What constitutes someone as a DC Universe Scalper?

Daddyfett

The way i see scalping is like this.

A scalper is a guy/girl who comes to sites like this to see whats hot. Then goes to there local stores and buys up every figure they can. And go to more than one store buying up every figure (not even leaveing a set for a true collector to buy)

Only to go and sell them on e bay for 2 times the worth of the figures/sets in the first place. also they pay the slackers at walmart/target or what ever store so they can get the good befor anyone elseor in some cases work there

I have pick up sets myself but it was for me and my fellow members not to make any real profit other than knowing a big smile was on my members faces when they got it.

We don't like scaplers because its already hard enough to find this stuff because of mattels crappy ways and dealing with scalpers buying up everying they see to sell a set for 200 or more just really hurts the hobby. and really takes alot of fun out of hunting these things down.

i think as a whole we would even cut scalpers some slack if they would leave a set or 2 behind and not just the worst painted figures so the collector can one have a good set and 2 have a set at all

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much for the input, I'm in the bay area and there are Scalpers everywhere, and they even have a wherehouse where they sell all their items, and when you ask for a price they go on the internet to find out how much is it going for on ebay, sad.

What part of norcal are you from? I'm in Sonoma county. I wish the scalpers would buy the rest of wave 7 from my TRU.

From Redwood City

If that is your ebay store JJ, I just gotta say...

you might not be a scalper in the grander sense, but $125 for the Twins and Gleek wont win you many hearts.

just like you not going to comic con and yet you got a gleek at fwoosh wont win you any either.

yup and I sold one before at $100 during comic con...like said I went and im trying to make some cash to pay back my cost for the trip.

I went to comic con and bought a total of 16 wonder twin sets. 9 for people here, 3 for friends, 1 for me 3 to sell/trade

100_7540.jpg

Thank you so much for the input, I'm in the bay area and there are Scalpers everywhere, and they even have a wherehouse where they sell all their items, and when you ask for a price they go on the internet to find out how much is it going for on ebay, sad.

What part of norcal are you from? I'm in Sonoma county. I wish the scalpers would buy the rest of wave 7 from my TRU.

From Redwood City

cool ur right across the bridge

JJ,

You do have your own EBAY store, correct?

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Figure-Addict_...c0Q2em14?_pgn=4

We could all just look there and tell if you are a scalper or not.

Again, I don't think that anyone is accusing you and it is best not to take it too personally.

For now, I am just relying on bbts.

the link to my store has been in my tni sig since I opened the store at the begining of the year. I never hid the fact that I have an Ebay store.

The way i see scalping is like this.

A scalper is a guy/girl who comes to sites like this to see whats hot. Then goes to there local stores and buys up every figure they can. And go to more than one store buying up every figure (not even leaveing a set for a true collector to buy)

Only to go and sell them on e bay for 2 times the worth of the figures/sets in the first place. also they pay the slackers at walmart/target or what ever store so they can get the good befor anyone elseor in some cases work there

I have pick up sets myself but it was for me and my fellow members not to make any real profit other than knowing a big smile was on my members faces when they got it.

Yes, we all understand all that. That's not adding anything to the whole point of the discussion though.

What we're really talking about trying to determine, is the people somewhere in the middle ground. The people who BOTH sell or trade for retail cost and also sell or trade for a profit. We're wondering what to call THOSE people. Cause you know... there are a LOT of us out there.

why is this topic specifically about DC Universe scalpers? @lol@ I guess so that the OP could say that it was in the right section?

Anyhow, my idea of scalping is when somebody buys an item that they don't want knowingly, with the sole purpose of selling it for profit.

I see this most of the time in my area with hotwheels collectors. I know several "hotwheels collectors" that buy up action figures that they have no interest in. There is one dude that does this with his wife exclusively as an ebay business.

There are also people that buy to trade stuff. I see the plenty of the usual hotwheels guys when I go looking for stuff, and we chat about what we see or find in the area. There is this one hotwheel collector that always tells me he found some new action figure I am looking for, and I always ask him why he bought them or if I can get them from him, etc... and he always tells me that he got them to trade for hotwheels.

The funny thing is, I never run into action figure collectors. When I see that I missed out on something, it is almost always a hotwheelse collector that nabbed it, not an action figure collector.

I am not saying that there aint action figure collectors where I live, my area is huge and filled with hunting spots... but I don't see many action figure collectors that are dedicated enough for me to run into them

as for JJ... I don't see why so many people are badgering him. The dude hooked me up with a bunch of SDCC stuff that I wouldn't have been able to get myself. He hooked me up with Gleek, He-man, and Beastman from Matty (in addition to lots of other stuff), when I know he could have sold them for a nice profit.

He also found wave 9 and popped them open to take pics for us instead of putting them on ebay instantly.

Like some people have already said, I think there are alot of collectors that will sell stuff if they have the opportunity to make a profit.

I'm tired of sitting around reading all this stupid nonsense.

Why can't we all just speak in general terms.

It's fair game when it is in your local store. People have the same amount of opportunity as the next person to retrieve these figures, "scalper" or not.

I hear and read people complaining about SDCC exclusives every year. EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Every single person has an equal amount of time and notice to go to San Diego and get in line like every single person who scalps, trades, or keeps the exclusives for whatever reason. Theres no advantages to it. People all around the WORLD travel to SDCC to get what they want. Don't be mad at re-sellers because they put their effort into what they're buying. Companies who sell the exclusives also, many times, distribute the opportunity to purchase exclusives equally/randomly whether it's raffle tickets or maybe it's just first come first serve. But all in all it's all in the level of fairness. Maybe people who complain all the time should just step up their efforts. Just because you (again, speaking generally) didn't make the extra effort and that particular seller did, don't get your panties in a bunch.

People always complain when they do not get what they want only because they feel as if they're deserving fans. It doesn't entitle you to anything and everything you're into just because you're a fan.

I've been through a lot of toy/culture communities who have people that feel as if they're too deserving yet they do not put that effort to purchase what they want.

I'm mainly into Urban Vinyl. I camped outside of Kidrobot San Francisco for 6 hours to purchase a highly saught after, limited edition Dunny (Huck Gee's Hello I'm Insane Dunny to be exact). I realized then, it doesn't matter what the other people do with their figures, keep/trade/re-sell, because they put the same amount of time in getting the figure as I, a fan, did to get it.

Nobody is telling anyone to spend $100+ on that Wonder Twins/Gleek set. Purchasers (mind you I did not say collectors) are the ones to set aftermarket price for whatever figures they're looking for. Maybe if people stop paying those premium prices on eBay and make best offers or whatever they have to do, the market will get the hint and realize they can't really get that much money on the figures.

But until then, people will just cry for a second, send payment through PayPal, receive the figures in the mail, then #$#@# about how much they payed for.

On another note, I do despise Hot Wheels collectors for trampling little kids.

@usa@

It's fair game when it is in your local store. People have the same amount of opportunity as the next person to retrieve these figures, "scalper" or not.

I think it's more the idea of the "walking into your local WM just in time to watch a Hot Wheels guy walk out with the 5 one-per-case figures from 5 cases that you specifically went to that WM to look for one of for your collection" type thing that is ticking people off, not the "collector buys a whole case you wanted cause he was there a whole day earlier" type thing.

Also, the knowing that all 5 of those figures are going to be padding his pockets even though he doesn't have a clue what that figure represents as a character in it's original media, which some little kid he tramples actually MIGHT know.

you might not be a scalper in the grander sense, but $125 for the Twins and Gleek wont win you many hearts.

just like you not going to comic con and yet you got a gleek at fwoosh wont win you any either.

yup and I sold one before at $100 during comic con...like said I went and im trying to make some cash to pay back my cost for the trip.

I went to comic con and bought a total of 16 wonder twin sets. 9 for people here, 3 for friends, 1 for me 3 to sell/trade

100_7540.jpg

What about charging double the retail cost for loose DCUC without the baf parts?

After looking through the rest of the store....Lets just say I'm beginning so see why you were getting defensive.

Some ppl do not like to pay over retail for an item that came out nor wants to sell said items below cost

Where does a person draws a line? I mean, if everything cost retail even decades after it is release, what is the point of some collectors to buyDCUC or whatever?

I mean, would ppl still complain if somebody who owns a gleek sells him for 50 bucks rather than 5 in a few years? I am not here defending anyone but I can see why some ppl are irritated fro paying a toy that originally cost, for instance, 30 dollars go up to 500; I also see the problem of those who bought something rare decades ago, wanting a bit more for it, which they should be allowed to w/o being judged.

It is quite a problem

I forgot who said this quote eariler, but I agree that some collectors let the collecting control them.

What we're really talking about trying to determine, is the people somewhere in the middle ground. The people who BOTH sell or trade for retail cost and also sell or trade for a profit. We're wondering what to call THOSE people. Cause you know... there are a LOT of us out there.

collpers?

scalectors?

I think it's more the idea of the "walking into your local WM just in time to watch a Hot Wheels guy walk out with the 5 one-per-case figures from 5 cases that you specifically went to that WM to look for one of for your collection" type thing that is ticking people off, not the "collector buys a whole case you wanted cause he was there a whole day earlier" type thing.

Also, the knowing that all 5 of those figures are going to be padding his pockets even though he doesn't have a clue what that figure represents as a character in it's original media, which some little kid he tramples actually MIGHT know.

Most Hot Wheels guys are the biggest scalpers out there

100_7540.jpg

What about charging double the retail cost for loose DCUC without the baf parts?

After looking through the rest of the store....Lets just say I'm beginning so see why you were getting defensive.

Dude,

I'm not trying to defend anyone here but with regards to people selling stuff on ebay, no one is forcing other people to buy them at that price whether a markup of 10 20 or more dollars, double or triple of the original price won't matter. There are other collectors that don't have the time to search and wait for these toys at stores that are going to be willing to pay for that price. But for others not willing to buy it at the price they will look somewhere else and that's just how it goes.

100_7540.jpg

Dude,

I'm not trying to defend anyone here but with regards to people selling stuff on ebay, no one is forcing other people to buy them at that price whether a markup of 10 20 or more dollars, double or triple of the original price won't matter. There are other collectors that don't have the time to search and wait for these toys at stores that are going to be willing to pay for that price. But for others not willing to buy it at the price they will look somewhere else and that's just how it goes.

Yeah, I totally understand that. Not really my point though.

Seeing DCUC9, which just came out this week, listed at double the price for loose figures without Chemo parts...looks like scalping to me, especially since he knows some people will pay that because they're not widely available yet.

To me a scalper is anyone who purchases a commodity (ANY commodity) for the sole purpose of selling it, usually at a substantial markup.

Someone earlier in this forum was asking about how to classify scalpers who are also collectors as opposed to people that are only scalpers. Well IMO scalpers that are also collectors or at least participants in the hobby they are scalping are the WORST.

Why you ask? A person who participates in a hobby, knows how much it means to the other collectors and those that just love the field, be it DCUC, Star Wars, GI Joe or whatever and STILL will take advantage of their fellow collectors is FAR worse than a simple speculator that has no interest in a hobby. their hobby is making money.

Now those "co-scalpers" who actually help their fellow collectors and don't charge an arm and two legs for a plastic toy aren't as bad, but the rest are the people that give our hobby a bad name sometimes. It specially burns me up when I see them crowd kids from the toy aisles.

Now having said all that; I don't blame scalpers for the inability to find DCUC in stores (most of the time) I blame Mattel first and foremost and Wal-Mart second because I always seem to find some DCUC at Target and TRU, but Wal-Mart ... not so much.

then get there 10 min tomorrow, if he stitll beats you then go 20 min earlier the day after.

100_7540.jpg

Dude,

Yeah, I totally understand that. Not really my point though.

Seeing DCUC9, which just came out this week, listed at double the price for loose figures without Chemo parts...looks like scalping to me, especially since he knows some people will pay that because they're not widely available yet.

you just said it came out this week so you dont how hard or easy it will be to find it.....so if anybody buys them is because they dont care they just want the figure by any means. I know plenty of people that will pay 100 for a figure if it means they have it first before anybody, the figure could be rotting in the pegs a week later and they have no remorse, all they care is havign the figure.

you think im saclper go right ahead I dont care, I work as teacher and I work at a comic store (which one day I will own one myself) and the ebay store is mine but I sell stuff for the comic store owner as well, and for your info the wave 9 figures arnt even mine they are the store owners.............whether you believe me or not i dont care......and you know what that really takes some balls to say......cuz I have helped you with SDCC exclusives in the past and didnt charge you a dime over cost. I guess since that was a while ago it shouldnt matter any more its about the here and now. Well you can forget about me ever helping you again at a con, you can go ask one of your brown lantern buddies for help.

dont you think if i cared what you guys said about my store and would call me a scalper or complain and whine about scalpers......whatever Id hide th fact that I have an ebay store? But no its been in my sig since the begining of the year. I never hid it or anything.

You want to call me ascalper go ahead......but when you are done....take a look at the link in my sig.....Feedback......click on it go ahead.....thats everyone in this fourm that I have bought/sold/traded with so am still a scalper?

Also when a TNI member has asked me about an itme in my store , if its mine I always lower he price or take it out of the store for them and sell/trade or whatever at cost or close to it.

you just said it came out this week so you dont how hard or easy it will be to find it.....so if anybody buys them is because they dont care they just want the figure by any means. I know plenty of people that will pay 100 for a figure if it means they have it first before anybody, the figure could be rotting in the pegs a week later and they have no remorse, all they care is havign the figure.

you think im saclper go right ahead I dont care, I work as teacher and I work at a comic store (which one day I will own one myself) and the ebay store is mine but I sell stuff for the comic store owner as well, and for your info the wave 9 figures arnt even mine they are the store owners.............whether you believe me or not i dont care......and you know what that really takes some balls to say......cuz I have helped you with SDCC exclusives in the past and didnt charge you a dime over cost. I guess since that was a while ago it shouldnt matter any more its about the here and now. Well you can forget about me ever helping you again at a con, you can go ask one of your brown lantern buddies for help.

Sure, there are people willing to pay that much to have a figure first. Its the scalper mentality though that causes you to actually charge them that much.

Its true, you helped me out with one exclusive a couple years ago, and you probably didnt charge me more than cost, and it was appreciated. I think i've only asked you once for help since then, it wasnt for sdcc, and it wasnt something you were able to help with. Point is, i'm doing fine on my own.

And as I stated near the beginning of this thread, I know you've helped out a lot of people with a lot of stuff at cost. This thread was never meant for calling you out as a scalper , so we've gotten a little side-tracked. So I'm gonna leave it at that.

and i never took it as any one callign me out or even clam since this was all cuz the last thread.

all im saying is and what metatron said.....we are tired of hearing people complain about scalpers...its a fair game to everyone to get figures....whether you can make it there or nto then its consiquences on your behalf......if a guy wants to do the leg work and go and pallet shop or whatever then you know what he put in the effort there for let him reap the rewards. its like soemoen that camps out for concert tickets or anything else.

you guys are tired of scalpers takign your figures, well all we are sayign is we are tired of hearing you complain about it, cuz you really dont have anythign to complain about. You dont want to pay their prices then dont, then double your effort to go to stores and find them on the pegs liek they do. Dont think that you deserve to walk into a store and have them hanging there till you are ready to go.

why is this topic specifically about DC Universe scalpers? @lol@ I guess so that the OP could say that it was in the right section?

The funny thing is, I never run into action figure collectors. When I see that I missed out on something, it is almost always a hotwheelse collector that nabbed it, not an action figure collector.

I am not saying that there aint action figure collectors where I live, my area is huge and filled with hunting spots... but I don't see many action figure collectors that are dedicated enough for me to run into them

Dude we should meet. We have huge figure collectors group in the Sac area through a SW site. Actually we have people up in Yuba City down to Stockton (me) but I get as far as Fresno through work. 4 members of our group got us everything we wanted at Comic-Con for cost though we did take them out for beers. You may not think you've run into us but I'm not sure how you couldn't have. With this group I have not missed out on anything in since Revenge of the Sith came out. And every guy and girl in this group is awesome about helping each other out. If you want to know more send me a message. We mainly interact on scum so you can get a feel for us there...