around, instead of chronic complaining about scalpers etc....they'd probably find that scalping isn't the problem they think it is.

I think you missed the point.

To metatron, and anyone else who claims that scalpers are just as entitled to get stuff of the store, actually it is not fair at all. In economics it is known as predatory tactics (look it up).

Actually, it is fair--because at retail its "first come first served". This is a cornerstone tenet of commerce law in North America--of which it is a handed down concept from British Common law.

Retailers are NOT obligated to withhold the sale of goods to a a single buyer, nor are the obligated to sell to a single buyer either.

Collectors can complain until they are blue in the face, but legally speaking, in light of a system THEY support themselves in every day life--they haven't got a leg to stand on.

The simple fact of the matter is that no-one can PROVE that a scalper is buying up all the toys. The store cannot, another collector cannot--there's little or no evidence despite the shrill belly-achin' from people.

All they are doing is assuming. It MIGHT be a scalper, it might be a fellow collector, it might be casual buyers, but everyone points the finger at "scalpers". I mean, hey....if the complaints are not about someone buying to resell on the secondary market, its about someone buying "too much" to army build.

Fact is, with any other kind of product, toy collectors are perfectly okay with the "first come first served" concept..........because you NEVER hear them bitching about losing out on buying anything else buy toys-----and sure as shootin' someone has grabbed that last can of whatever before there did before.

Nope, toys bring out this infantile need for "fairness"--as if ( because its toys) everyone should get their equal share.

Its a genuine hypocrisy within collecting circles, one that is both startling and amusing to see played out over and over again.

Retailers, frankly, do not care WHO.........let me repeat THEY DO NOT CARE WHO they sell to, only that they make a sale.

They only give quantity sales lip service, because its a good corporate policy to have--but its not a law.

I doubt there's a retailer around that really gives a whack if a customer feels disappointed if the store runs out of something.

The reasoning is that if the customer really wants the stuff, they'll be back--and in most cases, its true.

No, they come on line and #$#@# about how scalpers bought up all the toys, while not knowing for certain who actually did. Scalpers have become this convenient bogeyman-cum-whipping-boy for collectors.

I never said anything about retailers being or not responsible, and while you are right at the "first come first served" argument concerning retailers and that they don't give a crap about who gets the product, it does not change the fact that scalpers (they do exist and as I said before I know one first hand and have seen the merchandise on his internet store just hours after the store employees told me how much of it was bought by one person) hurt us as collectors, mainly in our wallets. It also doesn´t change the fact that predatory tactics can get you in legal problems if you are running a company and are shoddy enough to use them. It is also true that most collectors are childish in more than one way (that includes everyone in this forum or we would not have buying toys as a hobby), but that does not mean we have to like, let alone condone scalping. It has already become hard enough to enjoy the hobby with all the B.S companies like mattel pull on us, to on top of that have to deal with an a-hole who´s only concern is to make a quick buck.

he tends to do that shanks,

but to his whole law crap which he stated earlier...what about when grocery stores limit items like 2 a person or such?

he tends to do that shanks,

but to his whole law crap which he stated earlier...what about when grocery stores limit items like 2 a person or such?

Thanks for the heads up.

Let's be honest, I don't NEED an Action Figure. I want the damn thing. I want it bad. That is why I am posting on a Toy website. That is why I have subscribed to MOTUC for the next year and a half. That is why there are action figures on shelves in my house. I LOVE DOING THIS>

I don't need comic books but I EFFIN LOVE TO READ THEM! I like chatting about them and wearing T-shirts with super hero logos on them.

I get PISSED when I drive all over town and can't find something that I want, much the same way I get pissed if I haven't been laid in a few days. ( today I am extremely happy)

I also don't need someone to tell me that I have turned into a victim. I don't need someone to tell me I am "helpless". I don't need a toy collecting sensei.

arowdygator, thanks for the heads up. This isn't directed at you and I hope someone can sympathize with what I am saying if you can't then I don't NEED your reply.

Not making this personal, but it is very easy to say that scalpers aren´t a big problem or that being patient will get you the stuff when you can go to stores at any day/time you like knowing sooner or later if you keep it up you will find something, but with us international buyers, it is already hard enough knowing that half the stuff we will get will be over priced because most of the time there is little to no distribution outside of the US, so when my oportunity to look for something in the US or at an actual store that handles an exclusive product (case in point walmart's wave 5) taken by a scalper who doesn´t give a crap about the figures other than the money he can get out of them, it does become a problem and a big obstacle to my collecting.

I'm tired of sitting around reading all this stupid nonsense.

Why can't we all just speak in general terms.

It's fair game when it is in your local store. People have the same amount of opportunity as the next person to retrieve these figures, "scalper" or not.

I hear and read people complaining about SDCC exclusives every year. EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Every single person has an equal amount of time and notice to go to San Diego and get in line like every single person who scalps, trades, or keeps the exclusives for whatever reason. Theres no advantages to it. People all around the WORLD travel to SDCC to get what they want. Don't be mad at re-sellers because they put their effort into what they're buying. Companies who sell the exclusives also, many times, distribute the opportunity to purchase exclusives equally/randomly whether it's raffle tickets or maybe it's just first come first serve. But all in all it's all in the level of fairness. Maybe people who complain all the time should just step up their efforts. Just because you (again, speaking generally) didn't make the extra effort and that particular seller did, don't get your panties in a bunch.

People always complain when they do not get what they want only because they feel as if they're deserving fans. It doesn't entitle you to anything and everything you're into just because you're a fan.

I've been through a lot of toy/culture communities who have people that feel as if they're too deserving yet they do not put that effort to purchase what they want.

I'm mainly into Urban Vinyl. I camped outside of Kidrobot San Francisco for 6 hours to purchase a highly saught after, limited edition Dunny (Huck Gee's Hello I'm Insane Dunny to be exact). I realized then, it doesn't matter what the other people do with their figures, keep/trade/re-sell, because they put the same amount of time in getting the figure as I, a fan, did to get it.

Nobody is telling anyone to spend $100+ on that Wonder Twins/Gleek set. Purchasers (mind you I did not say collectors) are the ones to set aftermarket price for whatever figures they're looking for. Maybe if people stop paying those premium prices on eBay and make best offers or whatever they have to do, the market will get the hint and realize they can't really get that much money on the figures.

But until then, people will just cry for a second, send payment through PayPal, receive the figures in the mail, then #$#@# about how much they payed for.

On another note, I do despise Hot Wheels collectors for trampling little kids.

Hi everyone, been a member for a while but it has been longer since I have posted anything.

To metatron, and anyone else who claims that scalpers are just as entitled to get stuff of the store, actually it is not fair at all. In economics it is known as predatory tactics (look it up). While what you say may seem right at first glance (that the best solution is for a collector to put an extra effort to beat the scalper who does give that extra, thus making it fair by your view) I don´t think (and most collectors will agree) that "that" is the case at all. Take my case as an example. I live in Mexico (next to the border), so I actually have fairly "easy" access to walmart, toys rus and target. I try to go checking for new figures at least once a week, but considering that every time I do I have to spend 1 to 2 hours just to get across the border (sometimes more) and that these stores, save walmart, open up fairly late (around 9 or 10 am) and that I have to be at work monday thru saturday at 8 am, it doesn´t matter how much of an effort I put to be at a store by opening time I just won´t be able to pull it off, so I have to go there in the afternoon or sunday mornings. Now, under regular circumstances, that shouldn´t be much of a problem or even unfair if another collector gets to a new set of figures first, but there's a f..n scalper in the area (who gets the benefit of actually living in the US) so no matter when I go or how early I try to get across the border, he always gets there first, and usually leaves just fodder (I've been told by employes that a guy just came and took 2 or 3 cases and this is all that is left). You ask how I know it is him, friend of mine who used to work at the local toys rus knows him (small city) and gave me his internet store adress, and surely enough, whenever I find just fodder, I check his internet stuff and behold, everything is right there. Now go ahead and tell me it is fair, guy doesn´t even collect anything, just sells stuff (hot wheels too of course). Sorry about the really long rant, but this tends to get very irritating, and I know I am not alone in the feeling.

yeah and like ive mentioned before im a teacher i have to be at work in the morning, i have papers to grade and class to prep for at night, yett I make an effort to be there when I can at night at walmart when pallets coem out or if i can in the morning before work. you live in an other country...and im sure mexico like many other countries get every little merchandise in their own stores...you are lucky that you are in the border and get to occasionaly go to chula vista or sd and hit those stores.

the thing is its first come first serve. Im sorry but Imean I can understand that everyone has work and cant be there in the store 24/7...but that doesnt mean its a scalpers fault that when you do show up and the figures are not there.

arrow gets it....all this time i been saying circumstances block you form being there, blame those and not scalpers because they can be there and you can not. just cuz you are joe somebody doesnt mean target or walmart should hold these figures till you decide to show up.

Not making this personal, but it is very easy to say that scalpers aren´t a big problem or that being patient will get you the stuff when you can go to stores at any day/time you like knowing sooner or later if you keep it up you will find something, but with us international buyers, it is already hard enough knowing that half the stuff we will get will be over priced because most of the time there is little to no distribution outside of the US, so when my oportunity to look for something in the US or at an actual store that handles an exclusive product (case in point walmart's wave 5) taken by a scalper who doesn´t give a crap about the figures other than the money he can get out of them, it does become a problem and a big obstacle to my collecting.

problems seems liek you live in the wrong side of the border. If countries outside the US get less product and and higher prices then how does that fall on scalpers in the US? Like I said you want somethign then you go and look for it till you get it.

ill say it again.....blame cicumstances of you not being at the stores at the right time, blame poor distrubution from mattel, blame your store for not ordering al ot or carrying the figures......but dont blame scalpers....first off you dotn even know who bought the figures.....like arrow said "scalpers" have become a scape goat and excuse for peopel not finding something.

so here goes this from a thread in the dc section what do you guys think of this response:

Actually JJ I didn't refuse I was actually getting ready to go ahead with the trade after checking your feedback. I have done deals here,actually sent a package today. The store will be ready to go in Oct starting with waves 10 and 11 of DCUC. Talked to my friend at wally and secured atleast 10 cases. Jesus if this is how #$@# is around here the F it I will buy them and wait till I get the store up to put wave 5 up. So nevermind everybody.

thats from the guy that wanted to trade wave 5 for 9....I asked him if he would ship first......he then asked me if i was goign to keep the figures or sell them in my store...my response was well i guess he read the other threads and following the line of others calling me a scalper and i sarcasticly said that he burned me on that one......well that was his response.......guy has a store and is getting cases from a friend at walmart.

so here goes this from a thread in the dc section what do you guys think of this response:

Actually JJ I didn't refuse I was actually getting ready to go ahead with the trade after checking your feedback. I have done deals here,actually sent a package today. The store will be ready to go in Oct starting with waves 10 and 11 of DCUC. Talked to my friend at wally and secured atleast 10 cases. Jesus if this is how #$@# is around here the F it I will buy them and wait till I get the store up to put wave 5 up. So nevermind everybody.

thats from the guy that wanted to trade wave 5 for 9....I asked him if he would ship first......he then asked me if i was goign to keep the figures or sell them in my store...my response was well i guess he read the other threads and following the line of others calling me a scalper and i sarcasticly said that he burned me on that one......well that was his response.......guy has a store and is getting cases from a friend at walmart.

ya jj i dont agree with you with the scalping issue obviously but...i dont get his logic? wierd...

If you stand there and have a conversation with the other person and they state that, "yeah, I'm buyin' only to resell" or whatever, then that sounds like proof to me.

I agree with this. Collectors who army build have just as much right to enjoy their diaramas and collections as anyone else. They create beautiful, impressive displays. And, if you purchase one to take out of the packaging and one to leave in, isn't that a small army build? It's nice though, if one can leave at least one sample for another consumer. That is, of course, for people who are in areas where there are more than one sample of any particular item. I suspect though that by now most people know that it is much more convienient to army build using something like TRU website.

circumstances block you form being there, blame those and not scalpers because they can be there and you can not. just cuz you are joe somebody doesnt mean target or walmart should hold these figures till you decide to show up.

So if circumstances include someone's job hours not allowing them to camp out at the store and being socially responsible by tending to other matters first, they're supposed to blame those "circumstances"? That seems a little harsh.

Am I to understand that the figures aren't even making their ways to the shelves?

well its true.....like i stated i have a job i have a gf can i go everyday to wlamart and target to hunt know but when I can I do, if i find somethign i find it if i dont then i dotn but i dont throw a fit about scalpers....i understand how the game is played...i know I either have to be a target and walmart when they put figures out for me to have a good chance to get them. If im not then I cant blame anybody or anythign else for me not being there.

Am I to understand that the figures aren't even making their ways to the shelves?

thats what i got from it that his friend is goign to save him the boxes or something

thats what i got from it that his friend is goign to save him the boxes or something

That angers me. The stuff isn't even making it's way to the shelves.

Doesn't matter what time you show up, it wont be there for anyone to purchase.

That kind of goes along with what I messaged you about earlier.

and when it comes down to that like i told you i agree with you, if it doesnt make it to the floor theres a problem..once it hits the floor then all fair in love and war

either that or he was a scammer and the warnings wheeljack and i posted and me wanting him to ship first scarred him off.

and when it comes down to that like i told you i agree with you, if it doesnt make it to the floor theres a problem..once it hits the floor then all fair in love and war

I have 2 weeks worth the vacation time coming up. I think I am going to be traveling around the area and hitting up stores.

I am also going to be ebaying alot of my old stuff off to support my DCUC habit.

Anyone know anyone in search of Marvel Legends figs? LOL

I don't know about other examples anyone else may have mentioned. But I've had a converstaion or two with employee "scalpers" before. I had one person basically tell me once, more or less, in an obnoxious way, "Yeah, I get first dibs on what I want. tough sh!t, it's my gig not yours". Ok, I guess.

OTOH, I know that there are also some employees who are fair, courteous and will help if possible.

I have seen it said that store employees are sometimes "paid off" by a non employee so that they can beat everybody else to the punch. Isn't that sh!t illegal? There must be some penalty for it, because I've spoken with a manager of a retail store that I have known who told me it would be grounds for dismissal if an employee were doing that. But I guess it probably happens because the employee can get the item at a discount, plus makes an additional profit.