Mattel Monkeys Around With Collectors Again

JayC

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now with the economy the way it is Mattel should be counting its lucky stars that it not only has one but two of the most high profile and successful toy lines out there right now and that people manage to put back enough money to buy a 30 dollar MOTUC figure or 120 dollars for a complete DC wave of figures.

The last thing they should do is rock the boat when you have a successful line and a returning consumer base. But that is exactly what they did with Gleek. Mattel should simply stop with the exclusives. The DCUC line is successful no need for an exclusive to shine the spotlight on it especially in such a negative manner as Gleek has.

There simply is no need for an exclusive DC figure beyond Matty. In this day and age when you are already paying 15 dollars a figure the last thing is you want is a hassel and there are plenty of other hassels associated with DCUC that Mattel doesn't need another with a missing figure and that is what Gleek is--a figure not an accessory.

Jay, get your facts straight.

Mattel said from the start that Gleek was a polybagged giveaway extra. Fwoosh had THREE of them to give away. You talk like Mattel handed them thousands to distribute. The fact is that when Comic-Con commissions a company to create these kinds of exclusives, the company at hand CANNOT sell them outside of the convention. Mattel can only give them away without purchase. It's the same exact reason that you don't see Dc Universe wave 5 at Kmart or Mattycollector.com. Mattel could just burn them if they wanted. They aren't seeing any profit from this.

mattel isnt a bad company, its just that theyre having trouble with their distrubition. maybe its them, maybe its retailers. at any rate, theyve pretty much cleared up the QC thing, but people will still try to find a way to gripe about that. but calling them "bad" because of the monkey? look, the con exclusive thing has been going on since forever. theyre have always been people (myself included) that miss out on the con stuff...sad, but too bad. should gleek have been part of the pack?...yes. but he's not. what is it going to take to get through to people that nothing you say will get you gleek! no amount of crying or complaining is gonna make it happen. now what i will say about mattel is that theyre dumb! i wouldnt of made gleek an exclusive....they knew that people were going to react like this! they shouldve made gleek in the wonder twins purple uniform the exclusive.(maybe add in some extra pack ins) all in all...its over, and the "new found" gleeks should go to the people that went to the con.

Right now with the economy the way it is Mattel should be counting its lucky stars that it not only has one but two of the most high profile and successful toy lines out there right now and that people manage to put back enough money to buy a 30 dollar MOTUC figure or 120 dollars for a complete DC wave of figures.

The last thing they should do is rock the boat when you have a successful line and a returning consumer base. But that is exactly what they did with Gleek. Mattel should simply stop with the exclusives. The DCUC line is successful no need for an exclusive to shine the spotlight on it especially in such a negative manner as Gleek has.

There simply is no need for an exclusive DC figure beyond Matty. In this day and age when you are already paying 15 dollars a figure the last thing is you want is a hassel and there are plenty of other hassels associated with DCUC that Mattel doesn't need another with a missing figure and that is what Gleek is--a figure not an accessory.

You said IT!!!!!!!!!!

The name of the game is making your customers happy, exclusives do not make anyone happy except those selling the set with Gleek for 80 - 100 on ebay right now. That price increase and all of these poor choices will bring them ruin, I know that I have scaled back my collecting big time, no more four sets for me anymore and I think I am just tired of giving them my money and feeling like they don't respect the collecting community which I believe in what fuels their boy/male lines.

Mattel said from the start that Gleek was a polybagged giveaway extra. Fwoosh had THREE of them to give away. You talk like Mattel handed them thousands to distribute. The fact is that when Comic-Con commissions a company to create these kinds of exclusives, the company at hand CANNOT sell them outside of the convention. Mattel can only give them away without purchase. It's the same exact reason that you don't see Dc Universe wave 5 at Kmart or Mattycollector.com. Mattel could just burn them if they wanted. They aren't seeing any profit from this.

uh...where is it they only had 3? cuz now there is another site that got some from the fwoosh. i thought they had 100?

I'm a DC fan, and I'm not buying the wonder twins. I can go without them. But the problem is MATTY themselves. They know that have a hot toy line, be it DC or motuc. So in a market where people want those items, and there is not enough (ever) everything sell outs. I wish I could do the same with motuc, but I like the line so much more than DC, I never had a wonder twins set as a kid, so it wont bother me to not have it now. Matty has a collectors line, to bad its for them COLLECTING ARE MONEY. Thats matty style for you.

Great. Like it's not bad enough I'm waiting for a Twins set with Gleek to arrive, and paid a fortune off eBay for it, but now I have to worry if a Gleek is in it? If it's not, it's being sent back.

I see myself getting Green Arrow when that comes out, but I'm jumping ship and heading back over to DC Direct. Loving the Blackest Night figures.

You know, we're on a toy sitem, what the hell else is there to talk about?? I mean come on. I'm sure there are other more important issues to discuss, but not on a friggin board devoted to toys!!!!!

Oh and cjfan, damn if your broken record of bringing up Marvel isn't getting old! It's obvious you support DC and Mattel, so why come into a thread that's obviously going to diss your brand of choice?? Why do you feel the need to argue and fight those venting against your brand?? It's not like you own a stake in the respected companies?? Or do you??? :D

Lady Jaye, you have no idea what your talking about and I know this is the pot calling the kettle black but it's obvious you just wanted to pick a fight. I'm happy to oblige.

How do you know what my brand of choice is? In this topic alone alone I have discussed my enjoyment and recent disappointment over Hasbro Marvel Legends and also criticized Mattel for their recent transgressions over the Wonder Twins situation. Feel free to open your eyes at any time. Also, perhaps you remember this gem:

http://forums.toynewsi.com/index.php?showt...;#entry16531750

where I discussed why I'm not collecting DCUC anymore. So how am I supporting Mattel when I don't even buy their stuff? I tried MOTU and they blew it. I tried DCUC and they blew it. I tried JLU and while they didn't blow it the line just didn't interest me that much. Oh and if I had stock in Mattel I would have dumped it years ago so there goes all your clearly well-thought out theories.

My point (if you bothered to read it) was about some idiot (and if you read some of his comments from last week that's putting it nicely) who points out the problems Mattel is having and doesn't even bother to look at the mistakes Hasbro has made, just blindly praises them as a superior company. They both have done things wrong and neither has the right to brag about which has a better six inch superhero toy line.

Now my real point about all this is why you people constantly put down DCUC then salivate when they announce a new wave but it's obvious none of you care about that. I'm not the one bitching and moaning about everything Mattel does wrong but still continuing to hand them money. Do whatever you want I guess. Tell me, when you go to a restaurant and find out the food sucks and the service is bad, do you go back the next night and place an order just so you can complain that the food sucks and the service is bad?

And why are you singling me out when pooda and Gator did the same thing? I guess it's because you have me all figured out. Since you know so much about me you probably know that I bought Kenner/Hasbro products for 13 years and counting. I also bought Mattel stuff too, but to a lesser degree, as well as Toy Biz, DC Direct, Sideshow, Hot Toys and a whole lotta others, but not nearly as long as I've collected Hasbro. So you either knew all that and you're just starting a fight or you didn't know that and you were talking out of your ass. Pick one.

wheeljack locked the last topic we had on all this stuff, im sure hell do it again soon...

If everyone keeps it civil then no mod will have a need to lock anything.

Actually they had a case (about 100) to give away, some each day between tuesday and saturday. That was a "caption the picture" contest for existing fwoosh members. The 3 currently available are a separate contest for signing up for AFP's newsletter, facebook, or twitter.

Not saying you're wrong, but uh, how did Sonic Arm Cyborg and Unmasked Batman Beyond end up at everyone's Target and Wal-Mart? And how do all those convention exclusives (Giganta, Lobo, Invader four pack, Soundwave, etc.) end up on the companies respective Web sites?

Again, NOT saying you're wrong, but I am asking you to clarify.

wheeljack locked the last topic we had on all this stuff, im sure hell do it again soon...

If everyone keeps it civil then no mod will have a need to lock anything.

Don't worry I have the medicine for the hate!

Ok TNI sing louder!!! -- everybody look around there's a reason to rejoice you see, everybody come out and let's commence to siging joyfully

Seriously, I just bought another set with Gleek online (80.00 including shipping), no sense in paying 50.00 (including shipping) for a set without him. I hope they hardly sell any of them through their website and get taught a valuable lesson, don't mess with the collecting community, their job is to serve us with their products, not annoy us.

Not saying you're wrong, but uh, how did Sonic Arm Cyborg and Unmasked Batman Beyond end up at everyone's Target and Wal-Mart? And how do all those convention exclusives (Giganta, Lobo, Invader four pack, Soundwave, etc.) end up on the companies respective Web sites?

Are you that slow? You can't break a contract with a company that no longer exists. When Kaybee went out of business, they sent there remaining stock back to Mattel, so therefore Mattel can sell them to whomever, and where ever they please. That's why.

Jesus!!!

Wow arowdygator....Never assume...you know what they say when you assume

This is lame compared to that last thread and much lighter then anything down in GD right now

Are you that slow? You can't break a contract with a company that no longer exists. When Kaybee went out of business, they sent there remaining stock back to Mattel, so therefore Mattel can sell them to whomever, and where ever they please. That's why.

Jesus!!!

And what do you have to say about the other part of the question wise-ass? If companies like Mattel and Hasbro have contracts to not sell convention exclusives outside the convention then why do they pop up on their respective Web sites right after?

If you going to be a troll, at least be a thorough one.

Wow arowdygator....Never assume...you know what they say when you assume

This is lame compared to that last thread and much lighter then anything down in GD right now

General discussion is a rough place to visit.

Actually, they did mention Gleek might not be available for the entire con:

FROM MATTY'S FACEBOOK PAGE/Monday, April 20, 2009 at 1:59pm

Toy Fans,

Wanted to give everyone a few updates on upcoming product and order details.

1: We are fixing or have fixed all of the problems that occured last week with Mer-Man. Honestly, all of these issues came from way more fans then expected ordering this product. Not only have we increased bandwidth to accomodate, but this will help us work out production runs going forward to make sure we have enough product for fan demands. We did not intend for this to happen and we are doing everything we can to correct it ASAP.

I personally appologize again for all the fans who could not get their order through. We are going to offer free shipping to all the fans we over sold to whose orders will be filled by the second shipment coming at the end of April. Once we can confirm the onsale date for Mer Man's second shipment we will anounce it here and on the site.

2: We are also aware that some of the figures are not shipping in as mint condition as we have asked for. The fix this, all figures going forward (starting in July) will have an outer shipper box. (much like the DCU and JLU figure sets). We implemented this as soon as we could and it looks like the first figure to get this box will be He-Ro. All figures after him will have an outer shipping box too.

3: A few clarification on some of the SDCC items from fan posts:

- We did not include a masked JLU Hal Jordan head simply because we do not have the right to do a masked JLU style Hal Jordan do to the Holiday toy from a few years back. The pack we produced with swappable heads is the closest we can get within our contract to do a JLU Hal Jordan.

-We will announce limits and buying details in the next month or so. The same buying limits which apply at the convention will apply online.

-Gleek is indeed our SDCC exclusive and will not be available after the show. In fact, he may "sell out" before the show is over so be sure to get your Wonder Twins set early. There will not be Gleeks left over after the show. He is designed to be a reward for fans who come out to the show to make it special much like we did with Keldor, Grundy, Catwoman and white/clear ManBat in the past. None of these figures were available online just as Gleek will only be at the show.

But now that we have MattyCollector.com, we will indeed put the other items which are available first at SDCC online soon after the show. We don't yet have an onsale date yet, but ideally this will be the sometime the week after the show.

We are still a good few months out and will post all of the ordering details well in advance. Hang tight, but we do promise to make sure our fans are up to date well in advance of any sales.

And once again, I appologize for the mishapes with last weeks Mer Man. We are doing everything we can to work with Digital River to ensure this never happens again!

Best,

Matty

Now, obviously they didn't expect to be left with the extra box, but they did what they could with it to be as fair as possible. Better to give them out rather than sell them, right?

And it was mentioned time and again that Gleek would be in a seperate package. If you bought one without knowing or properly checking he was included that is no one's fault but your own. People need to take responsibility for their own actions, or perhaps 'lack there of' in this case.

Yeah, here's their announcement about Gleek being seperate. It's on the same page as the last one I posted:

FROM MATTY'S FACEBOOK PAGE/ Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 11:13am

San Diego Comic Con updates

Hey toy fans,

With the news of our SDCC figures spreading all over the web, thought I’d take a moment to clarify some questions fans had.

1: Yes, these are our SDCC figures. It was not an April Fool’s joke. (but we did get some of you huh?)

2: Yes, all of the action figure exclusives will be sold online after the show (ideally that Monday, but it is too far off right now to tell) on Mattycollector.com.

3: Yes there are a few other exclusives to reveal for the Hot Wheels brand. These will also be available online after the show on Hotwheelscollector.com. Look for more details soon.

4: Yes, Gleek is only available at the show. He is not in the package with the Twins but rather will be poly bagged as a “gift with purchase”. Why did we do this? Well simply, in years past we did not have online distribution through my awesome website Mattycollector.com. In years past the ONLY way to get any of the exclusives was at the show. Now that we have online sales, we wanted to find a way to still reward fans who come out to the show with an exclusive only at the show, and Gleek will only be a gift with purchase in San Diego. Will everyone be happy with this, maybe not, but at least the main items are online. In years past you couldn’t even get any of them without being at the show, now at least you can get the Twins online even if Gleek is not with them. This is why they are called show exclusives, because they are only at a show.

5: Yes, Hal’s head is removable and swappable. The reason Abin is nor in his animated uniform is to recreate Hal in two iconic uniforms, modern and vintage. Why does he not have his mask? Well because contractually we can not offer Hal this way. Period. But in the original story SOS Green Lantern he does not wear a mask and this set pays homage to that. And really, this was the best way for us to get Hal in the JLU line. It may not be what everyone wants, but we think it is darn cool.

6: He-Ro, like the other exclusives will be available online after the show. And you will learn why he has a star covered Power Sword in his bio…. Also, his package will be the same as a standard MOTUC figure, no electronics, so he can ship world wide.

7: We will have a brand new second booth this year to handle sales which will be run by our Toy Club, the same professional retailers who run our Mattel Toy Stores throughout the US. We will have limits (likely 3-5 per item) which we will announce well before the show as well as additional details. We will take cash and credit cards and we will ideally be selling on Preview Night (we are still working these details out with SDCC as they have lots of rules this year about when and how companies can sell exclusives). But we will be holding back product each day. So even if we sell out on Thursday, we will have more on Friday, Saturday and Sunday to make sure everyone gets a shot to buy. Traditionally the lines are much shorter on Saturday and Sunday, so don’t feel you HAVE to buy early on.

8: Yes we will have other product to sell including just a few He-Man, Beastman and Skeletors as well as a few other hard to find products and other current retail products. We won’t know what these are until closer to the show.

9: The AntiMonitor points will be redeemable at our main product booth. So if you just want your free AntiMonitor for 50 points and your raffle tickets for every 25 points (including the first 50) you don’t need to wait in the retail line. You will have the option of also buying an AntiMonitor (3 ¾” scale) for $10.00 at the retail booth if you don’t have points. You are limited to only one free figure however. Any additional points will get you additional raffle tickets for each 25 points you have. We will raffle off at least one hand made 30” AntiMonitor each day and you do not need to be present to win. We will post the winning ticket number. If the figure is not claimed by the following day’s auction it will be re-raffled off.

10: Is it possible to change anything now? (like offering Gleek in the Twins pack) All of the exclusives are far enough along in the process that we are going forward as is. Any changes now would mean the product will be delayed and not make the show.

Okay, I think that covers all the main points. Obviously we are very excited for this year’s show. It looks to be our biggest presence ever with tons of surprises in store. We’ll have more updates as we get closer to the show.

See you all in San Diego. I’ll be there to meet and greet in person!

-Matty

Wow, that all took almost a whole 20 minutes to dig up. Now let's have a big round of applause for journalistic ingenuity at it's finest!

Mattel won't do a damn thing!! Those who wanted Gleek are stuck out!! Mattel it seems has a bunch of monkeys running the boys division!! They are running this, what could be the greatest comic line, into the ground!!! I mean what the hell is going on??? Raising prices, extremely limited items, shotty product, and this "we won't change our minds no matter how wrong we are" mentality is going to end this line sooner than later!!!

Jay C, I wish you would have made an announcement or covered the MOTU art book fiasco as well!!! Monkeys I tell you, monkeys!!!

SPeaking of high prices, the price on the art book alone is a joke... you are pretty welll paying a buck per page... aside from 3 pages you get 'free" LOL! Maybe... just maybe if this was a hard cover it would not be so bad.... but even then...