G.I.Joe Rise Of Cobra Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

JayC

With the movie hours away from opening I'm going on and starting a thread for those who have seen it to talk about the movie. I won't post any spoilers till after midnight.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok now that the movie has opened lets talk Joe. Again get outta here if you haven't seen the movie cause this thread is gonna be filled with SPOILERS.

What worked.

I liked Zartan, I liked the idea of him having his shape shifting abilities from the nano technology, i liked his ruthlessness when he killed Cover Girl and I liked the twist at the end.

I like Stormshadow. I think his character was near perfect in the movie. I think in the comic adaption he says to Snake-Eyes he didn't kill their master which didn't get said in the movie which probably should have but otherwise great performance. The connecting swords seemed to be a nice omage to Darth Maul as did that whole final battle scene between him and Snake-Eyes. I also couldn't help notice how he fell to his death and landed in that ice water. This makes me wonder if they aren't taking a page from the Marvel Comic series and how they will bring him back for the next movie.

Baroness as the character I think did a great job. It took a little getting used to the idea of her being someone who almost married Duke and the brother of Cobra Commander but overall it seemed to work for the story. I can't help but wonder if she won't have some type of relapse and return to the side of the bad guys for the next movie.

Destro I thought was decent. I didn't like how the mask at the end was part of the nano technology, I thought it would have been better if he had just put on his ancestors mask but the part of CC injecting him with the nanos and screwing Destro was a Cobra Commander like move.

Cobra Commander I thought was better when he was playing the Doctor. He got a little over the top once he put the Commander mask on at the end. Again the whole being releated to Baroness took a little getting used to but being a ex-military scientists who created this nano-technology which seems to be the hart of Cobra's power makes alot more sense if you think about it than being a disgruntled used car salesman who creates the largest terrorist organization in the world, and if you think about his cartoon origins he was a scientist. The manipulation was there as really the whole nano thing was just a cover up of the real plan which was getting Zartan in position, this again was a great twist and really help make the story.

Snake Eyes again was a near perfect character. The only thing i didnt really like here was how they said the reason Snake-Eyes didn't talk was because he took a vow of silence once his and Storm Shadows master was killed as opposed to the accident he got in Vietnam. I liked the artic costume it was kinda cool looking in the movie.

Scarlett was good overall, a little more the brainy type than I'm used to but it worked well overall.

Duke again took a little getting used to the whole Duke/Baroness thing but thought he did a decent job in the role. The scene where he and Snake-Eyes are sparing and How Duke keeps getting knocked down but won't quit and finally gets a hit on Snake-Eyes I thought was good.

Ripcord didn't annoy me like I thought he would. I still don't look at the character much as Ripcord but as a character on its own Waynes did a decent job. The scenes with him and Scarlett were funny.

Hawk, Heavy Duty and Breaker made for decent background charatcers, the buble gum scene for Breaker was a nice omage.

What didn't work so well.

Basically the special effect is where this movie takes the hardest hit. Many of them come off as fake and cheesy looking. The whole chase scene in Paris especially when Snake-Eyes is leaping over cars in mid-air just didn't look good. Alot of the battle scenes got very convalated and it was hard to follow who was doing what. I know a lot of people like to knock Michael Bay but for all his faults the man puts together a lot better action battle scenes than what was done in this movie.

Plot holes or just nitpicks.

Didn't make sense why Cobra didn't kill Hawk in the Pitt. They left him alive so he could alert the other Joes??? Again though it let him make a wheelchair appearance which made for another homage to the comics I guess.

The whole underwater base is exploding and the arctic surface is coming down around them and yet the elevator to the surface still works????

What was the point of Scarlet putting on the invisible suit in close hand to hand combat with Baroness, not sure how that was gonna help her?

Where did the Cobra symbol on the sub come from at the very end????

Probably my biggest issue was the lack of any real easter eggs for the fans. So many wide open shots of the Pit and tons of random Joes. They could have easily stuck some recognizable characters in the background. A sailor with a beard? A surfer looking guy with shaggy blonde hair and beard? C'mon, something.

I did like the bubble gum with Breaker. Referencing a joe submarine as a Sharc. Hawk wearing a bomber jacket. The USS Flagg at the end.

And.. not gonna lie. The bladed tonfas that Snake Eyes had? Those were rad!

Probably my biggest issue was the lack of any real easter eggs for the fans. So many wide open shots of the Pit and tons of random Joes. They could have easily stuck some recognizable characters in the background. A sailor with a beard? A surfer looking guy with shaggy blonde hair and beard? C'mon, something.

I did like the bubble gum with Breaker. Referencing a joe submarine as a Sharc. Hawk wearing a bomber jacket. The USS Flagg at the end.

I think the chic who was first seen testing out the camo outfit was supposed to be Jinx.

I was shocked just how much I liked it!! Ripcord.... wow actually liked him.... a lot and Waynes can act better than I thought lol Duke was cool. Snake Eyes and Scarlett badass. I even like Breaker. Not a big fan of Heavy Duty and its not because it was not Roadblock just didnt like him much. Loved Rex and like Jay I think the CC origin works so much better than the used car salesman. baroness being brainwashed is ok..... I kinda sense SS will not be and maybe she is the one that goes back and forth. Bet she is reactivated by CC in the next movie obviously. Zartan was well..... creepy in a not a lot of showing way...... look forward to seeing more of him in the next movie. Loved the bubblegum nod with Breaker, the Flagg and Hawk in the bomber jacket. So bring on part 2, just add some more Joes and a few key Cobra's like Firefly and I will be happy! :)

Draven

I think the chic who was first seen testing out the camo outfit was supposed to be Jinx.

I was thinking the same thing. And I was shocked Cover Girl got offed.... Oh and we all know Storm Shadow is not dead and they look to be using the comics for the source of his non real death imo.

Draven

For the most part I agree with you, JayC.

Snake-Eyes was great especially his first appearance. I was disappointed by his/Storm Shadow's origins. Also, the lower part of his mask was distracting to me. I know a couple of his figures have the mouth-inprint. However, I would have been happy with a more solid mask.

Neo-Vipers not having any sense of self-preservation, and a lack of pain. Yet, for some reason screamed when falling down a shaft or having their head blown off by a grenade.

Destro's mask was disasterous. Wow, Moriarty's mask from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was better than this.

Just a few nitpicks. As I stated in a previous thread, I enjoyed the first half, the rest was kinda hard to swallow. I will go back and watch it again, buy the DVD, and get ready for a better kickass sequal.

****SPOILERS*****

I came into this moving with low expectations and I'd say I came out surprised in some regards and let down in a few others.

Things I liked:

- Characterizations -

Most were spot on, especially the Cobras, a few sucked badly. Hawk was probably the worst as he suffered from bad acting (a big fumble by Quad) and terrible dialogue (a gripe I will get to later). The Baroness/Duke/CC/Ripcord connection was also pretty bad, but it was at least passable. Though how the Baroness turned out in the end sucked. I'd say one of the biggest highlights was CC/Doctor/Rex. Levitt did a great job and I like how they redid his backstory. Though they never explain his quest for domination his motivation of science (even sprinkling in some Dr. Venom) was awesome. Even Marlon Wayans was good. Breaker was also very good.

- Plot -

Up until the end of the final battle I loved it (CC and Destro getting captured). You can definitely see Larry Hama's touch here. A lot of his elements from the comics made it in, including an update of the brain wave scanner. The overall plot by Destro and MARS was clever and I'd say a notch above most movie villainous plots. The Snake Eyes / Storn Shadow dynamic was awesome, as were their fight scenes. The flashbacks were a little convolouted, especially CC being the Baroness' presumed dead brother who was in the military with Duke who was engaged to the Baroness who ends up with MARS through CC's new brainwave / nanotech but never realizes it is her brother because she thought he died on a mission where Duke called in an airstrike that came early on a bunker CC was checking as a science officer and killed him. Now what CC does in the afforementioned bunker and how he becomes CC is pretty awesome. But the mess before it is my only real gripe with the plot. In all it was very solid, though easily predictable.

Things I didn't like:

- CGI / Astetics -

The CGI was flat out bad in most of the movie. It made some of the action scenes look silly when just a little touching up could have made a good scene. I'd say the only thing that didn't look bad was the actual strike and destruction of the Eifel Tower, which actually looked pretty awesome. The pursuit leading up to it was pretty bad though. Of course the Accerlerator suits were stupid, the didn't really fit the plot (as it was stated over and over again that Joes were the best of the best, so why the hell would they need these suits) and the coreography with them was terrible. It took what could have been an awesome chase through Paris and made it overly silly (as did Scarlett whipping around on a motorcycle and the invulnerable Humvee). And Destro donning his mask for the first time was putrid. The CGI looked really bad and kind of detracted from what could have been a really cool scene. But the biggest fumble was Snake Eyes and his molded mouth. It seriously looked down right stupid. It has to be up there with bat nipples. It was just bad.

- Dialogue -

This for me was the letdown. I came in expecting some cheesey one liners and I got those, some of which weren't bad. But in total the dialogue was a mess. In some cases the acting didn't help (Hawk) and in some cases it was just bad (Duke). It really detracted from the movie. If the dialogue was just a bit more polished this movie would have been awesome. The plot points it was driving worked but the dialogue really fell flat.

In all I enjoyed the movie. The dialogue made it pretty rough going but if you think of this movie more as the cartoon and not the comics or toy backstory it works. The movie comes nowhere near as close to Transformers in regards to suckage, but the dialogue is definitely something I did not expect to be as bad as it was.

Fangasm moments:

Dr. Mindbender and the USS Flagg.

It was....adequate. Based on things I read up till now, I thought it was going to be worse than it was. I don't know if I'd watch it again, but I'd have to say I'm glad I saw it.

Zartan was a crappy master of disguise. Couldn't they hire someone who had some skills or something in it? I'd have taken Murdock, Face or Hannibal over this loser.

So Rex Lewis, in 4 years, creates a global terrorist organization?

I can, officially, point out that from my discussions with Jmacq1 in another thread that I was right about those lame accelerator suits ONLY appearing in the Paris sequence.

The Paris sequence was way too long and a little boring since we saw most of it in the trailers. And the accelerator suits were pretty pointless.

Did anyone see the Sigma 6 symbol in the closing credits?

I like that the attempted to include some actual toy vehicles (Rockslide, Steel Crusher, Mantis (sorta) and Night Raven). I didn't include the "Cobra Gunship" because that dinky thing we got as a toy was NOT what we saw in the movie.

Snake Eyes looked ##$%$#ed with a mouth. Not to mention he just really wasn't as cool as the "original" version. Vow of silence? Whoopty doo. Surviving a helicopter accident that scarred you and damaged your vocal cords? Tragic hero. At least that gave him a reason not to take off his mask. Here he was just creepy.

I was almost right about Cover Girl...she didn't even GET to serve Hawk his coffee before she got offed.

Were the damn Vipers bullet proof or not? During the ambush, the soldiers couldn't hit them for squat (or more they could but the bullets didn't do anything). Then the Joes show up and suddenly even Scarlett's crossbow (at least I think that's what it was, based on her original character since she never loaded it or anything) can pierce their armor.

Destro's head becoming a metal mask from the nanotech? Who was it that was saying "just like the cartoon"? @firedevil@

I don't think Destro's ancestor would have survived having that RED HOT HUNK OF METAL wrapped around his head.

Destro's plan was completely idiotic. He creates these nanobombs for his clients in the UN and then has the Baroness attack the convoy to make it look like the UN forces lost them. Wouldn't it have made more sense to just, I don't know, NOT tell anyone you have them? Why even bother with the lame attempt at subterfuge with the stupid convoy. THEN he's gotta raid the lab in France to ARM the stupid things? WTF? His ultimate goal was to put the fear of god (or whatever euphamism you want) into the world so they would look to him as a "protector". Are we talking about Destro or Cobra Commander? Classic Destro WANTED strife. How else would he sell his arms?

How much money did he spend building that underwater base, not to mention all the tunnels and crap he built into the ice shelf.

The acting was pretty wooden. The only one who didn't seem stiff was Wayans.

I think everyone was like "who the hell is Dr. Lewis? Why not Dr. Mindbender". Well know we know why. At least Mindbender got a cameo.

At least Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow fighting didn't dominate the movie like in all the previous movies they put out.

A LOT of guys died. That was actually a little surprising.

For me it just didn't have the "feel" of G.I. Joe. You could have named the characters anything and had the exact same movie. There wasn't any characterization enough to say these characters were who they were supposed to be. Hell, I would have accepted the Roadblock ripoff version of Heavy Duty.

You'd think the team would have had some kind of UN sanction or diplomatic immunity or something (or that they people in charge would have "oked" their operation in France).

DEFINATELY won't be seeing any Dreadnoks any time soon, eh?

Apparently the no fly zone around Washington doesn't exist in this universe?

Why would Destro even need the nano bombs if just one of his gunships is that powerful? It was completely bulletproof and those energy cannons were pretty nasty.

The Duke and Baroness plot part was lame. She was SO in love with him that she was able to override the nanos?

Breaker was skilled at "stealing memories" from corpses? WTF? Did you know that around the time of the Ripper murders, the police believe that, if you took pictures of the victim's eyes, you could see the last thing they saw when they died? The hoped to get a glimpse of the killer that way. They could have at LEAST included Psyche-Out or something for that.

I don't think the Baroness and Storm Shadow were wearing seat belts for that accident. For as much damage and as many flips as that Steel Crusher made, they sure got through it easy.

Why was the Pit in Egypt? Apparently the bad guys knowing the location of your secret base is of no concern since they "captured" them.

Why did we need the backstory with Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow? The least they coulda done was use it to explain how/why Storm Shadow appears in the sequel.

Thanks for explaining 99% of the movie, it reaffirms my decision not to see this crapola. I noticed no one mentioned the scarlett and ripcord situation. It must have been a irrelevant point in the movie.

Joe always had some kind male-female thing going, so why not them? I didn't think it was that big a deal other than the fact those two characters, along with Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, were the ONLY characters to have any real backstory or characterization.

But that reminds me, if Snake Eyes took a vow of silence after the death of old guy at the school, how did he get into the military?

And, all the argument about "black Ripcord", the fact the character was black didn't bother me as much as he more, IMO, resembled Ace then Ripcord. Hell, he's called that like twice.

And, all the argument about "black Ripcord", the fact the character was black didn't bother me as much as he more, IMO, resembled Ace then Ripcord. Hell, he's called that like twice.

You make a good point about Ace.

Thanks for explaining 99% of the movie, it reaffirms my decision not to see this crapola. I noticed no one mentioned the scarlett and ripcord situation. It must have been a irrelevant point in the movie.

Joe always had some kind male-female thing going, so why not them? I didn't think it was that big a deal other than the fact those two characters, along with Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, were the ONLY characters to have any real backstory or characterization.

But that reminds me, if Snake Eyes took a vow of silence after the death of old guy at the school, how did he get into the military?

Because it's totally out of place. This is a sigma 6 movie anyhow so that also played a part in my choice not to see it. I'm friggin done with Sigma 6 flush it already.

It was....adequate. Based on things I read up till now, I thought it was going to be worse than it was. I don't know if I'd watch it again, but I'd have to say I'm glad I saw it.

Zartan was a crappy master of disguise. Couldn't they hire someone who had some skills or something in it? I'd have taken Murdock, Face or Hannibal over this loser.

So Rex Lewis, in 4 years, creates a global terrorist organization?

I can, officially, point out that from my discussions with Jmacq1 in another thread that I was right about those lame accelerator suits ONLY appearing in the Paris sequence.

The Paris sequence was way too long and a little boring since we saw most of it in the trailers. And the accelerator suits were pretty pointless.

Did anyone see the Sigma 6 symbol in the closing credits?

I like that the attempted to include some actual toy vehicles (Rockslide, Steel Crusher, Mantis (sorta) and Night Raven). I didn't include the "Cobra Gunship" because that dinky thing we got as a toy was NOT what we saw in the movie.

Snake Eyes looked ##$%$#ed with a mouth. Not to mention he just really wasn't as cool as the "original" version. Vow of silence? Whoopty doo. Surviving a helicopter accident that scarred you and damaged your vocal cords? Tragic hero. At least that gave him a reason not to take off his mask. Here he was just creepy.

I was almost right about Cover Girl...she didn't even GET to serve Hawk his coffee before she got offed.

Were the damn Vipers bullet proof or not? During the ambush, the soldiers couldn't hit them for squat (or more they could but the bullets didn't do anything). Then the Joes show up and suddenly even Scarlett's crossbow (at least I think that's what it was, based on her original character since she never loaded it or anything) can pierce their armor.

Destro's head becoming a metal mask from the nanotech? Who was it that was saying "just like the cartoon"?

I don't think Destro's ancestor would have survived having that RED HOT HUNK OF METAL wrapped around his head.

Destro's plan was completely idiotic. He creates these nanobombs for his clients in the UN and then has the Baroness attack the convoy to make it look like the UN forces lost them. Wouldn't it have made more sense to just, I don't know, NOT tell anyone you have them? Why even bother with the lame attempt at subterfuge with the stupid convoy. THEN he's gotta raid the lab in France to ARM the stupid things? WTF? His ultimate goal was to put the fear of god (or whatever euphamism you want) into the world so they would look to him as a "protector".

How much money did he spend building that underwater base, not to mention all the tunnels and crap he built into the ice shelf.

The acting was pretty wooden. The only one who didn't seem stiff was Wayans.

I think everyone was like "who the hell is Dr. Lewis? Why not Dr. Mindbender". Well know we know why. At least Mindbender got a cameo.

At least Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow fighting didn't dominate the movie like in all the previous movies they put out.

For me it just didn't have the "feel" of G.I. Joe. You could have named the characters anything and had the exact same movie. There wasn't any characterization enough to say these characters were who they were supposed to be. Hell, I would have accepted the Roadblock ripoff version of Heavy Duty.

You'd think the team would have had some kind of UN sanction or diplomatic immunity or something (or that they people in charge would have "oked" their operation in France).

DEFINATELY won't be seeing any Dreadnoks any time soon, eh?

Why would Destro even need the nano bombs if just one of his gunships is that powerful? It was completely bulletproof and those energy cannons were pretty nasty.

The Duke and Baroness plot part was lame. She was SO in love with him that she was able to override the nanos?

Breaker was skilled at "stealing memories" from corpses? WTF? Did you know that around the time of the Ripper murders, the police believe that, if you took pictures of the victim's eyes, you could see the last thing they saw when they died? The hoped to get a glimpse of the killer that way. They could have at LEAST included Psyche-Out or something for that.

I don't think the Baroness and Storm Shadow were wearing seat belts for that accident. For as much damage and as many flips as that Steel Crusher made, they sure got through it easy.

Why was the Pit in Egypt? Apparently the bad guys knowing the location of your secret base is of no concern since they "captured" them.

Why did we need the backstory with Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow? The least they coulda done was use it to explain how/why Storm Shadow appears in the sequel.

Sorry dude but you just gave all the reasons of why this movie was just like the cartoon!

it was super un-realistic and full of fantasy Military action! hell I thought the most amazing scene was the Paris Pursuit and the accelerator suits! so much fun!

It may rape your childhood having the backgrounds change with rex/duke/baroness but the Fun is still all there!

Plus a ton of guys get wacked! and pretty gruesomely! i was happy about it not being laser beams and simple punches.

I don't think Destro's ancestor would have survived having that RED HOT HUNK OF METAL wrapped around his face

well

1.He could shape shift

2.Joe has fought vipers before and have better tech

3.He could cause hes destro

4.Gi joe has permission and ripcord got arrested cause he was in a UFO

I have a feeling some people need to live with this thing a little longer.

I saw this same phenomenon happen with each of those awful Star Wars prequels. On Day 1, everyone loved them. After a few weeks and maybe another viewing or two, the movie's stock starts to slip. A couple of months later after the reviews have made the rounds, people start to feel comfortable voicing their dislike of the film.

I enjoyed it.My wife who knows almost zero about GIJoe enjoyed it.I didn't see one person at my theater screaming about how their childhood had been raped or destroyed.IMOA the movie stood on it's own 2 legs.

The highlight for me was when JGL became the Commander.It was a bit over the top but less so then 99% of the time the Commander was on the cartoon.As far as I'm concerned the movie is a big fat win.

I also couldn't help notice how he fell to his death and landed in that ice water. This makes me wonder if they aren't taking a page from the Marvel Comic series and how they will bring him back for the next movie.

Ofcourse he survived.....he has to go rescue CC & Destro

Saw it.

Two thoughts:

As a movie, this is abominable. It is not great cinema at all.

As a GIJOE movie, it rocks the casbah. Its pretty much exactly what I was expecting.

Loud, brash, cheezy, hot chicks, cool action, dopey dialogue, impossible situations, explosions, gunfire, cool tech. Its everything that GIJOE has ever been, and then some.

This is not a movie to analyze, because there's not a lot of depth to it at all. Its a movie to sit down with a tub of popcorn in your lap, a big cold drink and to just regress to being 8 yrs old again.

This is what it was made for, and this is what it is.

i thoguht the movie was done real well. I liked it and was excited while watching it, which no other movie this year has made me feel while watchign them.

the only things that kinda bugged me were:

-destro mask at the end

-baroness/duke/cc background.

-cgi could have been better