Why all the hate on Channing Tatum as Duke?

Weaponmaster

Well I think he did a good job as Duke in the movie and you people hate him for the role. Look he is not bad and I hate when people jump how actor get a bad rep.

What's wrong with just stating what YOU think and not worrying about what others might think? What if more people felt like you, that Tatum did a good job as playing Duke, and somebody came along and made a post saying how much they HATE that people are saying that, and giving this bum a good rap over his lousy performance?

If people didn't like him as much as yourself, that shouldn't take anything AWAY from you....should it?

I thought he did a good job....the goatee was a little out of character for duke...BUT this is Duke when he first joined...so he should be a cocky young guy.........who grows into a leadership role....BUT his thuganomics accent KILLED IT for me....Marlon Wayans didn't even talk as Thuggish as he did......he just had that hip hop twist to his voice that he has had in his dance movies etc.......had about 15 people say this to me after the movie.....BY THE WAY...I took a friend who is 16 and just discovering GI JOE...he LOVED IT....my wife who usually could care less about joe LOVED IT...my mom who is 51 absolutely loved it.....Iam 31 and saw some things i would change BUT LOVED IT!!! and my little 8 yr old nephew is now a HUGE fan of GI JOE!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I think he did a good job as Duke in the movie and you people hate him for the role. Look he is not bad and I hate when people jump how actor get a bad rep.

If you pleased you, that's the important thing.

I wasn't impressed but i don't think i'm sending him a lot of hate. A lot of the problems with his character are the writers and director's fault, not his. But I didn't seem to notice any real emotions from him. He seemed very flat and stale. Even when he looked at "Anna" I didn't buy the hurt.

I wasn't impressed but i don't think i'm sending him a lot of hate. A lot of the problems with his character are the writers and director's fault, not his. But I didn't seem to notice any real emotions from him. He seemed very flat and stale. Even when he looked at "Anna" I didn't buy the hurt.

There were two big reasons that I didn't like Channing Tatum as Duke, and I say this as a guy that's not really a Duke fan to begin with:

1. He did not portray the kind of charisma that Duke should have. He didn't come across as a guy that most people would follow into battle without hesitation. He didn't seem at all "leader-like" even in the scenes where he -was- leading (the flashbacks and the opening convoy). His voice and diction was weak (though I didn't get the "thuggish" angle that some folks are talking about...he just seemed to be mumbling to me).

2. He just couldn't "sell" the action sequences. Even the moments that were supposed to be tense and dramatic, he just...didn't have any sense of urgency to him. Maybe it's the director's fault, maybe he's just not that good an actor for action roles, but he just didn't work out for me.

I wasn't expecting a lot from Duke, honestly. I think Tatum -looked- the part well enough (even if he didn't have pale blonde hair), though the whole "goatee in dress uniform" bit was kind of annoying...I guess 6 years in the figure they've relaxed the uniform standards some. I guess the bottom line is that as a former military man, Channing Tatum did not convincingly portray the kind of military man he was portraying on screen. If he'd been playing a green recruit, I think he would've been decent, but playing a seasoned special operations commander? Not so much.

As crazy as it is to say, Marlon Wayans gave a more convincing performance as far as being a "military man" went.

I thought he did a good job....the goatee was a little out of character for duke...BUT this is Duke when he first joined...so he should be a cocky young guy.........who grows into a leadership role....BUT his thuganomics accent KILLED IT for me....Marlon Wayans didn't even talk as Thuggish as he did......he just had that hip hop twist to his voice that he has had in his dance movies etc.......had about 15 people say this to me after the movie.....BY THE WAY...I took a friend who is 16 and just discovering GI JOE...he LOVED IT....my wife who usually could care less about joe LOVED IT...my mom who is 51 absolutely loved it.....Iam 31 and saw some things i would change BUT LOVED IT!!! and my little 8 yr old nephew is now a HUGE fan of GI JOE!!!!!!!!!!!

thuggish?....hip hop?....what in the hell are you talking about? tatum has a country accent. not to mention that everyone that leaves an ending off of a word isnt a "thug." i think that my problem with tatum is that he isnt a good actor. i didnt like his role in coach carter, fighting, step up, or GI joe(much)

There were two big reasons that I didn't like Channing Tatum as Duke, and I say this as a guy that's not really a Duke fan to begin with:

1. He did not portray the kind of charisma that Duke should have. He didn't come across as a guy that most people would follow into battle without hesitation. He didn't seem at all "leader-like" even in the scenes where he -was- leading (the flashbacks and the opening convoy). His voice and diction was weak (though I didn't get the "thuggish" angle that some folks are talking about...he just seemed to be mumbling to me).

2. He just couldn't "sell" the action sequences. Even the moments that were supposed to be tense and dramatic, he just...didn't have any sense of urgency to him. Maybe it's the director's fault, maybe he's just not that good an actor for action roles, but he just didn't work out for me.

I wasn't expecting a lot from Duke, honestly. I think Tatum -looked- the part well enough (even if he didn't have pale blonde hair), though the whole "goatee in dress uniform" bit was kind of annoying...I guess 6 years in the figure they've relaxed the uniform standards some. I guess the bottom line is that as a former military man, Channing Tatum did not convincingly portray the kind of military man he was portraying on screen. If he'd been playing a green recruit, I think he would've been decent, but playing a seasoned special operations commander? Not so much.

As crazy as it is to say, Marlon Wayans gave a more convincing performance as far as being a "military man" went.

I can't believe so many people are upset about the goatee.......most special ops teams have relaxed grooming standards. My brother is in the Marines and was on one of the destroyers that the Seals were on when they rescued that Captain from the Somali pirates a while back......he said all the Seals had full beards and grown out hair. (besides being diesel strong, and pretty much did whatever they wanted). So its really not that big a deal........There are even parts of South Florida where Coasties are encouraged to grow out their hair and not have any type of Coast Guard decals on their cars. So its all over the military........even underway on my cutter, it was tradition for the Chiefs to grow out beards. Its not that big a deal.......

For some reason Channing Tatum has gotten the urban-white boy stigma......but I've read a couple articles on him in the past month in different magazines.......he's totally not that. The guy grew up on a farm in the sticks of Alabama........he's as country as you can get. I didn't think he was that bad as Duke.....I mean Duke is a pretty vanilla character when you think about it........boy-scout type.

You know how He-man is the most un-interesting looking MOTU character(boring)......and all the other characters look pretty out of control. Thats how I always viewed Duke......like the He-man of GI Joe.

You know how He-man is the most un-interesting looking MOTU character(boring)......and all the other characters look pretty out of control. Thats how I always viewed Duke......like the He-man of GI Joe.

When I was a kid i saw DUke much the same way but the DDP comics, and the more modern characters changed that. He did always have more charisma than this duke but again I think that's the Directors fault. This isn't Duke the leader of G.I.Joe (actually it looks like the field leader is Heavy Duty, ain't that a smack in the face?) Duke's a young rookie. He may grow into the duke we know.

I thought he did very well, to be quite honest. He was a young, brash, confident, skilled hot-shot; FAR from being the seasoned leader and field commander the traditional Duke was. I think that was the point, and I also think that it's implied that Hawk saw something special in Duke; he knew he had the potential to a great military leader and hero. Perhaps he could have been a little more dramatic though...

He can't stand on his own in any scene, if anyone of the actors take the screen Tatum loses your attention.

Try and deny it, but its just a fact of casting and Acting, he can't hold a lead. It's painfully obvious to anyone with an eye.

I can't believe so many people are upset about the goatee.......most special ops teams have relaxed grooming standards. My brother is in the Marines and was on one of the destroyers that the Seals were on when they rescued that Captain from the Somali pirates a while back......he said all the Seals had full beards and grown out hair. (besides being diesel strong, and pretty much did whatever they wanted). So its really not that big a deal........There are even parts of South Florida where Coasties are encouraged to grow out their hair and not have any type of Coast Guard decals on their cars. So its all over the military........even underway on my cutter, it was tradition for the Chiefs to grow out beards. Its not that big a deal.......

For some reason Channing Tatum has gotten the urban-white boy stigma......but I've read a couple articles on him in the past month in different magazines.......he's totally not that. The guy grew up on a farm in the sticks of Alabama........he's as country as you can get. I didn't think he was that bad as Duke.....I mean Duke is a pretty vanilla character when you think about it........boy-scout type.

The whole relaxed grooming standards pretty much means you can grow out a beard, but aren't allowed to "style" it. So it would have been more realistic if he had a full beard (i know first hand), but this is a movie based on reality so it's not going to be realistic.

Duke was not in the Navy or the Coast Guard. Nor was he a Navy SEAL. I'm well aware that special operations units across all branches often are allowed "relaxed grooming standards" however in those cases there are two things that generally hold true:

You won't be in your dress uniform with "relaxed grooming standards"

and

You don't get to have "relaxed grooming standards" unless the upcoming operation calls for it. Given that nobody else in Duke's unit (except Ripcord naturally) seemed to be under relaxed standards, the difference is pretty obvious. Not to mention that the relaxed standards are there to remain "covert"...which you can't exactly do while wearing your dress blues for the world to see. Beyond that, relaxed grooming standards aren't for show...they're to blend in with local societies and cultures. If Duke had been wearing a turban and sporting a long full beard I'd have found it more credible than that perfectly-styled goatee he had.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have had any problem with the beard if he'd grown it AFTER joining G.I. Joe, since we know the Joes allow beards and such, and I could even forgive it during the whole convoy sequence (maybe he'd been on deployment a while and shaving wasn't exactly a priority) but prior to that? In a dress uniform? No...just no.

But again, I suppose it's easy enough to say that the Army relaxed their grooming standards somewhere in the "not too distant future."

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion but I think he was a terrible choice for Duke. I agree that Duke should be more charismatic and loud. Plus I think he should have been a couple yrs older. Sam Worthington (who I heard was the original choice) would have been perfect. Sh*t even John Cena would have made a slightly better Duke than Tatum.

All the other casting was actually ok with me. Vosloo was incredible as Zartan. I liked Gordon-Levitt until he put the Cobra Commander mask on... Marlon was great, Sienna Miller was amazing. Byun Hung Lee (sp?) really grew on me as Stormy.

the annoying part was the mumbling. duke was always and should be loud.

You hit the nail on the head right here. Field commanders need precise, crisp diction and need to be able to PROJECT THEIR VOICE when they need to (think Patton). It's a gift, and not everyone has it. I happen to have it, and it comes in handy. :) An actor playing Duke should never mumble. I head him lisp quite a bit, too.

Other than that, I like him in the role.

I think way to much attention is given to his facial hair styling. I didn't even notice it. Also, he can't easily go from goatee to clean-shaven often since movies are shot out of sequence, so it's easier for visual continuity for him to have the same shave throughout the movie, unless its a major plot point (like Anna's hair).

I always viewed Duke and Hawk as being cut from the same stone and very much alike in their persona's, only difference being that one is a General and the other a Sgt..? Pretty straight forward leaders, in charge of the more wildly and eccentric bunch. If anything, Tatums performance was more of a Falcon type presentation, than Duke, but I guess it could be argued then that being relatives, this is how DUKE acted in his early days on the team?

He can't stand on his own in any scene, if anyone of the actors take the screen Tatum loses your attention.

Try and deny it, but its just a fact of casting and Acting, he can't hold a lead. It's painfully obvious to anyone with an eye.

Unfortunately, I found this to be true. Channing Tatum just lacks presence in ROC. Every other actor sharing the screen with him diminished his character.

I have to agree with everyone complaining about his diction. Worse than his flat acting and his total lack of charisma, he has lousy, embarrassing, amateurish diction.

Maybe that will pass down on the farm in Alabama, but this is a film. My wife and I are both theatre profs, and we were appalled at this actor. After every line he delivered we said, "What?!"

I know he's been in a few B movies, but if they are going to cast an unknown slab of meat in the role and try to force him down our throats as a new action hero, couldn't they find ANYONE better? Jesus. More than the awful CC design, the awful Snake Eyes costume, and the confusing editing, Tatum made this move suck. I know he's "just" an action actor in "just" a popcorn movie, but I expect more. I'm sure he made a bazillion dollars.

Though it was better than TF2.

I have to agree with everyone complaining about his diction. Worse than his flat acting and his total lack of charisma, he has lousy, embarrassing, amateurish diction.

Maybe that will pass down on the farm in Alabama, but this is a film. My wife and I are both theatre profs, and we were appalled at this actor. After every line he delivered we said, "What?!"

I know he's been in a few B movies, but if they are going to cast an unknown slab of meat in the role and try to force him down our throats as a new action hero, couldn't they find ANYONE better?

Not to pick on you or call you out, but why does this sound EXACTLY how I'd imagine a theatre professor speaking? @loll@

Duke was not in the Navy or the Coast Guard. Nor was he a Navy SEAL. I'm well aware that special operations units across all branches often are allowed "relaxed grooming standards" however in those cases there are two things that generally hold true:

You won't be in your dress uniform with "relaxed grooming standards"

and

You don't get to have "relaxed grooming standards" unless the upcoming operation calls for it. Given that nobody else in Duke's unit (except Ripcord naturally) seemed to be under relaxed standards, the difference is pretty obvious. Not to mention that the relaxed standards are there to remain "covert"...which you can't exactly do while wearing your dress blues for the world to see. Beyond that, relaxed grooming standards aren't for show...they're to blend in with local societies and cultures. If Duke had been wearing a turban and sporting a long full beard I'd have found it more credible than that perfectly-styled goatee he had.

Ahhh.....you're right about the dress uniform. I didn't even think about that. Still its a movie......I mean that's like number 311 on the "No way that would happen in real life" scale for this movie.

yoooooo!

you guys are comparing Tatum's acting to the Duke that we know from the toons and comics. WHY?

if everything else in ROC has changed, than why do you expect him to be portraying the RAH DUKE?

He wasnt RAH Duke, he was ROC Duke.... so you can't say "Duke should be..." because they wiped out all of the "should be" when they made this movie

I didn't like him as Duke simply because he either wasn't directed well or isn't a good actor. I haven't seen him in other roles so I can't say for certain. I also feel the character of Duke wasn't developed well and was written poorly. That part isn't the actor's fault. I do agree that his manner of speaking didn't seem to fit the character in the movie and he should have affected a different speaking style or it should have been a different actor.