Mattel Monkeys Around With Collectors Again

JayC

No matter what you say, you won't be right. Jay was there. Were you there? If a guy that was there has these opinions and misunderstandings of Mattel's announcements, then doesn't that prove that some other people might have as well?

I think this hits the essence of the argument - Some people misunderstood and are upset. Other people understood perfectly well, and are defending them for that reason. I for one understood perfectly, so I feel the article isnt entirely fair, but I do see where the confusion could come from.

you understood something that was false? well bravo.

How can anyone understand matty?

I think when Matty says that the gleek figure will be available until sold out, and will be a gift to the fans that make the effort to attend SDCC, and won't be available anywhere else... THAT is understandable. JAY and everyone else understood that.

except, turns out it wasn't true.

mattel's announcements are inaccurate! And they have been proven to be inconsistent with what the signs/customer service at the booth said.

So let's not act like matty ran everything perfectly smooth, and some fans just didn't understand

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I do find it funny though, the one pic that was provided from another site, stating what Mattel did right. Next to it was a huge mistake of a sign that said all items sold out at SDCC will be available on August 3rd at mattycollector!!! Now that just one example of how inept the folks at Mattel are. Everything can't be blamed on the help, because the hire ups should have been there to make sure everything went smoothly!!!

Oh and quick question, the hispanic guy with all the books. Does he have a store??? If so, what's it called so we can avoid it???

Oh and so glad to see the Wonder Twins not selling out yet!!! Very happy about that!! If only everyone on here could have just resisted and boycotted this particular item!!!

you understood something that was false? well bravo.

Um...What? I was saying I understood what matty was saying, that Gleek wouldnt last as long as the twins (the "he" vs "they" point). Which was completely true...so what did i understand that was false?

what one-uppance? only in grimace-land

C'mon, now- everyone knows Grimace lives in McDonaldland.

when you turn the blame away from Mattel and ONTO fans, that is defending Mattel. You have made several claims that Mattel should be completely let off the hook for fans thinking that gleek might be included with the twins, or not knowing that gleek would sell out and did "sell out"

The only thing I said that might be taken as "blaming" the fans is that I think people should have checked their bags when they paid for their stuff and anyone who didn't should take some responsibility for not doing so. Who waits that long and pays that much and doesn't make sure they got what they paid for???

Hey, if I am at the con and see a sign that matty is selling a wondertwins with gleek set, I might go ahead and buy me a white boxed set and think I will get all the stuff shown in that poster. (but oops, I was supposed to read matty's facebook page first and realize that gleek wasn't in there).

I really doubt too many people tried to go through all that hassle just on a whim after seeing a poster at SDCC. Chances are, if you're into that stuff, you prepare ahead of time.

Or if I am waiting in a line that is a few hundred people long for hours.. I might not see a little cardboard sign until I get up to the front, and I might also be confused by the one right next to it that tells me I can get these items at mattycollector.com later. Or heck, they may have taken the sign down while I was in line to make changed to it.. whatever...

If you have that much trouble reading signs, I'm not surprised you're so upset. But, seriously, like you said the people standing in line are there FOR HOURS!!! What, are they all staring at the ground the whole time, or do you think while the line is pain-stakingly crawling along, that they might take all that time to glance around at all the signage in the area?

Ok, let it go everyone!! Grimace, has made his point. JayC, has edited his story, everyone else just let it go!!!

Let's talk about the real issues, the bunch of monkeys that are running the boys division over at Mattel!!! They are the clods that decided on the exclusive, they are the ones that did not follow their own limits, they are the ones that misplaced an entire case of Gleeks, and they are the ones that stupidly gave them away instead of just offering them randomly to customers on August 3rd!!!

Mattel should be our focus from here on out!! Enough with this board vs that board!!!

This just in, Although no official response has been recieved from a representative of Mattel, this photo from the SDCC afterparty has recently come to light:

Picture144.jpg

More on this story later!

Some of you aren't well.

Heal thy self as they say.

I'm not the one who hasn't posted on this board in a long time and I'm not the one whose first post back after a long hiatus is to attack the owner of the board then to run off to other boards to talk about his great adventures putting so and so in their place then scurrying back to this board to talk some more smack with your own Fwoosh lapdog in tow who only registered to be your mouthpiece.

And the Diarrhea-of-the-Mouth syndrome continues, again sans fact-checking. This little lapdog registered here years ago. And I scurried over here on my own.

Piffy doesn't get towed around.

You guys are hysterical.

Nobody puts Piffy in a corner.

Let's talk about the real issues, the bunch of monkeys that are running the boys division over at Mattel!!!

This just in, Although no official response has been received from a representative of Mattel, this photo from the SDCC afterparty has recently come to light:

Picture144.jpg

Ha ha ha, kudos Dragon, kudos!! That got a good laugh out of meh!!! The true culprits, the monkeys running the show!!!

@loll@

If you don't like the figure, then don't bother buying the damn thing. I didn't like it, didn't buy it no problems. And all those posters (mostly Raving Toy Maniac - man those people are freaking psychos, talk about a board that has no registration anonymous posts up the yin-yang, freaking messed up, like their f---ing kindergardners or something), that are ticked are either A. No Mattel fans or B. Just jumping on the fad. You are entitled to buy these figures. Its not you're god given right to get these figures when you see pictures of them on the Internet. It costs money and should be treated like any service due its availability like channels in Digital Cable and air conditioning. Be prepared to pay on E-Bay. Don't preorder just look for sellers with "in hand".

I ordered a He-Ro figure from 2 sellers and got an SDCC version for about 10 bucks more. Not a bad deal. You just gotta look and be patient.

/end rant

name='Piffy' post='16586058' date='Aug 4 2009, 12:32 PM']

Facts straight? Nobody has proven that the little cardboard sign (which we know wasn't put up in time and was changed around a few times)or matty's multiple facebook announcements (I don't visit matty's facebook page!) made everything clear to all collectors. Should we expect that all 150,000 possible customers at SDCC everyday went to matty's facebook page to learn about how gleek would be handed out?

I find the entire facebook thing hilarious my self, I find the entire fact that mattel has a face book page & expects fans to know about it & use it simply ludicrous let alone that they expect others to use it or even ?have to sign up to it? for news! They keep talking about how they want the matty site to be the focus but then go do things like faceook? @loll@ I will just say this, I have never, nor will ever go to use facebook for anything ! LOL Its simply not needed...

Oh couple of things, about those sold out signs that were put up, as JJ said they were put up from the start of the show so what good are they even though they continued to sell them ?

Also... Someone here said someone from matty said that the gleeks were random soooooooo... If they were random how would they know that they are sold out at the show?! Random but packed into larger boxes marked gleek? :S

The only thing I said that might be taken as "blaming" the fans is that I think people should have checked their bags when they paid for their stuff and anyone who didn't should take some responsibility for not doing so. Who waits that long and pays that much and doesn't make sure they got what they paid for???

If you have that much trouble reading signs, I'm not surprised you're so upset. But, seriously, like you said the people standing in line are there FOR HOURS!!! What, are they all staring at the ground the whole time, or do you think while the line is pain-stakingly crawling along, that they might take all that time to glance around at all the signage in the area?

To these comments

#1 Answer, me! I went to acon first time last year & got "stuck" with a king heman statue! I mean I figured the odds of me getting an actually chase were so slim to none I didn't even bother looking ,where as if I had I could have brought another one right then & there & had a statue & a regular figure to boot! & if you THINK you are getting a gleek automatically why WOULD you check?!

#2, as said last year while waiting in line half the time you can't even see the check out counter let alone a tiny ass little sign, all you see is whats beside you & the back of the jerks head that are infront of you :P & also... I work in a freaking mall, people don't read signs for s***! even though the signs for the bath room & post office are clearly marked & the hours of stores on the door, & map for stores are right in front of you when you first come in,, people ALWAYS aLWAYS come up to me & ask because they don't see these big HUGE HUGEass signs that already say! Heck they walk right past the rows of phonebooth & ask me where they are too! When I was buying stuff at con last thingI was thinking about about what they had up on the walls I just wanted to buy my stuff & get the **** out of the way!

So here's the question - when Mattel ran out of the monkies, did they lower the $40 price? 2-packs are usually $25 on Matty, right? Then that's $15 for the monkey. A little steep. You'd think they would have lowered the price if the set was no longer going to include this very rare, and therefore valuable, pack-in.

As far as Fwoosh's size, which isn't really that relevant, their forum says the most people online at the same time was 182, back in July of 2008. While their members may post a lot, that doesn't seem like an outlet reasonably calculated by Mattel to make amends to the people who felt ripped off by not getting the Gleek they thought they were getting. I would have been mighty pissed if I had gotten that set.

And remember, some people had other people waiting in line to hook them up with the set. The person buying the set might not have had any idea about the significance of Gleek. The whole Gleek thing seems to have irritated a lot of fans from start to finish. Presumbably that would be the opposite of good marketing. Mattel really dropped the ball.

This happened to also be the same person that just happened to win one of those Anti-Monitor figures this year. To me it seems like Mattel plays favorites to the little toadies that ass kiss their toy lines and gloss over their mistakes. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

So when you have two of the biggest Mattel toadies running those boards it definitely makes you wonder and creates a definte sense of some lopsidedness.

The above statements only perpetuate the negative view other sites have towards the current TNI community, and it's disappointing to see the amount of name-calling of individuals on this thread. Whether it's due to frustration, resentment, or ignorance, I can't tell, but it sucks to see the amount of hate here. This is totally uncalled-for.

Now your other major argument seems to be with his comments against ANI. You do realize that both ANI and Julian are never named in the article. I would have never known (or cared) what site he was talking about until you named them in your crusade. And let’s face facts; Julian is not the most beloved member of the collector community (despite what he thinks). Many people think he is so far up Mattel’s back side it’s not even funny(Hal, Antimonitor, early samples...etc etc). Personally I think Julian is okay as he's just doing his thing, but a lot of community does not feel that way. So why bring him into this argument and begin naming names?

The fact is, Jay chose to specifically call out AFi and Julius Marx with that statement. Just because he wasn't named, doesn't mean everyone knew exactly who he was referring to. That was really an unnecessary part of the article.

Don, you and I have been friends for a long time. I would think that you would know by now that it's actually "AFi" and "Julius", but I knew who you meant. As a mod here, you represent the opinions and attitudes of TNI and it's honestly disappointing to see you backing up the insinuations that Julius received anything through dishonest methods. That was surprising to me. Despite you mentioning that you think he is "okay", the overall tone of the above speaks otherwise. To state things like "he is not the most beloved member of the collector community (despite what he thinks)" and "many people think he is so far up Mattel’s back side it’s not even funny" does nothing more than to add to the negativity surrounding this discussion. If it's not pertinent to the topic, then, as you said above, why bring him into this argument and attack his character?

If you really cared about the reporting you would have first PMed or emailed JayC and told him your concerns. He is very accessible and I’m sure would have been more apt to change his article based on your concerns if this had been done in private first. Only if he refused to acknowledge your issues should your critique have been posted on an open forum. Instead you came in with guns loaded, a very low post count and an obvious agenda and went right in. Of course board members here (with a decent post count) would defend the site. If I went over to ANI, YoJoe, Fwoosh, the .org or any of the larger sites and posted a complaint against one of their news items and attacked their admin I would be blasted far worse. Actually I’ve seen this happen, try this on the .org and it wouldn’t be pretty.

I can't comment on the agendas of other posters and their behavior, but I can tell you that if I complained about the AFi dig, it would not have changed the content. The ownership here has been very negative towards AFi and Julius, for reasons I don't understand, but are obvious when reading the article. Why else would there be assumed and unsubstantiated claims made in what is supposed to be a "news article". It makes it look like Jay and TNI is 'officially' calling out both AFi and Fwoosh for no other reason than to be petty and jealous. That's not a good thing. There is no reason for the AFi and Fwoosh digs in the piece, and as a member of the staff here, I'm surprised you were comfortable with the way the article was written. All it does is get the fans riled up, and this thread is a result of that. The article could have easily been written without those elements.

I am a member of AFi, but also a member of TNI, Fwoosh, CriticalMess, the .Org, YoJoe, JBL, HISS, JoeCustoms, and many others. I have been a contributing member of the TNI/ADC board for seven years, made many friends here, and have enjoyed some awesome discussions here. This board is a key cog of the online toy community machine.

So why do we all get wrapped up in all this community in-fighting so easily? There's really no need for it. We are all here for the same reasons. Yes, the Mattel SDCC Gleek issue is terrible, and has created a lot of anger and frustration, but I dislike seeing that anger turned around and spread to the various communities and individuals. There's no need for the TNI vs Fwoosh vs AFI vs whoever garbage. That will go nowhere. No one will "win". Instead, we will be territorial, and miserable, and petty. That takes the fun right out of the hobby.

Don't fuel the fires. Don't respond with emotion. You will be more respected for providing a thoughtful response versus a defensive, angry comment. We all have our loyalties and opinions, and we need to respect that. And most importantly, respect each other.

Either way Mattel handed everything wrong from start to finish, Making Gleek a SDCC exclusive was an extremely poor choice, yes we all hate the twins and the monkey but they are part of our childhoods and part of what made many 28 - 35 year olds DC fans. Mattel should continue to offer whatever they have at the SDCC to the fans through MC and use some type of special stamp or collector package to tell the difference. Personally I love the lights and sounds that came with the WT and KG however I would rather NOT have the sounds than to miss an essential character.

I didn't think Jay wrote a bad article, if anything it was more so blamed at Mattel and how their choices affect the collector community. I don't think it was an attack on Fwoosh at all. We all know Fwoosh gets special treatment and its normally not a problem but because the Gleek thing was such a big deal that it all seemed in poor taste considering many traveled for the complete exclusive pack and the rucus that was steady since the Gleek fiasco was announced.

Lastly, it was nice to see many posters on TNI who have had recent disagreements actually unite to defend this site and JayC. Even some of the ones who never get into it with anyone...*cough "DEGRA" cough*...lol

This happened to also be the same person that just happened to win one of those Anti-Monitor figures this year. To me it seems like Mattel plays favorites to the little toadies that ass kiss their toy lines and gloss over their mistakes. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

So when you have two of the biggest Mattel toadies running those boards it definitely makes you wonder and creates a definte sense of some lopsidedness.

The above statements only perpetuate the negative view other sites have towards the current TNI community, and it's disappointing to see the amount of name-calling of individuals on this thread. Whether it's due to frustration, resentment, or ignorance, I can't tell, but it sucks to see the amount of hate here. This is totally uncalled-for.

Well I'm just calling it as I see it. If AFI's Julius wants to be heavily involved with Mattel and Toy Guru that's fine. However if you are going to have a special relationship with a company then I think it is only fair that you recuse yourself from contests and giveaways as to avoid any sense of impropriety. Julius didn't and therefore he nor you should be shocked when fans think it is a little convenient when he wins an Anti-Monitor or when Fwoosh gets a case of Gleeks to giveaway. Furthermore, by Fwoosh adding the unnecessary caveat that only members prior to the contest could participate it smacks of VeeBee being an elitist prick looking out for his own. Instead of viewing the Gleek giveaway as an avenue to bring in new posters it came across as petty and insular. JayC didn't exclude people when they gave away last month Hordak. If people really want to talk of cultivating community across the internet that's how you go about it--Afterall if we are all just toy fans then why should we start excluding each other.

If one was to look at the coverage of Mattel and the SDCC panels it was clear TNI did a far better job in its extensive coverage whereas Fwoosh and AFI posted very little. I went to those sites and I was astonished at the anemic amount of coverage and lack of information provided. So when you take in all these various elements to me I think it is fair to think there is some favoritism being exhibited by Mattel towards these sites.

And I actually don't believe there is negative view of TNI. Sure there are a couple of the same posters from AFI and Fwoosh repeatedly posting the hate towards TNI but it isn't a mob of hundreds of posters across dozens of fansites.