G.I.Joe Rise Of Cobra Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

JayC

I just saw it after waiting way too long so I'm just going to post my thoughts then all go back and read what everyone else said (I'm assumeing this thread IS still about the movie and hasn't gone off topic into homosexuals or some nonsence :) ).

As a fan of the original cartoon and comic book series and owning what must be close to 1,000 figures, it thought it did justice to GI Joe. A lot of the action and even the more toned down scenes between the Joes were well done.

A lot of the things done in the movie that had no roots in comic or cartoon continuity, suprisingly, did not bother me much. Duke/Baroness romance, the CC is Baroness' brother thing, it was OK by me. Scarlett/Ripcord MAY have been a little tougher for me to swallow but I lived. Ripcord did not annoy which is all I was asking for. He got some good lines, actually.

I liked the scene where they were training in the PIT (too bad my Sgt. Stone figure looks nothing like Fraiser). The bubble gum bit was funny, and the "Knowing is half the battle" line.

Cover Girl...killed! Suprising, so I'm not going to complain (even though I JUST bought her figure today!)

Scarlett....HOT. Smoking hot! I have a serious crush on her. I was thinking about changing my little picture under my name, it's been there a while, but now it needs to stay up a while longer.

My main gripe, I guess whould be with two of the bigger action scenes; the accelerator suit chase and the sub-battle. I like seeing things I haven't seen before and it seems these two have been done. The accelerator chase was Iron Man--though I do give props to them RUNNING instead of flying, and the scene WAS pretty exciting. The sub-battle was just Star Wars under water. I might have enjoyed it better if it was shorter.

The SE/SS fights were good. The "origin" story/flashbacks were a little weak but I think that about any SE/SS origin that ISN'T the original Lary Hama story. And I understand they can only fit so much in.

Not a fan of the Snake Eyes rubber suit.

I enjoyed the Baroness' character a lot.

All in all, if you're a Joe fan and you can accept the fact that this is another one (of many) different Joe continuities, there's a lot to like, I think. Yo Joe!

#US1#

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One question:

WAS this G.I. Joe?

Tough to answer. What "is" GI Joe to you?

Is it the 80's cartoon?

It it the original comic series?

Is it the NEW comic series?

Is it Sigma 6?

Is it Resolute?

In my OPPINION, between all those choices, it's closest in FEEL the the 80's cartoon. But definately not a copy due to all the different character relationships. So you can now add "Is it Revenge of Cobra?" to that list I just made. They're all different in some way.

One question:

WAS this G.I. Joe?

The way I managed to get around my personal unachievable expectations, was to just block out that this is suppose to be a G.I.Joe/Cobra movie (despite the name ROC) and just take it in, as a movie that REMINDED me a lot of G.I.Joe and Cobra, and was pretty cool.

I like that answer.

And Cobras? We saw TWO (Viper and Elite Viper). Why no Eels, for example? Hell, the could do a "melty head" gimmick for that guy after tha accident.

The movie "Eels" were driving the subs......they looked just like the figures.

There were four types of Cobra Trooper in the movie:

The Viper Commandos in the initial convoy attack.

The Neo-Vipers during the attack on the Pit (They look very similar, but are actually different from the Viper Commandos)

The Elite Vipers (Guarding the ice-hangar)

EELs (Driving the subs)

5 if you count the "Star Trek" looking MARS Technicians in the Arctic Base control room.

Actuallly, I think the Eels and Elite Vipers ahve the same head sculpt (toys I mean). The underwater battle was hard to follow. I didn't even notice those guys (obviously)

CC actually has zero charisma, unlike comic cc. He didn't build any army, he didn't convince others to donate to his cause, he just used someone elses invention to control a few key people. It makes most of the villains have the potential to not really be evil. It also means the good guys might be killing people who are under mind control and otherwise would not be evil.

Y'know revSears, I'll be perfectly honest; I was reading your points and disagreeing with every one, except for this one. It does kinda take the edge away from Cobra Commander, to think he was just a scrawny punk scientist that resorted to his nerdy knowledge of nano-technology to create his army instead of being this bad-@$$ Euro-trash terrorist that had climbed his way to the top so to speak after years of illegal, black-market, quasi-military activities and pure ol' fanaticism. But then I have to ask myself: Which one is scarier, for him to have built his army from dangerous mercenaries and fanatical miltary dissidents from the worst warzones in the world, or for him to be this crazy scientist with intimate knowledge of deadly, terrifying technology who has built his army with people that are under mind control and will carry out horrific acts with no pain, no fear, and no emotion? Both are pretty terrifying to me really, but you still make a good point.

Really? You saw NOTHING wrong with the movie?

My list really wasn't a lot of opinions. The majority of it was just pointing out logic plot/holes. Some of them probably don't bother people. But if you mean my few points toward the end, okay fine. But like Pesatyal said, many of things are there wither they bother you or not. Don't understand disagreeing with those.

To me the reason of the un controlled army being more frightening is that each individual was brainwashing/programming themselves to an extant. It was more reminiscent of Hitler and others. Mind control like that only seems scary to me when they are actively trying to get EVERYONE. That didn't seem to be the case, not even everyone in power. That was one thing Roc really made look expensive and hard to pull off for the bad guys.

Thanks for reading agree or disagree, i know i was long winded this time.

One question:

WAS this G.I. Joe?

The way I managed to get around my personal unachievable expectations, was to just block out that this is suppose to be a G.I.Joe/Cobra movie (despite the name ROC) and just take it in, as a movie that REMINDED me a lot of G.I.Joe and Cobra, and was pretty cool.

Vh has the perfect answer for me. Was it Joe? No, not really. But it reminded me a lot about it. Though, i didn't seem to enjoy at as much as Vh did.

I had a hard time getting anyone to go with me. Most of friends avoided it and plan to continue that strategy. I finally got my wife to go with me, and in the end she did thank me, for taking her to a comedy @hmmm@

Just saw it with my son and we both LOVED it. I like the new twists, the origins of CC, Baroness, Destro, SE & SS. The action sequences were astounding! I also loved that the good guys didn't always win (Paris, the PITT)! How refreshing! And a villain could be redeemed (Baroness)! That only happened with SS (who was pretending to be a Cobra all along) and Mercer in the comic Joeverse.

And most astounding to me, PEOPLE GOT SHOT and even STABBED! How amazing is that!?! A Neo-Viper even got his head blown off by a grenade!

Plus, unlike Transformers, we got deep back story on

1. Destro

2. Baroness

3. Duke

4. Cobra Commander

5. Snake Eyes

6. Stormshadow

and even a little personality and motivation from Scarlett (all science, linguistics, intelligence, resists emotion) and Ripcord (wants to be a fly-boy, digs Scarlett, clumsy but tenacious).

That's more than most movies can fit in 2 hours and still have crazy action. The opening rescue action sequence was insane. Especially Scarlett with her crossbow. It showed how she wasn't super-human and had to adapt and overcome to beat the armored Neo-Vipers. And Duke rescues his bud before going after the WMD's? Show's heart, something the Duke character could use more of.

I just loved it, and so did my 7 year old son. Glad I didn't read all the negativity before seeing it. Cynicism is SO COOL, isn't it? :P

I do wish the Cobra gunship toy looked more like the movie version, and I also don't like the whole "vow of silence" thing. No Elite unit would allow that kind of thing, but I imagine they did that because they already had 4 characters in the movie get their faces deformed, they didn't want to push for a 5th and get an R rating.

Quibbles, though. That was a fun movie!

$20 says Ripcord takes on a the new code name "Ace" in the next movie! :)

OK, so I finally got to see it. Granted it was a crappy, often blurry bootleg copy (give me a break, I'm in Iraq, can't exactly run to the theater), and the sound was less than stellar, but I am pretty sure I got a good feel for the movie. Here is some of what I thought, and what others that watched it here thought too.

First, if you have never watched a military based movie with someone in the military, I have to warn you that the experience can be quite frustrating at times. We have a tendency to point out as many flaws as possible when it comes to the way the military is often portrayed. Normally, I think that would hurt a movie for me, but I think this time it helped me notice things I might have missed otherwise. That being said, I also think the soldiers that I know that saw it represent the demograph that they were going for with this movie. Most were 18-30, and some if not all, had some memory of the GI Joe franchise, but none (except myself) had any kind of deeper interest in GI Joe outside of those old memories. So anyway, moving on now.

Some things that I liked about the movie:

I really thought the action was top notch. The Paris chase scene was really nice (thought I'm not sold on the accelerator suits. more on that later though).

The battles between SS and SE gave me what I wanted. A good battle that didn't overshadow the overall story. The comics could learn something from that.

I felt the characters they chose were alright. This is where I think hearing other people's views on it helped me. While most of those characters are iconic to the Joe collector, most of the people that saw it with me couldn't really remember much about them. They kinda had a feel for Scarlett, which I could see since she appeared in several of the old cartoons, and I think her movie edition served as a good update to the character. Almost everyone else I talked to had no clue who Ripcord was before the movie, so having him played by Wayans was no big deal to them. When I tried to show them who he was to most of us, they thought the Wayans version was more fun, and fit better for the movie. SE and SS seemed to be good updates to their characters, and almost no one knew the real origin before this movie, so now they are all taking the movie to heart as fact for them, and they are happy with that little story. Most felt Hawk was good enough to pass, although they said he was awfully young to be a general. Again, watching it as a soldier has it's drawbacks. We felt Zartan worked for today. And when they remembered the old Zartan, they thought his iconic look was quite dated, and wouldn't have looked good in a live action movie. Something I would have to agree with (until I see a really good version to change my mind). No one had any problems with Baroness. I know I certainly didn't. They weren't fooled by the brother-sister thing with CC though. No one really liked that idea. It just seemed like a forced twist to make her mad at Duke. Speaking of CC, most thought he was a cool character as the Doctor, and we all kinda got a shiver when he used the 'Commander' line at the end.

Nobody seemed to mind Brendan Fraiser's character. He didn't steal the show by any means, and was only a cameo character, so it was no big deal. Most were puzzled why a 'star' of his 'caliber' would play such a small part that meant nothing to the story.

Some of the things we didn't like that much:

The accelerator suits. While I liked the concept, as did most of the others, it was the chase scene that did them in for us. At least the running parts. It looked cartoonish at best. Although we all seemed to like the scene with them going through/over the train. It just looked silly to see them running really fast. Honestly, if that's really the only scene that they were the main star of, they could have left them out altogether. They could just as easily had all three of the Joes in that chase on motorcycles, and I think the effect could have been very similar. Especially if they were suped up Joe cycles. I didn't hate the suits, I just didn't see the need for them, and didn't like them when they were running. And why couldn't they have incorporated some sort of flight capabilities. They obviously had the tech considering Baroness tried to escape on an individual flight type vehicle. I'm sure they would have looked too much along the lines of Ironman, but I think they were almost there anyway.

The vehicle choices. While I was pleased with the Cobra selection (with one exception, which I'll mention in a moment), I didn't care for anything the Joes brought to the table. I thought their transport looked silly. I thought the rockslides would have been better if they had been a single SnowCat of the new Ice Sabre. I didn't care for the subs at all. In fact, I think hate would be an appropriate word. I've never been a fan of the original Sharc. Until now. I would have loved to see an updated version of that vehicle. Something that looked new enough to be futuristic, but still looked like it came from the original Sharc designs. The one Cobra vehicle I was not pleased with was the Hummer. I was good with it until that huge bumper popped out of the front of the truck. Had there been a different way to pull that off without looking completely unbelieveable, then I would have no problem with the truck. The other bells and whistles on that truck didn't seem too crazy.

The Pit. I have no problem with the underground base. And I have no problem with them having some kickass training areas in there. But the underground underwater training area seemed a bit much. They just seemed to cram a bit much into a place that probably should have been a bit simpler. Also, no one I talked to was pleased that it was located in Egypt. Everyone remembered Joe as being a Real AMERICAN Hero, and they weren't buying the need for a base in Egypt. I'm sure it could easily be explained by talking about how the world is more volitile over in that area, and that would lead to quick deployments for missions. I even tried to use that explaination on the other guys, but none of them bought into it. They said it was an OK idea, but they wanted the Pit in America. Period. We are American soldiers stuck in a similar country so I'll chalk that up to the current environment.

Duke and Ripcord just basically walking on to the team. Just the fact that they took them to the Pit right away seemed silly. Hawk could have met Duke anywhere. I have no idea why he had to bring him to their secret location. Because some captain said he wasn't letting go of the case? Please. This is where our military instincts kick in. That scrub, Duke, would have been eating dirt and the Joe team would have been leaving with the case if they wanted to. There would have been no taking them to the Pit. They would have been taking them to the nearest military installation so they could be reprimanded for disobeying a lawful order from a GENERAL. Whatever. Maybe I'm being nitpicky here. It just seemed a bit far fetched to my miltary mind.

Finally, I think the pacing sucked. While most of the other guys didn't really seem to care much about the pacing one way or another, I felt like the story should have been at least an hour longer to properly tell the story. There could have been tons more character development. It's been mentioned that the CC story could been told better, and I have to agree with that. I also believe they could have fleshed out the story about the Joe team. We're pretty much just shown the team and told they already exist, so just go from there. We don't get any idea of why they were put together, who was in charge of the selections, how long they've been around, what other big deal missions have they been part of? There's still a lot of mystery there, and maybe that was done purposely. It just felt to me like they skipped right to the meat of things. and left out the appetizers.

So, those are some of the things that I've gathered from here in Iraq. I liked it overall, even with the list of things I disliked. I don't think it ruined it for me. And I don't think it ruined GI Joe. From what I've seen here, it's renewed the interest of a lot of people. I will likely buy this movie when it comes to BluRay. Not just because I'm a Joe fan, but because it's a fast paced action flick. Anytime I want to see explosions, car/foot chases, sword fights and hot babes, I can turn to this movie and not be disappointed. I believe there will be a sequel to this one, and I for one hope they take the time to tell a good story and throw in some explosions for good measure. I said I'd give the movie a chance, and it didn't leave me hating it, so I'll be back for more.

Overall I loved the movie made, me feel 11 years younger (hey I'm only 21) and thats exactly what they were going for. I do wish they had dressed up some of the random Joes that you see around the PIT, just made em a little less generic, like a guy in a green balaclava in the training area, a blond guy with a beard etc etc.

I really loved the SE/SS dynamic and their fight scenes were some of the best in the movie but I didn't like how SE suddenly couldn't fight well during the PIT attack when he goes against SS. Also I don't care if Duke is mad he shouldn't be able to touch Snakes in hand to hand combat.

The Scarlett/Ripcord thing was much much less pronounced then I thought it would be and they gave enough hints that SE/Scarlett had something going on, like how she was sitting and leaning on him during one of the initial briefing scenes plus she really gave Waynes a smack to the ego when she said she wasn't attracted to him, in all those big words she used.

Characterization was pretty spot on I felt,

-Tatum was a little wooden overall but nothing to horrible.

-Waynes was decent and added some humor

-SE was pure bada$$ but his rubber suit needs to be redone in the sequel but the mouth didn't bother me, Ray Park=perfect casting

-SS was just as awesome as SE and I enjoyed his portrayal.

-I found myself really loving the new Breaker and Heavy Duty, they were given good personalities and really added to the story I thought.

-Cover Girl didn't last long enough or have enough of a speaking role to make her death meaningful.

-Scarlett really made heads explode in this film(literally in a couple cases) and the extra brains bit adds a neat angle to the character for future movies.

-I liked CC more as the doctor, and I'm trying to convince myself that the mask he puts on at the end is something that is assisting him medically more so then the breather he had at first.

The CGI was very rough in some parts but overall I can't complain

I'm ready for a sequel, more Joes more Cobras, president Zartan, and possibly PIT 2 since the first one has been uncovered

I'm ready for a sequel, more Joes more Cobras, president Zartan, and possibly PIT 2 since the first one has been uncovered

I think they are going to the Flagg now instead of building a PIT 2. I'm sure as over the top the first PIT was, they can do something similar with the Flagg for the sequel.

I, too, am ready for Zartan as president. I could see him using that role to pardon Destro and CC, and possibly disband the GI Joe team just to start off the next movie with the feeling of impending doom. That would work for me. And then when Cobra is running amuck, and Zartan has been revealed, the US steps up to rebuild the JOE team to try and fix the mess. That would be a good way to introduce new guys, saying that Cobra has grown more powerful, and new Joes are needed to step up to the varsity team and help out that core of characters from the first movie.

One thing I was hoping for, was for the nanites to make CC's mask all shiny like they did Destro's. Then you plop a helmet on top, and the classic CC is back in business.

Well, I finally got to see this movie (the anticipation was killing me!) this afternoon.

Anyway, I loved it! It was great seeing the characters in live action. All I have to say is "sequel please!"

Well, and other thoughts:

1) Baroness was awesome, although I sure hope that her "turn to good" was all part of Cobra Commander's plan and she's really just infiltraiting the Joes, and setting herself up to free Cobra Commander and Destro. But in any case, she was perfect.

2) Ripcord was awesome (although he more resembled Stalker) and Duke was good too (although he seemed more like Flint to me!)

3) Snake Eyes was cool. I geeked everytime I saw him on screen. The "rubber suit" didn't bother me one bit. Plus on his "vow of silence" thing, that was kinda only Storm Shadow's assumption, so maybe not the real reason for not talking? Also he was sooo awesome during the "paris chase".

4) Destro was great. Played to perfection plus I like how he's actually scottish rather than sounding kinda black like the cartoon! Like how he had the relationship with Baroness. And the mask at the end? Awesome! I grinned so big! It makes sense that his mask is nanites around his head, since it moves with his mouth and such. My only complaint is the mask should be a little smoother. That's it.

5) Cobra Commander was.. o.k. When I first saw him as "the doctor" I thought he was Dr. Mindbender! (he did have a monacle strangely after all) Then again there is a Dr. Mindbender in the movie, so was Rex (Cobra Commander) in disguise as Mindbender? After learning all about the nanites, did he take Mindbender's identity to infiltrate Destro's organisation? Hmmm... But, yeah, the Cobra Commander costume sucks, c'mon give that guy a hood over his plastic skull mask in the sequel!

Anyway, I loved the movie, it felt like the 80's toon and made me feel like a kid, watching the cartoon! (All I needed were my PJ's and a bowl of cereal!) Yo, Joe! (I cheered when Heavy Duty said that..!)

P.S - thanks to anyone who bothered to read all my thoughts! #US1#

so was Rex (Cobra Commander) in disguise as Mindbender? After learning all about the nanites, did he take Mindbender's identity to infiltrate Destro's organisation? Hmmm...

I sort of wondered this too, esspecially since the Baroness didn't realize the "Doctor" was Rex, but hw could have programmed the nanites to have her mind not make that connection, still...

so was Rex (Cobra Commander) in disguise as Mindbender? After learning all about the nanites, did he take Mindbender's identity to infiltrate Destro's organisation? Hmmm...

I sort of wondered this too, esspecially since the Baroness didn't realize the "Doctor" was Rex, but hw could have programmed the nanites to have her mind not make that connection, still...

Well she had no reason to make the connection. Rex was dead as far as she knew. The Doctor looked nothing like her brother with all that stuff on his face.

I thought the movie was okay. I didn't care for the ending (except for how Zartan became president). I think the movie was a good homage to the cartoon (over-the-top sci-fi tech and crazy battle at a giant base) and the comic (convoluted relationships between characters like the Baroness, Duke, and Cobra Commander in this case).

Pros:

- I liked Wayans as Ripcord. I thought he was pretty funny and I have no attachment to the original character.

- Storm Shadow was really cool!

- I also liked Scarlett and the Baroness.

- Snake Eyes was cool and didn't overpower the story like he tends to do in the comics.

- I liked the Doctor and don't mind Cobra Commander's ex-military origins.

Cons:

- Why did Storm Shadow have to die?! I know he could be brought back for the next movie, but still! (I always preferred that Storm Shadow be a better ninja than Snake Eyes, but gets undone by his arrogance.) I guess that's what he gets for dropping out of ninja school so early...

- It doesn't make sense that they didn't kill General Hawk when they caught him off-guard at the Pitt.

- I didn't like how Destro got his living mask (although that was probably an homage to the cartoon). It didn't make sense to me why Cobra Commander would do such a jerk thing, unless he was mad Destro kissed his sister or something.

- Some of the CGI special effects didn't look too good

- Cobra Commander's origin was really rushed in my opinion. The transition from Rex to the Doctor was too jarring (Eleavitt's explanation a couple pages back would have been better than Rex being enthralled with the nanites upon first glance). I also thought the transition from the Doctor to Cobra Commander was a little goofy.

- Destro and Cobra Commander got captured already? So much for Rise of Cobra (although I'm sure this will probably be part of some secret master plan in the sequel).

I guess I'm in the minority that I enjoyed Transformers 2 (despite all its flaws) more than GI Joe, but I would still be interested in seeing a sequel to GI Joe if it ever came out.

PharmV

My list really wasn't a lot of opinions. The majority of it was just pointing out logic plot/holes. Some of them probably don't bother people. But if you mean my few points toward the end, okay fine. But like Pesatyal said, many of things are there wither they bother you or not. Don't understand disagreeing with those.

Oh hey, you're welcome man. I don't mind long posts. I'm long-winded as well sometimes...

And I want to clarify myself; I didn't mean to come across as disagreeing with everything you said. I just felt like alot of the things you had issues with were things I personally could explain away reasonably in my own mind. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh or dismissive. I did go back and read your post again and found that there was alot more that I agreed with than I initially thought.

And no pesatyel, I didn't think the movie was perfect. There were some minor things that kinda bugged me, but it was close enough to perfect for me.

Oh hey, you're welcome man. I don't mind long posts. I'm long-winded as well sometimes...

And I want to clarify myself; I didn't mean to come across as disagreeing with everything you said. I just felt like alot of the things you had issues with were things I personally could explain away reasonably in my own mind. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh or dismissive. I did go back and read your post again and found that there was alot more that I agreed with than I initially thought.

And no pesatyel, I didn't think the movie was perfect. There were some minor things that kinda bugged me, but it was close enough to perfect for me.

Lol no prob. I think a lot of it just nitpicks. It being an "origin" movie, hopefully the sequel will be tighter.

The only aspect I liked was Zartan - everything else was either mildly lacking or downright abominable.

The worst two things: The complete disregard for the loss of human life - during the Paris chase scene people would undoubtedly have died all over the place during that. Yet none of the characters nor the movie showed concern over that.

The other thing - the Baroness was basically pimped out by his own brother at least to Destro and the Baron, probably several more AND she was basically being raped knowingly by Destro and unknowingly by the Baron.

Those are just the worst two things. I have a lot of concern about Hasbro's movies as both Transformers 2 and GI Joe showed a complete disregard for human life and they are directly marketed toward young boys. What are future Hasbro movies going to look like?

finally saw it.

first let me say im not as die hard like alot of you here are.

i like the baroness. she was dead on, though i dont get the turn to good. it jacks alot of stuff up if she stays good. but hey, maybe its a plot tool for breaking them out in the sequel.

its funny cuz the biggest reservation i had about the movie was the kid playing cobra commander and that was prob the best acted part. dont really like the costume he had at the end but oh well.

ripcord, was imo, the worst part of the movie. he just couldnt act and then when they added teh love subplot with scarlett...ugh...i hated it being on screen.

im disappointed they at least didnt have more cameos. like during the underwater fight someonce coulda been like, "cmon shipwreck, we gotta go!". kinda like they did in the xmen movies with characters.

didnt care for the costumes. the whole thing abuto gi joe si that every character has someithng unique which is shown through thier uniform. like i know its sopussed to be real but like scarlett had her bow. and ya there were small nods to it but it coulda been more imo.

i really liked all the backstory.

i also really liked that they actually killed.

i do wish we can have a bigger cast next time. (heres hoping for chuckles)

i didnt like the Zartan issue. i thought maybe he shoulda been a merc or something.

it had a lot of star wars in it. for example. the sword fight between snake and storm. on a rasied lift like the death star with electricty all around. when duke ( i think) flys out of the cobra base and it blows up and he gets out right when it does ala lando in jedi.things like that.

good movie though, better than i thought it would be by far

You know....my imagination was going wild when I was thinking of the Pit and how big it is. In my mind there was a bunch of Joes running around that thing. Supposedly, in the rec room scene Bazooka's jersey is hanging on the wall....and there is dog bowls for Timber. I saw it twice and forgot to look both times.

You just know Shipwreck is somewhere on the Flagg at the end........The second could start with a ocean break-out of Destro and CC......Cobra Morays attacking the Flagg. Shipwreck beating up Eels......I think you get my drift.

I'm surprised at how many people liked Zartan.......I mean he looked the least like the cartoon/comic version....and people loved him. (biggest complaint before the movie came out, was the look of the characters) Maybe we can get some Dreaknoks in the second.....giving Zartan crap for being away from the swamp in a cushy job for so long without cutting them in on it.

You know....my imagination was going wild when I was thinking of the Pit and how big it is. In my mind there was a bunch of Joes running around that thing. Supposedly, in the rec room scene Bazooka's jersey is hanging on the wall....and there is dog bowls for Timber. I saw it twice and forgot to look both times.

You just know Shipwreck is somewhere on the Flagg at the end........The second could start with a ocean break-out of Destro and CC......Cobra Morays attacking the Flagg. Shipwreck beating up Eels......I think you get my drift.

I'm surprised at how many people liked Zartan.......I mean he looked the least like the cartoon/comic version....and people loved him. (biggest complaint before the movie came out, was the look of the characters) Maybe we can get some Dreaknoks in the second.....giving Zartan crap for being away from the swamp in a cushy job for so long without cutting them in on it.

i love arnold vislo (or whatever his name is) and my problem wasnt with him. he was good as what he was given but lets face it. that zartan just aint the same zartan in the cartoons. he could have easily been given another name. he was just too polished. i thought zartan was supposed to be a litte rougher, and liked to mix it up.

but in a time when moives has exslposions for anything, the carange in gi joe seemed right on, not forced. though the scene in paris where cars blow up for having a fender bend was crazy it still fit.

i thought that was the flagg at the end but i couldnt see a name anywhere.

it really was a good movie and blew my expections away. it wasnt forced which was what i feared the movie would eb like.kinda like tf2 was.

but to cameos. brenden frasiers character. i didnt catch his name but he coulda walked up and have been wearing a green ski mask and been rffered to as beachhead. little things like that

Finally got around to seeing this : AMAZING MOVIE !!!!!

Amazing that someone would actually cast that dullard as Duke !

Amazing-ly atrocious acting !

Amazing that they were able to cram just about EVERY possible movie cliche into a nearly two hour film !

Amazing that the director thought that cheesy flashbacks can double as character development !

Amazing that I was dumb enough to believe that it would be any different !

So amazing that I had to go see Inglorious Basterds immediately after witnessing this POS to help me remember what truly talented filmmaking can accomplish .

Should have kept the whole team of G.I. Joe as American soldiers. The U.S. is great, and there's no reason to be ashamed of it.

I liked the nanites and how they were used. They fit in with all the evil schemes COBRA has tried before.

As much as I disliked the Accelerator Suits, at least they said the Ninjas were faster, and they couldn't keep up with them. I knew the Accelerator Suits weren't going to be used that much in the movie, and I knew Ripcord wasn't going to be able to stop Storm Shadow from shooting the missle launcher, but in the short span of time they were going to use them I was afraid they were going to make all the other Joes as fast and acrobatic and Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow.

I do think the Accelerator Suits could fit in with G.I. Joe, however, I think they should have waited for a sequel somewhere down the road before they brought them in and give the Joes a reason to have the suits to begin with. COBRA could have invented the S.N.A.K.E. armor, and to fight against them the Joes create the Accelerator Suits. Then, to counter the Joes counter, COBRA created the B.A.T.s.

I still don't care for the Reactive Impact Armor being black, though. Snake-Eyes should have remained the only Joe in black.

I wish they had used one of the many already established African-American characters for Marlon Wayans to play. He did fine with his role, they just shouldn't have changed Ripcord's ethnicity.

Funny thing, though, I could have seen Shawn Wayans playing Stalker. I can see them bringing him in and making Stalker brother to Ripcord. I wouldn't want it, but I can see them doing that.

All the connections and relations among many of the characters they created for this movie that had never been established before really prevented me from being completely lost in the movie. Movies are my drug of choice for escapist entertainment and to forget about the real world. This movie didn't do it for me.

Too bad for all of the alterations. A Rose by any other name would smell as sweet. However, what we have here is someone giving us a Daisy and calling it a Rose. They kept the name(s), but the substance is different.

The ending was too short. Rex becomes Cobra Commander and turns McCullen into Destro only to be instantly arrested. Lame.

5/10

For another G.I. Joe movie, I'd like to see them do:

G.I. JOE: REBOOT CAMP

BACK TO BASICS, SOLDIERS!

One question:

WAS this G.I. Joe?

A tough question. After all to some, the original 60s toy military toys aren't GI Joe, to some, the Adventure Team isn't GI Joe, to some, the 80s 3.75" series isn't GI Joe, GI Joe extreme isn't GI Joe, and to some, Sigma 6 isn't GI Joe. I'll bet the children growing up on this movie now will look at whatever Hasbro does with GI Joe 20 years from now and say "That's not GI Joe!" So the REAL question is; "Was this YOUR GI Joe?"

One question:

WAS this G.I. Joe?

A tough question. After all to some, the original 60s toy military toys aren't GI Joe, to some, the Adventure Team isn't GI Joe, to some, the 80s 3.75" series isn't GI Joe, GI Joe extreme isn't GI Joe, and to some, Sigma 6 isn't GI Joe. I'll bet the children growing up on this movie now will look at whatever Hasbro does with GI Joe 20 years from now and say "That's not GI Joe!" So the REAL question is; "Was this YOUR GI Joe?"

Whatever Hasbro wants to call "GIJOE", IS GIJOE.

What I want to call it doesn't come in to play, but if I like it for what it is DOES come into it.

Its been said before, but a creation like this isn't a dialogue, its a monologue. We, as collectors and fans, just accept it or reject it. Calling it something else on our own does not make it so.

To that end, we cannot say that "Hasbro has abandoned GIJOE" or that "Hasbro sold out"--all we can say is that Hasbro has changed GIJOE into something I (we) don't like. Its their prerogative to change it how they see it, but its also out choice to accept/buy it or not as well.

It also boils down to if a fan chooses to accept the greater aspect, or the lesser one. If someone buys into only a select spectrum of what GIJOE is, say the smaller figures, and someone else buys into .......well, everything. GIJOE Extreme, Combat Heroes, Super Joe etc......is one collector a lesser GIJOE fan than the other??

I'd say no...........both like part of it for what it is, and that's all it takes. The beauty of the long life-span of GIJOE as a toy-line is that its got length and breadth, and a variety of different takes--literally something for everyone.

The better question might be: "Does it all have to appease everyone???"

One question:

WAS this G.I. Joe?

Whatever Hasbro wants to call "GIJOE", IS GIJOE.

What I want to call it doesn't come in to play, but if I like it for what it is DOES come into it.

Its been said before, but a creation like this isn't a dialogue, its a monologue. We, as collectors and fans, just accept it or reject it. Calling it something else on our own does not make it so.

To that end, we cannot say that "Hasbro has abandoned GIJOE" or that "Hasbro sold out"--all we can say is that Hasbro has changed GIJOE into something I (we) don't like. Its their prerogative to change it how they see it, but its also out choice to accept/buy it or not as well.

It also boils down to if a fan chooses to accept the greater aspect, or the lesser one. If someone buys into only a select spectrum of what GIJOE is, say the smaller figures, and someone else buys into .......well, everything. GIJOE Extreme, Combat Heroes, Super Joe etc......is one collector a lesser GIJOE fan than the other??

I'd say no...........both like part of it for what it is, and that's all it takes. The beauty of the long life-span of GIJOE as a toy-line is that its got length and breadth, and a variety of different takes--literally something for everyone.

The better question might be: "Does it all have to appease everyone???"

My first reaction is "textbook answer". That refers to "Whatever Hasbro wants to call "GIJOE", IS GIJOE. ".

But even your "better question", you already KNOW the answer, so why ask?

But even your "better question", you already KNOW the answer, so why ask?

Some people spiral into never considering that question, and "assume" that it has to be all things to all people. Sometimes, the obvious begs to be asked anyway.

Its not, and its never going to be despite the various calls we have that it be.

I'd like the whole gamut of GIJOE to be dropped into a single "universe" line, where ALL the aspects of GIJOE are presented in one scale.......but that's never going to happen, me thinks.

Some folks want........demand that oh-rings come back........some want 12" Vintage, some want Sigma 6 again.......and other dismiss each of those things as being "not what they want".

Some folks don't like ROC, some liked it from the outset and some were......."converted".

Its what we have right now, and it doesn't take away anything from what came before--so its partake if you please.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally saw the movie this week.

It was about what I expected. The parts that seemed cool in the previews were cool, and the parts that seemed ridiculous or bad were ridiculous and/or bad.

Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow were probably the highlights for me. I was mildly surprised they seemed to kill Storm Shadow, but that's Hollywood for you. Obviously he could still be alive, though. Or he could be brought back like he was in the original comic.

I didn't like their origin, though. It's vitally important that they be like brothers, and this portrayed them only as rivals because of Storm Shadow's jealousy/disdain. Big miss on that one. And the vow of silence thing was silly and pointless. It's better if they leave it to the imagination as to why Snake Eyes doesn't speak.

I thought Tatum was good as Duke and better than I expected. Wayans was what I expected (which wasn't good). Baroness and Destro were hit and miss. Quaid was OK as Hawk, but I hated the outfit and beret. He looked too amateurish and nothing like a general.

The whole Paris pursuit was weak and the effects were bad. They need to dump the accelerator suits for the next film (don't even mention their existence). I liked the nanites idea. Very comic book/cartoonish.