Will DCUC price increase stop you from buying new figures?

Shanks

Well, everyone reaches a point where they just decide that it's not worth it to spend that much money on their hobby. A personal example is when comics hit $2.99 for the same number of pages and drawn out storylines that fit conveniently in a trade, I stopped buying comics altogether. Now I just pick up the trades of the storylines that I am really interested in, and I always look at Used Bookstores first, so I might get them at half-price. I can't imagine paying $3.99 an issue with the pull list that I used to have. So everyone reaches that point about something, but I still enjoy DCUC, so as long as they are less than DC Direct I am still in. Now if they start releasing waves that are on par with the Toybiz ML MOJO and MODOK or the first Hasbro ML wave, then it will be more about the loss of interests due to poor character selection and not price.

Well I'm on the way of stopping collecting them. 1 Is cause of the Price and 2. I'm just about out of room to put these guys at with the order of the Wonder Twins yesturday I'm now done to 6 more characters to get. Like some on here I just get the characters I like and know. Now if I do run out of room an say Mattle makes Samuri,Black Volcan and Apach Chife then I will get them some how. But yes I'm basely done with this line.

I'm used to getting everything, all variants and two packs and exclusives, but with the price hike, I'll be getting only A listers or key figures from my youth, definitely not the entire set. Unless they come out with a BAF of Darkseid or Doomsday, then Damn...you got me again Mattel. Or I'll look to get the missing pieces on ebay or shows.

Forgot about the Parademon and Steppenwolf!! I'll be getting them too. Looking to update the Super Powers from days gone by!! I would have so gotten every figure and every wave, but not at 15 bucks a pop. Not even at 13!! It's just ridiculous the money spent for one little action figure!!!!

Forgot about the Parademon and Steppenwolf!! I'll be getting them too. Looking to update the Super Powers from days gone by!! I would have so gotten every figure and every wave, but not at 15 bucks a pop. Not even at 13!! It's just ridiculous the money spent for one little action figure!!!!

Which Mantis figure will you be tracking down, the standard fig or the variant? You do know that the variant looks like the Super Powers Version, right?

I'm in total agreement with Dragon66. Everyone has a point and mine just isn't there yet. Increases were innevitable, but I doubt they will top out over $13.00 for quite some time. BBTS sucks and they're just gouging to make sure they're covered. Contrary to what ML is doing, DCUC is still utizing the C&C and they are not scaling down the molds, so the increase is still justifiable in my mind.

A figure comes out to $14.01 at Wal-Mart. :/ QC is absolute garbage. Figs are often n/m coming out of the case. Paint is still sloppy in Wave 8

(seems like a slight downgrade from 7). And, like everyone else, I believe the Gleek fiasco is unforgivable.

I think Mattel just sits in front of eBay all day, and laughs uncontrollably at the secondary market prices. Mattel knows that they don't get anything out of it, but they just believe that it's ever so funny.

the only people that wont buy these at a raised price are the people who are giving up the hobby. if you like buying toys, then youre still gonna dabble in whatever you like. watch, you'll see! go down the toy dept and lay your eyes on a complete set of DCUC 9, and i bet you get at least 1.

the only people that wont buy these at a raised price are the people who are giving up the hobby. if you like buying toys, then youre still gonna dabble in whatever you like. watch, you'll see! go down the toy dept and lay your eyes on a complete set of DCUC 9, and i bet you get at least 1.

As opposed to the 2 of each I'd normally get....

Damn it, Mattel.....

Forgot about the Parademon and Steppenwolf!! I'll be getting them too. Looking to update the Super Powers from days gone by!! !!

Which Mantis figure will you be tracking down, the standard fig or the variant? You do know that the variant looks like the Super Powers Version, right?

Well since both the Parademon and Steppenwolf are both packedat 50/50, it shouldn't be too hard. But yes, the Super Powers variant is what I'll get!!!

Like I said in another thread, looking at the Nemesis wave right next to DCUC and seeing the huge price difference made me realize that yes, Mattel is gouging us!! There's no friggin need for them to be that high!! None whatsoever!!!

And Pooda I think that people will switch to something else!! I'm thinking of going back to Marvel Legends!!! Much better value, even though those used to be 7 to 8 bucks a pop as well!! Nothing compared to 13 to 14 bucks!! Highway robbery!!!

Well, I will not be ordering Wave 11 from BBTS. That is for sure. The DCUC and MOTUC are the only two lines out there where I mostly want every figure. Like others have said, as long as they are cheaper than DC Direct I will be fine. I can always stop collecting Star Wars figures or pass on the next Trek wave. Being a fan of almost everything Sci-Fi and Comicbook related is a pain in the ***.

A figure comes out to $14.01 at Wal-Mart. :/ QC is absolute garbage. Figs are often n/m coming out of the case. Paint is still sloppy in Wave 8

(seems like a slight downgrade from 7). And, like everyone else, I believe the Gleek fiasco is unforgivable.

I think Mattel just sits in front of eBay all day, and laughs uncontrollably at the secondary market prices. Mattel knows that they don't get anything out of it, but they just believe that it's ever so funny.

I don't think they get some sick enjoyment out of watching ebay prices. They just finally learned from their mistakes by limiting production, thus making the product harder to find.

Back when they tried to bring back MOTU the first time in early 2000's, their old school business model damn near ended the company. They flooded every wave with at least 1 new variation of He-Man and Skeletor (sometimes 2) and packed em at a ratio of 4/1 to the figs everyone really wanted. If anyone else recalls, there had to be at least 50 He-Man / Skeletors on the shelve and not a Whiplash or Zodac to be found. It ultimately led to the cancellation of the line.

From a company who's had so much success with Barbie by simply making small changes to the same product it seemed like a sound game plan. I could see it starting all over again with the first few waves of DCUC when they insisted that each wave had to have either a Superman or Batman in it. Either they got some new blood in the production and developement dept or they learned by watching ML when Toybiz had it, but they've learned and it's only going to increase the longevity of DCUC. The next few lines don't have any Supes or Bats in sight and I'm totally down with it.

Mattel finally listening to the fans (something Hasbro doesn't do so well anymore) and as long as they keep giving us what we want I can deal with the occasional price increase. As long as it's relative to the economic times.

As opposed to the 2 of each I'd normally get....

Damn it, Mattel.....

Yes, that about sums it up. Before I was a completist but now it'll only be the ones I must have. I doubt I'll EVER complete a C&C again. To be honest, it's been coming to this for a while now. The figures are nice but all the problems with the line are making me question whether it's worth it.

Perhaps I should quit being a completist? Actually there is no way that I could pass up Imperiex, Giganta and Kilowog.

All of the figures I am buying from DCUC have been in the cartoons I watched as a kid or in the comic books that I read as an adult. This truly is my dream toyline.

This year I am planning on buying all of the DCUC waves. I subscribed to the MOTUC line. I am saving for an engagement ring and I am saving to go to Comic Con next year.

Something has to give, right?

So, I cut back my drinking. LOL I hate to say it but it is true. LOL

Price increase or not, its all about character selection for me. Haven't seen or heard anything interesting that grabs me from Waves 10 to 12 yet, so its on to Wave 13 next summer! So its a possible one year drought of buying anything new from DCUC, barring the 2-packs on Mattycollector.com for me.

Yup, only the figures I really like from here on out. I had already been doing that but I had also been getting the A-list characters as well, even if I didn't really like how they turned out....that ends now.

Depends on the Click-n-Connect.

If it's lame (like Giganta), then I might only buy the figures I really like.

Problem is, I like most of them...So if it's 1-2 characters that are low-interest, I'd probably buy them just to complete the lame Click-n-Connect...

If you're confused by my response, just think how I feel...

If the prices continue to escalate; I will have to cut back eventually. I can handle a price range of about $10 - $15 (barely) for DCUC since I've cut back a lot on my other collecting, but if it goes much beyond $15, then it could get rough ...lol.

What really confuses me is why Wal-Mart is charging $12.97 per figures (all figures including the old ones), yet Target is charging $11.97 and TRU is charging $11.99?

I recently purchased most of wave 8 at a local TRU for $11.99 each, yet the local Walmarts (the ones that carry DCUC) were charging $12.97 for wave 4,6 and 7 figures? Does anybody know what the justification is for this?