Mattel Monkeys Around With Collectors Again

JayC

So much hostility in so little time, yeesh...

In the end, I'm glad I don't really care about that monkey so I can buy the twins and be happy. And I will be! Assuming I can get them off the website..

Anyway, as for the traffic of fwoosh versus TNI, Jay is right, fwoosh has significantly less traffic than TNI. I like to use this site:

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/toynewsi.com

Just type in thefwoosh.com in the compare section, and you'll see fwoosh has significantly less traffic than TNI. It is comparable to marvelousnews.com, which is one section of TNI.

Keep in mind at the above link, the traffic data for TNI doesn't inlcude marvelousnews.com, jediinsider.com, or tformers.com, b/c they're at separate URL's

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Degra- thanks for responding and posting that, but just because they have different "shipments" going out (one to SDCC directly, the other to their website warehouses), that doesn't mean they are from different production runs.

There was still one bigass production run of WT sets and one much, much smaller run for Gleeks. Nowhere does that say that there would be an equal number of Gleeks as there are # of WT sets going to the con.

In the end, I'm glad I don't really care about that monkey so I can buy the twins and be happy. And I will be! Assuming I can get them off the website..

Anyway, as for the traffic of fwoosh versus TNI, Jay is right, fwoosh has significantly less traffic than TNI. I like to use this site:

Just type in thefwoosh.com in the compare section, and you'll see fwoosh has significantly less traffic than TNI. It is comparable to marvelousnews.com, which is one section of TNI.

Keep in mind at the above link, the traffic data for TNI doesn't inlcude marvelousnews.com, jediinsider.com, or tformers.com, b/c they're at separate URL's

Yeah, but look at the time spent. Fwoosh has a whopping 9 times the average user time. People may pop in here for news, but they stay at Fwoosh for the community.

hmmm i really wonder how mnay of these new posters that are here today are from other sites...?

let me say this about "whopping 9 times more". that doesnt matter to an adverster...they see traffic and the traffic represents a new set of eyes seeing thier product on this site, in theory meaning mattle should care more of this site than another whos traffic is less. this contest did nothing but help fwoosh out, as i for one, never heard of them before now.

Yeah, but look at the time spent. Fwoosh has a whopping 9 times the average user time. People may pop in here for news, but they stay at Fwoosh for the community.

Well I can think of two other possibilites:

1. TNI links to marvelousnews.com, tformers.com, etc, and maybe that's where people are spending their time. For example the Marvel Database and the marvel forums are not under the toynewsi.com url

2. The traffic data for TNI include forums.toynewsi.com in addition to news pages and links to other sites marvelousnews, so it might be kind of an apples to oranges comparison

Or you might be right and fwoosh members spend more time in their forum. I don't think there can be a definitive answer.

Fwoosh gets exclusives from the Four Horsemen from their 7th Kingdom line. Have for a couple years now. If you collect Marvel Legends or DC Universe stuff, you probably go there from time to time (if not all the time). it's not the biggest site, but they're well-known for what they do.

And if anyone was referring to me as a new member, check under my avatar and notice I've been here since '05.

Just a personal note.

For my part, I have not bought any of the MOTUC figures. I don't think the price is justified by the product. I don't like the way they are distributed. I think that Mattycollector as a website is a joke.

DCUC on the other hand, I do collect. I have very serious issues with the way they have handled this line as well.

Mattel says that they don't depend on the collector segment to support this line.

That is a lie, plain and simple.

With the upcoming and current price increases, who do they think will be buying the DCUC figures?

Certainly not little Billy's mom. Not at nearly $15 a piece.

No, that price increase is aimed squarely at the collectors.

Also, is little Billy gonna want Deadshot? Desaad? Iron? Silver Banshee?

The answer is NO.

Those are again aimed squarely at collectors and their wallets.

Now, with MOTUC being DEFINED as a collector line and DCUC being TREATED like a collector line, you'd think that Mattel would be a little more concerned with the collector market and it's opinions.

But, the bottom line is they don't care. If we as collectors don't buy their product, scalpers will. Mattel doesn't care WHO buys their product, as long as it's bought. They got their money, so why would they care who it comes from?

The BS factor here is that they have continued to screw the collectors, because they insist they don't need us. But we make up at least half of their sales, with the other half split between scalpers and casual shoppers.

Mattel will continue to do business as they have, even if it kills DCUC.

The MOTU200X fiasco taught them nothing. They did the same thing with the DCSH line. They will kill DCUC too. All because the opinions and concerns of several thousand "collectors" mean nothing to the dozen or so in Mattel who manage these product lines.

Despite all their BS, Mattel NEEDS us. They need to realize that before they lose the support of those of us who drive sales and keep them in business.

Stars

1. TNI links to marvelousnews.com, tformers.com, etc, and maybe that's where people are spending their time. For example the Marvel Database and the marvel forums are not under the toynewsi.com url

2. The traffic data for TNI include forums.toynewsi.com in addition to news pages and links to other sites marvelousnews, so it might be kind of an apples to oranges comparison

Or you might be right and fwoosh members spend more time in their forum. I don't think there can be a definitive answer.

Well, looking up all the secondary sites, none seem to get any higher average time than 3.7 minutes a day. Also, the subsites like forums are accounted for under the main site. Most of the sites also show that less than half the visitors even visit the forums sections. So I think it's clear that the majority of the traffic here is just to pop in and out for news.

Which is fine. This is mainly a news site with some forums added on. Totally different than Fwoosh which focuses on the community instead.

I think it's the atmosphere that Mattel prefers.

DCUC on the other hand, I do collect. I have very serious issues with the way they have handled this line as well.

Mattel says that they don't depend on the collector segment to support this line.

I have some issues with DCUC as well, but I don't recall Mattel ever stating this. Do you have a reference for it?

Well, looking up all the secondary sites, none seem to get any higher average time than 3.7 minutes a day. Also, the subsites like forums are accounted for under the main site. Most of the sites also show that less than half the visitors even visit the forums sections. So I think it's clear that the majority of the traffic here is just to pop in and out for news.

Which is fine. This is mainly a news site with some forums added on. Totally different than Fwoosh which focuses on the community instead.

I think it's the atmosphere that Mattel prefers.

mattel cares about money and not community/fans which is evident by the gleek fiasco

Very well written and right on. The point is well made, Mattel needs to do better and keep its fans in mind. The collector community is big and can take its business to HASBRO, who had all of their exclusives available online after the Con.

(OK, the Stormtrooper sold out and came back in stock, but you get my point.)

DS

Just a personal note.

For my part, I have not bought any of the MOTUC figures. I don't think the price is justifeid by the product. I don't like the way they are distributed. I think that Mattycollector as a website is a joke.

That is a lie, plain and simple.

With the upcoming and current price increases, who do they think will be buying the DCUC figures?

Certainly not little Billy's mom. Not at nearly $15 a piece.

No, that price increase us aimed squarely at the collectors.

Also, is little Billy gonna want Deadshot? Desaad? Iron? Silver Banshee?

The answer is NO.

Those are again aimed squarely at collectors and their wallets.

Now, with MOTUC being DEFINED as a collector line and DCUC being TREATED like a collector line, you'd think that Mattel would be a little more concerned with the collector market and it's opinions.

But, the bottom line is they don't care. If we as collectors don't buy their product, scalpers will. Mattel doesn't care WHO buys their product, as long as it's bought. They got their money, so why would they care who it comes from?

The BS factor here is that they have continued to screw the collectors, because they insist they don't need us. But we make up at least half of their sales, with the other half split between scalpers and casual shoppers.

Mattel will continue to do business as they have, even if it kills DCUC.

And the best part is none of you are doing anything about it.

Let me be clear about this again, it's like the fifth time I've said it here: The reason they don't give a crap about what the collector thinks is because through all the QC, exclusive and distribution problems people are still buying this stuff. The collector, which I believe you're right about being the lines bread and butter, is still buying this stuff, which is telling Mattel that it's doing just fine.

Their "opinion" is influenced by sales and apparently sales are good enough to continue the line. Who's going to stop buying them? You? I heard one guy say he was getting Green Arrow and he was out. That's it. None of you are willing to stop collecting DCUC. Which tells Mattel that all the problems you're having with this line aren't really problems.

In regards to the original article on the front page, darksith wrote:

Very well written and right on. The point is well made, Mattel needs to do better and keep its fans in mind.

DS

If you read through the last couple pages of this thread, you'll see that several of his "points" are false and based on nothing except his unwillingness to look into what he's speculating.

I have some issues with DCUC as well, but I don't recall Mattel ever stating this. Do you have a reference for it?

Not off-hand. Just things I've read or heard here and there. I work for a toy retailer and know our Mattel rep fairly well, maybe I heard it from her.

And no disrespect meant, but I won't track down that info, as I don't have several hours to spend pouring over every Mattel article or snippet on the web or in print. And again as I said, it may have come from my local Mattel rep anyway.

Stars

Their "opinion" is influenced by sales and apparently sales are good enough to continue the line. Who's going to stop buying them? You? I heard one guy say he was getting Green Arrow and he was out. That's it. None of you are willing to stop collecting DCUC. Which tells Mattel that all the problems you're having with this line aren't really problems.

And don't feed us lines about dealing with scalpers. We enabled the scalpers the minute they started selling toys at inflated prices. I've done it before because "I couldn't wait" for the figures to hit my local store, some people have other reasons. And you know what? If I could I'd move to the West Coast or wherever these figures land first in America, snatch up all the DCUC figures I could find and sell them on eBay. Because there's always one person willing to waste their rent money on the latest and greatest toys.

You know, I was with you until, you decided to attack me for an opinion.

I didn't feed any lines about scaplers. It was an honest estimate of the market share taken up by respective groups. I know because I see it all the time. I take that info and extrapolate it to a larger scale and reached a logical conclusion.

Seriously, it was one word mentioned twice in a lenghty opinion.

You gonna go after me for using the word squarely too?

I don't use scalpers. I don't need to. I WORK at a toystore.

As far as gving them up? I may. I'm not interested in 5 figures up through wave 12.

Your type of response, and others like it have been what has kept me away from this site for over a year. I got sick and tired of all the negativity and slander.

I didn't cast any doubts or opinions on your diatribes, so why do that to me?

Have the decency to give others the respect they give you. If you are treated badly by someone, feel free to treat them in kind.

I said nothing offensive to you, so I expect the same treatment.

If you can't provide that, I will cease to respond to your inquries.

Stars

Leave it to Mattel to incite hostilities between fansites. AFI is bashing TNI. Some posters at Fwoosh are acting like snotty children towards TNI.

It is so good to see Mattel bringing out the best in people and cultivating harmony between fellow fans. :rolleyes:

Apparently I too am baffled on how an exclusive such as this brings hostality between forum members. Honestly, the whole gleek dilemma is the first time I have had people insult me to the point where I have to use the ignore feature.

it plain and simple mattel f'd up......they should have given them all at sdcc if there were any left over I they should have included them with the purchase of the wonder twin set on monday till they were all gone. That would have been the fair thing to do. Giving them away like that is a crap idea imo.

I wish people would take more joy in their collecting!

Let's all go to the "Imaginary waves" or the " Wave 12 is coming" threads and discuss how excited we are about cool characters that are coming that we'd never thought we'd see in a toy.

it plain and simple mattel f'd up......they should have given them all at sdcc if there were any left over I they should have included them with the purchase of the wonder twin set on monday till they were all gone. That would have been the fair thing to do. Giving them away like that is a crap idea imo.

How would that work though? Mattel doesn't sell the stuff on the website, they contract out to another company. So they would have had to taken the box of Gleeks and then send it to the other company to distribute. Then what? They'd have to keep track of who ordered when so when filling the orders they make sure the first 100 people ordering get them. Not to mention that said company distributes from at least 2 locations I believe.

Okay, I think I see cjfan's point!!

People, if we are to truly show Mattel what it means to alienate your fanbase, then stop buying the line right now!! Let the scalpers get their He-Ro's and Wonder Twins tomorrow. Let them sit on their shelves till they collect dust, so that they get out of the game!! Return your figures that you can and get your money back! Do not buy anymore waves! Then and only then when they see the glut of figures sitting on pegs and in their warehouse will they come crawling back and apologize!!! cjfan, I agree with ya.

However I still think you rag on ML a bit much!!! ^_^ Yet I do know they had their fair share of problems!! Just looking at my bow legged Hawkeye and my scrawny Vision proves it!! But then I see that beautiful Juggernaut and classic John Romita Hulk and they can do no wrong!! Ha ha!

The MOTU200X fiasco taught them nothing. They did the same thing with the DCSH line. They will kill DCUC too. All because the opinions and concerns of several thousand "collectors" mean nothing to the dozen or so in Mattel who manage these product lines.

Despite all their BS, Mattel NEEDS us. They need to realize that before they lose the support of those of us who drive sales and keep them in business.

Stars

It's funny you should mention this. Over on He-Man.org, there's a large thread on a similar topic, pointing out the importance and significance of Mattel listening to their customers.

I don't know what good it will do, though. I do know you're right. Mattel needs its collectors, even if they don't seem to want to acknowledge that fact.

How would that work though? Mattel doesn't sell the stuff on the website, they contract out to another company. So they would have had to taken the box of Gleeks and then send it to the other company to distribute. Then what? They'd have to keep track of who ordered when so when filling the orders they make sure the first 100 people ordering get them. Not to mention that said company distributes from at least 2 locations I believe.

fine them keep them and ship them out to the people that email or call that they didnt get one or got one that was broken.

And don't feed us lines about dealing with scalpers. We enabled the scalpers the minute they started selling toys at inflated prices. I've done it before because "I couldn't wait" for the figures to hit my local store, some people have other reasons. And you know what? If I could I'd move to the West Coast or wherever these figures land first in America, snatch up all the DCUC figures I could find and sell them on eBay. Because there's always one person willing to waste their rent money on the latest and greatest toys.

You know, I was with you until, you decided to attack me for an opinion.

I didn't feed any lines about scaplers. It was an honest estimate of the market share taken up by respective groups. I know because I see it all the time. I take that info and extrapolate it to a larger scale and reached a logical conclusion.

Seriously, it was one word mentioned twice in a lenghty opinion.

You gonna go after me for using the word squarely too?

I don't use scalpers. I don't need to. I WORK at a toystore.

As far as gving them up? I may. I'm not interested in 5 figures up through wave 12.

Your type of response, and others like it have been what has kept me away from this site for over a year. I got sick and tired of all the negativity and slander.

I didn't cast any doubts or opinions on your diatribes, so why do that to me?

Have the decency to give others the respect they give you. If you are treated badly by someone, feel free to treat them in kind.

I said nothing offensive to you, so I expect the same treatment.

If you can't provide that, I will cease to respond to your inquries.

Stars

Geez man, I've seen skeletons with thicker skin. I'll take the heat for the scalper remark, I'll even get rid of it. Fine. But slander? Seriously? Slander would be saying something like Mattel doesn't care about the collectors with nothing to back it up.