Guess who has an 86% on Rotten Tomatoes?

JohnnyRebelV2

How many Joe fans have seen it yet? I only know of one.

I just cant see this movie making any where near Transfomer money even if it does better critically. I dont want to bash the movie until after ive seen it. But the fact that i havnt seen any Cobra Troopers, no crimson guard, and no Vipers has me disallusioned big time. Still im gonna be open minded and hope theres enough tribute to us old school Joe fans.

Oh I did have a friend who liked "no country for old men" He tried to tell me that he liked it because it was like an old cat and mouse kind of detective old style Humphrey Bogart movie, I've seen The Maltese Falcon and Bogart was not boring or slow :D

You know...the movie had POTENTIAL, but it's like once the plot was established, and the hook was set, it just took a drastic nose-dive in the middle and by the end was like I changed movies or something? I was intrigued in the beginning and left hangin' and scratchin' my head by the end. I certainly couldn't find anything Oscar award winning worthy in any of THAT, just like I brought up my indifference to the Oscar award winning worthiness Hollywood asserts is deserved by anything dealing with homosexuality or something insulting towards Christianity. I didn't make Hollywood political...I just pointed it out, to the ire of some snarling and gnashing teeth types here. ^_^

I think folks need to just give up on the Oscars altogether. All they are is Hollywood patting itself on the back, and yet they've somehow convinced most of the general public that they're somehow the supreme arbiters of taste and quality.

Heck, pretty much every major "award" is given by industry insiders across all the "creative arts."

However, it's a no win situation, really. Because the reverse of this would be the People's Choice Awards, but as folks like to point out so often: "Popularity doesn't equal quality!"

You like what you like, you don't like what you don't like, and that's that.

On the issue of people playing homosexuals winning awards, though, it's really rather simple: A heterosexual playing a homosexual convincingly is doing a good job of acting against his natural type. He (or she) is being successful at portraying someone that they are not. It's more of a challenge than most roles. Does the "Academy" (of Hollywood Insiders) tend to recognize such performances over others? Sometimes, but not always. It's no longer the automatic "I win" button at the Oscars, despite Penn's recent win. Heck, it's become so prevalent that comedy films make jokes about actors playing homosexuals and the handicapped to pander to the awards-voting crowd. (See "Tropic Thunder" or "Team America")

On the issue of people playing homosexuals winning awards, though, it's really rather simple: A heterosexual playing a homosexual convincingly is doing a good job of acting against his natural type. He (or she) is being successful at portraying someone that they are not. It's more of a challenge than most roles.

We just have to ask ourselves HOW DO homosexuals ACT? @hmmm@

What's the "challenge" in acting like one, that Hollywood asserts is such a remarkable accomplishment in performance? For the non-flamboyant types (look at Will from Will & Grace as opposed to Jack from same show) and there's really no major difference in how a simple natured human MAN behaves, talks or whatever. Nobody would know, just by LOOKING at a person like Will or listening to him speak, that he was GAY, unless he divulged that sexual difference in conversation. I'm giving credit to homosexuals for NOT being some kind of 4-eyed monster that really takes quite an EFFORT to portray on film if you're not gay, and instead just being pretty regular. Tom Hanks, Heath Ledger or Sean Penn's roles as gay men were not much of a stretch in behavior changes for them aside from merely stating they're GAY in the movies they portrayed homosexuals in. I don't see the amazing difficulty in it? :(

Does the "Academy" (of Hollywood Insiders) tend to recognize such performances over others? Sometimes, but not always. It's no longer the automatic "I win" button at the Oscars, despite Penn's recent win. Heck, it's become so prevalent that comedy films make jokes about actors playing homosexuals and the handicapped to pander to the awards-voting crowd. (See "Tropic Thunder")

At least you see that I'm not stirring up nonsense for the sake of stirring up....nonsense, and that the trend of which I speak, regarding Hollywood's favoritism towards awarding homosexual themes, is not something I've MADE UP, but is in fact something of a jOKE now, as presented in "Tropic Thunder". ^_^

After reading this thread I now know the key to making GI Joe popularity balloon to Star Wars-level:

Channing Tatum must portray Duke as a gay-man-in-the-military, proving to himself and his teammates that, even though he is gay, he has what it takes to lead a daring, highly-trained, special mission force against a ruthless terrorist organization. The Oscar nods will come flying like XP-14F Skystrikers. Critics will swoon....SWOON over his performance. And Duke.....no....GI JOE! will become house hold names on par with Superman, Barack Obama, and Jesus prompting Hasbro to make all the figures everyone ever wanted in 25th style and fans and non-fans alike will buy them all!

All because Duke was gay.

What's the "challenge" in acting like one, that Hollywood asserts is such a remarkable accomplishment in performance? For the non-flamboyant types (look at Will from Will & Grace as opposed to Jack from same show) and there's really no major difference in how a simple natured human MAN behaves, talks or whatever. Nobody would know, just by LOOKING at a person like Will or listening to him speak, that he was GAY, unless he divulged that sexual difference in conversation. I'm giving credit to homosexuals for NOT being some kind of 4-eyed monster that really takes quite an EFFORT to portray on film if you're not gay, and instead just being pretty regular. Tom Hanks, Heath Ledger or Sean Penn's roles as gay men were not much of a stretch in behavior changes for them aside from merely stating they're GAY in the movies they portrayed homosexuals in. I don't see the amazing difficulty in it? :(

Most of those roles involve "love scenes" with other men (with varying levels of explicitness). I don't know about you, but that'd be pretty difficult for me. Much less doing so without looking as disgusted and/or embarrassed as I'd likely feel about it. Their everyday, in public behavior (on screen) might not be that different from normal folks, but there are always one or more scenes that require them to display their homosexuality to one extent or another. It doesn't have to be a graphic "sex scene" but again, for me even trying to deliver convincing "emotionally intimate" dialogue to another dude would be a serious hurdle...if I were a professional actor, which I'm not, but the point is that it's not really in my nature, or presumably the nature of other hetero dudes. It's a challenge that you don't have to overcome if you're playing a hetero character.

Or to put it more succinctly, most critically acclaimed/awarded homosexual roles require a good bit more than just having the character say "I'm gay!" Or there's a difference between playing a homosexual and playing a "token homosexual" (though the latter usually fall into the "flaming and out there for the world to see" camp as characters).

After reading this thread I now know the key to making GI Joe popularity balloon to Star Wars-level:

Channing Tatum must portray Duke as a gay-man-in-the-military, proving to himself and his teammates that, even though he is gay, he has what it takes to lead a daring, highly-trained, special mission force against a ruthless terrorist organization. The Oscar nods will come flying like XP-14F Skystrikers. Critics will swoon....SWOON over his performance. And Duke.....no....GI JOE! will become house hold names on par with Superman, Barack Obama, and Jesus prompting Hasbro to make all the figures everyone ever wanted in 25th style and fans and non-fans alike will buy them all!

All because Duke was gay.

..and the only thing that they'd have to DO, to make this the case, without a single solitary CHANGE to Tatums performance of DUKE as it is now, is just make one little blurb in the movie about Duke's sexual orientation, and the rest remains the same, yet the accolades would be tenfold for one mere utterance of his sexuality. Am I right or am I right? :)

Most of those roles involve "love scenes" with other men (with varying levels of explicitness). I don't know about you, but that'd be pretty difficult for me. Much less doing so without looking as disgusted and/or embarrassed as I'd likely feel about it. Their everyday, in public behavior (on screen) might not be that different from normal folks, but there are always one or more scenes that require them to display their homosexuality to one extent or another. It doesn't have to be a graphic "sex scene" but again, for me even trying to deliver convincing "emotionally intimate" dialogue to another dude would be a serious hurdle...if I were a professional actor, which I'm not, but the point is that it's not really in my nature, or presumably the nature of other hetero dudes. It's a challenge that you don't have to overcome if you're playing a hetero character.

Or to put it more succinctly, most critically acclaimed/awarded homosexual roles require a good bit more than just having the character say "I'm gay!" Or there's a difference between playing a homosexual and playing a "token homosexual" (though the latter usually fall into the "flaming and out there for the world to see" camp as characters).

I don't see too many Oscars being handed out to actresses that bare their breasts and have to perform in the throes of orgasmic delight with another actor not their husbands. You make a good point, but I'm trying to recall some of the Oscar awarded homosexual perfromances by straight actors and if the content of the film really had all that much nudity and love making scenes between the homosexual characters, and I'm afraid to say I've not seen any of these films to know for sure? Any help here anyone? Was their some fairly explicit lovemaking for the actors to endure or was it msotly verbal communication of their sexuality? saying the words "I'm Gay" wouldn't seem to be much of a difficult thing? For the kind of wages these people pull in for a movie, wouldn't make kissing another man all that difficult either...I'd do it for a quarter of a million dollars! @haha@

I don't see too many Oscars being handed out to actresses that bare their breasts and have to perform in the throes of orgasmic delight with another actor not their husbands.

*coughcoughHalleBerrycoughcough*

Honorable mention to Kate Winslet.

You make a good point, but I'm trying to recall some of the Oscar awarded homosexual perfromances by straight actors and if the content of the film really had all that much nudity and love making scenes between the homosexual characters, and I'm afraid to say I've not seen any of these films to know for sure? Any help here anyone? Was their some fairly explicit lovemaking for the actors to endure or was it msotly verbal communication of their sexuality? saying the words "I'm Gay" wouldn't seem to be much of a difficult thing? For the kind of wages these people pull in for a movie, wouldn't make kissing another man all that difficult either...I'd do it for a quarter of a million dollars! @haha@

I'm afraid I haven't seen any of the films in question, either. Though I've certainly heard that "Brokeback Mountain" had a fairly explicit scene in there.

And again, it's more than just kissing a man that's involved...it's kissing a man and making it look as though you're into it and liking it. ;)

I don't see too many Oscars being handed out to actresses that bare their breasts and have to perform in the throes of orgasmic delight with another actor not their husbands.

*coughcoughHalleBerrycoughcough*

Honorable mention to Kate Winslet.

:wub: two yummies!

I did say not "TOO MANY" though. ;)

If ANYBODY deserved an award for what they had to do on FILM, and be remember ever MORE for, it's poor ol' {squeeeeeeal} Ned Beatty in Deliverance. @haha@

deliverance.gif

This is nothing new from VH. He has ranted about homosexuals many times in the past.

Just the militant angry ones that call people who don't agree with them "dumb b!tches!"

This "rant" was about Hollywood's endorsement of them and how that shows a biased that diminishes their ability to really be relevant to anything in the REAL world, and that ALL did not evolve from the reviews of the G.I.Joe movie, but to a comment about how No Country For Old Men won their praise and a few of us thought the movie SUCKED, as do most of the Oscar winners do. Hell, if i had my way, I'd be voting for nothing but Disney movies, but Hollywood doesn't care much for animation and voice over acting.

Unless it's a gay character being voiced by a straight actor and then it's VUNDERBAR!! MAGNIFICO!!!

@loll@

You're not really much of a "rebel" are you? More like a JohnnyDramaQueenV1-A?

You seem to forget that you are a self described 50 year old "low class" poverty ridden unemployed failure. There is no need to "flame" you. Your description of your life is worse than any words I could use. Few here really respect your opinion. Even if you post every 15 seconds. You are NOT an authoritative voice on GI Joe. You talk about your hard times and think that most readers here are going to do more than laugh? Hearing a 50 year old man complain that can't afford the new movie toys is as sad as it gets. You are proud you voted you for George Bush twice and proud that you don't take kindly to gays around here (or anywhere). But it's time for you to keep it to yourself.

This is nothing new from VH. He has ranted about homosexuals many times in the past.

Just the militant angry ones that call people who don't agree with them "dumb b!tches!"

This "rant" was about Hollywood's endorsement of them and how that shows a biased that diminishes their ability to really be relevant to anything in the REAL world, and that ALL did not evolve from the reviews of the G.I.Joe movie, but to a comment about how No Country For Old Men won their praise and a few of us thought the movie SUCKED, as do most of the Oscar winners do. Hell, if i had my way, I'd be voting for nothing but Disney movies, but Hollywood doesn't care much for animation and voice over acting.

Unless it's a gay character being voiced by a straight actor and then it's VUNDERBAR!! MAGNIFICO!!!

@loll@

You're not really much of a "rebel" are you? More like a JohnnyDramaQueenV1-A?

You seem to forget that you are a self described 50 year old "low class" poverty ridden unemployed failure. There is no need to "flame" you. Your description of your life is worse than any words I could use. Few here really respect your opinion. Even if you post every 15 seconds. You are NOT an authoritative voice on GI Joe. You talk about your hard times and think that most readers here are going to do more than laugh? Hearing a 50 year old man complain that can't afford the new movie toys is as sad as it gets. You are proud you voted you for George Bush twice and proud that you don't take kindly to gays around here (or anywhere). But it's time for you to keep it to yourself.

@hmmm@ wow! Nice way to prove you're not a drama queen there spiffy!

HEY....I'm only 47! Don't age me before my time!! ^_^

Down 6% from 86% to 80%. Is this a trend? Paramount aint previewing the movie to critics to avoid the bad reviews like the Tf movie. Bring extra butter with your popcorn.

I got to see the preview at Andrews AFB (my father is a disabled veteran, as is my grandfather) and I have to say, for what it's worth, it's not bad.

Is it classic G I Joe? No. But I enjoyed it as a summer action flick - cheesy lines filled - awesome explosives - movie more than TF2. Obviously if you're going in looking for perfection, you'll be disappointed. But otherwise, I'm going to take my little cousins and then use them as an excuse to check the toys out at Target (I'm not buying them anything).

Yo Joe!

I got to see the preview at Andrews AFB (my father is a disabled veteran, as is my grandfather) and I have to say, for what it's worth, it's not bad.

Is it classic G I Joe? No. But I enjoyed it as a summer action flick - cheesy lines filled - awesome explosives - movie more than TF2. Obviously if you're going in looking for perfection, you'll be disappointed. But otherwise, I'm going to take my little cousins and then use them as an excuse to check the toys out at Target (I'm not buying them anything).

Yo Joe!

You know, that's not exactly a stirring review, there! ;)

Movie was actually half way decent. Here is my review of it for those who haven't checked it out.

http://enewsi.com/reviews/showproduct.php?...t=735&cat=2

The story was actually good, better than TF2. I think some of the special effects didn't come off so good and some other minor flaws which I can't say without spoiling it but still I came out liking it alot more than I expected to.

The story has the feel and many of the characteristics of the classic 80's GIJoe animated mini-series'. However the characters themselves have been been changed a good deal, so if you can't except that they have changed the background stories for most if not all these characters you aren't going to like it. If you can look at it as an alternate Joe Universe per say then I think overall you will like this movie. And Channing does a decent job as Duke and Ripcord didn't bother me like I thought he would. Zartan is one of the coolest and the scenes with Stormshadow and Snake Eyes are good. though there is one thing which again I wont say cause of spoiler but one thing with Snake Eyes they establish I didnt like to much.

smileyscared003.gifI hope JayC isn't reading all that other stuff?

I'm not, cause frankly i've got better things to do then read through a bunch of imature posts of some people trying to make fun of homosexuals or whatever it is you turned the thread into, but for those who actually care about the movie and interested if its good or not I wanted to post the link.

I'm not, cause frankly i've got better things to do then read through a bunch of imature posts of some people trying to make fun of homosexuals or whatever it is you turned the thread into, but for those who actually care about the movie and interested if its good or not I wanted to post the link.

IF I am reading it right this doesn't look right. Geeze, if you didn't read it how do you know he turned the thread into that? It wasn't really VH ! But if you mean the posters in general, true as a group we have gotten off track.

IF I am reading it right this doesn't look right. Geeze, if you didn't read it how do you know he turned the thread into that? It wasn't really VH ! But if you mean the posters in general, true as a group we have gotten off track.

Cause I looked at the posts on this page and VH remark to me and put 2 and 2 together. I didn't say VH turned it I referenced the group a whole.

^_^ Good point Rev! Show me a thread that doesn't go off track with unrelated discussion between members. It's a living thing that grows, pretty much like anything else...even REAL LIFE conversations progress in odd ways depending on what catches anothers attention and generates another thought or idea from it.

There's only so much that can be said about some subjects "sounds good.. looks good.. I think I'll love it.. I think I'll hate it.. no it won't.. you suck.. no YOU suck.. oh yeah.. your mama!" and then it's on to something else, repeat wash and rinse! @haha@