Guess who has an 86% on Rotten Tomatoes?

JohnnyRebelV2

never as they wont let real critics watch the movie ill see it but do not have high hopes for it to be good. i just hope its a ok action flick.

http://www.enewsi.com/news.php?catid=190&itemid=15619

Well part of that is mainstream film critics are becoming obsolete with these types of movies, they ripped into TF 2 and 1 if i'm not mistaken and look how well those films did, and I think the studios are seeing that. I mean take some film critic who has never seen a GIJoe episode or read a comic or what, if they watched a live-action movie of say "Revenge of Cobra" do you honestly think that mainstream film critic is going to walk out of the theater liking it? I seriously doubt it. We certainly aren't talking Oscar winning material here and a lot of it is somewhat over the top, but lets face it that's part of what these films are.

My earlier diatribe (that was met with the obligatory hostility) was entirely related to this epidemic in Hollywood that has absolutely ZERO relevance to main street America and what our likes, preferences, tastes, ideas and opinions are.

Hollywood is a snobbish ELITE Liberal community, and the critics of today are more interested in being accepted into the same folds as those snobs and pr!cks and will pander to them, rather than be the voice of the rest of us and look at something thru our eyes instead of sucking up to the elite.

Obviously I have a strong view of this issue with HOLLYWOOD (not gays, as was insinuated) and how they're really so far out of TOUCH with the mindset of the people they hope come to see their inventions, and if we don't come willingly, they incorporate the help of these so-called critics. Half the quoted remarks on a DVD are bogus..some horror flick has a comment "SCARIEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR" by "SCREAM.COM" or "GORE MAGAZINE" :blink: huh?

I don't know where this ROTTEN TOMATOES falls in this area (of bogus HOLLYWOOD and their ilk) but the whole point was that I'm pretty much a SHOW me don't TELL me and I'll see for myself kinda person, with regards to movie reviews.

Movies that Hollywood praises and hands awards out to, are very rarely ever the BLOCKBUSTER money making most VIEWED movies of the year.

My earlier diatribe (that was met with the obligatory hostility) was entirely related to this epidemic in Hollywood that has absolutely ZERO relevance to main street America and what our likes, preferences, tastes, ideas and opinions are.

Hollywood is a snobbish ELITE Liberal community, and the critics of today are more interested in being accepted into the same folds as those snobs and pr!cks and will pander to them, rather than be the voice of the rest of us and look at something thru our eyes instead of sucking up to the elite.

Obviously I have a strong view of this issue with HOLLYWOOD (not gays, as was insinuated) and how they're really so far out of TOUCH with the mindset of the people they hope come to see their inventions, and if we don't come willingly, they incorporate the help of these so-called critics. Half the quoted remarks on a DVD are bogus..some horror flick has a comment "SCARIEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR" by "SCREAM.COM" or "GORE MAGAZINE" :blink: huh?

I don't know where this ROTTEN TOMATOES falls in this area (of bogus HOLLYWOOD and their ilk) but the whole point was that I'm pretty much a SHOW me don't TELL me and I'll see for myself kinda person, with regards to movie reviews.

Movies that Hollywood praises and hands awards out to, are very rarely ever the BLOCKBUSTER money making most VIEWED movies of the year.

Yet didn't you say in another thread you arent gonna see this movie till it comes out on DVD?

Yet didn't you say in another thread you arent gonna see this movie till it comes out on DVD?

yes.

Is there a connection here somewhere? No following ya on how what I think of Hollywood and how I don't put much stock in the reviews of certain movies by certain critics (like this one) has to do with me stating I'll probably not catch it at the theaters but wait to see this G.I.Joe movie on DVD? @hmmm@

I didn't state I'll NEVER watch it..it might end up being pretty good, but I'm not so EAGER to see it, that I can't wait until it comes out on DVD. ^_^

Oh I did have a friend who liked "no country for old men" He tried to tell me that he liked it because it was like an old cat and mouse kind of detective old style Humphrey Bogart movie, I've seen The Maltese Falcon and Bogart was not boring or slow :D

You know...the movie had POTENTIAL, but it's like once the plot was established, and the hook was set, it just took a drastic nose-dive in the middle and by the end was like I changed movies or something? I was intrigued in the beginning and left hangin' and scratchin' my head by the end. I certainly couldn't find anything Oscar award winning worthy in any of THAT, just like I brought up my indifference to the Oscar award winning worthiness Hollywood asserts is deserved by anything dealing with homosexuality or something insulting towards Christianity. I didn't make Hollywood political...I just pointed it out, to the ire of some snarling and gnashing teeth types here. ^_^

I saw no country for old men on encore a couple of months ago. Talk about a movie that didn't know where it was going, it was like some soccer mom b!tch on the phone while driving nearly hitting everything.

I actually liked No Country For Old Men. The Ending confused me the first time around but after a second viewing I really liked it. There will be Blood was also pretty good, a bit boring at times but Daniel Day Lewis was just genius in that movie.

Those films deserved much praise IMO.

I've never understood the academy though. Usually they praise these boring social liberal propaganda films or just akward foreign films.

Mickey Rourke should have won the Oscar for best actor. But sadly Sean Penn had to win.

The greatest injustice of all is that Let The Right One in was ignored, but that craptastic Slumdog Millionaire was praised.

*Anyways getting on topic, I was never really a big G.I Joe fan. But this movie looks terrible IMO.

Getting b actor Channing Tatum to be Duke is disrespectful to Joe fans. I think so anyways. The cheezy Matrix outfits are also worth mentioning.

As long as its better than both Transformers films, I guess that will do.

I've never understood the academy though. Usually they praise these boring social liberal propaganda films or just akward foreign films.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences doesn't award films that are popular, they seek out and award films that the membership think further the art of cinema and filmmaking.

This is the thing that many people forget/overlook about the Oscars ( even though its mentioned on EVERY Oscars award broadcast.

For picking out films that the public likes, there's award shows like the People's Choice Awards.

The Oscars are in reality, this closed-awards event that gets marketed as it it matters to everyone, when really it just matters to people within the industry itself.

The greatest injustice of all is that Let The Right One in was ignored, but that craptastic Slumdog Millionaire was praised.

I've watched both of these films and I thought Let The Right On In was an excellent film and about feel asleep on Slumdog.

I actually liked No Country For Old Men. The Ending confused me the first time around but after a second viewing I really liked it. There will be Blood was also pretty good, a bit boring at times but Daniel Day Lewis was just genius in that movie.

Those films deserved much praise IMO.

Mickey Rourke should have won the Oscar for best actor. But sadly Sean Penn had to win.

*Anyways getting on topic, I was never really a big G.I Joe fan. But this movie looks terrible IMO.

Getting b actor Channing Tatum to be Duke is disrespectful to Joe fans. I think so anyways. The cheezy Matrix outfits are also worth mentioning.

As long as its better than both Transformers films, I guess that will do.

Mickey Rourke needs an award for playing Harley Davidson, I liked his bike in the movie. It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool.

This movie isn't being shown to critics.

That's the final nail in this thing's coffin.

Its not being screened to mainstream critics, most the main Entertainment websites like this one or AICN and such have seen the movie and reviewed it and it has actually gotten fairly decent reviews. All this means is that studios are seeing finally that some of these mainstream critics are a bit out of touch with what audiences want so they are bypassing them all together. The fact is if a mainstream critic liked this movie you all would prob hate it.

Its not being screened to mainstream critics, most the main Entertainment websites like this one or AICN and such have seen the movie and reviewed it and it has actually gotten fairly decent reviews.

All this means is that they're cherry-picking avenues that will get them a favorable review. Websites are likelier to be kind to this movie than REAL mainstream critics.

All this means is that studios are seeing finally that some of these mainstream critics are a bit out of touch with what audiences want so they are bypassing them all together.

You've got to think beyond your own preferences here. Just because Roger Ebert may have kicked around some bomb of a nerdfest that Harry Knowles liked (or got paid to like) doesn't mean that Knowles is on the road to some form of enlightenment that eluded Ebert.

[ The fact is if a mainstream critic liked this movie you all would prob hate it.

You're certainly not speaking for me there. I generally find that if you take an average of all the reviews for a given movie, you'll probably be pretty close to the mark.

[ The fact is if a mainstream critic liked this movie you all would prob hate it.

You're certainly not speaking for me there. I generally find that if you take an average of all the reviews for a given movie, you'll probably be pretty close to the mark.

That is why Rotten Tomatoes is such a great site. If you take enough crtics and they all agree then chances are you will to.

The critic's entire job is to look at a movie....ALL movies, under a microscope and critique it. If their whole review consisted of, "It's a summer popcorn movie, just turn off your bain and have fun", they'd be out of a job. TF2 deserverd everything it got from critics, IMO. It's just that I happen to be a bigger fan of Optimus Prime than they, so I may like it a bit more (and Optimus WAS about the only thing that movie had going for it).

At the same time, I'm not reading too much into Hasbro not showing it to critics. So what. I'm hearing that it's really up there, action wise. If they manage to infuze it with just the tiniest bit of character and heart, it'll have TF2 beat. Oh, and don't forget the one MAJOR advantage it already has over TF2....no Micheal Bay.

Its not being screened to mainstream critics, most the main Entertainment websites like this one or AICN and such have seen the movie and reviewed it and it has actually gotten fairly decent reviews.

All this means is that they're cherry-picking avenues that will get them a favorable review. Websites are likelier to be kind to this movie than REAL mainstream critics.

All this means is that studios are seeing finally that some of these mainstream critics are a bit out of touch with what audiences want so they are bypassing them all together.

You've got to think beyond your own preferences here. Just because Roger Ebert may have kicked around some bomb of a nerdfest that Harry Knowles liked (or got paid to like) doesn't mean that Knowles is on the road to some form of enlightenment that eluded Ebert.

To me a critic is only worth there salt if they have demonstrated over a period of time that they call movies in way that meets your views and establishes a pattern of trust with you. If I follow a critic who the majority of times when they said the movie sucked and I agreed or it was good and I agreed I'm more likely going to put weight behind what they say as opposed to someone or even a group of someones who I've never heard of before.

On something like this though I would be more interested in listening to what you all have to say about the movie than say a Roger Ebert which is why I think those types of critics have less and less influence these days on these types of movies. Roger Ebert I doubt is a GIJoe fan so he's not going to see that the story was done in a way that caters to those who grew up watching those 80's animated mini-series. Without that knowledge you might think the story seems corny or childish. With the Internet people have a much greater access to their fellow fans and friends who share the same type of interests so they can get a more accurate idea if a movie is going to be worth seeing or not from their piers.

I'm not a professional movie critic by nature, but I know GIJoe and I know what I like. Now even still I know that just because I liked the movie there will still be fans who don't, but I would say especially if you follow me on this site on a regular basis that my opinion on this movie is going to hold more water with many of you than a Roger Ebert. I think what you are seeing here is the studio is going to those who have a better chance of understanding what this type of movie is about so they can more fairly judge it on those merits not because they think they can manipulate us more or bribe us into giving it a positive review.

Believe me if I came out of the movie theater Monday night thinking it sucked, I would say so and if you go back and read my review of TF2 you will see I did say that it was not as good of as the first. G.I.Joe isn't perfect and there are things that could have been done better, but overall when I walked out of that movie , I walked out thinking this was a decent one that I enjoyed watching, enough so that I'm willing to go back and watch it again with my wife, and to me that is basically what matters when it comes to deciding if you want to go see something or not.

... the scenes with Stormshadow and Snake Eyes are good. though there is one thing which again I wont say cause of spoiler but one thing with Snake Eyes they establish I didnt like to much.

Could you PM me with those changes.

At the same time, I'm not reading too much into Hasbro not showing it to critics. So what. I'm hearing that it's really up there, action wise. If they manage to infuze it with just the tiniest bit of character and heart, it'll have TF2 beat. Oh, and don't forget the one MAJOR advantage it already has over TF2....no Micheal Bay.

"Character and heart" is exactly what Hollywood seems to lack these days. They're so caught up in making all these "anti-hero" movies, that they leave out anything that might make us even begin to CARE what the hell happens to them and whether they live or die.

I'm tired of rooting for these obnoxious punk azzholes that are SUPPOSE to be the reluctant good guy or something, as ridiculous as the so-called villain (who gets more sympathy treatment towards his life's direction) and by movies end, I could care less about ANY of them. G.I.Joe the REAL American HERO is so much the antithesis of this new attitude in Hollywood, I can't begin to image how (or if) they'll be able to pull it off with this movie. if Duke is the brooding pouty-type...I'm out!

if Duke is the brooding pouty-type...I'm out!

He's not.

GOOD!

WAIT..how can I be sure you know what a "brooding pouty-type" is though? @smilepunch@

He's not.

GOOD!

WAIT..how can I be sure you know what a "brooding pouty-type" is though? @smilepunch@

I've been around you enough haven't I ;)

He's not.

GOOD!

You're funny... if ever the 2 of you make a movie together I'll probably brave my area to watch you on a 12 midnight opening @loll@

He's not.

GOOD!

@loll@ I kinda walked right into that one.