G.I.Joe Rise Of Cobra Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

JayC

Didn't have time to read everybody's comments, so if I repeat some talking points I apologize.

I went into it not expecting much, so it was better than expected for me.

Some pros:

Snake Eyes made a great transition from the comics/cartoon (of course minus the "new" origin). Ray Park did an excellent job.

Destro, I thought, was well portrayed

Enjoyed the easter eggs/shout outs to the fans like:

* Duke/SE combat training square off reminded me of The Revenge of Cobra cartoon.

* The Flagg!

* Breaker chewing the gum and blowing a bubble, even though he's now Moroccan. ;)

* Kung Fu grip and "Half the battle" references

* "Yo Joe!", although I thought they should have used an American Joe to say it

* Dr. Mindbender, although I thought it was going to be Dr. Venom

* Possible use of Doc?

* Hawk in wheelchair

* Scarlett referring to her father

Some cons:

The Baroness storyline I thought could have been better. Not sure about the Duke romance and CC as her brother and her not knowing it when he's the doctor.

Code names used as kids (SE and SS)?

Duke and Ripcord joining the team out of nowhere

Sgt. Stone cameo, kinda lame

Not enough background characters!!!

Storm Shadow using firearms just didn't seem right! I also agree with Jay, I'm thinking CC and Destro will find him frozen and bring him back from the dead for a sequel.

Zartan's whistling, was that the only indication they could use to identify him in disguise? An evil laugh or something might have been better

I thought the weapons/tech were too much of a focal point

Origin stories bothered me, it seems they replaced SS, SE and Stalker's 'nam origin with Ripcord, Duke and Rex. Snake Eyes being a thief and not using a blonde kid. Baroness should have had a foreign accent!

Flashbacks were nice, although the movie seemed really rushed.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from seeing it, and I have to say it was alot of fun and I enjoyed it immensely.

Pros: I really liked the story. I was concerned at first about how the characters were tied together, like Duke and Baroness having a past relationship and how Rex figured into it all, along with the origin of Snake-Eyes' and Storm Shadow's feud, but after seeing how they pulled it off, it made alot of sense and worked well.

I absolutely LOVE the Vipers in all their incarnations. I thought they were so well done. Now I want to go out and buy tons of all of them. (lol)

I loved Brendan Fraiser's cameo. And...did I hear them right? Did they call him Sgt. Stalker?! I wouldn't be totally against him being in a sequel, and quite honestly I'm suprised no one else has brought it up. Maybe they called him Sgt. Stone and I mis-heard. Can anyone clarify this for me?

I loved every character's portrayal. They nailed them. And I even liked Breaker; he stood out as a favorite when I didn't expect him to.

LOVED Scarlett and her bad-@$$ crossbow. Just awesome...

Snake-Eyes was awesome in every scene. They could have just done a movie about him and I would have been happy.

I thought Sienna Miller played an excellent Baroness. And it made alot of sense when they explained why she's called the Baroness, at least in the film.

I loved the whole attack on The Pit scene.

The firefight scenes were very well done and alot more brutal than I was expecting.

I really liked the flashback scenes that explained how all of these characters were connected to Duke.

I also really liked the ambush scene in the beginning and how it established just how sinister and threatening M.A.R.S. was. (I almost typed Cobra just then, but I caught myself...) (lol)

And I'm like JayC in that I liked how they attributed Zartan's disguising powers to the nano-technology; it made perfect sense whereas it was always fuzzy in the old books and cartoon.

I really liked Dr. Rex's character. It reminded me of a cross between Heath Ledger's Joker and an evil Neo from The Matrix.

The action scenes were very well done and alot of fun to watch.

I predicted that Ripcord's character would be tough yet funny comic relief and I was right. I was however afraid that he'd be over-the-top and annoying if not done right, but Wayans pulled it off and did a great job. He was funny without being annoying.

The Cons: I almost want to complain about the futuristic technology (This movie is just saturated with it...), but then I keep reminding myself that the film is set in the not-too-distant future, so it's okay.

I loved Cobra Commander until his voice changed whenever Rex put the new mask on. Even though his voice as Dr. Rex was a little over the top, I liked it alot better than when he actually becomes Cobra Commander; it just seemed a little comedic and cheesy when he does that evil laugh towards the end of the movie. (lol) And I also wish that his coup of M.A.R.S. would have been a little more dramatic and brilliant, although the implied subterfuge is pretty fitting for the character...

I just have so few cons for ths movie. These are very minor complaints. Overall I would have preferred the movie be more grounded in reality, but I really really enjoyed it alot. It was alot of fun to watch and makes me want to see a sequel...right now. (lol)

Saw it.

Two thoughts:

As a movie, this is abominable. It is not great cinema at all.

As a GIJOE movie, it rocks the casbah. Its pretty much exactly what I was expecting.

Loud, brash, cheezy, hot chicks, cool action, dopey dialogue, impossible situations, explosions, gunfire, cool tech. Its everything that GIJOE has ever been, and then some.

This is not a movie to analyze, because there's not a lot of depth to it at all. Its a movie to sit down with a tub of popcorn in your lap, a big cold drink and to just regress to being 8 yrs old again.

This is what it was made for, and this is what it is.

(lol) You nailed it ARROW. My thoughts exactly my friend. Like I said it was alot of fun...

Thanks for explaining 99% of the movie, it reaffirms my decision not to see this crapola. I noticed no one mentioned the scarlett and ripcord situation. It must have been a irrelevant point in the movie.

Joe always had some kind male-female thing going, so why not them? I didn't think it was that big a deal other than the fact those two characters, along with Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, were the ONLY characters to have any real backstory or characterization.

But that reminds me, if Snake Eyes took a vow of silence after the death of old guy at the school, how did he get into the military?

And, all the argument about "black Ripcord", the fact the character was black didn't bother me as much as he more, IMO, resembled Ace then Ripcord. Hell, he's called that like twice.

Because it's totally out of place. This is a sigma 6 movie anyhow so that also played a part in my choice not to see it. I'm friggin done with Sigma 6 flush it already.

Your not going to see it because Ripcord and Scrarlett show a bit of interest in each other?

It was....adequate. Based on things I read up till now, I thought it was going to be worse than it was. I don't know if I'd watch it again, but I'd have to say I'm glad I saw it.

Zartan was a crappy master of disguise. Couldn't they hire someone who had some skills or something in it? I'd have taken Murdock, Face or Hannibal over this loser.

So Rex Lewis, in 4 years, creates a global terrorist organization?

I can, officially, point out that from my discussions with Jmacq1 in another thread that I was right about those lame accelerator suits ONLY appearing in the Paris sequence.

The Paris sequence was way too long and a little boring since we saw most of it in the trailers. And the accelerator suits were pretty pointless.

Did anyone see the Sigma 6 symbol in the closing credits?

I like that the attempted to include some actual toy vehicles (Rockslide, Steel Crusher, Mantis (sorta) and Night Raven). I didn't include the "Cobra Gunship" because that dinky thing we got as a toy was NOT what we saw in the movie.

Snake Eyes looked ##$%$#ed with a mouth. Not to mention he just really wasn't as cool as the "original" version. Vow of silence? Whoopty doo. Surviving a helicopter accident that scarred you and damaged your vocal cords? Tragic hero. At least that gave him a reason not to take off his mask. Here he was just creepy.

I was almost right about Cover Girl...she didn't even GET to serve Hawk his coffee before she got offed.

Were the damn Vipers bullet proof or not? During the ambush, the soldiers couldn't hit them for squat (or more they could but the bullets didn't do anything). Then the Joes show up and suddenly even Scarlett's crossbow (at least I think that's what it was, based on her original character since she never loaded it or anything) can pierce their armor.

Destro's head becoming a metal mask from the nanotech? Who was it that was saying "just like the cartoon"?

I don't think Destro's ancestor would have survived having that RED HOT HUNK OF METAL wrapped around his head.

Destro's plan was completely idiotic. He creates these nanobombs for his clients in the UN and then has the Baroness attack the convoy to make it look like the UN forces lost them. Wouldn't it have made more sense to just, I don't know, NOT tell anyone you have them? Why even bother with the lame attempt at subterfuge with the stupid convoy. THEN he's gotta raid the lab in France to ARM the stupid things? WTF? His ultimate goal was to put the fear of god (or whatever euphamism you want) into the world so they would look to him as a "protector".

How much money did he spend building that underwater base, not to mention all the tunnels and crap he built into the ice shelf.

The acting was pretty wooden. The only one who didn't seem stiff was Wayans.

I think everyone was like "who the hell is Dr. Lewis? Why not Dr. Mindbender". Well know we know why. At least Mindbender got a cameo.

At least Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow fighting didn't dominate the movie like in all the previous movies they put out.

For me it just didn't have the "feel" of G.I. Joe. You could have named the characters anything and had the exact same movie. There wasn't any characterization enough to say these characters were who they were supposed to be. Hell, I would have accepted the Roadblock ripoff version of Heavy Duty.

You'd think the team would have had some kind of UN sanction or diplomatic immunity or something (or that they people in charge would have "oked" their operation in France).

DEFINATELY won't be seeing any Dreadnoks any time soon, eh?

Apparently the no fly zone around Washington doesn't exist in this universe?

Why would Destro even need the nano bombs if just one of his gunships is that powerful? It was completely bulletproof and those energy cannons were pretty nasty.

The Duke and Baroness plot part was lame. She was SO in love with him that she was able to override the nanos?

Breaker was skilled at "stealing memories" from corpses? WTF? Did you know that around the time of the Ripper murders, the police believe that, if you took pictures of the victim's eyes, you could see the last thing they saw when they died? The hoped to get a glimpse of the killer that way. They could have at LEAST included Psyche-Out or something for that.

I don't think the Baroness and Storm Shadow were wearing seat belts for that accident. For as much damage and as many flips as that Steel Crusher made, they sure got through it easy.

Why was the Pit in Egypt? Apparently the bad guys knowing the location of your secret base is of no concern since they "captured" them.

Why did we need the backstory with Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow? The least they coulda done was use it to explain how/why Storm Shadow appears in the sequel.

Sorry dude but you just gave all the reasons of why this movie was just like the cartoon!

it was super un-realistic and full of fantasy Military action! hell I thought the most amazing scene was the Paris Pursuit and the accelerator suits! so much fun!

It may rape your childhood having the backgrounds change with rex/duke/baroness but the Fun is still all there!

Plus a ton of guys get wacked! and pretty gruesomely! i was happy about it not being laser beams and simple punches.

Where did I say ANYTHING about it "raping my childhood"?

I gave my two cents (ok maybe 4 lol) after seeing it. I admit, I tend to be cynical about movies today, but that is generalized toward action movies NOT this one particularly.

Besides, most of what I said was to promote discussion. Are you saying there was absolutely nothing wrong at all?

Just got back from seeing it a second time this time with my wife, She thought the movie was okay but she did not like the whole Baroness/Duke relationship thing, she thought it was distracting from the overall story. I had to laugh cause I figure that whole thing was put in the movie to likely try and attract her demographic.

The movie theater we went to was showing it on two screens and every showing this evening seemed to be selling out which is a good sign and there was a lot of clapping at the end of the movie so most people seemed to enjoy it which was another good sign. Initial reports are indicating Joe could pull in somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 mil this weekend which wouldn't be to bad.

Saw it.

Two thoughts:

As a movie, this is abominable. It is not great cinema at all.

As a GIJOE movie, it rocks the casbah. Its pretty much exactly what I was expecting.

Loud, brash, cheezy, hot chicks, cool action, dopey dialogue, impossible situations, explosions, gunfire, cool tech. Its everything that GIJOE has ever been, and then some.

This is not a movie to analyze, because there's not a lot of depth to it at all. Its a movie to sit down with a tub of popcorn in your lap, a big cold drink and to just regress to being 8 yrs old again.

This is what it was made for, and this is what it is.

(lol) You nailed it ARROW. My thoughts exactly my friend. Like I said it was alot of fun...

He probably did. My only real complaints were the Paris scene and Destro's Plan. Everything else was probably just nitpicking lol.

Thanks for explaining 99% of the movie, it reaffirms my decision not to see this crapola. I noticed no one mentioned the scarlett and ripcord situation. It must have been a irrelevant point in the movie.

Joe always had some kind male-female thing going, so why not them? I didn't think it was that big a deal other than the fact those two characters, along with Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, were the ONLY characters to have any real backstory or characterization.

But that reminds me, if Snake Eyes took a vow of silence after the death of old guy at the school, how did he get into the military?

And, all the argument about "black Ripcord", the fact the character was black didn't bother me as much as he more, IMO, resembled Ace then Ripcord. Hell, he's called that like twice.

Because it's totally out of place. This is a sigma 6 movie anyhow so that also played a part in my choice not to see it. I'm friggin done with Sigma 6 flush it already.

i saw the sigma 6 loho at the end credits......its good sigma 6 isn't forgotten and i hope it never will with us sigma fans-- i dont think it'll go away. ever.

saw it last night and it was better then i expected. now i am not a big joe fan and i dont know all the back storys but it was ok. kind of what i expected. a lot of boum boum boum and thats it. loved the movie all the way. not boring as transformers 2. the things i did not like

-rex beeing the doctor and then cobra commander? i mean he was great as this crazy doc. they should have seperate them.

-the rise? haha, i am cobra commander and one minute later he is in jail? lame.

-cobra commanders outfit sucked.

had a lot of trouble with cobra commander. i think that was it. oh and the accelerator suits where kind of lame.

I think the movie was good. I give it a B, it could have been better, but its a business, and they have to draw in new people. Yu have to look at it in another persons point of view. My son who is 7, loved the movie, I think 7 is the age I first found gi joe. I like the special effects, they were not the best, but I have seen movies that were just plain bad. The story is not the one I know from my childhood, maybe very small pieces, but I agree, there should have been more easter eggs for the adult collectors who are seeing the movie, I dont think it would have cost them that much to do it. But maybe when the dvd comes out. Yes some of the action was like WTF, like when snake eyes was jumping over the cars, but to children, my son was like WOW, he wanted to go to TRU and get the snake eyes custome after the movie. I like the A suits, think about it, if you are the best at what you do, would you like to be even better. I mean man if I could do eveything 10 times better than I do it now, I would wear that suit all the time. I the only question was why only 2 suits, and when cobra took offs dukes, why didnt they keep it/use it. How come Ripcord didnt put it back on, when he went back to the artic. But these are question that WE collectors aks, becuase we are the biggest critics.

I enjoyed the movie, and with this movie, hopefully alot of good thing will come out to help GI Joe stay around longer, I hope they can come back and finish the damn 25th line, still missing people. But atleast the movie is bring some vehicles out.

The person who played Zartan is a big star, he has been around for along time, I think he just did have enough screen time, the movie was mostly Duke and Baroness.

See...I found the whole Duke/Baroness relationship interesting. I liked how Duke could never bring himself to go all the way in stopping her because of his feelings for her. That just made each situation between them interesting.

And I forgot about something else I loved; I loved that scene where Baroness delivers Duke to Destro as a prisoner, and after he kisses Baroness in front of Duke, he gets up in his face and starts trash-talking him. And that was when Duke head-butts Destro, knocking him to the floor. (lol) I loved that part, and there were even some people in the audience that clapped at that part, which I thought was great.

Ohh...and I absolutely loved those Elite Vipers. I saw one at Wal-Mart once and loved it, but I ddn't know if they were actually shown in the movie, and they were. they looked so very cool. And I loved how they had that Stormtrooper-transmitter voice when they talked.

My brother's wanting to see this movie, so I'm hoping we'll be able to go back next week and I'll get to see it again.

i thought the baroness/cc/duke thing was great and worked for the movie.....the only reason it kinda bugged me was because I know the true back stories and that if anythign baroness and snke-eyese should have known each other since baroness thought for years that snke-eyes was the one that killed her brother and the CC and her should be no where related.

Saw it, enjoyed it...

- Cool to see almost every viper figure they made in the movie

- Sure wish the toy gunship looked as cool as the one in the movie

- Despite being in only two very short clips, am I the only one who thinks jinx is just as hot as scarlett or baroness? :P

- Kinda disappointing to hear Duke mention RHINOs in the first scene, only to find out they weren't the RHINOs I was thinking of (but then again he wasn't a joe yet so I shoulda saw that coming)

- I like how everything is set up for the sequel:

- with zartan President, he can pardon destro and cc, and probably find a way to disband the joes

- since Baroness can't remove the nanomites, CC can probably use that as a way to regain control of her

- assuming SS had nanomites injected in him as well, he'll probably eventually heal and come back

Did anyone else feel the Star Wars vibe when the underwater battle was happening like starships or when Storm Shadow fell kinda like Darth Maul did?

Yes and even more so the second time I watched it. Even the pulse canon reminded me of the scenes in Star Wars where the Death Star would fire it's weapons.

I also couldn't help notice how he fell to his death and landed in that ice water. This makes me wonder if they aren't taking a page from the Marvel Comic series and how they will bring him back for the next movie.

Ofcourse he survived.....he has to go rescue CC & Destro

Hey sgnt salvage and captain america got frozen in ice and came back

I sat down last night and watched GI JOE the movie. I enjoyed keeping my childhood intact and will gladly take the chants of Cobra-La-La-La-La over this anyday. I may even rewatch season 1 today and feel proud to be a Joe fan.

I sat down last night and watched GI JOE the movie. I enjoyed keeping my childhood intact and will gladly take the chants of Cobra-La-La-La-La over this anyday. I may even rewatch season 1 today and feel proud to be a Joe fan.

@haha@ hey, I enjoy that G.I.Joe The Movie STILL to this day, and might just have to get it out and sit thru another viewing myself!

I haven't seen ROC yet, but I'm reading enough in the reviews to get the impression it's not going to anything I've ever hoped and imagined such a live action G.I.Joe movie could have been.

21st century Hollywood probably isn't the right time for this material anyway?

@haha@ hey, I enjoy that G.I.Joe The Movie STILL to this day, and might just have to get it out and sit thru another viewing myself!

I haven't seen ROC yet, but I'm reading enough in the reviews to get the impression it's not going to anything I've ever hoped and imagined such a live action G.I.Joe movie could have been.

21st century Hollywood probably isn't the right time for this material anyway?

If you guys enjoy that take on GIJOE, then its likely that you will enjoy ROC.