G.I.Joe Rise Of Cobra Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

JayC

Did anyone else feel the Star Wars vibe when the underwater battle was happening like starships or when Storm Shadow fell kinda like Darth Maul did?

Oh yes. A DEFINITE SW vibe in the underwater sequence. Part of it was due to the designs of the mini-subs, which looked just a bit too futuristic--they could have easily fit in the SW universe.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sat down last night and watched GI JOE the movie. I enjoyed keeping my childhood intact and will gladly take the chants of Cobra-La-La-La-La over this anyday. I may even rewatch season 1 today and feel proud to be a Joe fan.

@haha@ hey, I enjoy that G.I.Joe The Movie STILL to this day, and might just have to get it out and sit thru another viewing myself!

I haven't seen ROC yet, but I'm reading enough in the reviews to get the impression it's not going to anything I've ever hoped and imagined such a live action G.I.Joe movie could have been.

21st century Hollywood probably isn't the right time for this material anyway?

If you guys enjoy that take on GIJOE, then its likely that you will enjoy ROC.

Most definitely.

I saw it last night. I thought it was pretty epic. The only things I couldn't get into were Cobra Commander's new look, (though it looked more impressive in the movie than in toy form) I agree that some of the fight scenes were pretty hard to follow sometimes, I'm amazed that other joes didn't show up in the background. Especially Shipwreck and Snow Job considering they have figures, and dear god, Duke has GOT to get rid of that stupid Goatee ><

And though I'm more of a Snake Eyes/Scarlett kind of guy, I the idea of Ripcord/Scarlett was interesting. Especially since I'm always up for more mixed relationships in media

Did anyone else catch that "Lifelike hair and Kung-Fu grip" line? XD

Excellent movie.

Very nicely made.

Rex/Cobra Commander, Storm Shadow and Zartan were fantastic.

The rest of the cast too were amazing.

I really thought Marlon Wayans would be terrible, but surprisingly though, I have to say that he was the highlight of the movie.

Even Dennis Quaid and Channing Tatum did a decent job of making Hawk and Duke come alive.

Action sequences were terrific. Especially the Paris chase sequence, which was something I've never seen in my life.

The ending with Zartan as the president was unbelievable.

Vehicles, gadgets, acceletator suits were awesome. No complaints.

I really really really hope they make a sequel to this movie and pick up from right where it ended.

Now for the terrible part, which was undoubtedly Destro. Terrible terrible waste of character. Probably the best cartoon villain reduced to a joke. Absolutely unacceptable. Destro is and always will be my favourite character and that piece of crap was not Destro in my opinion. They better change his characterisation if there is a possible sequel or I am going to be pissed.

Overall, A+. Mindblowing experience and THIS IS GI JOE. No doubt! (except for Destro)

I sat down last night and watched GI JOE the movie. I enjoyed keeping my childhood intact and will gladly take the chants of Cobra-La-La-La-La over this anyday. I may even rewatch season 1 today and feel proud to be a Joe fan.

@haha@ hey, I enjoy that G.I.Joe The Movie STILL to this day, and might just have to get it out and sit thru another viewing myself!

I haven't seen ROC yet, but I'm reading enough in the reviews to get the impression it's not going to anything I've ever hoped and imagined such a live action G.I.Joe movie could have been.

21st century Hollywood probably isn't the right time for this material anyway?

If you guys enjoy that take on GIJOE, then its likely that you will enjoy ROC.

Most definitely.

NO. Because I am a continuity buff, and refuse to listen to a Cartoonist who sells fantasy for a living, and the biggest internet promotional pimp I have ever seen. Sorry Ken you know I like you, but I have to stand my ground on this. And as for that other guy.... <_<

Just saw the movie (first screening of the day, need to enjoy the movie without too many kids running around the theaters). I must say the movie rocks action wise almost non-stop. A little bit polish on the CGI and it would have been really awesome. They handled the background stories very well even though it was different from what we've known from the comics and the cartoons, the film was able to make it fit without forcing it. Most of the complaints are about the Accelerator Suits in the Paris pursuit scene, but I think all it needs really is some polish in the effects and it would be great, what annoyed me in that scene is the motorbike that one really looked unrealistic especially when it got bumped at the rear side and was still able to go and Scarlett still riding it, but then again its a movie. And being a big Snake Eyes fan, I just wish they should have not put in that line "Vow of Silence", I mean I could live with it but I wish it could have been done differently by sticking to the original or just plain don't explain it anymore why he doesn't talk or like maybe out of pure jealousy when they were kids Storm Shadow cutting out Snake Eyes tongue (ok thats brutal).

But in the end I totally enjoyed the movie, which is the most important for me.

I wish I had my $13.00 back. My mind cannot be made clean again. For entertainment sake, I wish I had taken my wife to see Julie and Julia or instead gone to Target and bought a new toy.

Don't see it unless you need to confirm for yourself just how bad it could be. You've already seen most of the only enjoyable things in the film from countless trailers and commercials: Sienna Miller as the Baroness and the Paris chase scene.

I feel like it's 1986-1987 all over again. Transformers gets the cool movie with Orson Wells and Leonard Nimoy and G.I.Joe gets Don Johnson and Burgess Meredith.

First off, I saw it this morning with my wife at a 9:40 digital presentation.

My wife, we barely knows who the main characters are, and barely watched the cartoon as a child, and not with me, groaned at every bad one lines or supposed fan boy reference. She also wants to know why Scarlet's "flak jacket" has built-in c-cups. Those are her words. She loves Kevin Smith, likes Star Trek, can enjoy Star Wars and enjoyed Transformers II more than she liked the first and she liked the first one. She loved Die Hard. So she isn't anti-sci fi or anti-geek.

I thoughts some of the acting was terrible. Wayans, Eccleston, Taghmaoui, and Miller were good. Nichols was bad. The others looked like they were acting over the top.

The CGI was bad. The scenes in the desert near the PIT were bad. I wish they would have just used semi-realistic technology for the G.I.Joe planes. The Osprey like jet things looked silly. The PIT looked unbelievable. The scene where they took the heavy elevator and Hawk explains what G.I.Joe is made me laugh out loud. Full underwater exercises in a underwater lake. The levels looked impossibly big.

I also disliked the Neo-Viper concept. Why has Hasbro been stuck on Neo-Vipers since 2002. The fact they were basically invulnerable to flames or heavy blunt trauma or heavy weapons fire was ridiculous. The fact that each Cobra had a pulse cannon or magetic rail-gun or whatever they had didn't make the seem dangerous or threatening. It just made G.I.Joe seem pointless.

I hated the underwater battle.

I liked Snake-Eyes and the mouth thing didn't bother me.

I liked Wayans as Ripcord. I liked Quaid as Hawk.

I said this when I reviewed the novelization. Fans of the Sunbow cartoon will recognize and like this G.I.Joe. Fans of the Marvel comic will probably groan. To be fair, I never liked the cartoon and I had origin films.

I wondered aloud with my wife if the fans who said they enjoyed this movie are merely suffering from fanboy delusions. They want their beloved property to be loved and respected that they cannot accept to see it besmirched or criticized. They want their movie to be enjoyed and be successful to be validated in some way.

This is a film for those under 12. It was well made 2 hour toy commercial. Those kids will like the one-liners. Those kids will snap up the toys.

Me, I will not buy any more movie figures than what I already did: Helix, wave 1 Stormshadow, Baroness, and Snake-Eyes, Desert Scarlet and Paris Snake-Eyes.

There may be a sequel, but the fans who liked it will have to hope that the Saturday grosses don't drop precipitously from the Friday grosses.

I wondered aloud with my wife if the fans who said they enjoyed this movie are merely suffering from fanboy delusions. They want their beloved property to be loved and respected that they cannot accept to see it besmirched or criticized. They want their movie to be enjoyed and be successful to be validated in some way.

No, I actually enjoyed the movie for what it was. Clearly, your mileage varied.

Why cast aspirations on your fellow fans or collectors because you did not like something--that is like saying our tastes are questionable and yours are sacrosanct.

NO. Because I am a continuity buff, and refuse to listen to a Cartoonist who sells fantasy for a living, and the biggest internet promotional pimp I have ever seen. Sorry Ken you know I like you, but I have to stand my ground on this. And as for that other guy.... dry.gif

Read the above.

Its okay to not like it.

All anyone asked BEFORE the movie came out was to keep an open mind.

Now that the movie is out and you have seen it........you no longer have to.

You do not have to like it, and I will never criticize you for doing so.

Sorry I wrote this line because I actually said it to my wife on the car ride home. I am discouraged that there were so many positive reviews. I didn't get the bad reviews until today. I don't get why so many people disliked Transformers 2 and liked G.I.Joe. I just don't see it.

People can like the movie but there were so many bad things about the film making. The script was rushed as Stuart Beattie acknowledged because of the writer's strike. The acting as a whole was bad. Channing Tatum bugged me as Duke. It was his accent and flippancy.

I had previously read the prequel novel and movie novelization so I knew what I was getting into. The nano-tech didn't bug me. I liked Destro, the Baroness, Storm Shadow and Rex Lewis. Those actors were good. It was the rest that bothered me.

Also, I said this before I saw the movie, fans of the Sunbow cartoon are going to drool.

No, I actually enjoyed the movie for what it was. Clearly, your mileage varied.

Why cast aspirations on your fellow fans or collectors because you did not like something--that is like saying our tastes are questionable and yours are sacrosanct.

NO. Because I am a continuity buff, and refuse to listen to a Cartoonist who sells fantasy for a living, and the biggest internet promotional pimp I have ever seen. Sorry Ken you know I like you, but I have to stand my ground on this. And as for that other guy.... dry.gif

Read the above.

Its okay to not like it.

All anyone asked BEFORE the movie came out was to keep an open mind.

Now that the movie is out and you have seen it........you no longer have to.

You do not have to like it, and I will never criticize you for doing so.

Its more that nobody seemed to really have ANY negatives about it. Especially considering how people felt before it came out.

i saw it and i give it a C-/D. oh there was about maybe 80 ppl in there with us tonight . it wasnt as bad as i thought but man it was not a great joe or action flick. there where 2 guys in front of us who asked to get there money back 1/2way through. 5 ppl walked out with them yelling wtf was this it is not joe.

some of the clips where just edit to hell with alot of stuff that was not in the movie. ie the part where rip said how do i go to the bathroom. baroness did not say a real American hero. so the clips where very misleading. though it was still bad.

good

was dukes flash back that used black hawk down scenes.

SE vs SS fight scenes

the pitt and the pitt battle.

SE in white

baroness kicking this sh**T out of scarlet.

flagg

well rip wasnt as bad i thought if i didnt think of him as rip. nor was he as bad acting as i thought.

bad

everything else. there where ppl who didnt like the deaths in Res. that had nothing on this. Cover girl was a wasted charter. SS at least had a good death. CC was just bad rex was nuts from the get go. Destro was good till the mask. joe had no real good rides beside the snow mobiles and the SKY PATROL/ TERMINATOR JET THING.

there was way to much going on to even think about the plot.witch was very stupid. Dr mindbender was real bad. jinx if that was her was ok but not used at all. Stone was just a way to have more of sommers mummy boys on the set. it had no real purpose to him being there.

there was only a few things from the comic. ie hawk in the wheel chair & the pitt the rest was straight out of bits and pieces from all the cartoon and not the good parts.

sommers needs to not take form other director and do his own thing. the baroness was bad but at least she did hook up with destro. for one shot. then she didnt know rex was the dr/cc that was so bad.

zartan was very under used. for what he was used for. the neo vipers that couldnt be killed unless shot in the head. the one neo who was dissolved into a goo of ash. when breaker stabbed him in the head to get info wtf.

oh and the nods to the fans was ok but the 70s one was real bad.

man the last battle was like watching Star Wars with the death star gun.

if they do make a 2nd one find a new director and need to change alot. to fix what they did with this one.

to end this one i feel bad for any kids who think this is how joe is. It was not a fun popcorn flick, or good action flick. Im glad i didnt spend my money to see it. 9t was paid for by my bud. the 3 guys i went with we 2 of us thought that is was not the best thing ever but very close to the worse. NFJ thinks it was ok.

I will tell you part I liked. The overall plot where James McCullen plots to use the Nanomite missiles merely as a ruse to replace POTUS with Zartan. That is a clever plot.

What still doesn't make sense to me is why, since MARS made the warheads, he couldn't weaponize them. Unless that was just an elaborate ruse so that it looked as these terrorists had taken them. But, why the weaponized already? Also, why the glorified lift show at the DeCobray labs to do this?

I will tell you part I liked. The overall plot where James McCullen plots to use the Nanomite missiles merely as a ruse to replace POTUS with Zartan. That is a clever plot.

What still doesn't make sense to me is why, since MARS made the warheads, he couldn't weaponize them. Unless that was just an elaborate ruse so that it looked as these terrorists had taken them. But, why the weaponized already? Also, why the glorified lift show at the DeCobray labs to do this?

Destro's "plan" was the worst part of the movie for me. NONE of it made any sense, other than the plan to have the warheads "stolen" by "terrorists" to fool the UN.

As for the point about president being replaced, Destro didn't know squat about the nanos. It was all Cobra Commander, thus the POTUS replacement was CC's idea, not Destro's.

Also, given what the nanos do, I guess that means no B.A.T.s in the sequel? That probably has to be the most significant change the movie made over ALL previous versions of G.I. Joe.

People died so they didn't really even NEED the B.A.T.s for the Joes to "kill".

I took it to be McCullen's plan because, when he talks to Duke, he tells him that the world will turn to the man with the most power (I'm paraphrasing) and Duke replies you? McCullen says, no, you don't see the bigger picture.

I also didn't mind all of the newness to G.I.Joe. I liked the new Cobra Commander and how he came to be. I liked more or less the novelization. What I saw on screen was poor: the acting, the dialogue, the CGI. I also would have liked it if Cobra had more conventional weaponry.

Well I saw the movie and I have to say I am really disappointed.

I was one who kept an open mind beforehand, and was really hopeful after all the early fan reviews. However, this movie was just awful.

I think the action was really well done for the most part. The Paris scene turned out to be my favourite in the whole movie.

However, the rest was terrible. The acting, the story, the pacing and the scenery.

I get the whole "in the near future" but the sets and bases were beyond ridiculous.

I give credit to Wayans, Miller and the actor who played SS. Good jobs all around. The rest including Quaid should be embarassed with how they handled the dialogue. Granted, the dialogue was dreadful as well.

Zartan and CC seemed to be on the cusp of being great characters, but never got the chance to be fleshed out further.

I'm Canadian, and this bothered me the most....WHY WAS THE PRESIDENT OF THE USA A BRIT????? GOOD LORD!!! This is 2009, not 1950, you can easily find actors to play the role who either are American or can do a proper US accent.

After all this, I am still going to to and watch it again, and maybe it will improve my opinion.

As for the point about president being replaced, Destro didn't know squat about the nanos. It was all Cobra Commander, thus the POTUS replacement was CC's idea, not Destro's.

No, it was clearly Destro's idea. He had Zartan studying the POTUS for 18 months. He was there when Zartan began the face reconstruction. CC told him that the 20th Viper was in position at the White House.

This is a film for those under 12. It was well made 2 hour toy commercial. Those kids will like the one-liners. Those kids will snap up the toys.

I just want to say for that comment that if I hate a certain movie (which was an adaptation of my favourite cartoon or comics) I will say as it is without trying to protect it. Period. But the truth is, I honestly loved the movie, the CGI, as well as the acting (except for Destro). So it's just a variation in people's taste, that's it. There's nothing wrong in liking something which others didn't enjoy quite that much, right? It doesn't necessarily have to translate into suffering from delusions or immaturity.

best thing to do for the sequel?

Kill off Duke, Channing Tatum cannot hold the starring role, in every scene anyone around him immediately took the spotlight over him. Channing Tatum is to G.I.Joe as Megan Fox is to Transformers.. completely unnecessary.

You know for all my bitching and griping in the past.......I really liked it.

The cartoon was pretty ridiculous.......lets get that out in the open first. I've been watching episodes this past week to get excited for the movie and I haven't really watched these in like 4 years.......CC actually kidnaps some scientists in one episode that has this gizmo that controls animals and Cobra has control for a little while.......they actually show a bunch of dogs on the steps of the capitol building....."Oh No, DOGS!"

All and all I think its a solid first effort...........did the movie have flaws, yes.......but no movie is perfect.

Paris chase was fun and cool..........accelerator suits and all. The previews relied on this scene way too much.

Scarlett and her Crossbow............heads beware.

Snake-Eyes was great.......but to be honest; I wanted to see more of Storm Shadow......I really liked the way he was portrayed......I wanted to see more of him and I hope we do in the sequel.

The Pit was awesome........the elevator scene brought a smile to my face.......I felt like I was 10 again. (Isn't that the point of these movies, and collecting toys on a whole, when did we get so serious)

All and all I felt like it was a 80's style adventure/action movie; something we've been missing for a while in the theatre. With just the right amount of cheesiness........ #US1#

My nerd rant..........

Baroness being "good" or whatever she is........I'm pretty sure they'll flip her in the next one, but I though it was a waste of a perfectly good villain in the end.

Dennis Quaid......I'm not a big fan of his to begin with......just didn't get the great leader vibe from him (Where's Ed Harris when you need him)

CC and Destro.........Meh, I'll wait until the sequel before I start bitching really hard......we haven't really seen much so far.

Still not liking the Joes being international.......but what can you do.

It was pretty much like the cartoon come to life.........Protecting a convoy in the beginning with something important and dangerous, Cobra attacks tries to steal object, Joe's fight Cobra, Cobra gets away, Cobra has some grand plan, they attack somewhere, Joe's fight them off, Joe's trying to figure out what Cobra is up to.

Yo Joe #US1#

The Pit was awesome........the elevator scene brought a smile to my face.......I felt like I was 10 again. (Isn't that the point of these movies, and collecting toys on a whole, when did we get so serious)

The past day and a bit, ever since I saw that elevator scene and the humongous water tank training area.......its preyed on my mind. As implausible as that setting is.......deep inside me, where my 8 yr old self still dwells I cannot help but scream out "Cool!!!".

Just the idea of a swimming pool THAT DAMN BIG just appeals the heck out of me.

I'm Canadian, and this bothered me the most....WHY WAS THE PRESIDENT OF THE USA A BRIT????? GOOD LORD!!! This is 2009, not 1950, you can easily find actors to play the role who either are American or can do a proper US accent.

(lol) Yeah...if I didn't love Jonathan Pryce so much, that would have bothered me as well. I thought he did a good job, although it did seem like he forgot he was supposed to be doing an American accent a few times. (lol) That reminds me though, something else I liked was how the president and others referred to the G.I. Joes as "Joes". It was just a little subtle touch that made it feel like G.I. Joe...