Mattel in review

Superpowers1980

Walmart

Walmart is my concern as well...still waitin for Mattel and Walmart to stop blaming each other about Wave 5 distribution and waiting to hear if those figure will ever be available again. That pushes into Wave 10 concerns...im not looking forward to paying $50+ for a Joker figure on ebay

I agree, exclusives are never a pleasant thing

To respond to RASH's lecture on economics.

You are correct the P=R-C.

However, When Costs are passed onto the consumer there is a price point at which the Consumer stops buying and Revenue goes down. (Gas is a good example, people either stopped buying gas at 4.00 or stopped buying other items to make up the loss. When Revenue went down, the price came down to keep revenue from falling)

$15.00 a figure is price gouging. We already have an example from the Marvel Legends FooM wave. The company charged too much pass the price point, people refused to buy and either the price went down or the line failed. In this case both occured.

Mattel should take a look at the Marvel Legends line and adjust accordingly or they will loose a fanbase that will not be so trusting to return for other products.

Mattel has made it clear that they are not interested in the longevity of their DC lines and are willing to risk permenantly alienating a strong consumer base for higher profits now.

Rash, Lecture on Economics elsewhere, You haven't a clue what you're talking about.

regards

Joshua

However, When Costs are passed onto the consumer there is a price point at which the Consumer stops buying and Revenue goes down. (Gas is a good example, people either stopped buying gas at 4.00 or stopped buying other items to make up the loss. When Revenue went down, the price came down to keep revenue from falling)

$15.00 a figure is price gouging. We already have an example from the Marvel Legends FooM wave. The company charged too much pass the price point, people refused to buy and either the price went down or the line failed. In this case both occured.

Mattel should take a look at the Marvel Legends line and adjust accordingly or they will loose a fanbase that will not be so trusting to return for other products.

Mattel has made it clear that they are not interested in the longevity of their DC lines and are willing to risk permenantly alienating a strong consumer base for higher profits now.

Rash, Lecture on Economics elsewhere, You haven't a clue what you're talking about.

regards

Joshua

Good job

I agree. I mean I don't know anyone that bought the Fin Fang Foom wave when it was 15 bucks!! No matter how nice the BAF was, 15 bucks for a figure was just not goin to happen, especially not for me!! I only bought some when the line was on clearance!! While it means I don't have Fin completed, at least I spent a whole lot less than had I purchased when they first came out!!

When does Jay C send in his questions for the Q&A sessions with Mattel. I wish he would ask just one question, what is justifying the need for the price increase??? That's all I want to know from Mattel at this point. Why do they need to raise the SRP on these guys???

I agree. I mean I don't know anyone that bought the Fin Fang Foom wave when it was 15 bucks!! No matter how nice the BAF was, 15 bucks for a figure was just not goin to happen, especially not for me!! I only bought some when the line was on clearance!! While it means I don't have Fin completed, at least I spent a whole lot less than had I purchased when they first came out!!

When does Jay C send in his questions for the Q&A sessions with Mattel. I wish he would ask just one question, what is justifying the need for the price increase??? That's all I want to know from Mattel at this point. Why do they need to raise the SRP on these guys???

There are enough 6 inch or more figs on the shelf that aren't targeting 15.00 bucks a piece, some are even below 10 bucks. It was a management system designed to get more cash from the line. Probably some goofball exec who wants to show how wonderful he is by increasing the price to bring more revenue and when the line fails he won't get so much as a slap on the wrist. They are probably thinking if they can get 20 for MOTUC then they sure can get the same for DCUC.....it won't work the whole thing is going to fall apart

Overall Mattel is providing a great product. This is a fabulously sculpted line that isn't afraid to tackle some off-beat characters. Unfortunately, the line is SEVERELY impaired by TWO MAJOR, MAJOR issues...

1. The Price Increase: At twelve bucks, we're hovering around my limit for these figures. I looked at the Wonder Twins for forty bucks and there was no way I could live with that. At fifteen to sixteen bucks a figure, I'm going to be out. I'll be curious to see how Target and Walmart fairs with a fifteen dollar DeSaad figure.

2. Walmart Exclusives: Whatever Mattel wants to say, there's no denying that not enough Walmarts are supporting this line to justify the exclusive waves. If these waves are an absolute must, Mattel could at least soften the blow to fans by padding these waves with characters that aren't absolutely indispensable to the DC collector. I can accept Amazo, Black Lightning and even the Eradicator. The Atom is too key of a JLA-er to make him so unavailable. Joker and Luthor are DC's most popular villains for God's sake! This is the absolute biggest problem facing this line. The prospect of having my collection so full of so many notable absences really makes me want to quit.

Just got finished reading the entire Mattel Q/A on Action Figure Insider and all I can say is that Mattel is one suck ass bottom feeding company. Begging for fans to support the JLU line or it may go away. They are the reason its in such a mess now, the mass produced the SAME figs we have and now the pegs are full of sets no one wants. Then the price increase at waves 11 and 12.

DC and Mattel are both sucking right now. It seems retailers don't mind keeping SW, PR and Hasblow crap on the shelves forever while really digging into DC and then you have whimp butt MAttel who only makes matters worse

all of my concerns about Mattel toys are because of MATTEL!

I have never seen such a shoot-yourself-in-the-foot company.

what is bothering me the most right now is their case ratios and distribution.

the wave #a and #b crap sucks! Every case should include a full set of figures, as well as some extras. It was the dumbest thing ever for them to split wave 7 into two different cases, and collectors had to wait a couple months to finish the wave off. It seems that they have corrected this for wave 9 at least.

And the distribution... Wave 8 took forever to drop at retail, and in between wave 7 and 8, they had the nerve to release a crappy "best of" case! BTW, the "best of" case should at least include some of the RARER figures or older ones that are hard to come by. How is it that Mattel has done at least two "best of" cases, and none of them included Classic Aquaman? its a crime!

regards

Joshua

I didnt know the Foom wave didn't sell well. I thought it sold ok minus the fact the She-Hulk was harder to find.

What was the "Fwoosh situation?" I missed that.

LOL

I wasn't being funny. I don't know what happened with Fwoosh, and I'd like an answer, please.

I think it was something like Mattel later on found a box of Gleek misplaced somewhere after SDCC and then decided to give away this box to Fwoosh to have some contest and give them out to Fwoosh members.

There are enough 6 inch or more figs on the shelf that aren't targeting 15.00 bucks a piece, some are even below 10 bucks. It was a management system designed to get more cash from the line. Probably some goofball exec who wants to show how wonderful he is by increasing the price to bring more revenue and when the line fails he won't get so much as a slap on the wrist. They are probably thinking if they can get 20 for MOTUC then they sure can get the same for DCUC.....it won't work the whole thing is going to fall apart.

You know I think it does have something to do with MOTUC. Another line which reuses the same body molds constantly and really all that has to be done are new head sculpts, and armor sculpts, the rest is done!! And they chare 20 bucks a pop for these guys. Not even a small discount for those that subscribe since that's pretty much guaranteed income!!

They see the results from that line and think it can crossover to brick and mortar lines!! Sadly it won't!! I myself will only continue this line until TRU raises their prices, then I'm out for good!!! Their SRP can go to hell!!!

BTW, the "best of" case should at least include some of the RARER figures or older ones that are hard to come by. How is it that Mattel has done at least two "best of" cases, and none of them included Classic Aquaman?

I've noticed this as well. For some reason, Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman keep finding their way into these assortments. Mattel KNOWS that many fans never got the Classic Aquaman. Why would they hold him back?