Mattel Monkeys Around With Collectors Again

JayC

I just hope that I am able to get the figures I want tomorrow. I will be ordering a set of the Wonder Twins for a friend of mine but he really does not like Gleek. I want to get He-Ro and the Egon figures as well.....I just hope that everything does not sell out before I get to order them due to the "too much bs page" for high traffic. The only way I would consider boycotting them is if Wave 10 is not distributed properly. If it will be as common as the Captain Cold figure, I think I may be ok. If the only place I see the figures at is on Ebay...well I would consider stopping to buy their products after my MOTUC are over and done with.

I really do not know much about the Fwoosh since I have never ventured over there. I have gone to AFI but I decided to register for the forums last Sunday and have yet to recieve a reply to say I can join the forum. It may have gone to the spam folder or been accidently deleted. Anyhow I do agree with everyone that the whole Fwoosh getting the Gleeks is a bunch of bs. Hopefully they will learn from their mistakes and not do this again...oh wait.....forgot what company I was talking about...(You can have Mattel Dollars for broken figures..especially the ones that are selling on Ebay for ridiculous prices!!!)

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, they did mention Gleek might not be available for the entire con:

FROM MATTY'S FACEBOOK PAGE/Monday, April 20, 2009 at 1:59pm

Toy Fans,

Wanted to give everyone a few updates on upcoming product and order details.

1: We are fixing or have fixed all of the problems that occured last week with Mer-Man. Honestly, all of these issues came from way more fans then expected ordering this product. Not only have we increased bandwidth to accomodate, but this will help us work out production runs going forward to make sure we have enough product for fan demands. We did not intend for this to happen and we are doing everything we can to correct it ASAP.

I personally appologize again for all the fans who could not get their order through. We are going to offer free shipping to all the fans we over sold to whose orders will be filled by the second shipment coming at the end of April. Once we can confirm the onsale date for Mer Man's second shipment we will anounce it here and on the site.

2: We are also aware that some of the figures are not shipping in as mint condition as we have asked for. The fix this, all figures going forward (starting in July) will have an outer shipper box. (much like the DCU and JLU figure sets). We implemented this as soon as we could and it looks like the first figure to get this box will be He-Ro. All figures after him will have an outer shipping box too.

3: A few clarification on some of the SDCC items from fan posts:

- We did not include a masked JLU Hal Jordan head simply because we do not have the right to do a masked JLU style Hal Jordan do to the Holiday toy from a few years back. The pack we produced with swappable heads is the closest we can get within our contract to do a JLU Hal Jordan.

-We will announce limits and buying details in the next month or so. The same buying limits which apply at the convention will apply online.

-Gleek is indeed our SDCC exclusive and will not be available after the show. In fact, he may "sell out" before the show is over so be sure to get your Wonder Twins set early. There will not be Gleeks left over after the show. He is designed to be a reward for fans who come out to the show to make it special much like we did with Keldor, Grundy, Catwoman and white/clear ManBat in the past. None of these figures were available online just as Gleek will only be at the show.

But now that we have MattyCollector.com, we will indeed put the other items which are available first at SDCC online soon after the show. We don't yet have an onsale date yet, but ideally this will be the sometime the week after the show.

We are still a good few months out and will post all of the ordering details well in advance. Hang tight, but we do promise to make sure our fans are up to date well in advance of any sales.

And once again, I appologize for the mishapes with last weeks Mer Man. We are doing everything we can to work with Digital River to ensure this never happens again!

Best,

Matty

Now, obviously they didn't expect to be left with the extra box, but they did what they could with it to be as fair as possible. Better to give them out rather than sell them, right?

And it was mentioned time and again that Gleek would be in a seperate package. If you bought one without knowing or properly checking he was included that is no one's fault but your own. People need to take responsibility for their own actions, or perhaps 'lack there of' in this case.

Well done Grimace on both posts.

Now to be fair, there were accusations from people on this board that Mattel was selling them to the vendors first (if anyone who was actually at SDCC can confirm this then speak your piece) and not keeping to the limit per customer and if that's true then that's not cool. As for the missing box that was as big a screw-up as you can get, completely inexcusable.

Then you have that Dr. Venture fella who said they can't sell them outside of the convention. Not sure about that but if they can't sell them then I guess they do have to give them out. If they can sell them outside the convention then there's no reason to add them to the Wonder Twins set being sold tomorrow on a first come, first serve basis.

Grimace, are you trying to say in this post your quoting from Mattel it says somewhere they will have more Twins than Gleeks at the show??? Cause i'm not seeing it???

"Gleek is indeed our SDCC exclusive and will not be available after the show. In fact, he may "sell out" before the show is over so be sure to get your Wonder Twins set early. "

This says to me that they are indicating that the Wonder Twins with Gleek might sell out fast, not that they have more Wonder Twins figures than Gleeks, especially when you read the intial news Mattel put out about these I see nothing here that states you might be SOL on Gleek even if you buy the set at the con.

"He is designed to be a reward for fans who come out to the show to make it special much like we did with Keldor, Grundy, Catwoman and white/clear ManBat in the past. None of these figures were available online just as Gleek will only be at the show."

Again nothing here about more Twins than Gleeks, in fact hammering the point that this is your reward for coming, so you would think they would have enough Gleeks to go along with Wonder Twins they bring to the con wouldn't you????? Thats if they were wanting to reward you?

Leave it to Mattel to incite hostilities between fansites. AFI is bashing TNI. Some posters at Fwoosh are acting like snotty children towards TNI.

It is so good to see Mattel bringing out the best in people and cultivating harmony between fellow fans. :rolleyes:

I've been collecting toys and action figures since 1984 and still do, and as I sit here I honestly can say I can't think of a great mess up than what Mattel has been doing to their fanbase-both collectors and casual buyers- over the past few years.

First it started with the He-Man relaunch-hard to find the figures and when you did the assortments were always X number of He-Man variants with maybe one or two other characters in each wave.

Fast forward to now and DC Universe seems to be suffering the same-if not a worse-fate. Figures are impossible to find at retail-shortpacked/chase figures are even worse. The quality control problems seem to be taking a back burner to the simple fact that we-as a buying public-CAN NOT FIND THE FIGURES TO PURCHASE THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Now Mattel does something like this at SDCC. Has no one at the company studied the other convention problems over the past few years and taken steps to make it smoother, both for the fans and their own employees?

Apparently not.

I was one of the ones outraged at leaving out Gleek from the online sales post-SDCC. To me, they could have included Gleek in the package, and had the bucket of water and the eagle as the baggie add ons. As popular as the DCU line is, they figures would have sold and those attending SDCC still would have had unique pieces to make their set worth going to the convention. That, coupled with the fact that with all the bad will they've created over the past few months with the mistreatment of DCU, they could have repaired a lof of the damage by having Gleek included in both SDCC and online sales.

But, once again, the logical way to run a business has totally escaped their collective grasp.

Mattel, as a 40 year old collector I implore you: THINK about what you are doing to the fan base and understand that we are WILLING TO GIVE YOU MONEY FOR YOUR TOYS, but you NEED to get those toys out to us and-if I may be blunt-STOP PISSING OFF YOUR FANBASE.

Yes, I know that the collectors are not your target audience. However, we are buying your toys and quite simply the decisions you have made since the start of the line are not just in error, but very very sloppy and that is NO way a multi-billion dollar company should run, lurching from crisis to crisis.

You make a great toys and we WANT to give you money for them. But if you continue to make figures in quanties no one can find and have a website that can't handle the traffic for those toys when they are released, then either you're simply not caring about your customers, employees or stockholders or you're trying your dammest to go out of business.

Keep up things like this, and you'll get that second wish all too soon.

Jay, get your facts straight.

Mattel said from the start that Gleek was a polybagged giveaway extra. Fwoosh had THREE of them to give away. You talk like Mattel handed them thousands to distribute. The fact is that when Comic-Con commissions a company to create these kinds of exclusives, the company at hand CANNOT sell them outside of the convention. Mattel can only give them away without purchase. It's the same exact reason that you don't see Dc Universe wave 5 at Kmart or Mattycollector.com. Mattel could just burn them if they wanted. They aren't seeing any profit from this.

Not saying you're wrong, but uh, how did Sonic Arm Cyborg and Unmasked Batman Beyond end up at everyone's Target and Wal-Mart? And how do all those convention exclusives (Giganta, Lobo, Invader four pack, Soundwave, etc.) end up on the companies respective Web sites?

Again, NOT saying you're wrong, but I am asking you to clarify.

Are you that slow? You can't break a contract with a company that no longer exists. When Kaybee went out of business, they sent there remaining stock back to Mattel, so therefore Mattel can sell them to whomever, and where ever they please. That's why.

Jesus!!!

And what do you have to say about the other part of the question wise-ass? If companies like Mattel and Hasbro have contracts to not sell convention exclusives outside the convention then why do they pop up on their respective Web sites right after?

If you going to be a troll, at least be a thorough one.

Listen dummy... Mattel is not selling Gleek, neither is Fwoosh. Get your facts straight before ranting about something that you've no about.

Reading is fundamental.

Yet I'm a troll! right.

Leave it to Mattel to incite hostilities between fansites. AFI is bashing TNI. Some posters at Fwoosh are acting like snotty children towards TNI.

It is so good to see Mattel bringing out the best in people and cultivating harmony between fellow fans. :rolleyes:

I don't know about fwoosh (never been there) but if Mattel ever read some of the things said about them on here (including things I said) then I wouldn't be expecting handouts from them anytime soon.

I don't know about fwoosh (never been there) but if Mattel ever read some of the things said about them on here (including things I said) then I wouldn't be expecting handouts from them anytime soon.

Well kissing their asses doesn't seem to work so might as well be honest and pull no punches with regards to the issues we genuinely have with their inept handling of certain things.

Frankly I grow tired of the Mattel apologists telling everyone they should just be grateful for just having the figures or be grateful for getting at least the Twins on Matty etc. And their constant trembling at the knees like fanboys when Toy Guru pops up in a thread.

No it is the other way around--Mattel should be grateful we spend our hard earned money on their merchandise--some of which is sloppily painted and misassembled with poor distribution. I'm not worried about offending them with my criticisms.

Mattel said from the start that Gleek was a polybagged giveaway extra. Fwoosh had THREE of them to give away. You talk like Mattel handed them thousands to distribute. The fact is that when Comic-Con commissions a company to create these kinds of exclusives, the company at hand CANNOT sell them outside of the convention. Mattel can only give them away without purchase. It's the same exact reason that you don't see Dc Universe wave 5 at Kmart or Mattycollector.com. Mattel could just burn them if they wanted. They aren't seeing any profit from this.

Not saying you're wrong, but uh, how did Sonic Arm Cyborg and Unmasked Batman Beyond end up at everyone's Target and Wal-Mart? And how do all those convention exclusives (Giganta, Lobo, Invader four pack, Soundwave, etc.) end up on the companies respective Web sites?

Are you that slow? You can't break a contract with a company that no longer exists. When Kaybee went out of business, they sent there remaining stock back to Mattel, so therefore Mattel can sell them to whomever, and where ever they please. That's why.

Jesus!!!

And what do you have to say about the other part of the question wise-ass? If companies like Mattel and Hasbro have contracts to not sell convention exclusives outside the convention then why do they pop up on their respective Web sites right after?

Listen dummy... Mattel is not selling Gleek, neither is Fwoosh. Get your facts straight before ranting about something that you've no about.

Reading is fundamental.

Yet I'm a troll! right.

Except you are attacking and calling people dumbasses to try and make your point. Its not your point that makes you a troll its how you act that does. If you don't like the label then quit acting like a 3 year old.

I'm surprised that people thought they would get a Gleek in the Wonder Twins package since Mattel posted the information before Comic-Con about him being in a separate baggie. I'm also pretty sure Mattel had a sign for their exclusives at the booth that said which items were sold out and Gleek was listed. If you missed both those warnings, I don't think you can blame Mattel.

Yeah, I guess it could be read and construed the way you're taking it, JayC, but the way I read that, it meant there were a limited # of Gleeks in general compared to all the WT sets.

Actually, it's a pretty obvious conclusion to make considering the fact that we knew the left over sets would be put on Matty's site for sale sans Gleek. That, in and of itself, says there are a lot more WT sets than Gleeks period, so there's no way anyone should've thought that there'd be enough Gleeks to last the whole con.

Actually, it's a pretty obvious conclusion to make considering the fact that we knew the left over sets would be put on Matty's site for sale sans Gleek. That, in and of itself, says there are a lot more WT sets than Gleeks period, so there's no way anyone should've thought that there'd be enough Gleeks to last the whole con.

But that wasn't the case. Mattel said the Matty Twins were a separate production apart from the quantity produced for SDCC. What will be available on Matty aren't the leftovers so this particular line of thought you put forth holds no water.

I haven't heard them say that, so I don't know if it's right or not. However, I read every Facebook posting, Q & A, and everything else they put out and that doesn't sound familiar.

Not saying it's definitely false, but I need citation to be convinced.

the fwoosh is obscure...

i had never heard of it before now, and i used to work in a comic store....

when i did visit it it was bland to say the least...

but my question is to the admin....

why are you just now getting involved in these posts about mattel? this has been a debacle for awhile...

He may "sell out".

Not They. Also "sell out" is in quotes because he's not really for sale.

Not that hard to understand really.

Yup, he. I thought it was pretty clear, but if you're just doing a quick read I guess I can see where the confusion could come from.

Look... People here are not gonna see it Mattels' way no matter what evidence is placed in front of them. They have too much invested to be proven wrond, especially after some of the statement that have been made.

I think it's lame to attack other sites, just because your site isn't the one chosen to for the Christmas Hal, or to give away the lost Gleeks.

That's was pretty Lame.

DangerDrVenture is always wrong so I'll ignore anyway.

Yeah, I guess it could be read and construed the way you're taking it, JayC, but the way I read that, it meant there were a limited # of Gleeks in general compared to all the WT sets.

If thats how you read it thats great, and perhaps in Mattel's bad wording maybe thats what they meant, but it certainly not clearly stated as such especially when they previously reported otherwise on all the toy news websites and magazines including the comic-con website.

Even if they had plainly said on their Facebook page at some point "oh by the way we are not going to have enough gleeks to go with the Twins at the con," what they have 3k members on that page? out of all the collectors out there can you honestly sit there and say Mattel would have done a sufficient job of informing the public before hand by only posting once there in a mirad of other stuff?? I mean seriously wouldn't you think at the very least they would have told people at the con who were buying the figures that "oh hey we are sold out of Gleeks so do you still want to buy this????"""

Jesus!!!

Reading is fundamental.

Yet I'm a troll! right.

EDIT: Took some words out after a private conversation.

I apologize for not being as smart as CajunBats and not understanding simple concepts of business, like why other retailers can sell KB Toys exclusives even though they are in the process of becoming an online only store and for asking someone not named CajunBats to clarify something he said. What the f*** was I thinking.

Plus there's this excellent point that Vogue made.

He may "sell out".

Not They. Also "sell out" is in quotes because he's not really for sale.

Not that hard to understand really.

Here's the point in question:

Gleek is indeed our SDCC exclusive and will not be available after the show. In fact, he may "sell out" before the show is over so be sure to get your Wonder Twins set early.

They don't say "THEY" may sell out, meaning the whole set. They say, "HE" may sell out, meaning Gleek.

Double plus, there's also the fact that Mattel posted a big, hand-written sign behind there both that clearly read, "GLEEK SOLD OUT".

What did the people who bought WT sets after that sign was posted think they were buying?

I haven't heard them say that, so I don't know if it's right or not. However, I read every Facebook posting, Q & A, and everything else they put out and that doesn't sound familiar.

Not saying it's definitely false, but I need citation to be convinced.

Hey folks,

I want to make sure if their are any lingering questions about SDCC that I get all the info out there. Post your questions in this thread and I’ll check back later today to answer. Please try to keep the questions direct.

For the record, most exclusives will be limited to 6 per person per wait in line. Most items will be available after the show on Mattycollector.com on Aug 3 at 12:00 noon Eastern time.

Our two fan panels are both opn Friday in room 2. DC Collectables is at 11, and Mattypalooza featuring Ghostbusters and MOTUC is at 1.

See you at the show!

Matty

—-

Okay, lets see if we can cover this!

The following will be sold at SDCC:

Egon with Slimer – $20.00

He-Ro with SDCC stamp – $20.00

CARS Firefighter Mater set – $30.00

JLU Green Lantern 3 Pack – $20.00

MOTU Art book – $50.00

Buzz Lightyear with chase ANDY on foot- $15.00

Wonder Twins with Gleek – $40.00

3 3/4″ AntiMonitor $10.00 or free with 50 points

Gleek, “SDCC Stamp” He-Ro and “Andy Foot” Buzz are only available at the show. The versions of these toys available on Mattycollector.com will be without Gleek (Wonder Twins), the SDCC logo (He-Ro) and “Andy” on the foot (Buzz). Make sense?

Sales will start on preview night. We may “sell out” of product each day, but we have divided all of the product into shipments for each day, so even if we sell out one day, we will get more the next to ensure as many guests can get these figures as possible.

—-

We will have some other merchandise including the following:

DC Barbies

Simpsons Scene It

MOTUC He-Man, Skeletor and Beastman (limit 1 of each per guest on these due to limited stock)

DCUC, IH and JLU stands

Plus a few other surprises.

All sales will be at a new additional retail booth. We will have 8 different registers to help move the line along with a full staff to run this booth.

We will accept cash, Visa and Mastercard only.

We do have plans to re-release a non slimed version of Egon down the road, but it won’t be anytime soon.

We will start selling Preview Night and the goal is to have all items available Preview Night (but you never know what might happen, so we don’t want to make any false promises, but we will do our best to have all items ready to buy.

If the line goes beyond the ropes off area, we will hand out fast pass tickets for you to return to the line a few hours later. More details will be available at the show once we see how long the line gets.

—-

We do highly encourage people to wait until Friday or Saturday to buy their items. Each year we have a long line on Wednesday night but by Friday most guests can just walk up to the booth and buy the same items. Please keep this in mind as you do your shopping. We can’t guarantee we won’t sell out of something, but we can guarantee the lines will be shorter!

We can not reveal production numbers, but we do have different shipments for the online sales. We are not just brining “whatever is left over” online. We have extra production above and beyond what is going to SDCC for online sales on Aug 3 at 12:oo noon Eastern Time.

If thats how you read it thats great, and perhaps in Mattel's bad wording maybe thats what they meant, but it certainly not clearly stated as such especially when they previously reported otherwise on all the toy news websites and magazines including the comic-con website.

Even if they had plainly said on their Facebook page at some point "oh by the way we are not going to have enough gleeks to go with the Twins at the con," what they have 3k members on that page? out of all the collectors out there can you honestly sit there and say Mattel would have done a sufficient job of informing the public before hand by only posting once there in a mirad of other stuff?? I mean seriously wouldn't you think at the very least they would have told people at the con who were buying the figures that "oh hey we are sold out of Gleeks so do you still want to buy this????"""

What would you have Mattel do? Cold-call every single DCUC fan at their houses? They posted the info on the site where there are the most # of fans looking for info- their Facebook page. I only knew about it because anytime they post new stuff on Facebook, someone on Fwoosh re-posts or links to it in the appropriate thread.

I assumed TNI and every other fansite has similar people who do they same for their respective boards, but clearly TNI at least doesn't care as much about getting facts straight.

Well kissing their asses doesn't seem to work so might as well be honest and pull no punches with regards to the issues we genuinely have with their inept handling of certain things.

Frankly I grow tired of the Mattel apologists telling everyone they should just be grateful for just having the figures or be grateful for getting at least the Twins on Matty etc. And their constant trembling at the knees like fanboys when Toy Guru pops up in a thread.

No it is the other way around--Mattel should be grateful we spend our hard earned money on their merchandise--some of which is sloppily painted and misassembled with poor distribution. I'm not worried about offending them with my criticisms.

And you shouldn't. If you honestly believe something then you stand by that. But are you willing to not buy their stuff until they get their act together? Let me ask you, why should they get their act together? They're constantly screwing things up yet you still buy their product. Next year they'll probably do the same thing with the con exclusive and you'll be pissed again and you'll still buy their stuff. For all their "sloppily painted and misassembled with poor distribution" mishaps you still buy them. Which means there is zero, ZERO reason they need to change things. By purchasing their merchandise you are giving them thumbs up to what they're doing. You are endorsing them. And they won't change until you stop endorsing them.

What would you have Mattel do? Cold-call every single DCUC fan at their houses? They posted the info on the site where there are the most # of fans looking for info- their Facebook page. I only knew about it because anytime they post new stuff on Facebook, someone on Fwoosh re-posts or links to it in the appropriate thread.

I assumed TNI and every other fansite has similar people who do they same for their respective boards, but clearly TNI at least doesn't care as much about getting facts straight.

this site does as well. every major story is relayed here. maybe TNI isnt just ass-kissing? someone needs to hold them accountable