Mattel Monkeys Around With Collectors Again

JayC

OK, ok. so i made a mistake and a typo!! so sue me!!

um..."professioner"?

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sad thing about all of this surrounding Gleek is that had Mattel made Gleek available at SDCC and Matty on Monday there would have been none of this backlash that has spread across the internet for the last week. If they just had to have a SDCC exclusive put the SDCC logo on Gleek's chest in place of his "G" and sell the regular Gleek on Matty like they did with He-Ro.

Agreed.

I think if Mattel wanted the sdcc ver unique, they should have made the packaging an exclusive

There is the whole Keldor controversy in how everyone wanted one However, it was handled better whereas the fig was re-released in a white box(rather than the sdcc mailer box) for the 500? he-man.org posters.

The point about that was that it made a lot of ppl happy even though the cover box was different

If Mattel cared about exclusives bein SDCC only, they should have just made a set w/o the fancy bells and whistes auido/lights feature

I doubt a lot of folks would be mad about not being able to get a package that talks as oppose to a figure.

I currently collect the Pixar Cars line, Justice League figures, DC Universe Classics and a few of the Masters of the Universe Classics figures. I've gone to thinking nothing about Mattel a few years ago to becoming aware of so many mistakes they make. I have no confidence in Mattel at all any more and am on the verge of boycotting their products all together.

I will not be buying the Wonder Twins on Monday without Gleek and when the DC Universe Classics figures hit $15 each as they are rumored to do I will no longer collect any Mattel product nor will I buy any for my children.

Well fellas, it's time to put your money where your mouth is.

If you're really upset about this situation then it's time to vote with your wallet. No more crying on the boards, no more fighting with each other and no more DCUC toys.

After the complaints about QC issues, distribution problems and now availability of exclusives there's enough reasonable evidence to take your money elsewhere.

If any of you are truly pissed off about Mattel's business practices then you should send them a letter stating your disappointment towards the handling of DC Universe Classics and that you'll be spending your money elsewhere.

If you truly feel that Mattel doesn't care about you as a collector and a fan then you won't buy their products anymore. You can cry foul on this board and to your friends at home all you want but until you formally tell them that you're not buying their stuff (via e-mail or letter) then they won't care. And even then they still might not, but if you don't like how a company operates why do you buy they're stuff?

the funny thing is that i went back to mattel on sunday right before con closed to see if they could exchange i gleek i had gotten that was broken and told me they were sold out and had no more. and now they have a case that should have gone to peopel that didnt get it or at least the first few orders of the wondertwind online on monday.

hasbro wouldn't do this. then again, hasbro likes to please while mattel loves to piss off fans.

True

It is great that Hasbro makes their exclusives available in abundance at their webpage. They even restock SDCC exclusives once they are sold out (they did that the previous ml set)

Maybe the Gleek incident will let Mattel know how not to release another exclusive. Maybe it is best to have the monkey available as oppose to havin it only sold at the show floor. IMO, I think in the biz perspective, it is more logicial to let anybody be able to get gleek rather than a few

hey im a DC guy, and ya im frustrated with mattels hijinks, BUT lest us forget that hasbro KILLED the ML line. remember the uproar over that? lets not all think that hasbro has not made its missteps. they are just now bringing ML back next year.

Good call Gator. Here we have another example of a person who conveniently forgets the problems of other companies to crap on another one. I personally liked the majority of the Hasbro Marvel Legends and after a huge hiatus gave up on them.

But now they make their "triumphant" return with a bunch of two packs they showed off two years ago and a fan vote where they show you 18 figures-most of them either beyond obscure or already in figure form-and you pick three and they pick three (and considering there was a Hulk and a Wolverine in there we can guess two of them already). Rejoice.

This business with Gleek is nothing compared to what Hasbro is doing. They might has well have spit in your face.

the funny thing is that i went back to mattel on sunday right before con closed to see if they could exchange i gleek i had gotten that was broken and told me they were sold out and had no more. and now they have a case that should have gone to peopel that didnt get it or at least the first few orders of the wondertwind online on monday.

That probably would have been a better moneymaking scenario.

hasbro wouldn't do this. then again, hasbro likes to please while mattel loves to piss off fans.

Unless youre an Indiana Jones fan

anyway...i went to SDCC and got my Wonder Twins and didnt get a Gleek....LAME...Character exclusives are LAME!!! I love holes in my collections!

True

It is great that Hasbro makes their exclusives available in abundance at their webpage. They even restock SDCC exclusives once they are sold out (they did that the previous ml set)

Maybe the Gleek incident will let Mattel know how not to release another exclusive. Maybe it is best to have the monkey available as oppose to havin it only sold at the show floor. IMO, I think in the biz perspective, it is more logicial to let anybody be able to get gleek rather than a few

hey im a DC guy, and ya im frustrated with mattels hijinks, BUT lest us forget that hasbro KILLED the ML line. remember the uproar over that? lets not all think that hasbro has not made its missteps. they are just now bringing ML back next year.

I have not forgettin that Hasbro had problems with their ML line. The point l was making ISN'T about quality control on that particular toyline(that is for another thread) but rather, how Hasbro handled exclusives (whether it is marvel or their own in house lines) in the past. With the exception of their DP Destro exclusives, Hasbro has been great in havin exclusives available. l simply referred to the savageland boxset since it was one of the recent exclusives l remembenr where hasbro restocked the set months after the con.

As for the ML line being crummy, it is unrelated on how Hasbro handles convention exclusives. One of the reasons ML died is because of the strange articulation and lack of paint applications. The ml line was dying even before the nemesis wave delays (I mention that in case someone bring it up as the main cause of the ml being dead).

Every toy company has its flaws but when it comes to exclusives availablity, hasbro handles it well.

ummm no, hasbro just decieded not to produce anymore cuz they can charge the same price for a figure that is a fraction of the size, (MU vs ML). most have wanted the last wave that is just now coming out. it didnt die because of articulaiton. ya they had QC issues as well but the product was still being purchased.

yes i do agree that hasbro handles its exclusives well, meaning if you want one you can get it.

no where did i say antying about QC issues in thier ML line. please have a grasp on the post before you ramble about as you just did.

i was simply saying how everyone is saying Hasbro is great, but people are forgetting the missteps they have as well.

The sad thing about all of this surrounding Gleek is that had Mattel made Gleek available at SDCC and Matty on Monday there would have been none of this backlash that has spread across the internet for the last week. If they just had to have a SDCC exclusive put the SDCC logo on Gleek's chest in place of his "G" and sell the regular Gleek on Matty like they did with He-Ro.

Agreed.

I think if Mattel wanted the sdcc ver unique, they should have made the packaging an exclusive

There is the whole Keldor controversy in how everyone wanted one However, it was handled better whereas the fig was re-released in a white box(rather than the sdcc mailer box) for the 500? he-man.org posters.

The point about that was that it made a lot of ppl happy even though the cover box was different

If Mattel cared about exclusives bein SDCC only, they should have just made a set w/o the fancy bells and whistes auido/lights feature

I doubt a lot of folks would be mad about not being able to get a package that talks as oppose to a figure.

i agree, the fancy set up shoulda been the exlcusive

True

Good call Gator. Here we have another example of a person who conveniently forgets the problems of other companies to crap on another one. I personally liked the majority of the Hasbro Marvel Legends and after a huge hiatus gave up on them.

But now they make their "triumphant" return with a bunch of two packs they showed off two years ago and a fan vote where they show you 18 figures-most of them either beyond obscure or already in figure form-and you pick three and they pick three (and considering there was a Hulk and a Wolverine in there we can guess two of them already). Rejoice.

This business with Gleek is nothing compared to what Hasbro is doing. They might has well have spit in your face.

If you mean me conveniently forgets, I didn't. As stated in page 1, I mentioned how Hasbro was good in distributing exclusives to add on with the comment, "hasbro wouldn't do this. then again, hasbro likes to please while mattel loves to piss off fans." I even said that because of the lack of paint and bizarre articulations, the ml line died.

I was agreein that hasbro would not do somethin like this in regards to exclusives and not necessarily with the quality of their figures in general. I don't see how this has anything to do with the problems that hasbro had the legends line since they are both unrelated. True, both lines have their faults, but this thread isnt' about the qualityy control of the DC line but rather than the distribution of the gleek fig

True

If you mean me conveniently forgets, I didn't. As stated in page 1, I mentioned how Hasbro was good in distributing exclusives to add on with the comment, "hasbro wouldn't do this. then again, hasbro likes to please while mattel loves to piss off fans." I even said that because of the lack of paint and bizarre articulations, the ml line died.

I was agreein that hasbro would not do somethin like this in regards to exclusives and not necessarily with the quality of their figures in general. I don't see how this has anything to do with the problems that hasbro had the legends line since they are both unrelated. True, both lines have their faults, but this thread isnt' about the qualityy control of the DC line but rather than the distribution of the gleek fig

I wasn't talking about you. I guess I should have clarified.

True

I have not forgettin that Hasbro had problems with their ML line. The point l was making ISN'T about quality control on that particular toyline(that is for another thread) but rather, how Hasbro handled exclusives (whether it is marvel or their own in house lines) in the past. With the exception of their DP Destro exclusives, Hasbro has been great in havin exclusives available. l simply referred to the savageland boxset since it was one of the recent exclusives l remembenr where hasbro restocked the set months after the con.

As for the ML line being crummy, it is unrelated on how Hasbro handles convention exclusives. One of the reasons ML died is because of the strange articulation and lack of paint applications. The ml line was dying even before the nemesis wave delays (I mention that in case someone bring it up as the main cause of the ml being dead).

Every toy company has its flaws but when it comes to exclusives availablity, hasbro handles it well.

ummm no, hasbro just decieded not to produce anymore cuz they can charge the same price for a figure that is a fraction of the size, (MU vs ML). most have wanted the last wave that is just now coming out. it didnt die because of articulaiton. ya they had QC issues as well but the product was still being purchased.

yes i do agree that hasbro handles its exclusives well, meaning if you want one you can get it.

no where did i say antying about QC issues in thier ML line. please have a grasp on the post before you ramble about as you just did.

i was simply saying how everyone is saying Hasbro is great, but people are forgetting the missteps they have as well.

Whenever people mentions HML as bad, they mention QC problems as the lead reason on why Hasbro killed the line. People said it died when the toyline was only sold in certain stores. Even if you didn't mention it, you implied it with the comment "Remember the uproar over that?." If I did not remember people complaining about the QC problem, I would not mention the QC issue.

True

I wasn't talking about you. I guess I should have clarified.

Was making sure.

True

Whenever people mentions HML as bad, they mention QC problems as the lead reason on why Hasbro killed the line. People said it died when the toyline was only sold in certain stores. Even if you didn't mention it, you implied it with the comment "Remember the uproar over that?." If I did not remember people complaining about the QC problem, I would not mention the QC issue.

i dont think i really died with HML, my point was that hasbro has pissed fans off as well with stupidty, (no more ML) as mattel has. (no gleek) get it?

All right we all got suckered in by an ill-informed poster (just to clarify by ill-informed poster I mean TMNT) so let's forget about it.

To help facilitate this I will say losing a box of exclusives at a convention is a bad thing, though taking in some criticism leveled here this isn't the first time Mattel has had a distribution problem. Now that more facts have come in-unlike last week where people were speculating-I can say this is a screw-up.

But like I said earlier if you think this is a great insult leveled upon a mountain of other great insults then you'd stop buying Mattel merchandise.

Holy CRAP!

Mattel continues to amaze me with their totally inept action figure department!

I haven't been a big supporter of them since they KILLED the MOTU line at retail. I honestly believe that 90% of us could handle their toylines better than they can.

I started collecting DCUC, but I hate the t-crotches and the constant reuse of the same body (which is poorly done, I might add). When DCUC went up to 12 bucks I stopped collecting them and have just picked up a few here and there. If they go to 15 bucks I won't buy anymore.

I have been buying the MOTUC stuff online, but only the ones that I like. And they are going to be doing a lot of crappy figures soon, so I will be skipping those too. And those figures have been hell to buy so far.

Anyhow, I hate mattel. They not only screw things up on accident, but now we see they don't try to make things better when they do. I didn't even see any sort of apology to those fans that went and were told that all the gleeks were gone.

It is a serious slap in the face to fans for them to send those extra figures to FWOOSH. How could they think that was a good way to distribute them out to collectors? NO, it is a good way to distribute them to FWOOSH members only!

What they should have done is have the people who went to SDCC and didn't get a gleek be able to get one of those 100. They could have accepted letters from people with a scan of their receipt, a picture of their receipt, etc and sent out a gleek to those people. They could have even accepted a picture of the freakin set (there is reason enough to believe that anybody who has a set of these in hand, went to SDCC to buy it!). Sure, it wouldn't have worked as well as people would like it, but it's a hell of alot better than saying "if you went to SDCC and didn't get your gleek because we told you it was sold out... OOPS. but we gave them to FWOOSH!"

Seriously. Mattel and Mattycollector.com are a-holes.

True

so what? you all must not hang around the marvel boards? hasbro has most of the marvel goers pissed because they do nothing but lie! the nemesis wave just made it to the US AFTER 2 YEARS, ALL of the new legends shown at con wer strickly repaints of other characters made to look like new ones...hasbro sucks. fact is, a con exclusive is a con exclusive...thats it! its not anyones fault that those that couldnt make it to con, just couldnt make it. at least matty didnt make the whole pack "con only", then you'd have a gaping hole in your collection. like jayc said...those gleeks should go to those that went to the con!

and as for the whiners, i say this in the immortal words of Ari Gold " get a f**king life! its over! youre done! finished! you had a chance, and you blew it! so get your sorry a**es up, jump back on the horse, and ride it into the f**king sunset! as for the rest of you that still have a ray of hope in this business...lets make f**king history!"(just kidding) seriously though....its over guys.

True

so what? you all must not hang around the marvel boards? hasbro has most of the marvel goers pissed because they do nothing but lie! the nemesis wave just made it to the US AFTER 2 YEARS, ALL of the new legends shown at con wer strickly repaints of other characters made to look like new ones...hasbro sucks. fact is, a con exclusive is a con exclusive...thats it! its not anyones fault that those that couldnt make it to con, just couldnt make it. at least matty didnt make the whole pack "con only", then you'd have a gaping hole in your collection. like jayc said...those gleeks should go to those that went to the con!

and as for the whiners, i say this in the immortal words of Ari Gold " get a f**king life! its over! youre done! finished! you had a chance, and you blew it! so get your sorry a**es up, jump back on the horse, and ride it into the f**king sunset! as for the rest of you that still have a ray of hope in this business...lets make f**king history!"(just kidding) seriously though....its over guys.

The Nemesis Wave! I knew I forgot something Hasbro screwed up. You sure it's only been two years?

Holy CRAP!

Mattel continues to amaze me with their totally inept action figure department!

I haven't been a big supporter of them since they KILLED the MOTU line at retail. I honestly believe that 90% of us could handle their toylines better than they can.

I started collecting DCUC, but I hate the t-crotches and the constant reuse of the same body (which is poorly done, I might add). When DCUC went up to 12 bucks I stopped collecting them and have just picked up a few here and there. If they go to 15 bucks I won't buy anymore.

I have been buying the MOTUC stuff online, but only the ones that I like. And they are going to be doing a lot of crappy figures soon, so I will be skipping those too. And those figures have been hell to buy so far.

Anyhow, I hate mattel. They not only screw things up on accident, but now we see they don't try to make things better when they do. I didn't even see any sort of apology to those fans that went and were told that all the gleeks were gone.

It is a serious slap in the face to fans for them to send those extra figures to FWOOSH. How could they think that was a good way to distribute them out to collectors? NO, it is a good way to distribute them to FWOOSH members only!

What they should have done is have the people who went to SDCC and didn't get a gleek be able to get one of those 100. They could have accepted letters from people with a scan of their receipt, a picture of their receipt, etc and sent out a gleek to those people. They could have even accepted a picture of the freakin set (there is reason enough to believe that anybody who has a set of these in hand, went to SDCC to buy it!). Sure, it wouldn't have worked as well as people would like it, but it's a hell of alot better than saying "if you went to SDCC and didn't get your gleek because we told you it was sold out... OOPS. but we gave them to FWOOSH!"

Seriously. Mattel and Mattycollector.com are a-holes.

What's incredible is they knew what killed the first MOTU line and pretty much followed the exact same formula to ruin the second line.

But here you are, still buying Mattel stuff. Sure they're a-holes as you described but apparently not huge a-holes because you're still giving them your money.

I may no longer collect them but I can already see when next year Mattle takes over the WWE figures. There going to miss them up as well to Wresting fans.

WOW I just came from mattycollector and seen the pics up for the Wonder Twins coming soon minus Gleek and stumbled upon this thread

I will have to try back and try to ge this set before its sold out

As for Gleek....

I'll bite the bullet sine its the Twins I wanted anyways

You know, we're on a toy sitem, what the hell else is there to talk about?? I mean come on. I'm sure there are other more important issues to discuss, but not on a friggin board devoted to toys!!!!!

Oh and cjfan, damn if your broken record of bringing up Marvel isn't getting old! It's obvious you support DC and Mattel, so why come into a thread that's obviously going to diss your brand of choice?? Why do you feel the need to argue and fight those venting against your brand?? It's not like you own a stake in the respected companies?? Or do you??? :D

There's a lot wrong with how Mattel handled this whole Gleek thing, but as a fan of many comic book toys and properties, who posts on many different websites, I'm upset with the special attention that the Fwoosh has gotten with this.

Just my personal opinion (so anyone can say what they'd like about it, but MY opinion cannot be refuted) is that the Fwoosh is an overly moderated board with an almost gentry-like group within it. I've been banned from the Fwoosh twice for providing links to over comic book message boards (including here) and they've even gone as far as deleting my custom action figure thread. In the past and on more than one occassion, I'd find myself trying to explain something on the Fwoosh meanwhile my thread would be promptly locked by a moderator as a group of several other mods used their priveleged status to dogpile with a response that I was incapable of answer to.

I'm not the only one who has faced this dynamic there.

Mattel handled the whole Gleek thing wrong and sending extras to the Fwoosh was another mistep and it doesn't make it right.

Just my 2 cents.